David Blaine - how DOES he do some of that stuff?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 21:52:49
    Just got David Blaine Magicman on in the background on ITV4 and he just did a card trick where a policeman picked a card, 'put it back in the pack' as Blaine shot the deck from one hand to the other, and then Blaine sprayed the deck on the ground. The chosen card was found INSIDE the policeman's shoe.

Please explain how.

:)
  • souljah 9 Aug 2006 21:58:38 4,704 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Look at this eye I have tattooed on my hand.

SHAZZAM!
  • Ecanem 9 Aug 2006 21:59:11 5,035 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Its a kind of magic"..

Dunno man.. no idea. Setup?
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 21:59:56 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ecanem wrote:
    Setup?

It has to be. Or it's 'real' magic. The choice is yours.
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 22:01:24 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anony-Moose wrote:
    souljah wrote:

SHAZZAM!

O_O

How does he do dat levitation fingy doe?

That's easy, I can do that. (honest) One foot never actually leaves the ground it just looks that way from the angle. My mate made me stand back from him a little, he took another step forward, angulated his posture slighty and levitated.

It's easy when you know how. Blaine does it excellently though.

Edited by morriss at 22:04:37 09-08-2006
  • souljah 9 Aug 2006 22:03:27 4,704 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blainetology is not for everyone, but once you have paid your dues, you can learn all of the Messiahs secrets.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:04:26
    Owen-B wrote:
    Please explain how.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/2 pounds thickly sliced bacon, diced
    * 6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 4 cups beef stock
    * 2 teaspoons white sugar
    * 4 cups diced carrots
    * 2 large onions, cut into bite-size pieces
    * 3 potatoes
    * 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 1 cup white wine

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
    2. Put lamb, salt, pepper, and flour in large mixing bowl. Toss to coat meat evenly. Brown meat in frying pan with bacon fat.
    3. Place meat into stock pot (leave 1/4 cup of fat in frying pan). Add the garlic and yellow onion and saute till onion begins to become golden. Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock pot with bacon pieces, beef stock, and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
    4. Add carrots, onions, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and wine to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 Aug 2006 22:04:30 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What you see on TV isn't what happens, they get some really stupid person off the street and do a dumbed down and easy to do version of the trick and film their 'oh my god how did you do that' reaction, they then go back and re-film bits like the card being behind the car windscreen glass, card being in shoe, or him floating in the air and copy/paste them together to make it look more fantastic than it actaully was.

For example, when he does that floating trick in the street it's actaully really simple - make sure your left\back side is facing them, then just stand on tip-toe on your right foot to make it look like you're floating a little to where they are standing (as your leg blocks off their vision of your other foot).

They then wait for them to go, and film it again using either wires or just some guy lifting him (im serious) and copy and paste them together so people think "wait a minute he didn't do that really old trick" when infact he did, he just blatantly hides it from the TV cameras.

Living in ice? erm.. Eskimo's have lived in ice for years, it's a well known fact that despite ice being cold, it's still acts as a good insulator for keeping heat in and once your body has warmed up the air, you can stay pretty mild for a good few days if needed.

Hope that explains it :D
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 22:05:49 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forget it. NOt even funny.

Edited by morriss at 22:06:02 09-08-2006
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 Aug 2006 22:06:30 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You not being funny?

OLD!!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:07:31
    morriss wrote:
    Anony-Moose wrote:
    souljah wrote:

SHAZZAM!

O_O

That's easy, I can do that. (honest) One foot never actually leaves the ground it just looks that way from the angel. My mate made me stand back from him a little he took another step forward, angulated his posture slighty and levitated.

It's easy when you know how. Blaine does it excelletly though.
    Yeah, I'd heard that about the levitation. I'll need to keep an eye out when he does it. I remember that he is VERY specific about where the person should stand, but I've also seen him do it before groups of 3 or 4 people where they're not in a tight group. I guess they don't show the ones where they go "Hey mister you're still standing on the ground!"

As for that 'card in shoe' trick, I just can't work it out. Guessing a card in advance, fair enough. Guessing it and pasting it inside a shop window in advance... ooookay. Guessing it and getting it inside someone else's shoe??

He's good at more than cards though - I've played back stuff I've recorded before and seen him remove someone's watch while holding their wrists and gripping cards between his teeth to prove he's not manipulating them with his hands... ;)

And I just can't believe the cries of 'set up!'... Nothing else seems to be.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:08:30
    Gremmi wrote:
    ...some forum gag or something, I'm guessing
    I don't get it.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:10:29
    Pirotic wrote:
    What you see on TV isn't what happens...

Hope that explains it :D
    Doesn't explain the card in shoe trick. They did the trick, then he asked the policeman to remove his shoe and check for the card. The policeman was reluctant to remove his shoe on the street so he went inside the shop and the camera clearly caught him taking his shoe off, fishing around, and taking the card out.

• morriss 9 Aug 2006 22:10:30 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    You not being funny?

OLD!!

Touché. :)

The one where he puts his hand through the jewellers window and takes a watch is impressive no matter how you look at it.
  • Flightrisker 9 Aug 2006 22:10:51 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read a bit about a trick he did similar to the card in the shoe on. As far as I can recall, he pretty much stalked this guy, bribed his tailor to sew a card inside his jacket, then did the card trick on him and basically used his shazam to make him select the card he wanted and then revealed it to be inside his jacket.
  • mr_steve100 9 Aug 2006 22:10:57 1,238 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blaine must die.
  • TehPieBoy 9 Aug 2006 22:11:16 257 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw this one trick where he held a newpaper up to a window and put his arm though it and pull a ring out from the other side, now there must be some kind of simple explanation...or...IS DIT MAGICKS?!
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 Aug 2006 22:12:14 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know, he's entertaining. Who else would live in a tiny box surrounded by shit in the centre of London? apart from all the other londoners.
  • d0bbo 9 Aug 2006 22:14:11 688 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's best to just think 'that's amazing' and be entertained rather than find out exactly how it's done and end up thinking 'that's a load of bollocks'. More fun that way.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:14:31
    MoonShine wrote:
    Me thinks there are easy to learn subliminal messages you can plant on someone, as with the British equivalent of the Messiah, Deren Brown is it?

i.e. your guiding someone to do something specific during card tricks with eye movements...or you mouth something you want someone else to draw on paper that they have to "Guess." Bet this stuff is dead simple once you learn the techniques.
    Most of his stuff is simply high theatrical stunts built around simple tricks - it's nearly all a variation on cupping, switching and misdirecting the audience, plus basic human psychology tricks such as knowing what numbers people pick when under pressure and given certain rules.

Still doesn't explain how a fucking card got in a fucking SHOE!!!!

;)
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 22:15:18 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    I don't know, he's entertaining. Who else would live in a tiny box surrounded by shit in the centre of London? apart from all the other londoners.
    :D

You're on fire tonight!!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:16:32
    Flightrisker wrote:
    I read a bit about a trick he did similar to the card in the shoe on. As far as I can recall, he pretty much stalked this guy, bribed his tailor to sew a card inside his jacket, then did the card trick on him and basically used his shazam to make him select the card he wanted and then revealed it to be inside his jacket.
    That would make sense. Only way really. It's obviously a case of forcing a card to be picked, but it's getting that card in there in the first place that defied belief. I just couldn't believe he'd have bribed someone in the force to plant the card there, and that the copper wouldn't have noticed.

But like Sherlock Holmes always says, when you have eliminated all other possibilities...
  • Freek 9 Aug 2006 22:18:49 7,684 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi, I'm the famouse magician from the TV, mind helping out to play a trick on your collegue?

Not that hard.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:22:23
    Freek wrote:
    Hi, I'm the famouse magician from the TV, mind helping out to play a trick on your collegue?

Not that hard.
    If only you'ld got in there with that insight 10 posts ago! ;)

But yes that must be the only way.
  • souljah 9 Aug 2006 22:22:47 4,704 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Most of his stuff is simply high theatrical stunts built around simple tricks - it's nearly all a variation on cupping

0_o

/note in diary - "avoid David Blaine shows at all cost"
  • Deleted user 9 August 2006 22:40:49
    souljah wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Most of his stuff is simply high theatrical stunts built around simple tricks - it's nearly all a variation on cupping

0_o

/note in diary - "avoid David Blaine shows at all cost"
    :D
  • quedex 9 Aug 2006 23:13:24 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Yeah, I'd heard that about the levitation. I'll need to keep an eye out when he does it. I remember that he is VERY specific about where the person should stand, but I've also seen him do it before groups of 3 or 4 people where they're not in a tight group. I guess they don't show the ones where they go "Hey mister you're still standing on the ground!"
    The magic word is "Balducci". And for the shots where you see both feet leave the ground, then the magic words are "Crane" and "Wires". But yes, all the street magic shows are very carefully edited. On a side note, there is a good (better) street magician called Chris Angel who does a stunning levitation where the audience can clearly see both feet leave the ground, and the trick is no where near as "angle sensitive".

As for that 'card in shoe' trick, I just can't work it out. Guessing a card in advance, fair enough. Guessing it and pasting it inside a shop window in advance... ooookay. Guessing it and getting it inside someone else's shoe??
    Guessing? Not a chance. Forcing the card he wants, on the other hand...

He's good at more than cards though - I've played back stuff I've recorded before and seen him remove someone's watch while holding their wrists and gripping cards between his teeth to prove he's not manipulating them with his hands... ;)
    Pickpocket magic is a clever skill to learn and equally impressive to watch, but you'd be amazed what you can get away with thanks to a little distraction ;-)

And I just can't believe the cries of 'set up!'... Nothing else seems to be.
    More of it is set up than you might first think. Whilst cheap side-show acts like Blaine might use stooges for some of the tricks, other magicians will use accomplices to select people, get the trick ready (like finding a way of hiding cards in odd places) an hour or so in advance, then make sure the magician picks them to film the real trick happen. Again, you'd be amazed what you can get away with thanks to a little distraction :-)))
  • TwistidChimp 10 Aug 2006 00:25:46 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    That would make sense. Only way really. It's obviously a case of forcing a card to be picked, but it's getting that card in there in the first place that defied belief. I just couldn't believe he'd have bribed someone in the force to plant the card there, and that the copper wouldn't have noticed.

But like Sherlock Holmes always says, when you have eliminated all other possibilities...

I remember my friend whos done stage magic once told me about some famous magician who had a card sowed into the lining of some famous guys tux when it went to get repaired. Just so when he happened to see him at a function (and would inevitably be asked to do a trick) he could do any number of tricks and have the card appear in the guys tux ! Now thats what you call preperation.
  • pistol 10 Aug 2006 10:44:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Anony-Moose wrote:
    souljah wrote:

SHAZZAM!

O_O

That's easy, I can do that. (honest) One foot never actually leaves the ground it just looks that way from the angle. My mate made me stand back from him a little, he took another step forward, angulated his posture slighty and levitated.

It's easy when you know how. Blaine does it excellently though.

Edited by morriss at 22:04:37 09-08-2006

I can do it too..
  • Deleted user 10 August 2006 10:56:44
    Do it then! Film it and put it on YouTube.

/waits
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous