The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 64

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 7 Aug 2013 14:17:14 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah DC superhero films have really lost their way, especially if Man of Steel is as meh as everyone is saying. DC peaked with Dark Knight (I would say peaked with Begins), too early to tell with Marvel whether TAS is a misstep or the first symptom of the rot setting in and them following a similar path.
    Interesting article on Wired about Marvel's success at creating its movie universe compared to DC's attempt.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2013 14:46:24
    That entire situation can be condensed down to:

"No one gives a shit about non-core DC characters".
  • spamdangled 7 Aug 2013 14:50:40 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well Green Lantern is a core DC character, and that film tanked.

It's not just about the characters, it's mostly (imo) about the quality of the film.

Noone (outside of comic readers) had heard of Kick-Ass or Sin City, and they did really well.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:51:21 07-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• PearOfAnguish 7 Aug 2013 14:56:14 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not that simple. Few people outside of comic book readers knew or cared about Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow*.

It's about what you do with those characters that makes them work. Marvel's been very good at picking the right crew to make their films and - as that article points out - is lucky enough to have someone like Kevin Fiege overseeing it all.

In comparison, DC is all over the place. They've got some classic movies from Superman and Batman, but their attempts at creating an ongoing narrative have fallen flat. Their challenge now (well, one of them), if they intend on going for a set of DC universe movies, is getting audiences to understand that Nolan's Batman is not the same character who's going up against Superman, or may end up kicking about with the Justice League.

Marvel would not be pushing ahead with Guardians of the Galaxy - a bizarre cast of characters that aren't even vaguely familiar to mainstream audiences - if it didn't think they could make that work.

* Having said that, it'll be a fucking miracle if anyone can make Wonder Woman work.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 15:11:28 07-08-2013
  • beastmaster 18 Aug 2013 18:39:27 11,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They could introduce Wonder Woman as a supporting role similar to Hulk in Avengers. Maybe.

Anyhow, the reason I popped in here. Fables. Any good? Didn't know they existed until I saw the trailer for the Telltale game. Looks intriguing.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• morriss 18 Aug 2013 19:19:18 70,976 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else reading Brother Lono or The Wake?

No?

Ok, then.
  • nickthegun 18 Aug 2013 19:22:50 59,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The major problem with wonder woman is her name. Say it out loud to yourself.

Now imagine it being said by someone dressed as a bat on a 30 foot screen without people laughing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• neilka 18 Aug 2013 19:31:57 15,913 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And her invisible plane.

And her bulletproof jewellery.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• BinaryBob101 19 Aug 2013 13:47:57 22,904 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I reckon the answer to that is to do what the comics do and use first names.

The Grumpy Vaper

• nickthegun 19 Aug 2013 14:07:13 59,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Princess Diana is much better.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 19 Aug 2013 14:11:46 27,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wonder Woman is hilariously shit.
  • khaz 19 Aug 2013 17:10:34 2,785 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Diana is used just as often as Wonder Woman. It just works better. She's one of DC's few superheroes without a secret identity.
  • spamdangled 20 Aug 2013 02:27:34 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @beastmaster

If one person can make Wonder Woman really sing on the big screen, it's Joss Whedon. He has a proven track record when it comes to believable and strong female superhero protagonists, is an experienced director, excellent sriptwriter and is a massive comic fanboy.

Not sure on his availability now though - given his ties to the MCU and the Agents of SHIELD tv show I'd be very surprised if he isn't under some sort of non-compete clause (I doubt Marvel would risk losing him to their distinguished competition), and then he also has his other stuff like his ongoing work on the Buffyverse comics and associated projects.

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:28:12 20-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 20 Aug 2013 02:30:45 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyway...

GARTH ENNIS IS WRITING A NEW PUNISHER SERIES!

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:31:44 20-08-2013

• Zizoo 27 Aug 2013 13:54:40 8,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finally live in a big city complete with comic book shops.

Please recommend a upcoming or recently released series (so I can still get #1) for me to get into.

I'm into literally anything, so if you've recently started or looking forward to something, please gimme names. Until now I was limited to the odd one or 2 when I could be bothered to order online.
  • heavy_salad 29 Aug 2013 22:37:46 722 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saga? I'm also quite enjoying Lazarus which is only 3 issues in
  • LockeTribal 12 Sep 2013 12:28:04 4,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm finding Six Gun Gorilla to be quite good so far. Sci-fi western type thing with very good art.

Quantum and Woody, while I've only read the first issue, also looks like it could be fun.

Just finished reading through Ex Machina. Loved that series but it had a very unsatisfying end IMO. Maybe that was the point. The Deluxe hardbacks are lovely too.
  • khaz 30 Sep 2013 08:02:13 2,785 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So my work has shifted me to a branch in another city till the end of the year so gaming is on the backburner for a bit. This does mean that I get to catch up on comics!

Initiative Vol. 1 TPB
    Meh. I was left deflated but it is only volume 1 so gonna read more to see if it grows on me.

Spidergirl: Who killed Gwen Reilly? TPB
    Spidergirl is a guilty pleasure of mine. Marvel handled the what if scenario of May Parker growing up really, really well. Its a thoroughly enjoyable comic book series and its slightly silly premise really works. May Parker is a really good superhero and its actually enjoyable watching them rehash old Spiderman stories in a fun way.

Dark Avengers: Ares TPB
    Ares is excellent fun. The first half is his son Alexander getting kidnapped and brainwashed by the Japanese pantheon of evil gods - let by Mikaboshi - and the Greek pantheon of good gods building to a 5 year siege at the walls of Japanese hell. Its gloriously silly, ludicrous and utterly works in a bonkers way.

The second half however, with Keiron Gillen writing is amazing. Osborn askes Ares to train four recruits into an ultra elite squad of black ops troops. Unfortunately, one of his sons - Kyknos - decides to exact revenge on his father because you know..Greek gods and their obsession with patricide. Everything from Ares's brilliant introduction Patton style in front of an American flag to the training montage to how the soldiers see him to the final bloody massacre at the end. Great stuff. As an added bonus, no one and I mean no one has stared down Norman Osborn like Ares does. Not even Spiderman managed that.

Throughout the comic, Ares is a monster and openly admits it. He's also unflinchingly loyal, loves his comrades and family no matter what they may be, believes in every single word that he says with complete conviction and will willingly go through hell to protect those he loves and kill whoever necessary if they get in his way.

One of my favourite bits, Ares and his guys are about to be over run by an unending number of undead:

"Stationary offense?"

:D

Edited by khaz at 11:11:40 30-09-2013
  • w00t 2 Oct 2013 13:20:14 11,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can recommend Bedlam by Nick Spencer and Riley Rossmo if you're looking for a disturbing trade paperback to get you started. Just don't leave it anywhere where kids can get at it.

It's only 5.40 on Amazon at the moment.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• LockeTribal 2 Oct 2013 13:50:09 4,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anybody had a look at Drowntown yet? Written by Robbie Morrison (Nikolai Dante) and with art by Jim Murray (2000AD, Magic: The Gathering, Deus Ex: Human Revolution). Gorgeous looking from what I've seen of it and I do like Robbie Morrison's previous stuff so I'll probably stick it on the Christmas list.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2013 19:27:07 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Wolf Among Us is pretty bloody good isn't it?

• GuiltySpark 11 Oct 2013 19:43:16 6,383 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The Wolf Among Us is pretty bloody good isn't it?
    I should hope so too! The 80 or so issues of Fables that I read were fantastic.

Get bent.

• Kanjin 11 Oct 2013 20:09:22 1,112 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I brought Nextwave, it is amazing.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2013 20:09:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nextwave is great. Shame it was cancelled so fast :(

If you liked it, you might like Irredeemable Ant-Man (another series cancelled before its time)

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:11:55 11-10-2013

• cubbymoore 16 Oct 2013 21:58:22 36,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone read Habibi? Any good?
  • LockeTribal 2 Nov 2013 21:08:35 4,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would anyone be interested in taking some of my bonus digital copies of some semi-recent Marvel comics? I'm thinking the first issues of Infinity and Mighty Avengers anyway, might have another one or two. Also I'd prefer not to give them all/both to one person (regulards preferred), but depends if more than one person asks for them.

Might be Monday night before I can send the codes though.
  • Kanjin 2 Nov 2013 22:56:30 1,112 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Nextwave is great. Shame it was cancelled so fast :(

If you liked it, you might like Irredeemable Ant-Man (another series cancelled before its time)
    I will give it a go, I'm in the mood for more!
  • spamdangled 2 Nov 2013 23:18:12 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kanjin
    It has a similar tone - parody, anti-heroes, and some great art. Well worth a read (you can actually probably get the original issues collected on ebay cheaper than it would cost for the trade)

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:18:35 02-11-2013

• caligari 22 Nov 2013 23:49:04 17,044 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably old hat to most of you, but I've read some fan-freaking-tastic boooks over the past few weeks.

Joe Sacco's 'Palestine' and 'The Fixer' (his 'Great War' book has just been released - although I wouldn't really call it a graphic novel) - Moore's 'Neonomicon' (disturbing play on all things Lovecraft) - Burns' 'Black Hole' (along with X'ed Out/The Hive) - very Cronenberg-esque, and has given me some very odd dreams, Pekar's 'Cleveland' (whilst also trying to finish off American Splendor - picked up 'The Quitter', too), Gaiman's 'The Eternals' (just picked up his take on Miracle Man, too). 'Shortcomings' was great - I'd like to read more of Tomine's stuff - oh, and 'Fun Home' - very moving.

Again, can't remember if I've already recommended these, but I also had fun with 'Asterios Polyp', 'Stuck Rubber Baby', 'The House That Groaned', and 'Skim' (I think that's its name). Also picked up a few 'Love and Rockets' collections - entertainingly weird!

Many others, but these really stand out.

Currently working my way through a few Batman books (Hush, Halloween, Owls) and 'The Incal' - along with a ton of other stuff that has meant that I've barely touched any 'puter games for the past month or so.

All is good in the world!

Edited by caligari at 00:08:23 23-11-2013
  • Page

of 66 First / Last