The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 55

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 16:32:54 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read about that and, yeah, it sounds cool. Except for the spectre.

Oh and I found The Massive quite boring and stopped reading it after half a dozen issues, same with Manhattan Projects.

The Massive, particularly, is pretty turgid.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• khaz 8 Jan 2013 18:27:14 2,737 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its not really a retcon. It was a solution to the very real problem that the whole point of the x-men is that mutants are a persecuted minority. When the population expands to the point where they have their own city and you cant walk down a street without tripping over someone with eight arms, you have a fundamental shift in what the book is about.

But then it went the other way and reduced the population so drastically, you couldnt have the warring ideologies anymore. Which was fine for a while but ultimately unsustainable.

In summary: the x-men suck. Ive read them in a reasonably dedicated fashion for a while and I cant keep a track of whats going on. There is no internal continuity between books, so fuck them.
    You and me clearly see M-Day as totally different things. If Marvel had any balls they would have taken the whole "Mutants are the next strand of evolution" and gone with it all the way like Grant Morrison was doing. The marvel universe could have taken a fundamental shift towards something more expansive, inclusive and epic but whatever. This is all just speculation of course but it makes perfect sense in my head.

But they just reverted to the status quo - warring ideologies as you said - because the mainstream American stuff has no interest in anything but that.

And I agree, I can't take the x-men seriously whatsoever since Whedon.
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 18:34:12 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, they basically had a choice: either take 'humans are a dead species' thing to its logical conclusion or do M-Day.

Since m-day is getting the series back to its roots and the other choice has far reaching implications for the rest of the marvel universe, they werent left with much of a choice, really.

It was an interesting idea but, ultimately, one that wont work in a broad universe.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 19:27:50 27,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As much as I love Morrison's work (and loved his run on X-Men), it was his run on X-Men that really is to blame for everything from M-Day onwards. If he hadn't suddenly exploded the mutant population overnight to the point we ended up with entire mutant districts in New York, which was completely unsustainable, we wouldn't have needed House of M, Second Coming, Messiah War, Schism, AvX or any of that.

I think Marvel realised they'd gone too far the other way with M-Day though, so AvX was them attempting to redress the balance and get back to the traditional status-quo.

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:29:03 08-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• morriss 13 Jan 2013 12:54:32 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Grnt Morrison's work is a convoluted mess that people say they understand/appreciate so as not to feel stupid. He really is the living embodiment of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Anyone grab Star Wars #1?
  • khaz 13 Jan 2013 17:07:45 2,737 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I think Grnt Morrison's work is a convoluted mess that people say they understand/appreciate so as not to feel stupid. He really is the living embodiment of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Anyone grab Star Wars #1?
    Debatable but The Filth, All Star Superman, New X-Men and his work on Batman says otherwise.
  • morriss 13 Jan 2013 17:16:05 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm talking about his work on Batman. Utter wank.
  • khaz 13 Jan 2013 17:19:32 2,737 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dunno, I kinda liked it. And I like how he digs up old stuff and manages to write it into the modern books.
  • spamdangled 13 Jan 2013 17:20:24 27,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Batman: RIP arc was tripe.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• senso-ji 13 Jan 2013 20:32:56 5,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Morrison's creator owned stuff is much better than the DC/Marvel IPs he's helmed. I think it's because he's more interested in exploring the scientific and/or philosophical side of superheroes as opposed to their heroic endeavours.

I loved the Invisibles, but New X-men wasn't that good; although the issue with no dialogue where the telepaths navigate through Professor X's mind was brilliant.
  • spamdangled 13 Jan 2013 21:48:25 27,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I loved his New X-Men work :) Especially his work with Beast, Cyclops and Phoenix.

His book is pretty good, though it does go a bit far into spiritual mumbo-jumbo towards the end.

• morriss 14 Jan 2013 10:15:31 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The Batman: RIP arc was tripe.
    It was the worst thing to happen to comics in my lifetime.

Edited by morriss at 10:15:50 14-01-2013
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2013 10:20:51 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A lifetime that includes batman having his back broken and replaced with the worst character in DC history?

Or, outside of batman, the rampant shite of the early 90s?

He totally called it

• kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:21:15 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All of these guys do better work on their own projects. The hero stuff just pays the bills. The likes of Bendis, Azarello, Morrison, Millar, Vaughn etc all do far far more meaningful and interesting stuff off their own backs.

That said, most of Morrion's stuff doesn't really do it for me. I loved We3 and Doom Patrol, but most of it's a bit weird. Filth was ridiculous.
  • morriss 14 Jan 2013 10:26:14 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    A lifetime that includes batman having his back broken and replaced with the worst character in DC history?

Yep.
  • spamdangled 14 Jan 2013 10:41:11 27,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I liked Azrael :(

• nickthegun 14 Jan 2013 10:44:01 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    All of these guys do better work on their own projects. The hero stuff just pays the bills. The likes of Bendis, Azarello, Morrison, Millar, Vaughn etc all do far far more meaningful and interesting stuff off their own backs.
    I dont know if thats true about morrisson anymore. unless hes got some poseur mission of 'changing the system from the inside' he is well established as part of the mainstream furniture now. I think he does mainstream because he likes mainstream.

And, yes, The Filth is idiotic.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 14 Jan 2013 10:46:57 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

because it was aimed at you and everyone else who buys every mainstream comic ever released. Its so telling that (afaik) he hasnt re-emerged in this ridiculous new continuity yet.

Literally the only good thing about the whole thing was Joe Quesadas art.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 14 Jan 2013 10:48:47 27,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

because it was aimed at you and everyone else who buys every mainstream comic ever released. Its so telling that (afaik) he hasnt re-emerged in this ridiculous new continuity yet.
    He'll be back eventually. It's DC, they're incapable of not bringing back even the worst bits of old continuity.

• khaz 14 Jan 2013 19:26:11 2,737 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, that's just mainstream superhero American comics in general. Not just DC.
  • Spanky 14 Jan 2013 19:49:02 14,458 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flex Mentallo was quite amusing. Nice art anyway and the new collected edition has been laboriously recoloured very nicely.

Plubs

• morriss 14 Jan 2013 23:43:39 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Powers is the best comic run I've read to date, I think.
  • khaz 15 Jan 2013 08:04:14 2,737 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But its Bendis! The best of something can never involve Bendis!

You wound me!
  • morriss 15 Jan 2013 09:07:00 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I fucking love it, sorry. :)
  • nickthegun 15 Jan 2013 09:24:32 58,920 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where are you up to?

He totally called it

• morriss 15 Jan 2013 09:26:31 70,911 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Issue #26. Walker's just been reinstated.
  • kalel 15 Jan 2013 09:39:39 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Powers is the best comic run I've read to date, I think.
    \o/

Pretty much my favourite as well I think.
  • kalel 15 Jan 2013 09:42:27 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    But its Bendis! The best of something can never involve Bendis!

You wound me!
    Bendis is probably the best example of what I'm talking about above. His pet project stuff is really good, particularly his crime stuff which is absolutely superb.

His mainstream stuff is just total fluff and complete shit.
  • w00t 15 Jan 2013 09:43:07 11,053 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am really enjoying Invincible at the moment. Got the first ultimate trade for Xmas - I may have bought the next 4 a few days later... Really good, missed this first time around.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Page

of 66 First / Last