The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 74

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• AaronTurner 5 Mar 2017 09:22:03 9,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the full Locke and key series is in the new comics bundle for less than 18. Loads more too.
  • Derblington 12 Apr 2017 23:26:38 29,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Question for Comixology users:

Thinking about buying some comics again and comixology seems like the easiest way to do it (though it's dumb that they've removed in-app purchases). What's the difference between buying Kindle/Comixology editions direct from Amazon.co.uk and being direct from comixology.eu? Are the book formats/viewing options different?

Amazon seems to significantly cheaper. Black Panther 2016 vol. 1 is almost 5 less!
  • MrFlay 12 Apr 2017 23:48:21 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can buy comics from the Comixology Android app with PayPal. I haven't used my Amazon account on Comixology because I'd rather keep them separate. I think you can read the Amazon purchased ones on Comixology and Kindle but the Comixology ones only on Comixology. You can't​ use PayPal to buy the Amazon ones but you can use it on Comixology.

I think Marvel Unlimited has Black Panther 2016. It has six issues so far. And a hell of a lot of other stuff. A great way to get access to the Marvel catalogue without paying a lot. I haven't bought any Marvel on Comixology except for Alias which isn't on Marvel Unlimited.

Edited by MrFlay at 23:51:44 12-04-2017
  • Derblington 13 Apr 2017 00:00:03 29,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's no in app purchase on iOS anymore.
    I'm thinking about Marvel Unlimited but there's probably not much I'm actually interested in. I follow artists more than writers and most of what I want to read is Image.
  • MrFlay 13 Apr 2017 08:38:16 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Image usually have a linewide sale on Comixology every few months. 50% off everything that isn't new. They had one last week. San Diego Comic Con might be the next one.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2017 23:27:18 31,302 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I realised recently that, even though I enjoyed them, I didn't buy any comics at all. No particular reason, I just never did.

There really is a bewildering assortment if you visit a bookshop, so I found it difficult to know where to start. I know of all more famous stories, but when it comes to the more recent ones it can be difficult to know where to begin.

Thankfully I was aware that the soft relaunch thing, DC Rebirth, was quite recent and worked as a fairly good starting point for new readers, so I bought the main Rebirth one-shot and a few of the volumes I fancied - Batman, Justice League, Suicide Squad and the Flash. Very enjoyable stuff so far :) Will probably check out Superman as well, given he's one of the rebirthiest characters.

I did also buy Civil War II, but to be honest I didn't enjoy that nearly as much. It felt like the sort of story where they just needed to find an excuse to throw characters together. Maybe it makes more sense if you read all the separate Civil War II collections, but I'd honest rather spend the money on more of the Rebirth stuff as I'm quite liking those.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2017 23:32:26 4,092 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DC's eternal cycle of reboots and Marvel's obsession with crossover events both ensure that I'm a long, long way from buying monthlies from either again
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2017 23:40:34 31,966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been reading marvel through their unlimited service and it's pretty ace.
  • solidsneek 22 May 2017 11:09:22 348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    currently reading Blackest night: Superman only 3 issues as far as i know pretty good so far!
  • Kostabi 22 May 2017 18:24:30 5,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worth noting for anyone who uses Comixology that they've got a sale on the current run of Ninjak - 25 issues for 13.99.

For anyone who wants to dip their toe into Valiant it's a great deal. Then go buy the entire X-O Manowar run.
  • opalw00t 2 Jun 2017 08:12:47 12,791 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shit ton of very cheap Marvel available on Kindle:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/01/people-filling-boots-marvel-comics-kindle-95-off/

Prices carry over to the UK site also.

Edited by opalw00t at 08:13:04 02-06-2017
  • Derblington 2 Jun 2017 11:20:03 29,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice.
  • JoelStinty 1 Jul 2017 14:16:53 5,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Might have to transition over digital comics, running out room to store books, especially having moved back in with the parents. Picked up Batman Shaman as a test purchase - (great you can buy out of print books!) , it's kind of weird, but i guess i will get used to it. I think TPB are great in book form though. I will have to see how i get on with it.

Used the DC app, but might try out comixology.

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:17:46 01-07-2017
  • MrFlay 1 Jul 2017 14:23:08 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Comixology is great. They regularly have great sales so you shouldn't need to ever pay full price if you have a little patience. Much, much cheaper than hard copies.
  • JoelStinty 1 Jul 2017 14:24:53 5,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ahh ok, guess it is just a digital store for comics? have the same weekly releases as physical copies?
  • MrFlay 1 Jul 2017 14:52:41 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep. There digital exclusives too.

Check every week for sales. Valiant, Image, DC and Marvel usually have one a week and a big one every month or so usually around a movie release or a comic con.

They also have videogame art books from Dark Horse.

Edited by MrFlay at 14:53:55 01-07-2017
  • JoelStinty 1 Jul 2017 14:53:24 5,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool i will check it out, thanks!
  • Vice.Destroyer 2 Jul 2017 17:48:28 7,072 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't post in here very much anymore, but I have to be honest, if it wasn't for the Marvel Unlimited service, I would read a lot, lot less comics than I do. It is such insane value for money. $69 per year for access to 20,000 comics? I am a little surprised that I am the only comic book reader that I know that thinks that is great value. I admit I am sad that DC don't have a similar proposition, but hey.

Anybody else interested, click here
  • MrFlay 2 Jul 2017 18:20:11 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had Marvel Unlimited for a few years now and it is insane value. You get a huge amount of comics and every week new ones are added. There's now a lot of the new Star Wars comics on it.

There's no reason for me to buy any Marvel comics on Comixology. Only comics that are six months old are added to Unlimited but that's not a long time to wait.
  • The_Goon 3 Jul 2017 17:13:54 510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I too have had Marvel Unlimited for a few years and it is probably the best service I subscribe to. The app developers are awesome as well - constantly (albeit over long periods) updating the app to include new features means it has remained fresh. When it first started I bought a few comics to fill gaps but that seems largely unnecessary. It really is awesome and I was just telling a friend today how I wish DC would follow suit.

I was a staunch DC reader a few years back but couldn't keep up with all the reboots and titles and dropped it when Marvel Unlimited came along. Haven't touched DC since although I would love to. It would cost hundreds to get up to speed post-Flashpoint and I'm just not willing to do that. They can happily have 50-100 from me a year or they can have nothing. I'm sure there are other casual readers who would jump at the chance. The people who already buy comics will not be cannibalised by the service because they'd always want the fresh stuff straightaway anyway. Come on DC!

Out of interest, does anyone recommend any events/series on Marvel Unlimited? I'm trying to put off delving into Secret Wars because it depresses me how many titles appear to be involved. I'd recommend the Messiah Complex trilogy to anyone who hasn't read it yet.
  • Vice.Destroyer 3 Jul 2017 18:24:46 7,072 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At the moment, I'm going through titles, rather than events. I went through the Brian Michael Bendis run of Daredevil. Totally astonished at how consistently excellent that guy can be for over 120 consecutive issues. Currently reading Incredible Hulk/Hercules. Also went through the entire Captain America run. The one where he died. Again, totally astonished at how those guys decided to run with the idea of a tainted presidential candidate being inserted into US politics.

What makes me laugh is that even in crazy comic book world, the creators thought it would be too unbelievable to have a president that was groomed by the Red Skull actually as a president. The guys wrote that in 2004! They were ten years too early!
  • The_Goon 3 Jul 2017 20:19:46 510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never really got into Daredevil. I did read the...Shadowlands (?) arc though which was pretty good.

I can't take DD seriously anymore after reading this from LICD though lol:
    https://goo.gl/images/Y2Pu8L

(Cursed can't figure out how to post the pic from my phone)

Edited by The_Goon at 20:21:12 03-07-2017

Edited by The_Goon at 20:22:23 03-07-2017
  • spamdangled 3 Jul 2017 20:21:48 30,745 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shadowlands was horrendous - easily one of the worst DD events ever written.

Try Waid's run, or Bendis' run from the early 2000s
  • MrFlay 3 Jul 2017 20:27:12 3,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Runaways is a good series. The first and second are pretty fun. The most recent Doctor Strange by Aaron and Bachalo is worth a look too. Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja is a must read.

I'd also recommend Star Wars and Darth Vader if you like Star Wars at all.

Edited by MrFlay at 20:52:27 03-07-2017
  • The_Goon 3 Jul 2017 20:44:44 510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrFlay The Star Wars comics are great. Really enjoying them. Nice to be able to read more widely. I'd only read the Dark Empire stuff before. Was hoping they'd use that as a basis for the sequels to be honest.
  • SpaceMonkey77 3 Jul 2017 22:39:50 804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad that more are using Comixology, even if u.s or eu.

I used to collect issues but learned early that trades were better & more tidy to store. Digital & less space is cooler.

From shonen, seinen, josei manga, to indie books I have broad taste. I'd indulge in Marvel & DC superhero stuff, but only in trades, as continuity can hurt brain a bit, but I prefer Image, IDW & other unique & fun works much more. Love hunting for good fun indie books many might miss completely. I think I prefer Marvel mature & DC Vertigo lines for different tales too.

If you want recommends please ask.
  • TolandsRancour 3 Jul 2017 22:46:06 1,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The trouble I had with Marvel Unlimited was that there was no way to keep track of what I'd read and it was a bit too fiddly trying to find stuff.
  • Vice.Destroyer 3 Jul 2017 23:19:47 7,072 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TolandsRancour I have to agree with that. Anything, something to let you know what you have actually read would be great. I can live with fiddly, but don't make me remember stuff.
  • The_Goon 4 Jul 2017 00:31:05 510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TolandsRancour They haven't solved the issue fully but it does record which comics you've already read now. Unfortunately there isn't an easy visual for it though without going into the comic details.
  • Derblington 30 Jul 2017 13:35:08 29,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Powers... good?
    I've heard positives about it over the years and I know it won some awards.

Comixology have a sale on until tomorrow - the original 38 issue run can be had for 15.43p.
  • Page

of 75 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.