The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread

• Page

of 178 First / Last

Previous
  • T.G. 28 Aug 2006 01:39:55 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...I'm not generally a fan of bloodsports TBH, but for some reason the UFC fights are different. Why? I don't know, it's just damned entertaining. Just thought I'd start up a UFC appreciation thread before I got back to watching Stephan Bonar (hopefully) get spanked.
  • Lukus 28 Aug 2006 01:43:02 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I chanced upon some rather violent fights on You Tube the other week. Can't remember if it was UFC or not, but it featured this hard as nails Croatian. After the initial shock at the level of violence, for the night I became a little addicted to watching this guy kicking the shit out of everyone!

Paintings & Photographs

• T.G. 28 Aug 2006 01:43:57 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Linkage?
  • Deleted user 28 August 2006 01:45:54
    Haven't watch this in a while, though it has given me the impetous to give martial arts a go (when I get a paying job). Is the Sambo guy still the heavyweight champ? He seemed unstoppable a few months ago (as did Chuck Lidell)
  • Lukus 28 Aug 2006 01:46:27 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll try and find it. Foolishly I didn't favourite it. Give me a minute...

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 28 August 2006 01:48:28
    UFC intrigues me. Any tips on a good place to start? :)
  • Deleted user 28 August 2006 01:50:09
    Have you got cable? It's replayed all the time on Bravo.
  • T.G. 28 Aug 2006 01:53:52 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote: Haven't watch this in a while, though it has given me the impetus to give martial arts a go (when I get a paying job). Is the Andre Arlovski still the heavyweight champ? He seemed unstoppable a few months ago (as did Chuck Lidell).
    No, he got beaten in the last two UFCs (narrowly) by the same guy. My view is he's still the best.

The first fight he lost to Tim Sylvia by knock-out. Fact is that he dominated him and rocked him until Sylvia got in a lucky punch. Fair dues though, the bastard has heavy hands.

The second fight he won in my opinion. He lost by a decision. Sylvia wasn't agressive and just played it cagey. Both guys went for 5 rounds though, it was decent enough.
  • Sid-Nice 28 Aug 2006 01:54:18 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    T.G. in posting a thread not concerning the big N shocker; I suppose if you combine the big N with UFC you get comedy. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• Kostabi 28 Aug 2006 01:55:44 4,932 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I prefer Pride FC to be honest, I've been watching it recently on Eurosport and even though the 'resetting' is kind of odd I find the fights a lot more entertaining than the average UFC match.

I'd much rather watch K-1 than Pride or UFC though.
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2006 01:55:59 32,460 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I chanced upon some rather violent fights on You Tube the other week. Can't remember if it was UFC or not, but it featured this hard as nails Croatian.
    Cro Cop, has to be. He currently fights in Pride.

Edited by ilmaestro at 01:56:29 28-08-2006

• jozz 28 Aug 2006 01:59:08 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    T.G. wrote:
    ...I'm not generally a fan of bloodsports TBH, but for some reason the UFC fights are different. Why?
    I think it's because it's a much purer 'sport' than Boxing and other full contact sports. Training, technique, conditioning and style are all much more intensive and complex. Which makes it a more entertaining spectacle to watch imo.

I've seen a couple of K-1 tournys and they seem a bit stilted to me. No knees or spinning backs hands and it all seems a bit like glamorised Kick-boxing. Bob Sapp always makes me laugh though :)

Edited by jozz at 02:00:20 28-08-2006
  • Deleted user 28 August 2006 01:59:15
    T.G. wrote:
    No, he got beaten in the last two UFCs (narrowly) by the same guy. My view is he's still the best.

The first fight he lost to Tim Sylvia by knock-out. Fact is that he dominated him and rocked him until Sylvia got in a lucky punch. Fair dues though, the bastard has heavy hands.

The second fight he won in my opinion. He lost by a decision. Sylvia wasn't agressive and just played it cagey. Both guys went for 5 rounds though, it was decent enough.
    Sylvia's the big guy right? Remember when he had his arm snapped and wanted to carry on! When he came back he was carrying a bit extra than before but I guess he's got back into shape. Remember when the result was the other way round, when the Russian guy just latched onto the guy's ancle. All good fun :)

Sylvia (if he's the guy I'm thinking of) is a big fan favorite though, imo he seemed to be pushed through the ranks quickly when he was obviously not in shape after coming back from injury. But a guy that size will always be dangerous I suppose (as the Russian dude found out).
  • T.G. 28 Aug 2006 02:01:18 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're both dangerous. No doubt. I think that Sylvia's main advantage is that he has a really good chin. Otherwise, I'd say that Arlovski is better in virtually every way...
  • Lukus 28 Aug 2006 02:03:12 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I chanced upon some rather violent fights on You Tube the other week. Can't remember if it was UFC or not, but it featured this hard as nails Croatian.

Yes, you're right! Thanks, it was doing my head in trying to remember! He's a right hard bastard!

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 28 August 2006 02:03:58
    That's him! Andre Arlovski!

Nice gum-shield as well.

Is Chuck still champ in the heavy-mids?
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2006 02:04:17 32,460 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

Yes, you're right! Thanks, it was doing my head in trying to remember! He's a right hard bastard!
    Glad to be of service. :)

• T.G. 28 Aug 2006 02:09:09 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lukus: UFC is far superior to that link. Far.
  • Lukus 28 Aug 2006 02:10:13 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah that wasn't the best linkage was it! I'm sure it was more hard core, the stuff I saw a few weeks ago.

Paintings & Photographs

• Kostabi 28 Aug 2006 02:10:53 4,932 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't judge any organisation on the strength of a Bob Sapp fight. He's just a bizarre monster.
  • T.G. 28 Aug 2006 02:14:23 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote: Yeah that wasn't the best linkage was it! I'm sure it was more hard core, the stuff I saw a few weeks ago.
    The UFC fights are generally more action-packed, bloodier (not that that's what you're looking for, just a statement of fact) and more skilled. That was kinda pathetic. A fight like that one in the UFC would look like a fix. A guy going down without a mark to show for it? Pfft...
  • Lukus 28 Aug 2006 02:17:21 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that must have been some kind of novelty fight. I believe the big guy was "just" a boxer. According to the comments his eye socket was damaged. I'll try and find something better. It was a bit of a hasty link. Must try harder!

Edited by Lukus at 02:17:33 28-08-2006

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 28 Aug 2006 02:49:47 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So much for more links. YouTube's being about as slow as Cheryl Tweedy.

Paintings & Photographs

• T.G. 28 Aug 2006 04:31:59 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jayzus, Ultimate Fighter 4 was very very bloody tonight. That guy's forehead bled like a stuck pig. Surprised it wasn't called off to be honest...
  • jozz 10 Oct 2006 19:08:52 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Encase anyone didn't know, the concluding bout of the Ortiz Vs Shamrock trilogy airs tonight in the US. Not on any UK channels afaik, so you'll have to aquire it by other means.

Really hope Ken pulls off an upset, preferably by TKO. Can't stand that smug twat Tito.

Couple of other fights too, mainly the runners up from Ultiamte Fighter 3.

First two fights
    ...and The fight card

Should be a good show :)

/popcorn

• T.G. 10 Oct 2006 19:12:37 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would give one of my kidneys to see the auld fella beat the snot out of Ortiz, but I think we all know that Shamrock is too old and too old-school to beat him. It's sad but true. :(
  • jozz 10 Oct 2006 19:18:17 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, we can hope he's learned some better defense in the guard to stop those damn elbows, at least :(
    Still trying to decide whether or not that second fight should have been stopped so early.

Ah well, 64 is right around the corner. Franklin Vs Silva is bound to be a good fight.
  • Tezzer 11 Oct 2006 23:36:24 144 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey!
    Anyone catch the Ortiz vs. shamrock III fight? i think i was on yesterday, i heared ortiz won, which is not surprising Tito si awesome...shamrocks a legend but hes too old now..even legends like Royce Gracie got beat =(

Yer so anyway...anyone know where i can watch the ortiz v shamrock fight? i had a look on youtube but doesnt seem to be uploaded yet.
  • jozz 11 Oct 2006 23:46:18 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yea, Ortiz won. There'll probably be a vid upped in the next couple of days. Not really worth it though. Only lasted about a minute :/

Tito won almost exactly like he did in the second fight. Strikes from within the guard. Although it was clearly not stopped too early this time. Ken announced his retirement too.

All the results

Ed Herman Vs. Jason MacDonald was probably the best fight. overall, I'd say.
  • jozz 16 Oct 2006 02:52:41 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What an upset :o

Rich's nose is fucked up.
  • Page

of 178 First / Last

Previous