The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 113

• Page

of 178 First / Last

• Venkman90 28 Feb 2012 17:17:23 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sonnen is looking to fight Anderson in Brasil but it's not signed yet iirc. Pallhares is fighting Belcher soon I think, they are looking at Bisping v Munoz or Stann, not sure about Belfort.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2012 17:54:23
    I suppose once Anderson destroys Sonnen they'll look toward Munoz. There's not a contender at middleweight to get excited about.

I like Belcher when he's on form but half the time he does something stupid and gives the fight away.

Sadly I think he'll be hobbling out of the Octagon and taking some time off to recover from a knee injury after Palhares gets hold of him.

Munoz v Belfort makes sense, coming off wins. Stann v Bisping makes sense for the opposite reason. Or Maia might get his fight with Bisping.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2012 17:56:36
    There's a UFC this weekend I think, Kampmann vs Alves. As it's the main event I'm assuming it's 5 rounds, so hoping Kampmann can win it once Alves slows down. Should be a good one.
  • Venkman90 1 Mar 2012 21:15:05 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or Maia might get his fight with Bisping.
    At least Stann has a punchers chance, Maia would get tooled by Ping.

You are right though, MW has no real contenders after Chael, but I am betting Silva isn't far off retirment and wants to go out on top, beating Sonnen in Brazil might be just the time, without him it's an open division.

so hoping Kampmann can win it once Alves slows down
    Same here, Martin has been on the wrong end of two shitty decisions and even Daley landing flush couldn't actually drop him, I want to see him make a run.
  • Pike 2 Mar 2012 08:15:59 13,447 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:

Munoz v Belfort makes sense, coming off wins. Stann v Bisping makes sense for the opposite reason. Or Maia might get his fight with Bisping.
    Stann is fighting Sakara in Stockholm on April 14.

The Alves Kampmann fight is three rounds only. The contracts were signed before the UFC decided that Fuel and FX cards should also have five round main events.
  • craigy Staff 2 Mar 2012 10:04:20 7,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The middleweight division is a pretty sleepy place at the moment. Well, maybe sleepy isn't the right word. Competitive? If Bisping can get another win under his belt by the time Sonnen and Silva fight maybe he'll get a shot at the winner?
  • Pike 2 Mar 2012 10:31:36 13,447 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd say the right word for the MW division is weak. There is Silva and then some way behind Sonnen and then Munoz, Phalares, Okami and maybe Vitor Belfort. Apart from that there are really mostly a bunch of middling fighters, hence why the merely good Bisping is considered a legit top 10 MW.
  • Bahamafish 3 Mar 2012 09:00:07 378 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kampmann!! What a fight.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2012 22:28:08
    Just watched the Strikeforce event from the weekend. 5 first round armbar wins for Ronda Rousey and the latest won her the Bantamweight belt.

She absolutely destroyed Meisha Tates arm. Gross looking stuff, her elbow bent completely the wrong way at the end. She really should have tapped sooner.

Edited by spudsbuckley at 22:40:52 05-03-2012
  • craigy Staff 6 Mar 2012 09:03:19 7,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, was pretty grim. I hate watching armbars :-&
  • Venkman90 6 Mar 2012 11:02:08 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking hell Daley, one minute your beating Kampmann and nearly beating Diaz, now you are dropping 3 straight at SF?

BAMMA in your future Mr Inconsistent.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2012 02:57:13
    Edgar is getting his rematch with Bendo :(

Yawn.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2012 21:01:15
    The live qualifiers for The Ultimate Fighter were on last night. Few knockouts and subs but nothing amazing and no one really stood out. Few rather dire fights as well with neither guy really deserving to make the show.

Also, Faber and Cruz were mic-ed up and spent the entire time laughing and joking with each other so the whole "these guys fucking hate each other" thing completely goes out the window.
  • craigy Staff 11 Mar 2012 20:10:11 7,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The guy from Belfast looked absolutely mental in the intro crazy eyes and flared nostrils. Shame he had no skills in the cage.

What about that one punch knockout, though!

Dana et al being miked up was interesting -- Faber seemed really knowledgable about the various fighters and camps, but Cruz was a bit bland.

Not entirely sure the format worked, but at least they're trying something different.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2012 20:43:34
    I feel it worked if you were a keen MMA fan but for newbies it would be really weird.

Near total silence punctuated by murmured in-depth discussion and the odd shout from the fighters corners.
  • FalseAlibi 12 Mar 2012 12:15:38 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    can't really judge the new format yet, but compared to previous "opening fight into the house" episodes I think the inability to edit slow fights, get better post-fight responses and the rubbish audio made it pretty poor.

Also Dana's mini chats getting the inside track from the coaches ringside seemed awkward and flat.

The two stoppages for the early knockouts seemed a bit too quick as there wasn't even time to see if the person was stunned before the ref called it.

Hopefully the series proper will work fine, but then the frat house reality contrivence / prank wars aren't generally great TV.
  • craigy Staff 20 Mar 2012 16:25:18 7,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second episode of TUF was heartbreaking.

Did you know: Ken Shamrock is currently trying to put a fight together between himself and James Toney, which includes a "30-second standup" rule to make the fight fairer for Toney? Crazy.
  • shooter 5 Apr 2012 00:09:25 394 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Overeem u fuckn cunt. Travelling from Dublin to Vegas for this card and that juiced up prick just wrecked the main event, shocking

This should be the end of him in the UFC but ye know it wont be
  • El_MUERkO 5 Apr 2012 00:26:08 17,051 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sucks!
  • craigy Staff 5 Apr 2012 09:16:13 7,693 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking annoying! Reckon he'll try and get it cleared by a doctor like Rampage and Sonnen managed?
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Apr 2012 20:56:39 14,225 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sonnen used the "on-ball" trick to get away with it, and Dana being the hypocritical knob that he is, allowed those two because he liked the ratings they brought.

Can't say the same for Reem though. He certainly livens up the HW, and Dana & Co. do need him, but I just can't see Reem getting away with this one.

Sucks. We all knew he was on the special sauce, but to get caught out like this at this time is just not cool.
    What's annoying is he'd probably still be a ripped 230lbs HW naturally.
  • Matt_B 7 Apr 2012 16:59:28 444 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Todd Duffee is fighting right now. Live stream is up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdBhAERMWw&feature=player_embedded
  • senso-ji 7 Apr 2012 17:08:27 5,923 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always thought it was only a matter of time before Overeem got caught. The change in his body shape over the past few years was too insane to be considered natural.

@Matty_B - that was quick. Not heard of Duffee before; is he considered a future superstar in MMA?
  • Matt_B 7 Apr 2012 17:13:55 444 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, he used to be in the UFC. At one point in time he held the quickest KO, then his hype train got derailed by Mike Russow - not sure why he got axed though.
  • shooter 7 Apr 2012 17:55:18 394 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strong rumours that it could be Hendo V JDS, i know hendo fought fedor at heavyweight but i think this would be a bit of a mismatch, would still love to see it though.

Dana has confirmed that Mir and Cain wont be changed so only other condenter i see if not Hendo would be Werdum
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Apr 2012 00:56:56 14,225 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Duffee wasn't well-liked, and would no doubt have been caught for roid use (he's even bigger now).
  • MiniAmin 9 Apr 2012 17:34:28 3,426 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SUPA FITE LEEEEEEG
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Apr 2012 18:05:38 14,225 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, the commentary was awesome.

"Trying to put on the Americana, or would that be Indiana."

"She's got a great body on her.......body."
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Apr 2012 09:41:50 14,225 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    just seen the fight. Excellent domination by in. That outta shut the haters up.....for a while.
  • Blakester 22 Apr 2012 09:42:47 3,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK, can someone explain to me how Jones and Evans are in the same weight class?

Looked like a horrible mismatch.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Page

of 178 First / Last