The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 383

• Page

of 385 First / Last

• simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2017 12:07:56 4,717 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It makes sense, what else is there for him to achieve?

Even when he won the belt it felt like he'd walk away if he'd lost that fight never mind this one
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2017 12:09:10 4,717 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Majorly chuffed for Rose though. Underdog victory and she always seems like she's got her head screwed on right in interviews and backstage training type coverage.
  • superbob85 5 Nov 2017 12:19:33 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched the TJ v Garbrandt fight. Great performance by TJ I expected him to win but a decision. Very impressive by Rose as well pleased to see her get the belt.
  • Baihu1983 5 Nov 2017 12:30:00 9,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cody was too emotional going into the fight.

Touch gloves at the start... doesn't seem to go well for those that don't.
  • superbob85 5 Nov 2017 12:31:44 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You could see how much it meant to TJ after all the talk about the way he left alpha male.
  • senso-ji 5 Nov 2017 12:32:02 8,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the post fight presser Bisping said he was carrying on and wanted to fight in the London event in March. He didn't seem too down about losing so I'm sure he'll fight again.
  • superbob85 5 Nov 2017 12:39:25 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think he gets one more retirement fight in London he has deserved that.
  • Baihu1983 5 Nov 2017 12:45:42 9,342 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He looked very sluggish last night with very poor foot movement
  • craigy Staff 5 Nov 2017 21:03:53 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GSP! I love him. And I love that he finally seems to be enjoying his time in the cage. Cant get enough of his cheeky little smile. Was starting to get a bit worried cos his cardio was definitely fading before the knockdown. Props to Bisping for refusing to tap and going out like a gangster.

Whatís up with Wonderboy these days? He was lighting people up a year or two ago and now he looks completely gun-shy.

Is Johny done now? He canít hang at middle and thereís no way he can face going back down to welter.
  • craigy Staff 5 Nov 2017 21:04:58 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BTW, itís kinda freaky that Hendricks and GSP were both on the same card. And such dramatically different fortunes. USADA the real GOAT.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Nov 2017 22:06:48 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, glad I'm not a betting man! But I'm happy for the winners. Shocked at Rose and a little surprised to see GSP looking so good after all this time. I'm not sure he can hang with the top guys at 185 right now but he looked amazing tonight. Hendricks should retire at once.
  • senso-ji 5 Nov 2017 22:53:58 8,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    BTW, itís kinda freaky that Hendricks and GSP were both on the same card. And such dramatically different fortunes. USADA the real GOAT.
    USADA clearly forgot to test Costa, by the looks of him...
  • craigy Staff 6 Nov 2017 06:50:20 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No kidding. That guy terrifies me.
  • mothercruncher 6 Nov 2017 07:35:39 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was an awesome card. Rose beating the orc was poetic justice, and like GSP, very classy afterwards too That must be extremely hard to do after all that pressure and emotion... unless itís just in you because youíre a decent person.
    Iím going to get a little locket on a chain and put a tiny picture of GSPís grinning face in it so I can crack it open when Iím feeling down.
  • mothercruncher 6 Nov 2017 08:09:11 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of note- two of these new champs are part of the fighters union.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Nov 2017 08:28:24 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Is that still a thing? I haven't heard anything about it since they launched it.
  • craigy Staff 6 Nov 2017 08:41:57 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been thinking about what's next. Presumably now we're in the Superfights Era, George will relinquish the middleweight belt, drop down to welterweight, and fight a beefed up McGregor? They might have to clear up the situation with the interim belts before it happens, but even if that fight's not next, it's bound to happen somewhere down the line. Right? Or maybe George goes back down, takes the WW title from Woodley, then McGregor fights him? There are so many good matchups floating around at the moment.
  • DreadedWalrus 6 Nov 2017 08:43:46 1,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Is that still a thing? I haven't heard anything about it since they launched it.
    If so, it's weird that it's so quiet publicly. They haven't tweeted since November 2016, and their official site hasn't even had the copyright notice at the bottom updated to the current year.

Edited by DreadedWalrus at 08:44:44 06-11-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Nov 2017 08:45:44 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Been thinking about what's next. Presumably now we're in the Superfights Era, George will relinquish the middleweight belt, drop down to welterweight, and fight a beefed up McGregor?
    I really, really hope not. McGregor looked absolutely terrible at Welterweight, GSP would crush him.
  • superbob85 6 Nov 2017 08:50:22 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was it the first time 3 titles changed hands in a night.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Nov 2017 08:59:49 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sure was bob.
  • craigy Staff 6 Nov 2017 09:01:39 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Been thinking about what's next. Presumably now we're in the Superfights Era, George will relinquish the middleweight belt, drop down to welterweight, and fight a beefed up McGregor?
    I really, really hope not. McGregor looked absolutely terrible at Welterweight, GSP would crush him.
    That's why I think it would be glorious. McGregor is so entertaining but would look silly against such a complete fighter. He would have zero answers for GSP on the ground.
  • craigy Staff 6 Nov 2017 09:04:34 9,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DreadedWalrus I think it's safe to say that everyone got cold feet after Bjorn Rebney was unveiled as the figurehead. Out of the other "founding" athletes, Kennedy has retired, Cowboy is now on the way out, Cain is very much inactive. Pretty sure it's dead.
  • DreadedWalrus 6 Nov 2017 09:20:49 1,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found this pretty good article from just last week:

https://www.fightnewsaustralia.com/opinion-the-mmaaa-one-year-on/

From the looks of things, technically it's still going (and Kennedy supposedly claims they're in talks with 60% of the UFC's roster...), but in terms of the effect it's having, when members of the union are doing things like taking the UFC's side in the Demetrius Johnson dispute, it's effectively useless.

The article also makes a good case that members of the union might have just been using it as bargaining chips for their own personal gain, rather than caring about the fighters as a whole.

Edited by DreadedWalrus at 09:21:25 06-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 6 Nov 2017 09:50:12 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youíre probably all correct- itís going nowhere and has been little more than leverage to needle the UFC with when negotiating fight purses. It just could go somewhere now though.

Iím not sure I want McG/ GSP. Itíd be interesting to see how McGregorís camp attempted to solve that particular puzzle but Georges would just single or double leg him all day long, thereís not a damn thing he could do to stop it, and then itís a relatively easy GnP win. Plus, unless he goes full heel, what does McGregor tee off of when hyping the fight against MMAís Mr Nice Guy?
  • Rhaegyr 6 Nov 2017 09:57:31 3,913 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gutted to see Bisping getting choked out :(

Thought he did pretty well during the fight - I'm parroting the commentators here but he did some great damage on the ground from his back, those elbows were dicing GSP up. Genuinely thought he had the best chance of winning from the second round onwards too.
  • theguy 6 Nov 2017 13:09:25 931 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I did feel like if that fight went longer it would have moved more and more in Bisping's favour. GSP was slowing down, and Bisping's work from the bottom was very impressive. Got clipped in the exchange though and that was that.
    I was surprised by how quick GSP seemed to get tired, but I guess that's what happens when you take 4 years off and bulk up. Hope he defends it, won't be too surprised if he doesn't. Also would like to see TJ/DJ.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2017 13:17:53 11,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GSP was carrying far too much muscle, he needs to move down as soon as possible. Was great seeing him back, one of the most complete fighters to ever compete.
  • pratty 6 Nov 2017 19:40:14 326 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not surprised GSP won, he's one of the best ever, and while Bisbing is good and can beat anyone on his day, he's not that good.
  • superbob85 6 Nov 2017 20:21:27 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Taking nothing away from bisping great fighter but his recent wins haven't been that convincing. I was pretty sure GSP would get the job done.
  • Page

of 385 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.