The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 3

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• silentbob 9 Aug 2006 23:11:26 29,016 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Just imagaine if Daren Aronovski (director of Pi and Requiem for a Dream) had directed a proper Year 1 film as had been orginally planned! Would have been AWESOME!!
    I agree. Although he's presently tied up with something quite different but equally as intriguing.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• kalel 9 Aug 2006 23:12:20 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Here. It did of course eventually become Batman Begins, but this would have ruled.

I think some sort of DKR/Kingdom Come film is not so unlikely. The fact that Superman Returns and Batman Begins were slightly unusual set films in that respect means one set in the future with them 'old' wouldn't be so ridiculous, I really wouldn't be that suprised if they did one. It would be awesome if they did a proper apocolypse one like Kingdom Come with lots of death.

Just makes me think about Chris Reeve though. "The Kingdom Come Superman was based on what Reeves would have looked like as an old Superman. :(
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 23:16:34 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like a Sin-City-esque portrayal of DKR: basically just caputure it scene for scene. DKR is pretty damn perfect so there's no reason to fuck about with 'artistic representations'. Just copy the comic.

IMO, of course.
  • kalel 9 Aug 2006 23:18:40 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah, that's what every comic fan wants with their favourite comics. Never happens, although I admit Sin City was fucking amazing. Shame I didn't really like the comics :)

This is allegedly the orginal Frank Miller script for the Aranofski Year One btw.
  • morriss 9 Aug 2006 23:25:18 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    yeah, that's what every comic fan wants with their favourite comics. Never happens, although I admit Sin City was fucking amazing. Shame I didn't really like the comics :)

This is allegedly the orginal Frank Miller script for the Aranofski Year One btw.

:)

You're torturing me you do know that don't you?
  • silentbob 9 Aug 2006 23:25:58 29,016 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think finding directors willing to spend time on a movie and not put their stamp on it is a pretty tall order. Most directors consider themselves artists, and as such like to create. Now, if you could find a brilliant artisan director who's happt to 'trace' as it were, you're onto a winner!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• morriss 9 Aug 2006 23:33:16 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    I think finding directors willing to spend time on a movie and not put their stamp on it is a pretty tall order. Most directors consider themselves artists, and as such like to create. Now, if you could find a brilliant artisan director who's happt to 'trace' as it were, you're onto a winner!

Good point. I'd ask Rodriguez. :)
  • kalel 11 Aug 2006 12:48:58 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's Friday.

Friday is COMIC DAY!!!11!!

/heads off to collect package

• Spanky 11 Aug 2006 12:56:28 14,528 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Friday would be comic day if bloody Gremmi(gawd bless him) would send thon ftp details to the email address in my addy! But he ain't cause he's a git.

Plubs

• ilmaestro 11 Aug 2006 22:07:23 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's Friday.

Friday is COMIC DAY!!!11!!

/heads off to collect package

Does it annoy you that people who download comics get to read them before you? Because it annoys the shit out of me with manga.

• Lex_Luthor 11 Aug 2006 22:44:45 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't know how many of you are actually reading 52, but I was recently introduced to this excellent blog I had to recommend: The Diary of Ralph Dibny.

It's a piss take 'companion' type thing to the 52 comic series, updated as issues come out, telling each issue's plot from the perspective of Ralph Dibny. It's really funny stuff, especially the comments accompanying each update :)

On that note, 52 really is a great read. Black Adam and The Question in one book? Can't beat it :)

• Spanky 11 Aug 2006 23:04:15 14,528 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Does it annoy you that people who download comics get to read them before you? Because it annoys the shit out of me with manga.
    Can't really say it counts as a collection though, same reason mp3's are never as good as cd or vinyl, no real tactile goodies.

I actually downloaded a load yesterday to see... well just to see and even though they were nicely scanned and stuff it just didn't cut the mustard and i didn't read any of them. Civil War anyway, if there was anything i'm least likely to be interested in it'd be that.

Looking at the backup stuff it looks like i might just have to get some of this 52 stuff

From Week 12 to 52, the back-up feature is Secret Origins. [2] The origins scheduled are:

Week 12 - Wonder Woman by Mark Waid and Adam Hughes.
    Week 13 - Elongated Man by Mark Waid and Kevin Nowlan.
    Week 14 - Metamorpho by Mark Waid and Eric Powell.
    Week 15 - Steel by Mark Waid and Jon Bogdanove.
    Week 16 - Black Adam by Mark Waid and J.G. Jones.
    Week 17 - Lobo by Mark Waid and Keith Giffen.
    Week 18 - The Question by Mark Waid and Joe Bennett.
    Week 19 - Animal Man by Mark Waid and Brian Bolland.
    Week 20 - Adam Strange by Mark Waid and Kevin Nowlan.
    Week 21 - This issue will not have a back-up story, and instead will be a full-length story.
    Week 22 - Green Lantern by Mark Waid, Ivan Reis and Marc Campos.
    Week 23 - Wildcat by Mark Waid and Jerry Ordway.
    Week 24 - Booster Gold by Mark Waid and Dan Jurgens.
    Week 25 - Nightwing by Mark Waid and George Perez.
    While the following origins have been announced, but have yet to been scheduled:

Bat-Mite - by Mark Waid and Unknown
    Black Canary - by Mark Waid and Howard Chaykin
    Two-Face - by Mark Waid and Brian Bolland
    Joker - by Mark Waid and Brian Bolland
    Catman - by Mark Waid and Dale Eaglesham
    Zatanna - by Mark Waid and Brian Bolland

Plubs

• ilmaestro 12 Aug 2006 00:15:37 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Over here, kalel says that comic day is Friday, but isn't it Wednesday in the States? So people would be able to read at least a day, I would think, ahead of fellow UKers who don't download. If scans of western comics don't appear that quickly, then that would be great in my opinion.

In the case of manga it's even more exaggerated as scans appear of some series before the weekly collections are even on the newstands, and then I have to wait a week to have the stuff delivered.

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:47:49 12-08-2006

• ilmaestro 12 Aug 2006 00:53:31 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Can't really say it counts as a collection though, same reason mp3's are never as good as cd or vinyl, no real tactile goodies.

I actually downloaded a load yesterday to see... well just to see and even though they were nicely scanned and stuff it just didn't cut the mustard and i didn't read any of them. Civil War anyway, if there was anything i'm least likely to be interested in it'd be that.
    Indeed, a good portion of the fun involved in comics has to be owning the actual issues. I've tried reading manga on my PC a couple of times, but I frankly hated the experience. I'm quite looking forward to trying the new e-book reader from Sony though, it would be nice to carry around a few volumes of stuff I already own and have read in one easy (and easy to read) package.

VG: okay, that would make sense then, that situation (with scans of western comics) sounds far preferable to me. I deleted the 'proper' post comment as I realized it was unnecessary and would probably only encourage a non 'proper' reply, but all the same you know full well what I mean. Thank you for the info, though.

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:57:24 12-08-2006

• ilmaestro 12 Aug 2006 01:27:42 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, still black and white, but the Sony Reader (which is a newer version of the Librie, unfortunately stripped of the ability to leave notes in margins) that's coming out later this year is allegedly very easy on the eyes while reading, as close to reading regular paper as you can get.

• morriss 15 Aug 2006 10:31:41 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone seen this?

Any good?
  • Huntcjna 15 Aug 2006 10:38:02 13,877 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Anyone seen this?

Any good?

Yep, its on my Two disc special edition of the original Batman on DVD.

Its only about 30 minutes though and its basically a bunch of people saying how great an idea Batman was .
  • kalel 22 Aug 2006 14:03:25 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know there are some Preacher fans on here, just to let you know that Ennis's new series "The Boys" has now started, Issue 1 is on the shelves. Looks ok.
  • Mr_Whacker 22 Aug 2006 18:39:55 15 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just started on The Walking Dead and it is amazing. Highly recommended for some thoughtful zombie adventure.
  • morriss 22 Aug 2006 19:48:20 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mum bought me my birfday pressie early yesterday as i won't be seeing her before Christmas. It was a trip to Mega City and basically I could chose what I want.

Bless.

Btw., anyone read Red Sun (Superman)? The teller in Mega City says it's the best Superman comic he's ever read.

Edited by morriss at 22:13:58 22-08-2006
  • Lex_Luthor 22 Aug 2006 22:12:29 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I know there are some Preacher fans on here, just to let you know that Ennis's new series "The Boys" has now started, Issue 1 is on the shelves. Looks ok.

It's typical Garth Ennix fodder sadly. He promised to out do Preacher with it, but from the first issue, it firmly establishes itself as an 'Authority-a-like' and nothing more from what I can see. Decent enough, but nothing spectacular.

Anyone heard the shit about Civil War at Marvel that's going on? The series has now gone bi-monthly. Issue 4 pushed back a month, with issue 5 in November now, supposedly because the artist 'needed some breathing room'. As a side effect, all the tie ins in the regular monthly books are seemingly delayed also. What a crock. I'm betting they're just milking it to keep the hype and $pinoff$(See what I did there?) coming for as long as possible. I'm a bit pissed off to be honest.
  • kalel 22 Aug 2006 23:07:01 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    My mum bought me my birfday pressie early yesterday as i won't be seeing her before Christmas. It was a trip to Mega City and basically I could chose what I want.

Bless.

Btw., anyone read Red Sun (Superman)? The teller in Mega City says it's the best Superman comic he's ever read.

Edited by morriss at 22:13:58 22-08-2006

Dur like, DUR!!

Yes, OF COURSE, I've read it. Red Son is very good indeed. It is an Elseworld, so outside of the Supes continuity, but it is extremely well written, if a little heavy handed with the 'Anti-Commie' stuff. I know I'm always banging on about 'Birthright' but really, if you are going to read one Supes book/series, it should be that one.
  • ilmaestro 23 Aug 2006 00:29:13 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• ilmaestro 23 Aug 2006 00:29:24 32,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Anyone heard the shit about Civil War at Marvel that's going on? The series has now gone bi-monthly. Issue 4 pushed back a month, with issue 5 in November now, supposedly because the artist 'needed some breathing room'. As a side effect, all the tie ins in the regular monthly books are seemingly delayed also. What a crock. I'm betting they're just milking it to keep the hype and $pinoff$(See what I did there?) coming for as long as possible. I'm a bit pissed off to be honest.
    lol, that's absolutely ridiculous. He can't get one comic strip done per month, on a series that he surely had very planned out before he started? He wants to look at how they work in Japan FFS.

• kalel 23 Aug 2006 09:40:45 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed The Boys! I can see the comparison with The Authority for sure, but it seems to have a nice bit of charachter to it. Bum sex within 5 pages so it can't be all bad!

Enjoyed Deadman no1 very much, I reccomend highly.
  • Tiger_Walts 23 Aug 2006 09:49:20 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do we have adedicated Manga thread?

I've just read the first 6 Priest books and I have to say they are awesome.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Spanky 23 Aug 2006 10:10:51 14,528 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    lol, that's absolutely ridiculous. He can't get one comic strip done per month, on a series that he surely had very planned out before he started? He wants to look at how they work in Japan FFS.
    Aye but the artwork in Civil War is to a bloody high standard. Certainly better than 99% of the pish that comes out of Japan.

It's marvels fault anyhoo, they shouldn't have put all there eggs in one basket, happened to DC n'all with the All Star stuff(not that the artwork or writing is All Star anyhoo).

Manga Sucks! Half assed emo toyshop!
    /just googled that for a support image and got a fanny pump thing, says it all. :p

Plubs

• kalel 23 Aug 2006 10:13:56 88,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Supes All Star is the strangest Supes comic I have ever read. I quite like it actually, it's like Superman on acid. Grant Morrison has definitely done too many of those little white tabs though. Still, Jimmy Olsen becoming Doomsday was a stroke of genius, you can't deny it!
  • morriss 23 Aug 2006 10:15:20 71,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure it's available as a trade paperback, but Batman no.s #620-625: Broken City by Azzarello and Risso from 100 Bullets fame could quite possibly be some of the finest stuff (i.e. not just comics but literature as a whole) I've ever read. Love the atmosphere, the atmosphere in the art-work feels as though it's written. Genius.

Bring 'em back is what I say. And if you take into consideration the Batman #608-#619 was HUSH, then what a fantastic 18 months for comics it was.

Brilliant.
  • Tiger_Walts 23 Aug 2006 10:18:18 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Manga Sucks! Half assed emo toyshop!
    /just googled that for a support image and got a fanny pump thing, says it all. :p
    Priest is actually a Korean one, it's also heavily influenced by western comics.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Page

of 66 First / Last