The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 48

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 23:18:09 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My working title for the first article is "why marvel is just better than dc".

Not as trolling as it sounds though, trust me.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• morriss 1 Dec 2012 23:19:45 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Less typing, more writing. :)
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 23:21:35
    Sort of article can only come after you've built up a backlog of regular articles surely?
  • spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 23:32:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mowgli

Nah, you can go in with sound and fury just as effectively. As long as you know your subject matter and arent actively seeking to piss people off its fine in my experience. Its when you go in and be deliberately controversial at the expense of your audience that causes disaster.

Look at rab's lost humanity column here. He was controversial from the off and if anything it granted him an immediate following.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• morriss 1 Dec 2012 23:44:28 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let's be realistic, it's an opinion piece for a bit of fun on a website that no-one reads.

The Pulitzer panel won't be reading.

It's just a hobby, and hopefully an outlet for like-minded people.

Also, I won't publish anything that I deem rubbish. That goes without saying. But no-one's getting paid: there is no spoon.

Also, the articles that aren't written by me (two so far) aren't written "as a favour to me" or "for me", they are written because the writers wanted to write them.

There. I've talked about it so much almost all of the enjoyment has been sucked out of it.

If you want to write something, write it and send it. If it's good I'll publish it. If you don't want to. Don't.

Have a good weekend/Sunday.
  • spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 23:50:03 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @morriss

That's how I'm approaching it! I'm not going in thinking I'm getting a front page on the observer or something. If I like it, you like it, I'll keep doing it. If I get bored, I'll stop, if you think it's crap, you won't publish. I'm under no illusions and If I think you're wrong about not publishing something well, then there's always the "get a blog" option.

• Trafford 2 Dec 2012 01:30:40 5,270 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Marvel/DC Marvel/DC. So fucking tedious, who's the best, the Reds or the Blues.
    It's like being a film buff but only watching action flicks or a myopic football supporter.
  • spamdangled 2 Dec 2012 02:10:52 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Marvel/DC Marvel/DC. So fucking tedious, who's the best, the Reds or the Blues.
    It's like being a film buff but only watching action flicks or a myopic football supporter.
    :D

I read loads of other stuff too, but there's no getting away from the fact that a huge amount of comic readers only do it for the capes and tights stuff.

• spamdangled 2 Dec 2012 02:34:15 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deadpool game is looking good:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/deadpool/b/xbox360/archive/2012/11/30/activision-sounds-off-about-marvel-s-merc-with-a-mouth.aspx

The makers seem to genuinely understand the appeal of the character instead of just shoving him into a generic open world game that could exist without him.

• morriss 3 Dec 2012 06:51:56 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Edited the 100 Bullets review. Please feel free to laugh at me in future when it reads like shit.

Or just laugh anyway etc.
  • glo 4 Dec 2012 19:39:07 3,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Evening chaps. Trying to find an avengers collection for my mate's son for xmas. Found "Avengers Assemble Vol. 1" by kurt busiek & mark waid (amongst others which looks like it might be a good choice.

Anyone on here got it/read it and have any opinions on how suitable it would be for an 11 year old who is just getting into the avengers from watching the film/cartoons?
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 19:44:03 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @glo

That's just the first half of a larger story and deals quite extensively with tying up an awful lot of danglers that had been left hanging over the years, so for a new reader I wouldn't say it's ideal (and certainly not really a good Avengers story even for the fans).

For something suitable for an 11 year old coming in fresh, try something like Heroic Age, which was designed as a good jumping on point.

As another guide, I would avoid the Avengers stuff by Bendis - not necessarily because it's bad, but because it can be quite adult both in content (some rather explicit violence at times) and themes and I'm not entirely certain an 11 year old will be thrilled by a superhero comic that is taken up mostly by people talking around a table about politics instead of smacking seven bells of crap out of things and going on a bit of a romp, however much they might be delighted at the occasional gory death.

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:47:40 04-12-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:50:47 04-12-2012

• glo 4 Dec 2012 20:37:14 3,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @darkmorgado - Cheers for the tips mate. I will continue to look for something suitable.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 21:37:26 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get a load of 'essential avengers'. Tons of pages, good clean fun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=essential+avengers&sprefix=essential+a%2Caps%2C226

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 01:31:12 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Get a load of 'essential avengers'. Tons of pages, good clean fun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=essential+avengers&sprefix=essential+a%2Caps%2C226
    Another good suggestion, depending on what you're comfortable with him reading and what you think his level is. Classic is classic, but can also be dated, and most of the Essentials reprints are in plain old black and white.

Is it just Avengers he's into (bearing in mind as well that the individual heroes in that team have had their own comics and history stretching back half a century themselves)? If he has a favourite character it might make it a little easier to focus on that.

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:38:12 05-12-2012

• glo 5 Dec 2012 10:03:50 3,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The avengers (film and recent cartoon series) are what he is into AFAIK. I would prefer to get him something more modern (and in colour) if I can but I am aware that a lot of the more recent marvel stuff requires readers to have knowledge of the last 10 years of continuity to have a clue what is going on.

The key requirements are:

classic avengers characters that he knows (iron man, thor, cap am, hulk, etc) are present
    No adult themes or violent imagery
    Doesn't require him to understand too much backstory
    Generally suitable reading level for an 11 year old

Might be a bit of a tall order I know.
  • kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:07:27 83,871 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The answer to your prayers:

http://marvelkids.marvel.com/
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 10:07:40 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Marvel have a line for younger readers called Marvel Ages, not sure if they do Avengers stuff in that line (and its outside regular continuity) but it's worth looking into.

It used to be that the Ultimate line was the go-to for backstory-free, kid-frinedly stuff but the Ultimate Avangers stuff is probably more graphic and adult than anything even in the standard universe.

• nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:10:37 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your problem is that most modern avengers media outside the comics, certianly the films and the like, are based on the ultimates, which is quite violent but by far the best of the modern stuff.

The modern avengers run, which has none of the characters you mentioned, is also quite violent. If this was a bit further down the line, you may be in luck as marvel seem to have realised this and are trying to get it back to being a bit more family friendly.

The best, least violent avengers with the characters you mentioned is pretty much the old stuff I linked to.

So, your choices are:

New and violent

Old and not so violent

Get him the newer stuff. hes eleven. hes probably seen robocop and whatever at a friends house anyway, so whats a few people getting exploded?

He totally called it

• nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:11:53 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At 11 I would have poo-poo'd marvel kids. Its written *really* young.

But, yeah, its worth a crack.

He totally called it

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 10:15:13 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    At 11 I would have poo-poo'd marvel kids. Its written *really* young.

But, yeah, its worth a crack.
    True, I started "normal" Marvel at around that age and even back then it dealt with some hefty stuff like Aids, genocide, the holocaust and rape.

And that was just the x-men.

But obviously at the end of the day you know your own kid better than any of us.

• glo 5 Dec 2012 10:38:30 3,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it was my own kid it wouldn't be a problem. He's my best mate's kid and his mum (also a mate - I introduced them) is very averse to anything violent.

I will have a look at the marvel kids stuff but like you say it is probably too kid-friendly for an 11 year old. Personally I think he would be fine with the normal comics, my gran was buying me x-men, daredevil and the like from the age of 9 onwards in the late 70s/early 80s. They were probably not suitable with hindsight but it never did me any harm (I hope).
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:42:41 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Give him a waterstones voucher and get his mum to take him to the graphic novel section. Jobs a good un.

He totally called it

• kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:45:57 83,871 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really don't think Marvel Kids is too young for 11 year olds. Looking at their digital comics I'm fairly sure they're aimed at kids slightly older than that if anything.

Comics have changed since we were kids, they've aged with our generation really. Your average hero comic is genuinely aimed at adults these days. That's why things like Marvel Kids now exist when they didn't before.
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 10:52:08 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You might be right. Im looking at it from my perspective as an 11 year old when the dark age was just kicking off. They look young to me, but then I was reading cable and the x-force and all that shit at his age.

Also, my daughter watches ultimate spiderman and shes 4.

He totally called it

• kalel 5 Dec 2012 10:53:32 83,871 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The TV show of Ultimate Spider-Man falls under Marvel Kids.
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2012 11:01:37 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know.

He totally called it

• glo 5 Dec 2012 11:16:17 3,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Give him a waterstones voucher and get his mum to take him to the graphic novel section. Jobs a good un.
    This is sounding more and more like the best solution. Though I think that his parents will consider it a lazy cop-out on my part.

Might have to try and find the time to get down to waterstones/forbidden planet and have a look for myself.
  • senso-ji 5 Dec 2012 14:19:10 5,303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyone used the Dark Horse comics app? They have an offer at the moment of every issue of Hellboy, plus the art book for $100. I can't find this deal on the app - if I purchase it through their website, will it download onto the tablet app automatically?
  • morriss 5 Dec 2012 20:56:23 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://on.cbr.cc/TPVaj6

Avengers cartoon trailer
  • Page

of 65 First / Last