The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 42

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• Trafford 26 Aug 2012 12:46:51 5,736 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    My oldest has got a man-crush on Green Lantern so I'm adding the comic to my monthly sub. He can't read but he wants to look at the pictures. If he loses interest I'll just cancel.

Does anyone read it?

(Also, does anyone have 'Tec #871-873 they want to sell? (first prints) )
    I read GL 4 from Rebirth upto Blackest night. Was pretty good, especially the Sinestro Wars stuff. All went to shit after that. The Green Lantern corps by Dave Gibbons was ace also
    I was thinking of selling my collection of trades if anyones interested.
  • morriss 26 Aug 2012 14:48:53 70,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been a total reboot now though, innit. Wondered what the quality was like. Thanks
    Or the heads up on the back issues though. Might be worth checking out.
  • Trafford 26 Aug 2012 15:24:28 5,736 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rebirth and V4 & Corps was a big reboot in itself. Tied in with Final Crisis also, which I bought into.
    Why did they and more importantly I bother??
    Glad to say that like a moustache, DC comics was just a phase I went through.
  • morriss 30 Aug 2012 09:08:51 70,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just read Before Watchmen: Rorschach. I know people here have an aversion to IGN, but their review of it is spot on. And completely non-spoilery.
  • damagedinc 7 Sep 2012 11:28:09 722 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any tips for comics to follow. I have batman and amazing spiderman on my pull list atm.

I normally collect trade collections.

I have preacher, y last man, cival war and most batmans. Just hard to find something to follow as there are so many different versions of the same thing etc.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 11:59:21 9,573 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hello.
    I want to join your club.

After watching Ultimate Spider-Man on DisneyXD the other day I fancied having a look at some comics again. It's been a while. I used to read a bit of stuff as a teen but since then I've only read some Sin City and Scott Pilgrim.

Quite interested in the Marvel Universe, Spidey and Hulk in particular.
    Don't know if I've ever read any DC stuff.

I think I'd like to read them on ipad. Where the feck do I start?

Be gentle on me.
  • LockeTribal 11 Sep 2012 12:35:14 4,512 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Comixology seems to be what everyone recommends for digital comics these days. Haven't a notion what comics to recommend picking up at the minute though as I'm fairly out of touch with current storylines and what not.

If you liked the Spidey cartoon you could do worse than picking yourself up some collected editions of Ultimate Spider-Man.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2012 12:40:20 59,449 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive started reading crossed recently. Its so fucked up its unbelievable.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• GuiltySpark 11 Sep 2012 12:41:07 6,357 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Spiderman cartoon is utter bollocks!

That said, the actual Ultimate Spiderman comic is good, and noob friendly (it's what it was made for). The Amazing Spiderman might be too difficult to just jump in (which is why I haven't).

Punisher and Daredevil are quite new, and both are amazing. You shouldn't shy away from DC though! The reboot last year means peeps in your situation have it easy.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 11 Sep 2012 12:45:51 59,449 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new ultimate spiderman is ok. Its quite nice that they ditched peter parker.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 12:54:03 9,573 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    That Spiderman cartoon is utter bollocks!
    Each to their own ;)
  • Dr-Strangelove 11 Sep 2012 13:54:25 2,130 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you have the money then you can't go to badly wrong than with this...

http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html
  • Derblington 11 Sep 2012 14:02:07 21,500 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @binky
    It's easily the worst cartoon Marvel have put out in a while. Check out Spectacular if you want to see the best one (God only knows why they cancelled that for the USM turd).
  • speedofthepuma 11 Sep 2012 14:17:11 13,283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:

How much does that actually add up to? And how good are the books?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 14:21:40 9,573 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Derblington Sorry, I didn't want to sound wanky - my point was that *I* rather liked it.
  • Dr-Strangelove 11 Sep 2012 14:22:29 2,130 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @speedofthepuma

The first few issues are dirt cheap and you can cancel any time.

They quality is very good (hard back bound) and generally is cheaper than buying the novels or comics separately.

The stories they've selected are generally very good with a mix of current and golden age. I'll see if I can dig out a review site I found.

Edited by Dr-Strangelove at 14:23:04 11-09-2012
  • speedofthepuma 11 Sep 2012 14:23:38 13,283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am sorely tempted by that actually.. thanks*

*Please note, my wife may not feel the same way.

Edited by speedofthepuma at 14:24:46 11-09-2012

• Derblington 11 Sep 2012 14:28:39 21,500 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @binky
    I know, and it's cool. But it is really bad in comparison to the others. I saw episode 1 and hated pretty much everything about it, I can't stand it.

The comic line is decent though.
  • Dr-Strangelove 11 Sep 2012 14:30:00 2,130 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @speedofthepuma

Here it is....

http://www.sidekickcast.com/?s=marvel+graphic+novel+collection
  • LockeTribal 11 Sep 2012 15:08:10 4,512 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:

How much does that actually add up to? And how good are the books?
    I'm currently subscribed to this. The production quality of the books themselves is fantastic; the stories... well it varies - some superb, some good and some meh. In saying that I'm really enjoying the range and variety so far. Got Marvels in the post last week and just finished reading through it last night - brilliant stuff and one of the reasons I signed up to the whole thing.

As to cost, 9.99/15.99 per issue and there's around 60 issues, so 600/960. Quite a bit of cash, and it may end up cheaper to find a list of the stories that are in the collection and buying the TPBs of the ones you want.

EDIT: The wikipedia entry for the collection actually has all the issues that will be coming out on it, just FYI.

Edited by LockeTribal at 15:11:28 11-09-2012
  • spamdangled 11 Sep 2012 16:20:09 27,276 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been very happy so far with the collection, though I've had some books of iffy quality, with scratched and torn pages and printing problems, but a quick call to them and I got replacements straight away.

But whose bright idea was it to put Spider-Man: Revelations in there? That was an abortion back when it was released and it's an abortion now. The only people who liked it were Marvel themselves, because it finally got them out of the Clone Saga mess and Mary Jane's pregnancy.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• damagedinc 11 Sep 2012 19:20:58 722 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Economic comics is good for online subs highly recommend thats if you want indivual books. you can add the TP's instead if thats your thing..
  • morriss 12 Sep 2012 13:56:10 70,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This picture is awesome:

• speedofthepuma 12 Sep 2012 14:10:45 13,283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:
    @speedofthepuma

Here it is....

http://www.sidekickcast.com/?s=marvel+graphic+novel+collection
    Thanks Doc, the only annoying thing is it's $20 here in Australia, not the $15 it ought to be with the exchange rate..

• spamdangled 12 Sep 2012 16:47:09 27,276 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New York Times has revealed the big shock ending of Avengers vs X-Men

BIG SPOILER! (obviously)

Professor Xavier is murdered by a now completely Phoenix-corrupted Cyclops. Apparently Marvel are not going to reverse this anytime soon, as they consider Xavier an anachronism with no place in the X-men now that they've all grown up and moved on to greater things without him

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• khaz 12 Sep 2012 23:02:55 2,781 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You mean become such demoralising assholes who couldn't hold on to a principle to save their lives?

The X-Men died for me after Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon.
  • binky Moderator 14 Sep 2012 09:18:51 9,573 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So over the last few days I've been exploring some of the freebie stuff on Comixology and have read two out of three of the Batman Cacophony books. Thought they were ok, not sure I like Walt Flannigan's take on the Joker stylings though.

Picked up a free issue 1 of GIRLS by the Luna brothers (?). Thought the art was really good, anyone read the others? Worth a punt? (Yes I did download the freebie because there was a naked lady on the front).
  • NeoGoaT 15 Sep 2012 15:50:33 290 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want to dip my toe into physical comics. Can anyone recommend UK retailers? Is there a UK based comic forum with a trading section? Id like to pick up a few complete series maybe to get me started.
  • damagedinc 15 Sep 2012 18:17:35 722 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    NeoGoaT wrote:
    I want to dip my toe into physical comics. Can anyone recommend UK retailers? Is there a UK based comic forum with a trading section? Id like to pick up a few complete series maybe to get me started.
    Economic comics for subscrption weeklys. For trades searching on amazon etc ptob best bet.
  • khaz 15 Sep 2012 23:53:45 2,781 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NeoGoaT wrote:
    Where do you live? If its anywhere near/around London I can think of a few shops you can check out.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last