The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 59

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 14:46:31 61,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks like the plan is to deal with the elephant in the room of ‘what the hell are you doing dressing a 10 year old up in armour and letting them fight muggers’ that has always hung over Batman. To be honest, I think they would have been as well to just ignore it just draws attention how stupid the whole concept of Batman is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• GuiltySpark 27 Feb 2013 14:58:38 6,470 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Batman Inc. part of the old continuity though? Meaning y'know, it means nothing.

Get bent.

• Spanky 27 Feb 2013 14:59:44 14,611 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why death, we've done that one before, what about forced sex reassignment surgery or make him become the new elasticlad.

I wonder if in a parallel universe DC aren't shite?

Plubs

• morriss 28 Feb 2013 16:51:22 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They killed him etc. they're cuints (I agree) etc. but this cover image from Capullo for Batman #18 is fucking great. http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/28/11/enhanced-buzz-wide-9074-1362069067-5.jpg

I love that man. Him and Norm and my favourites of all time, I think. Love their styles.
  • GuiltySpark 28 Feb 2013 17:11:25 6,470 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Is Batman Inc. part of the old continuity though? Meaning y'know, it means nothing.
    Wait, am I wrong here then?

Get bent.

• morriss 28 Feb 2013 17:59:41 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, you are. Nothing is old continuity, everything is new. It's best just to ignore it and enjoy the stories. :)
  • khaz 28 Feb 2013 18:00:32 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Batman Inc. because Nightwing gets attention. Nightwing is awesome.
  • GuiltySpark 28 Feb 2013 18:03:49 6,470 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yes, you are. Nothing is old continuity, everything is new. It's best just to ignore it and enjoy the stories. :)
    I coulda sworn one of the Batman Inc. stories was set before the new continuity and had a disclaimer saying as much on the first page, that's what made me think that. Although, once again, I could be completely wrong, I don't follow it.

I liked Damien though, I assume Batman and Robin will still be an ongoing series? Minus Damien, obviously.

Get bent.

• khaz 28 Feb 2013 18:09:22 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It looks like the plan is to deal with the elephant in the room of ‘what the hell are you doing dressing a 10 year old up in armour and letting them fight muggers’ that has always hung over Batman. To be honest, I think they would have been as well to just ignore it just draws attention how stupid the whole concept of Batman is.

Because children have never been used before in superhero comics before.

Batman is literally the only thing that keeps Marvel from dominating the superhero scene in comics. New 52 briefly poked its head out from the ground and then was promptly stamped back underneath by the Marvel boot.
  • rtk79 28 Feb 2013 18:16:02 497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I coulda sworn one of the Batman Inc. stories was set before the new continuity and had a disclaimer saying as much on the first page, that's what made me think that. Although, once again, I could be completely wrong, I don't follow it.

I liked Damien though, I assume Batman and Robin will still be an ongoing series? Minus Damien, obviously.
    You're right, it was the Leviathan Strikes one-shot, that featured the previous Batgirl, one of DC's now non-existent characters.
    From interviews, it seems Batman & Robin will continue as a sort of team-up / grief-counselling session for Batman, until the next Robin shows up (in Snyder's book, presumably).
  • morriss 28 Feb 2013 18:32:18 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Which is most likely Harper Row (female).

Just bring Carrie Kelly in. The only Robin I've ever had any affiliation with.

Oh, and Nightwing is a penis. :)
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 18:46:23 61,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    khaz wrote:

Because children have never been used before in superhero comics before.

Yeah and how many do it now? None, because its idiotic.

• khaz 28 Feb 2013 19:54:31 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, its definitely stupid but its hardly unique to the Batman universe.

/is having bad thoughts about Kitty's early days and her relationship with Logan

:/
  • khaz 1 Mar 2013 04:51:52 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thinking about it more, Batman and his extended universe of human superheroes is something that DC generally handles well and doesn't sideline them in the big picture. Well, Batman basically runs the Justice League like a fiefdom but that's beside the point. :D

Marvel's roster of human heroes have nowhere the same impact.
  • nickthegun 1 Mar 2013 07:39:55 61,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That.... doesnt really mean anything.

• khaz 1 Mar 2013 11:26:01 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just a thought.
  • morriss 2 Mar 2013 08:32:16 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A couple of bits of info:

100 Bullets is returning in June: Brother Lono. http://t.co/RnGViUH3tV

Batman RIP and everything after - Batman Inc etc - was all Morrison and was originally meant to be a 4-issue run. Damien's death was to conclude that run. Morrisson's whole story is supposed to be a Batman history tribute type thing. I still think it's shit. But it isn't 'DC' in that respect, demanding a death to sell more comics. As Jason Todd died, Morrison thought it necessary that his Robin should do the same.

Geoff Johns talks Superman I & II on Fatman on Batman and reveals some cool shit.

...and this Oeming Superman sketch is rather excellent. http://t.co/522voTnbIb

Edited by morriss at 08:41:56 02-03-2013
  • rtk79 4 Mar 2013 12:50:37 497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re : Batman & Robin : Grant Morrison's post-RIP pre-reboot bat-stuff is currently on sale at Comixology. Well worth a look and/or purchase, especially at these prices.
    (Actually his return of Bruce Wayne miniseries, which is both great and fairly essential to the rest of the work is not discounted, sadly. Nor are the Final Crisis recaps)
  • morriss 5 Mar 2013 06:36:53 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CUSTOM Superman LEGO
    Tonka wrote:
    Awesome!

Moar here
    Edited by morriss at 06:37:30 05-03-2013
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 06:59:57 27,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's awesome!

LEGO need to make that shizzle official.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Vortex808 5 Mar 2013 22:22:55 7,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been reading a couple of the Judge Dredd complete case files recently.

Now I've just ordered a couple of collected Strontium Dog books. I hope it's aged all right.
  • LockeTribal 11 Mar 2013 09:58:48 4,542 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Those of you with a comixology account might be interested in heading over there sometime before tomorrow as Marvel are giving away a bunch of first issues for free, including all the Marvel Now first issues so far (well at least as far as I can see).

The site is getting battered at the minute though.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:53:54 61,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished the Rotworld arc. Its pretty good. Snyders Swamp thing is excellent and Lemires Animal Man is pretty good too. Its genuinely well worth picking up and by far and away the best thing ive read since all this 52 nonsense happened.

In fact Swamp Thing is so strong that, combined with the fact that I really like american vampire, it makes me want to pick up a batman, which really is high praise.

• spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 13:20:40 27,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    Those of you with a comixology account might be interested in heading over there sometime before tomorrow as Marvel are giving away a bunch of first issues for free, including all the Marvel Now first issues so far (well at least as far as I can see).

The site is getting battered at the minute though.
    Cheers for the heads up.

I see the latest Marvel event has started (Ultron War).

By all accounts it's off to yet another typical bad start, lots of talking with nothing happening (not even exposition). Glad I'm largely giving Marvel a miss these days.

On the plus side, I am really getting in to Manhattan Projects and the Massive. Any other creator-owned stuff I should take a gander at?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 13:26:52 61,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not creator owned but everyone should be checking out prophet.

• spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 13:39:24 27,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does 100 Bullets live up to its reputation?

• senso-ji 11 Mar 2013 13:47:34 6,047 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    IMO the story started off brilliantly but then dragged on a little too long. Risso's artwork is fantastic throughout.
  • spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 13:51:34 27,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The artwork is a big draw for me... I'd be happy for some of those covers to be framed and hung on a wall. How many issues was it in the end? I have the number 100 in my head.

• morriss 11 Mar 2013 14:19:33 71,287 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    IMO the story started off brilliantly but then dragged on a little too long. Risso's artwork is fantastic throughout.
    This.

Still absolutely worth your time, however. An amazing story-telling feat, imo.

Also, new Powers is awesome.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last