The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 62

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 13:15:19 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anything by Joe Hill is worth a read. The Cape was particularly good.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mikeck 30 Apr 2013 13:21:10 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll check that out too, cheers.
  • INSOMANiAC 7 May 2013 09:50:55 3,841 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, after an 18 year break form reading comics (I used to collect Batman/Superman) I'm back ! just done in the entire walking dead up to the current issue and its excellent but I'm bored to tears of Batman these days and I don't really go in for daft superheroes like the green lantern/flash etc. Is there anything out thats comical/dark without having a huge emphasis on tights wearing?

That being said I've been wading through the New 52 Batman storyline (and although I thought I was reading it in order the prologue made very little sense to me), and some of the 'Ultimate' stuff (I've always preferred DC though for some reason). I thought the Ultimate Adventures with 'Hawk-Owl' was actually really good, and the Elektra one wasnt bad. I'm now on the Spiderman ones but its same old same old on that front except everyone seems to want to call each other a 'spaz' at every given moment.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 10:11:38 07-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• morriss 7 May 2013 09:52:23 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scott Snyder's work has been the highlight of New 52, imo. The rest, meh. Capullo's art is also first rate.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2013 09:57:36 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Swamp Thing was one of the few things worth reading after the relaunch.

Its a bit annoying that he seems to be the bat-guy now as it means American Vampire will stay on hiatus indefinitely, which makes me sad.

• LockeTribal 7 May 2013 10:03:21 4,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Well if you're not looking to collect ongoing series and just fancy picking up some collected editions it's hard to go wrong with Ex Machina (former superhero becomes mayor of New York). I've also enjoyed Chew (detective who gets psychic impressions from anything he eats).

In terms of more current stuff; Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye is supposed to be superb and I've heard good things about the current X-Men Legacy series, but I've yet to read either.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2013 10:04:34 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X-Men Legacy is pretty good although its slightly running out of steam now and Hawkeye is great.

• INSOMANiAC 7 May 2013 10:10:04 3,841 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thanks I'll have a look at the Hawkeye etc although I've never been a fan of Xmen.

Im reading them on the ipad at the moment as I dont have room to store em and I prefer to batter an entire storyline in one hit, also, the art look so much better on screen.

Finally I've found an actual decent use for the iPad! who'd have thought it!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• morriss 7 May 2013 22:36:01 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Its a bit annoying that he seems to be the bat-guy now as it means American Vampire will stay on hiatus indefinitely, which makes me sad.
    Batman finally getting a decent writer is a good thing, is it not?

Edited by morriss at 22:37:27 07-05-2013
  • mikeck 8 May 2013 09:18:36 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only got round to reading #17 (trade) of Walking Dead last night. Wow...that was a hugely depressing series of events. I was genuinely upset after reading :(
  • nickthegun 8 May 2013 09:36:56 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Not if I dislike Batman but like American Vampire, no.

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 09:50:58
    Mainstream heros is where the best writers go to die.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2013 09:58:46 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The best of both worlds is when someone like bendis is talented enough to do something like Powers and still have a well liked run on Ultimate Spider-Man. Like an actor doing one for the love then one for the dough.

Everyone is happy.

I wouldnt care if Snyder was writing Batman if he was still doing AV, but he isnt and its a shame as its a really, really good series that looking increasingly like getting canned in favour of another shitty superhero comic.

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 10:00:44
    Except Powers massively suffered and got hugely delayed because of his other responsibilities, and ended up being shit and fizzling out. Not to mention the total lack of other awesome noir stuff that he used to be so prolific with.

And yes AV is great and it's a real shame what's happening to it.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2013 10:04:20 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I was thinking that as I typed it. The scheduling and, to a certain extent, quality suffered when Bendis became Marvels go-to guy.

A similar thing happened in reverse with The Walking Dead, funnily enough. Invincible used to be a fun little almost parody of super-hero comics but the more popular TWD became, the shittier Invincible got.

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 10:06:57
    To think Kirkman was the guy who did Battle Pope. He seriously dropped his sense of humour in a toilet somewhere.
  • morriss 8 May 2013 10:41:38 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Not if I dislike Batman but like American Vampire, no.
    Fair point, yeah. But in terms of mainstream Batman being generally shit, having a decent writer at the helm is a huge step in the right direction.
  • INSOMANiAC 8 May 2013 12:16:43 3,841 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I'm now up to date on Hawkeye, very enjoyable, shame the same artist as the first few didnt get the whole run though I think its 8 or 9 where they begin to look like they were scrawled by a child, I really dont understand why anyone would like that 'fast and loose' style art compared to excellent first few issues. It's like the 'death of the family' saga (which I've also just finished) Some really great art throughout and then the penultimate, and in some ways most important issue looks like it was scrawled by someone with little talent.

I really enjoyrd the Death Of The Family actually but I think I've had my fill of Batman for the time being, I'm sick to death of it being all about him and Joker and getting Joker into a position to kill him and not doing.
    I wish they'd just have him kill the fucker and it'd open a whole new way forward for a 'murderer' Batman. Of course they'd never kill of Joker properly but Batman has to kill someone someday soon!!

Starting 'preacher' now

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 12:18:16 08-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• khaz 8 May 2013 17:40:17 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If Batman ever directly killed someone in cold blood I would stop reading it right then and there forever.

I know you're half joking but its one of the few principles the superhero writing community seems to hold on to dearly. Everything else seems to be have been sacrificed for an audience that only seems to exist in their heads instead of having an unified creative vision.

Edited by khaz at 17:40:29 08-05-2013
  • INSOMANiAC 8 May 2013 18:55:33 3,841 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I disagree I think having him kill someone and suffer the mental anguish that follows would be a good storyline and show a side to him that has hitherto been unseen. Dont get me wrong if the character was a few years old I'd agree but come on, he's donkeys years old and they nbeed to take it in a new direction, its the same old stale stuff (at least the stuff I've been reading recently is)

Joker pisses me off as well.
    Take death of the family, yes, Jokers a lot more psychotic than he's ever been in some ways, but the part where he has supposedly cut off the faces of the 'bat family' and yet eh hasn't , its just a 'joke', it's a cop out and a load of bollocks, if he was THAT psychopathic he'd have done it, he supposedly wanted them all dead anyway theres was nothing stopping him mutilating them.

Of course, you could argue that a psycho is unpredictable, or that it would ruin several comics and sources of income, and that its not real, and that I'm waffling. All these points would be valid

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 18:56:04 08-05-2013

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 22:12:11 08-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• khaz 8 May 2013 21:36:12 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with all of that. It was indeed a copout.

I'm referring specifically to Batman killing someone in cold blood.
  • morriss 8 May 2013 21:53:29 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If there are in Death in the Family spoilers in there - could you spoiler them. I've got all the issues plus the side stories and am waiting to have a good read later this month.
  • senso-ji 8 May 2013 22:13:32 6,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman has killed someone before.

Dark Knight Returns

Edited by senso-ji at 22:13:39 08-05-2013
  • morriss 8 May 2013 22:15:24 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks.
  • Spanky 8 May 2013 22:16:08 14,584 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this the 90s Death in the Family? Or are they regurgitating that now?

The collected Marshall Law is out now, read that.

Plubs

• morriss 8 May 2013 22:23:10 71,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will check it out.

No, not a rehash it's "Death of the Family," but clearly a nod toward the 90s Aparo run. A great premise in which the Joker is bored of "the Bat family" and thinks Batman is getting soft because of all the cronies (as do I actually). So he wants to remind Batman of the good old days of just The Joker and him. Sounds like a decent premise but haven't read it.
  • GuiltySpark 8 May 2013 22:24:48 6,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SambaApe wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Detective Comics is fairly shit nowadays. To go from Snyder's truly excellent run at the end of DC into the wankity of the New 52, it's a shame really.

I haven't read Daredevil recently (ie the last five issues or so) but up until that I can say that it's uniformly amazing.

The best comics of the last year or so have been Waid's Daredevil, Snyder's Swamp Thing and Batman, and Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Truly awesome stuff.
    You've obviously not read it recently then because with the 'Emperor Penguin' arc drawing to a close Layman is finally going to be given free-reign after all the tie-in continuity stuf has been resolved. He appears to be resisting a long arc structure as well, which suits his storytelling beautifully.

I am still a bit irritated by the constant inconsistencies about the man-bat virus/serum between Detective and Inc, but both are superb at the moment, and as good as they have been post New 52.

Blackacre and Revival are still the best ongoings in comics at the moment though, the former had its first trade out last week if anyone wants to get 'up to speed'.
    I honestly thought it was complete throwaway stuff that I was reading.

I check IGN every now and again to see if it's reached the heights of when Snyder was writing for it, but apparently not.

Get bent.

• Spanky 8 May 2013 22:29:37 14,584 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds shit. Buy Marshall Law and read that instead.

Plubs

• Page

of 66 First / Last