Company of Heroes Page 29

• Page

of 29 First / Last

Next
  • vijay_UK 18 Sep 2010 09:45:38 2,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's F2P, and I read somewhere you can download the full, original Company of Heroes campaign for free. Looks like CoH:o could be great fun, I better get mine out of its shrink wrap...

http://www.companyofheroes.com/
  • triarii 2 Feb 2011 22:01:45 297 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bump.

Would anyone be up for a game or two of CoH? I'm a total novice but still...
  • caligari 9 Mar 2011 22:29:37 17,073 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've played through the Company of Heroes' games, and I feel like I need another fix.

Are the Dawn of War games very similar?
  • Rusty_M 10 Mar 2011 07:13:24 4,757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Similar enough for it to be obvious it was the same company who made them. I feel they have a quite different feel, but still feel pretty good.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Trafford 10 Mar 2011 07:31:38 5,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I've played through the Company of Heroes' games, and I feel like I need another fix.

Are the Dawn of War games very similar?

Dawn of War 2 is yes. Same emphasis on cover and frontline combat.
    In fact the whole play style is streamlined further with no base building and more customization of squads.
    It's like COH meets Diablo.

• Deleted user 3 August 2011 09:42:54
    Never played this before but it looks like something I'd love, is it worth getting the anthology?
  • Khosrau 3 Aug 2011 12:45:35 85 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Without a doubt. The last expansion doesn't add much tbh, but the main game and the Opposing Fronts exp are sublime.

Best RTS I've played, and I've played a lot of 'em. Graphics are still amazing today, as are the physics, sound and special effects. It has some basebuilding so it's pretty oldschool (which is good), but rewards an aggressive playstyle because of the resources you gain by controlling parts of the map (which is even better).

Play it, you won't regret it! It's a masterpiece in the realtime strategy department and a technical marvel.

Make sure once you've played through the game you check some of the great mods for CoH, like Eastern Front, Normandy '44 and Blitzkrieg (all at moddb.com).

The modding community is still very much alive and kicking, so there's still lots to look forward to, if you're interested.

• Deleted user 3 August 2011 12:58:49
    Never really checked out any mods before(it's been a long time since I played pc games) so I'll definitely check some out. Do you just have to install them?

You've sold me on the game anyway, and at 5 for the anthology it sounds like an absolute bargain.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2011 13:07:37 5,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    5 is a bargain. Get it and turn the volume up!
  • Deleted user 3 August 2011 13:09:07
    Just ordered it, anyone fancy some multiplayer once I get to grips with it?
  • Khosrau 3 Aug 2011 13:12:12 85 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If I remember correctly each of the mods I mentioned have their own installer. Luckily, mods nowadays aren't the hassle anymore as it used to be (generally speaking).

All these mods are still being worked on, but are already very polished as they are now, and add literally loads of content (ranging from lots of new units and historical correct skins to complete new factions, more realistic game mechanics and better skirmish AI). All very high quality.

Oh, and moddb.com really is THE place for mods. Just browse the game you want and the mods for that game will show, both finished and in development (or both).

I would advice to play the standard game first though, it really is very good in it's own right. Moreover, the mods are MP/Skirmish only as of now, so they might break the campaign (you can still play the main game once you installed mods though, and you can have more mods installed at once).

Anyway, enjoy the game! A fiver is a no-brainer for a game like this.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2011 14:28:58 5,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Just ordered it, anyone fancy some multiplayer once I get to grips with it?

I'll have you a game sometime mate. You in the Steam group?
  • Deleted user 3 August 2011 14:46:17
    No not yet mate, haven't even got a steam account. I get my laptop on the 12th so I'll be able to set it up then.

I'll warn you now though, I'm a noob, haven't played an RTS in bloddy years.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2011 14:56:50 5,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ha, I'm the king of noobs. I wouldn't worry.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2011 14:59:52
    I bet you're a demon at RTS games, especially after you 4am sesh's.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2011 15:20:55 5,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just love playing with little soldier men.
  • triarii 4 Aug 2011 21:47:56 297 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm up for multiplayer too. I'm atrocious at it but I'd still like to give it a go...
  • FWB 4 Aug 2011 22:06:58 44,832 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CoH is ace. Only RTS better is Men of Honour. Far more epic, complicated and "realistic".
  • Deleted user 5 August 2011 16:40:49
    I'll see how I get on with CoH before giving MoH a go if its more complicated.
  • D_arkTrooper 5 Aug 2011 17:30:46 1,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whats this Men of Honour.....you dont mean Men of War?

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Deleted user 5 September 2011 19:39:07
    Anyway to speed up the relic downloader or make it download one at a time? These patches are taking forever.
  • FWB 5 Sep 2011 19:40:52 44,832 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, Men of War. My bad.
  • Khosrau 6 Sep 2011 13:24:08 85 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Patches can be downloaded separately. I've done this but I don't know from where anymore, maybe try FileShack? Or google it.

All in all there are several gigs in patches, so it's no miracle it's taking a while (depends on your version of the game, of course).
  • figgis 6 Sep 2011 14:30:14 7,376 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got back into this are any of the Mods worth playing?
  • Khosrau 6 Sep 2011 15:28:41 85 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sure,

Try Blitzkrieg (version 4.02b) and Eastern Front and keep an eye out for Normandy '44 (already very playable and very expansive) in the future.

Blitzkrieg is a very good mod that reworks game mechanics, balance and adds dozens of units. Also every unit has a new (historically correct) skin.

Eastern Front adds Russia as a faction, but keeps the rest mostly vanilla. Russia is a very well done faction that fits the game very well. Another faction (the Ostheer) is in the works.

Normandy '44 can be seen as a combination of Blitzkrieg and Eastern Front (since it changes game mechanics, balance and will add Russia), but is in fact a lot more. It's by far the most ambitious and expansive CoH modding project, with a focus on historical accuracy. The latest release has been a while back though but a new release (including Russia) is in the works.

Battle of the Bulge is worth a try too.

You should not be worried about quality, the art often surpasses Relic's. Keep in mind though that these are multiplayer mods (so far).

Also there are mods in the works for WO I and modern times, both looking very good already.

Check the Company of Heroes mods on moddb.com and you'll find all what you need.
  • THFourteen 5 Oct 2012 08:53:41 33,799 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oooh just picked this up + expansions.

Any good graphics mods or anything out there?
  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 09:23:17 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Normandy '44 is excellent. However, lots of stuff can get quite broken in a big game. I think it just gets confused with itself. That does not reduce it's fun-ness though.

Just hope for the next game they drop that relic service crap...
  • randompanda 5 Oct 2012 11:30:02 2 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/company-heroes-complete-collection-even-cheaper-6-23-steam-1328402

Buy the Gold Edition & Valor for 6.23 - a saving of 50p over the silly-priced complete edition!

(It's also a shameless plug for my HUKD post, but I need all the heat I can get to keep my kids warm this winter! ;) )

In fairness i'd skip on Valor, aside from the defensive co-op mode it's pretty bland.
  • Page

of 29 First / Last

Next