of 66 First / Last

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 08:44:52 86,397 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all hero bullshit.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:08:47 58,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new run on thor is actually really good. The artwork is first rate and he doesnt punch anyone stupid like the wrecking crew, but he is involved in a story not too dissimilar to American Gods.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:15:43 86,397 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not saying all hero comics are bad.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 09:16:37 43,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's all hero bullshit.
    Comics? Absolutely.

Apart from 'When the Wind Blows.'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 12:19:06 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The new run on thor is actually really good. The artwork is first rate and he doesnt punch anyone stupid like the wrecking crew, but he is involved in a story not too dissimilar to American Gods.
    Really? Might have to take another look then. I loved Gillen's work on the Thor stuff, especially what he did with Loki. I know he's not on the title anymore (and seems to be a bit hit and miss with his output at the moment), but if it's still pretty good and largely avoiding all the "let's punch a bad guy" stuff, then I'll take another gander.

Have you tried Fatale or Manhattan Projects? Fatale is sort of a noirish thing with horror elements to it. Good whiff of Lovecraft to it, IMO. Manhattan Projects is a good one too. Neither of them are hero comics.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:20:04 04-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 12:24:07 58,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i didnt really like manhattan projects and gave up on it at about issue 5. Didnt like the characters and it is strangely boring. Same with The Massive to be honest.

Also, one to recommend, is the new run of Prophet. Its an absolutely fantastical space opera, one of those where anything that pops into the writers head makes it onto the page. It, initially, makes absolutely no sense, but then the story crystalises and it turns into an absolutely epic sci-fi.

Its so hard to describe because its just insane, but if someone told you that someone was bothering to reboot prophet, this is as far away from what you would have thought it would be like as you can imagine.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 12:30:28 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought Prophet was Liefeld title?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 12:33:29 58,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it was. As I say, you could not have had a more radical reboot.

I completely dismissed it for the same reason, but read a few reviews and decided to give it a crack and its really good.

I mean, this is sci-fi. Not hover cars and robot servants sci-fi but really out there, anything is possible sci-fi.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 12:46:53 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, it was. As I say, you could not have had a more radical reboot.

I completely dismissed it for the same reason, but read a few reviews and decided to give it a crack and its really good.

I mean, this is sci-fi. Not hover cars and robot servants sci-fi but really out there, anything is possible sci-fi.
    Sounds interesting.

That's one of the reasons I'm liking Captain America at the moment. He's not the sort of character you'd normally think is suited to the Flash-Gordon type of thing (especially after the pretty dark and gritty Brubaker era of the last few years), but it works really well so far. I mean, it's written by Rick Remender, so you expect quality anyway after his excellent run on Uncanny X-Force, but I was genuinely surprised by how good it is.

Daredevil really is one to take a look at. It's not what you would expect from a hero comic (to be fair, Daredevil has been pretty stellar for the last decade and was some of Bendis' finest work afaic). The artwork is stunning in places too.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:49:17 04-02-2013

• khaz 4 Feb 2013 15:03:35 2,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Y: The Last Man is odd, bleak, well written and compelling.

I can't wait to read the rest. I've been meaning to read it for years, finally got around to it. So worth the wait.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 15:12:42 58,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It sagged to much in the middle I stopped reading it. Took me ages to get around to reading the end.

He totally called it

• khaz 4 Feb 2013 15:14:13 2,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nooooooooo! Only just read volume 1! Don't say such things!

SHUN! SHUN!

:<
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 16:01:42 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never tried Y actually, one that I've always meant to get round to trying. I have heard it loses steam though.

Isn't there supposedly a film or something of it in the works?

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:02:16 04-02-2013

• stryker1121 4 Feb 2013 16:07:54 667 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado I read some Daredevil stuff in the early 90s and liked it. What's a good place to start with some of the newer stuff? I'm a stickler for continuity so any recommendations in terms of contiguous series would be great!
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 16:11:29 86,397 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Y was ok. Like Preacher and 100 Bullets, it probably would have benefitted from being a bit shorter. All three went off a bit somewhere in the middle, then came back strong at the end.
  • figgis 4 Feb 2013 16:14:09 7,383 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @stryker1121 Mark waid's run. Bendis will be mentioned, but waid's stuff is not second rate Frank Miller
  • RyanDS 4 Feb 2013 16:16:44 9,062 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Nooooooooo! Only just read volume 1! Don't say such things!

SHUN! SHUN!

:<
    One of my favourite comics ever. I remember downloading the last 4 or 5 as Amazon we only delivering the next day and I needed to read them NOW! Finished it at 3 am or something silly and loved every second.
  • RyanDS 4 Feb 2013 16:19:25 9,062 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Y was ok. Like Preacher and 100 Bullets, it probably would have benefitted from being a bit shorter. All three went off a bit somewhere in the middle, then came back strong at the end.
    100 Bullets I just could not get on with at all. I read the entire run as my library had it, but genuinely don't think I enjoyed it at all apart from the odd comic that actually had a briefcase and 100 bullets in it.

I'm currently reading the Boys, which is rather good in a silly fashion, along with Ex Machina which is fantastic.
  • Vortex808 4 Feb 2013 16:40:29 6,967 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Y the last Man is good, but it does dip in the middle for a bit. I really enjoyed the whole series overall though.

Like RyanDS I am also reading The Boys. I'm really enjoying it so far and it's far better than The Preacher series IMO, which I actually gave up on.

Sadly, I read too much Elephantmen and am now up to date, which is a pain, since I hate having to wait to get the next volume.

I far prefer blasting through the whole arc quite quickly if possible. I timed discovering DMZ almost to perfection, only needing to wait for the last couple of volumes to get published.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 16:49:59 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @stryker1121

For the really, really good modern stuff, I would start with Bendis' run (issue 26 of the 2001 reboot). Everything since then has been golden. Bendis really took the book in a very noir, crime-focussed direction, and the art from Maleev was utterly beautiful - the whole thing was hand-painted for a few years.

As far as classic Daredevil is concerned, then both Frank Miller and Ann Nocenti had amazing writing runs on the title. It was Frank Miller that introduced Elektra and stuff.

Daredevil is, imo, one of the best characters in the Marvel stable and he is so often overlooked by people.

The Daredevil: Yellow mini by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale was also excellent, an updated take on the origin. As was Miller's The Man Without Fear from the early 90s.

Daredevil's worst enemy has always been himself. He's prone to some severe mental breakdowns, something which his villains have always exploited. I think he's had 3 nervous breakdowns in his history, which is pretty rough going by superhero standards.

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:55:23 04-02-2013

• khaz 4 Feb 2013 16:53:29 2,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DM, what's Gillen's writing like?

His gaming stuff was always interesting but veered between amazing to "omg, stfu" for me. But never boring so i'll give him that.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 16:57:46 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    DM, what's Gillen's writing like?

His gaming stuff was always interesting but veered between amazing to "omg, stfu" for me. But never boring so i'll give him that.
    His work on Uncanny X-Men was excellent, as was his run on Journey into Mystery. I would avoid his current work on Iron Man though, it's really not very good imo. A lot of humour, good use of traditionally ignored characters, and he plays around with traditional interpretations of classic characters (his work on UXM with Mister Sinister and JIM with Loki was particularly good). Think of Morrisson crossed with Joss Whedon and you're sort of in the right area (except not as prone to batshit stupid as Morrisson can be).

One of his recent things which was very, very good was his AvX: Consequences mini. Best thing that came out of that whole event, imo.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:00:21 04-02-2013

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 17:03:08 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For another awesome hero recommendation, check out Rick Remender's work on Uncanny X-Force. It's widely regarded as one of the best comics of the last few years and for good reason.

Oh, and Peter David's work on X-Factor has been great - both the original and the post-House of M series.

Anyone who can turn a maguffin like Layla Miller into an incredibly interesting character must have talent!

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:05:20 04-02-2013

• RyanDS 7 Feb 2013 09:12:02 9,062 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished Ex Machina last night and really didn't like it.

Just feel that the way characters and events turned out annoyed me, and I really ended up hating the main character. He turns into such a cock, betraying his assistant and the "Bang" thing.

It also has some really weird and stupid stuff midway through the series. A self insert being the worst example, and one that was very poorly done. Some of the politics were also rather distasteful, but I can't really moan about that too much as the comic is meant to be expressly political. Could have done without so much of the "gee wizz Bush is really nice and people misunderstand him" stuff though.

Throughout I thought it was 8/10, but after the end I give the series a 6/10.
  • GrandpaUlrira 18 Feb 2013 21:17:12 3,753 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any thoughts on the Nova comics currently on sale on Comixology? Worth it at the discounted price?
  • theguy 18 Feb 2013 21:22:06 652 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i made a thread about it in the online shopping section but figure i may as well ask here as well.
    Has anyone had any experience with http://legionofcomics.co.uk ? Are they any good?
  • khaz 18 Feb 2013 21:38:37 2,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Making my way through the first few issues of the various new 52 titles. Wtf is this crap?

Scott Snyder's Batman is the only exception and how. Godamn, what a comic.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last