Clerks 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Ali 5 Aug 2006 15:41:17 163 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a guy in the USA just sent me his review, sounds exactly what I expected it to be like i.e. Kevin Smith retreating back to familiar territory after everyone ripped Jersey Girl a new one. Still, you can't knock a good nob gag every now and then, and we all love having a good old bitch about Star Wars, don't we?

Personally, I'd like to see what Brodie Bruce is up to these days. Truly a cinematic legend for our generation. Mallrats 2 please!
  • SpaceDave3000 5 Aug 2006 15:46:52 78,259 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seen it. Reviewed it. Forum search it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• GrayFox 5 Aug 2006 15:47:53 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seen it. Brilliant, comedy of the year, atleast.
  • SpaceDave3000 5 Aug 2006 15:49:13 78,259 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wouldn't go that far. It's basically alright.

• silentbob 5 Aug 2006 15:50:23 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What always maked me chortle is that Smith would want it any other way. He has repeatedly stated that he makes movies, with his mates for his mates. When someone states: "Yer, it was really funny .. but" I just tune out, because I know that they just don't get it.

It's really simple folks, Smith makes great over wordy, semi cliquey comedies with his friends - the genre may vary slightly from picture to picture, but this is ultimately what he does. And when someone 'reviews' a movie claming that it's all well and good but quite frankly Smith is 'creatively stunted' it's akin to slagging down Lucas because the new Star Wars movie is 'set in space'.

While Clerks II is indeed a worthy successor to the original indie smash, it would be nice to see Smith stretch his wings and put his abilities to the test on a film that doesn’t fit into his particular style

..WHY?

Edited by silentbob at 15:50:35 05-08-2006

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• SpaceDave3000 5 Aug 2006 16:02:01 78,259 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ..Because they're contrived, pointless and been done to death.

• Khanivor 5 Aug 2006 16:04:10 40,850 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bloody funny film although for me it lacked a certain something, a sparkle if you will.

Still, the end is hilarious - cow fucking fTW.
  • SpaceDave3000 5 Aug 2006 16:07:07 78,259 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cow?

• ecureuil 5 Aug 2006 16:14:14 76,870 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's been out for 2 weeks, and I still haven't seen it. Might go tonight..
  • Khanivor 5 Aug 2006 16:55:06 40,850 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Cow?

Ach, I'm not long up :)

Defo a donkey though. Kelly misses donkey.
  • silentbob 5 Aug 2006 17:00:08 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Did it make you laugh? Yes. That was the point. Seriously, what else do you go and see a comedy for?

If you want profound social comment, hang out in your local toilets and read the graffiti.

Edited by silentbob at 17:06:17 05-08-2006

• binky Moderator 5 Aug 2006 17:10:32 9,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm with SB. By Smith's own admission his own visual style sucks, so I'd much rather see him stick to what he does best!

I've got the CLERKS2 .bin file sitting on my desktop. Havent done anything with them yet as I'm desperate to see it at the cinema first. Hate ruining films by watching shitty cam jobs.

Any word on a UK release yet?????
  • Khanivor 5 Aug 2006 17:11:17 40,850 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bah, I'd read a really good biut of bog graffiti the other night and it's just gone and disappeared from the memory banks.

Guess I'll have to go back to the pub tonight for some research.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2006 17:14:38
    I don't buy the whole "With his mates, for his mates". Maybe the concept, and the actual production process and whatnot, but the end product is there to put out to the mass audience.

Otherwise I could defend every single bad film by going "They didn't make it for you!"

Not that this was bad. It was alright.
  • Lex_Luthor 5 Aug 2006 17:17:12 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    silentbob, PLEASE do an albundy defence of Kevin Smith.

I promise to agree with most, if not all of what you say.

:D
  • silentbob 5 Aug 2006 17:17:22 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    silentbob, PLEASE do an albundy defence of Kevin Smith.

I promise to agree with most, if not all of what you say.
    I see the night shift are here. I'm off.

• silentbob 5 Aug 2006 18:14:49 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get the feeling KS' public speaking is actually his primary talent, I laughed more at 'An Evening with..' than any one of his movies. He's a joy to watch, especially given some of the wondrously retarded audience cannon fodder his shows seem to attract! :)

• Deleted user 5 August 2006 18:16:08
    rhythm wrote:
    You don't see the same heavy handed criticism of Michael Mann or M Night Shyamalan.

Michael Mann, eh, maybe, but Shyamalan regularly gets utterly ripped to shreds by a fair few people.
  • Khanivor 5 Aug 2006 18:39:57 40,850 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Huh? Chasing Amy rockzorz!

I'm not sure what he's gonna do for the future though. He can't keep on making films based aroudn the same characters. For a start they are all getting a bit too pudgy and soft :D
  • SpaceDave3000 5 Aug 2006 18:42:25 78,259 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Did it make you laugh? Yes. That was the point. Seriously, what else do you go and see a comedy for?

If you want profound social comment, hang out in your local toilets and read the graffiti.

Edited by silentbob at 17:06:17 05-08-2006
    I laughed despite the stilted, over achieving dialogue, the unimaginative setting and uninspired, mostly unlikable characters, yes. But only because of the cunt/mouth troll. The rest of the movie turned into the usual toilet humour. You're actually making me remember why I think Smith is fucking rubbish for the most part.

• lost_soul 5 Aug 2006 19:05:16 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chasing Amy is probably my favourite KS film.

I thought Clerks 2 was excellent; the whole final 3rd was hilarious - "if he's jerking off then so am I" - and J&SB work much better as background characters.
  • Swannzie 5 Aug 2006 19:10:13 5 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have all of Kevin Smiths movie, and I certaintly cannot wait untill I see this.
  • deem 5 Aug 2006 19:22:15 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Lex_Luthor 9 Aug 2006 00:21:36 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched this, loved it.

Probably not as good as the original, but it was bloody funny. I was pissing myself during the whole 'porch monkey' sequence. Top stuff.

• Genji 9 Aug 2006 06:23:08 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I laughed despite the stilted, over achieving dialogue, the unimaginative setting and uninspired, mostly unlikable characters, yes. But only because of the cunt/mouth troll. The rest of the movie turned into the usual toilet humour. You're actually making me remember why I think Smith is fucking rubbish for the most part.
    +1

I think someone with the nick 'silentbob' is going to be pretty biased when it comes to Kevin Smith films. :-)

Disclaimer: I admired Clerks, despite it being complete rubbish on a technical level. The only Kevin Smith film I've ever really liked was Dogma.

Since Clerks, it's either been toilet humour or, in his more "mainstream" movies, sappy romance, filled with cliche after cliche. The perfect movies to throw up to.

Now we have Clerks II, which attempts to combine the toilet humour and the awful romance together. The toilet humour works. The other bits fucking suck, to put it mildly.

I'm not a Gen-Xer, so maybe that's why I've never really "gotten" Kevin Smith.
  • silentbob 9 Aug 2006 08:04:53 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Genji. He makes movies for a certain demographic that tends to like most of what he does. You're obviously not in that demographic. What you missed was that there is no reason for him to change his style as a) He doesn't want to (or is not capable) and b) It doesn't matter anyway. :)

People have a really hard time when someone like Smith doesn't so the 'Yeah, I'm really try to push the boundaries with my next flick' crap that most directors feel they have to. So for criticising a movie for doing exactly what it does on the tin after having already realised why you thought the director was crap anyway does seem to suggest a recipe for disappointment.

In short, either you like Smith or not - he ain't changing any time soon, and TBH I don't really want him too. :)

Edited by silentbob at 08:05:26 09-08-2006

• silentbob 9 Aug 2006 15:53:25 28,976 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does anyone know when the hell this is released in the UK? Can't find a release date anywhere!

• smoothpete 9 Aug 2006 16:01:30 31,534 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't find a release date either. It seems you're not alone in your frustration, here's a choice quote from the Empire forum:

"wen in the name of fuk dus it cum out in the uk bcoz no fukin way am i gonna w8 4 much longer with all other folk havvin seen it "
  • HoriZon 9 Aug 2006 16:03:48 13,557 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its not been given an official date yet.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• smoothpete 9 Aug 2006 16:04:45 31,534 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The premiere is at the Edinburgh festival in a couple of weeks apparently
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous