Contact Lenses

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Spong92 13 Aug 2006 02:39:58 324 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey there, I've been wearing contact lenses for nearly a year now, and up until now I've been using SpecSavers Monthly disposables. I had an eyetest a few months back to see if I could wear Extended Wear Contacts (which let you wear them all month without ever removing them), but they said my eyes were to sensitive at the moment. (Could be something to do with the fact I wore the lenses for about 18 hours a day when your supposed to wear them 12 tops...)

I've recently left SpecSavers as they charge to much and don't provide me enough Solution, and i've been looking at ordering some contacts online. I'm tempted to take the plunge and get some Extended wear ones just to see if i'm ok with them afterall. My lifestyle really needs them, as I've been sleeping over at parties and my gfs house alot lately, and its a pain in the a$$ having to bring solution with me all the time.

So, my question is, has anyone here ever been in a similar situation to me and got Extended Wear contacts anyway? If so, what would you say the best brand to get are, and was there any unpleasant side effects? (Like did your eyes fall out, or get so bloodshot theres no blood left to get erections etc...)
  • ilmaestro 13 Aug 2006 02:48:55 32,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure if the exact question is covered, but this was a good thread about contact lenses.

• Spong92 13 Aug 2006 15:13:07 324 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah thanks, that is a good thread, but doesn't really answer my question :S
  • Donny 13 Aug 2006 15:16:10 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If your optician says your eyes are too sensitive at the moment i would listen to him and wait.
  • White_Shadow 13 Aug 2006 15:18:00 2,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What about the daily disposable lenses?

Also, I'm sure Specsavers are being a bit mean with the solution there. My optician always said that if I ran out, I could get more for free from the opticians.
  • StixxUK 13 Aug 2006 15:19:21 7,293 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Specsavers give me more solution than I know what to do with. In fact, my bathroom cupboard is rapidly filling up with the bottles. What is it anyway, just sterile water?
  • mwtb 13 Aug 2006 15:22:56 2,381 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago

No-one on the forum is going to be able to tell you if you'll handle extended wear or not. Specsavers do seem to be sticklers for "the rules" when it comes to contacts, but there are potential issues and they have to cover themselves. Ultimately, the only thing you can do is try them, and to do that you'll have to talk to an optician. If your local Specsavers doesn't like prescribing extended wear (and many opticians don't), then try someone else.
  • Trowel 13 Aug 2006 17:23:12 18,072 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or do what I do - use the old style flat lens cases which easily slip in the pocket when you know you might not be back after a night out. The barrel design is better for your eye health in the long-run as it hydrates 95% or so of the lens surface, but they're a pain in the arse to incorporate into any lifestyle which doesn't necessarily end at 10pm in your own bathroom every night.

Try to avoid the shitty green and white flat cases which Specsavers offer to order for me, as the open too easily in the pocket. Instead I use some old Bausch & Lomb cases which screw tight properly - you can boil cases once they get grubby to extend their lifespan.

Sounds as though you could cut down on solution use anyway. As Stixx says, Specasavers expect you to use a bottle of solution a month when in reality you'll be fine with a bottle/bottle and a half over the 3 month period (assuming you're in the Lensmail progamme). A decent wash after taking them out and a quick rinse in the morning is all I need.

Been using lenses for 10 years with nary an eye infection, *touch wood* :)
  • Spong92 13 Aug 2006 23:34:24 324 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah but what about changing the solution in the contact lens bottle? I was told to change the solution daily, and clean the contacts before and after i put them in, so thats why i use it so quick :).
  • MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 17:28:10 1,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bump

Can anyone recommend me monthly contact lenses?

I've been using BioMedics 55 and I don't mind them, but I've not really tried anything else in the monthlies range, so I can't tell if I'm just "uncultured" so to speak in this area.

As a side, does anyone else avoid opticians and just buy online? I don't see any advantages for the big price hike.

Edited by MrDigital at 17:28:43 23-07-2013

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• elstoof 23 Jul 2013 18:31:02 8,322 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't really recommend something like that, everyone finds different brands more or less comfortable than others so its down to trial and error. I've worn Bausch & Lomb for about 20 years without any issues, but my optimism went through a time of trying to force me onto Johnson & Johnson - who probably offer better commission rates - which just didn't work for me.

I'm in two minds about buying online. I've had bad batches of lenses which the optician swaps with no questions, I bet online retailers won't be that good about it. Also, supporting a local optician is a good thing generally, you can't have your prescription checked or be told you have eye cancer online can you. Saying that, I buy my lenses when I'm in France because eye care is cheaper there.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jul 2013 18:44:52 7,880 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's funny, I've worn glasses for about seven years now but made an appointment last week to try contact lenses again. Ok, it's not that funny.

I gave up because my eyes were on the dry side and I also wasn't getting super dependable focussing on the computer what with me needing spanner toric lenses.
    I'm hoping technology has moved on a bit now.

When I last had them the only way to get them was via a regular monthly payment to the opticians, now the lady on the phone said, "you can even pay by direct debit and we'll send you them every month!", like it was something special or something- is it the norm to buy more online once you have your prescription now?
  • elstoof 23 Jul 2013 19:04:17 8,322 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I buy my monthly lenses in packs of 6, when I need more I buy another pack. No tying in, no direct debit.
    I'd say that they probably want to lock you in because most people buy online now, but they can't exactly pass up on a one off sale if that's all you'll take.

I also wear Toric lenses for astigmatism, they're really not any different in shape or feel to regular lenses to be honest. They just say Toric on the box.

Edited by elstoof at 19:06:21 23-07-2013
  • dominalien 23 Jul 2013 19:04:33 7,067 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only buy online. The difference in price is 100%, so it's a no-brainer.

I go to see the doctor every couple of years to see what my prescription's like and if it needs adjusting and just go from there.

I've been forced to move from bi-weekly to daily lenses recently, though, along with obligatory eye drops a couple of times every day, as my eyes have become more sensitive and drier in my old age.

PSN: DonOsito

• CosmicFuzz 23 Jul 2013 19:15:03 25,656 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm online too, way cheaper. About to switch to daysoft as they seek crazy cheap. 12.99 a month for daily disposables!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 19:41:22 1,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I'm online too, way cheaper. About to switch to daysoft as they seek crazy cheap. 12.99 a month for daily disposables!
    I was going to try these ones, Crystal Monthly, 8, free delivery and lots of good reviews. Alas, I delayed buying and when I tried to get them they were have stock shortages.

Worth keeping an eye on though, if you're a penny-pincher :p

Edit: Ah, didn't read you wanted daily.

Edited by MrDigital at 19:41:46 23-07-2013

• Armoured_Bear 23 Jul 2013 20:38:37 11,930 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Recommended

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 21:47:05 1,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

The deal sounds great but the website looks dodgy... But, if people think it's okay :)

Which ones have you tried? Are they just as good as the other ones?

• wobbler147 23 Jul 2013 22:08:45 5,154 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been using Daysoft for years, no issues at all.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jul 2013 22:46:37 7,880 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The torric lenses have little weights on them elstoof (tiny lines if you look closely), they have to sit a certain way up or the, erm, torricness stops working. I think my eyes used to get dry and then they'd stop sitting properly when I blinked.

I'm going to have the look, you know, the look when I ask to take away my prescription, just like I always do when I do the same with my glasses. The sense of entitlement opticians have disgusts me. They've had an extremely lucrative market sewn up for so many years and act like petulant children when you no longer want to bend over and take it any more. Had a full on stand up row in Boots last time :cool:
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jul 2013 23:23:02 11,930 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

The deal sounds great but the website looks dodgy... But, if people think it's okay :)

Which ones have you tried? Are they just as good as the other ones?
    I find the prices and service great and the lenses are comfortable and well packaged.
    Nothing dodgy at all, its owned by one of the main guys who developed disposable lenses.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MrDigital 12 Aug 2013 18:37:46 1,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Second Bump

Really happy with the contact lenses I'm using overall, but recently I've been on a really intense schedule, so I'm regularly getting 4 hours of sleep for days in a row. This means (for me at least) that when I wake up in the morning, my eyes are dry as fuck, and feel heavy.

Wearing contact lenses from waking up is incredibly uncomfortable in these situations, but if I wait just a couple of hours until my eyes are "normal", the contact lenses are the same awesome ones I know.

Any solution?

Edited by MrDigital at 18:38:22 12-08-2013

• mothercruncher 12 Aug 2013 19:17:45 7,880 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got a contact lense appointment and am on some trials now. Eyes as dry as ever, can't wear them day I day out, hence, not really worth signing up to a monthly "deal" with a high street shop.

Was told that my torrid-ness means daily disposables are out, they don't make them that strong :cry:

Still going to buy some random sets from your link Armoured Bear and see if I can't find so etching that works, even ten days a month for when I'm doing sport etc will do. I'm SO sick of being a glasses wearer...
  • Dave_McCoy 14 Aug 2013 00:34:54 2,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    Second Bump

Really happy with the contact lenses I'm using overall, but recently I've been on a really intense schedule, so I'm regularly getting 4 hours of sleep for days in a row. This means (for me at least) that when I wake up in the morning, my eyes are dry as fuck, and feel heavy.

Wearing contact lenses from waking up is incredibly uncomfortable in these situations, but if I wait just a couple of hours until my eyes are "normal", the contact lenses are the same awesome ones I know.

Any solution?
    With the lack of sleep you're getting I'd say dry eyes. How long do you wear the lenses for? Perhaps a couple of eye drops before bed and in the morning will help you out. Contact lens compatible eye drops would be good mind if you're putting lenses in straight after.
  • Dave_McCoy 14 Aug 2013 00:38:10 2,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Did you mean toric?? If you have a decent amount of astigmatism, which would mean you need toric lenses, then dailies will probably be out if you want decent vision.

Oh, and I never give 'the look' :) If you've paid for your prescription you can do what you like with it. Contact lens wearers are sods for taking risks though.

Edited by Dave_McCoy at 00:40:26 14-08-2013

Edited by Dave_McCoy at 00:40:45 14-08-2013
  • AaronTurner 16 Aug 2014 14:58:01 7,886 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just had my end of trial appointment where the optician basically told me I wasn't telling the truth about what I was seeing! I explained the issue I ws having with one of my eyes and then he made it a bit better with some external lenses and then took it really personally and refused to do anything about it. Is it normal to have a fiddle with prescription strengths when getting fitted with contacts? He seemed to refuse to even give it a go but I think what thye've done is given me a higher strength than my prescription because they don't have the right fit for my astigmatism.

Edited by AaronTurner at 14:58:30 16-08-2014
  • iancognito 16 Aug 2014 15:18:41 1,731 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your glasses prescription won't always be the same as a contact lens prescription, due to the way it fits on your eye, etc. plus there's some extra lens measurements. There is a bit of trial and error, but you'd tend to get about the same prescription.

Might be worth trying a different optician though. This one doesn't sound too helpful.
  • AaronTurner 16 Aug 2014 15:37:02 7,886 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, he really confused me by using the external lenses to correct the image (or at least make it better) but then refused to issue different lenses - why bother doing the correction tests then?
  • AaronTurner 16 Aug 2014 15:38:03 7,886 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But he seemed to suggest he was only allowed to go by my prescription, still not sure why he bothered trying to correct it then if was never going to issue anything else.
  • iancognito 16 Aug 2014 15:54:43 1,731 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd expect a few months of different lens prescriptions, particularly of you have a complex prescription.

If you have standard lenses for myopia they're pretty much off the shelf. With astigmatism you get a toric lens, correcting the curve/twist too and they'd normally order them and get them in after a few days.

I can believe you might get told they couldn't do any better but after a few more attempts at finding the right lens. Mind you, it's been a long time since my lens trial.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous