The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 5

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• morriss 27 Aug 2006 21:58:26 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can a mod not rename to The Comics Thread or somesuch apt title and bung it in the useful threads guide?

With kalel's permission of course...
  • Lex_Luthor 27 Aug 2006 22:02:19 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up a couple of trade paperbacks this week(Now that there's a comic shop next to my office, it's gonna be hard to resist buying a new one every sodding day :( ). First was volume 1 of the new 'X-Factor' series, which is shaping up very nicely, taking off from Peter David's excellent Madrox mini series from last year and actually doing something interesting with a rather 'throwaway' character introduced in that shitty House of M crossover. Really liked it, I'll have to see about tracking down the issues that followed that volume next week.

Also 'X-Statix presents: Deadgirl'. Not sure how many here might have read 'X-Statix'(and the brief run it had as 'X-Force' prior to being called that), but it was a superb series I'd strongly recommend to anyone. Out now across 4 or 5 trades I think. Anyway, Deadgirl was a welcome return for the series(of sorts), and a pretty good laugh as well. Loved the 'book club' made up of dead Marvel females like Gwen Stacy and Moira McTaggert :)

Anyhow, can anyone tell me if the series 'Gotham Central' was any good? I saw the trades for it and was tempted, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the bother. Anybody read it?
  • morriss 27 Aug 2006 22:04:22 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't read them, no. If you go over to The Batman site I linked to on the previous page., you can at least read what the stories are about and their forums might have some opinions too.
  • Lex_Luthor 27 Aug 2006 22:06:55 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit... that place does look pretty handy. Ta :p
  • spindizzy 27 Aug 2006 22:07:12 6,400 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    oneiros wrote:
    Huh? I've been a HUGE fan of Frank Quitely ever since his work on 2000AD's Shimura; how can you not like it? I buy books solely for his work; it's even led me over to the dark side (Marvel) now and again. ;)

Oh well, diff'rent strokes...

Frank Quitelys artwork is a pile of poo, well it was when he did Shimura :) My Brother and his friend Started that off and mister Quitely killed Shimura with his scratchy clumsy artwork.

Weird. I might be mixing up which bits were Frank Quitely and which were other artists, but I remember being extremely impressed with the art on Shimura....
  • morriss 27 Aug 2006 22:09:31 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Shit... that place does look pretty handy. Ta :p

Yeah. I only found it about a week ago. If you go here you get storyline and the original comics #'s that features in the TPB's which is great for collectors like myself.

Really good site.
  • morriss 27 Aug 2006 22:27:46 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great list of comics here Kal, I take it you've or at least know about the Superman ones.

Just bought Vengeance of Bane signed by both artists with a COA to boot for only £10.49. Not a bad deal if I say so myself!
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 14:51:31 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finish The Long Halloween.

What a story! Unbelieveable. Had me gussing and guessing. This is Batman at his best: being The Dark Knight Dectective. Loads of insight into Harvey Dent and his family, and the Gordon's too. A brilliant, brilliant crime thriller that would've been just as good if Philip Marlowe was the P.I. and not The Batman. That's compliment anough in itself.

Don't delay: get it!

• morriss 30 Aug 2006 14:52:13 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Can a mod not rename to The Comics Thread or somesuch apt title and bung it in the useful threads guide?

With kalel's permission of course...

Bumped. :)
  • Universal_Hamster 30 Aug 2006 15:14:10 4,948 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Anyhow, can anyone tell me if the series 'Gotham Central' was any good? I saw the trades for it and was tempted, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the bother. Anybody read it?
    I get Gotham Central, and I can safely say its fantabulous.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2006 15:21:40
    Thread title changed as requested.
  • tincanrocket 30 Aug 2006 15:23:53 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got the hardback of Marvel Zombies, which was a good read and has some very un-Marvel gross out moments.

And, as I am too lazy to read the last few pages (sorry!), just in case anyone hasn't mentioned it... BUY "THE WALKING DEAD" - best comic book series I have read since Watchmen and an absolute must for Zombie fans.

Edit:

/goes off to read thread

Ahh, Mr Whacker has pimped this already!! Never mind, it deserves mucho pimpage cos it is ACE

Edited by tincanrocket at 15:27:42 30-08-2006
  • kalel 30 Aug 2006 15:30:35 83,882 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:

Cheers boss! :)

I love the Long Halloween. I actually donít like a lot of Batman comics, they often take themselves too seriously for my liking, and while I donít like the camp Batman comics of old, thereís very few that tread the balance well. Thatís why I like the Loeb ones so much. He seems to really get that balance right, and he does it by having the right amount of humour and comic zanyness with his villains to contrast the serious moodiness of Batman. Awesome stuff, enjoy the others :)
  • Onny 30 Aug 2006 16:46:37 5,697 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone read Planetary? Surely the most infuriatingly irregular release calendar ever, but it's an awesome, awesome story.

And +1 on the "Frank Quietly Sucks!" list.. the man can't draw women to save his life. And how come all his characters have flat faces? Going from Hitch to Quietly on the Authority was quite a shock. :(
  • Universal_Hamster 30 Aug 2006 17:00:12 4,948 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the first planetary TP, but by the end of the second, I was so completely confused I just lost interest.

I think I was just not familiar with all the references in it. Maybe I could enjoy it nowadays.
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:03:58 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:

Cheers boss! :)

I love the Long Halloween. I actually donít like a lot of Batman comics, they often take themselves too seriously for my liking, and while I donít like the camp Batman comics of old, thereís very few that tread the balance well. Thatís why I like the Loeb ones so much. He seems to really get that balance right, and he does it by having the right amount of humour and comic zanyness with his villains to contrast the serious moodiness of Batman. Awesome stuff, enjoy the others :)

+1 On the thread title change HA.

I haven't got Dark Victory or Haunted Knight yet, but now I've read both Hush and Long Halloween, both superb. They way he concots mysteries involving almost every villan in Gotham with it becomming convoluted, unreastic or unnecessary is genius. Also his plot-twists are pure class, I never knew what hit me at the end of Long Halloween.

I recommend a re-read. Then you 'might' be able to explain Catwoman's role in all of it. :)
  • Spanky 30 Aug 2006 17:14:17 14,448 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ere can you lot also review the art on the comics you're recommending and reviewing, i hear a lot about how the story R0xx0r65 but that's no good to a comic art whore like me.

Without top notch art there really is no point.

Also make it clear if the cover and interior artist is different as that's an instant 3 strikes.

:D

Plubs

• morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:15:48 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Ere can you lot also review the art on the comics you're recommending and reviewing, i hear a lot about how the story R0xx0r65 but that's no good to a comic art whore like me.

Also make it clear if the cover and interior artist is different as that's an instant 3 strikes.

Long Halloween Artwork. Although google really is your friend, you know?! :p
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:17:02 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Teh Joker in Long Halloween.
  • Goban 30 Aug 2006 17:20:54 8,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spanky wrote:

+1
  • kalel 30 Aug 2006 17:21:53 83,882 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You ain't gonna like any of it Spanky, I don't think I even saw a background, let alone a good one.

I thought the artwork in the new Garth Ennis thing was pretty funky, but then I just get taken by the whole bum sex thing...

Speaking of which, morriss, I take it you've read Preacher...
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:22:54 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Preacher? Nope, can't say I have.
  • kalel 30 Aug 2006 17:25:53 83,882 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK look, I know I keep on telling you to read things, and you keep on going 'yeah yeah, ok, I will, blah blah', but this is important ok? You really really need to read Preacher. Just get the first GN, it's like 8 quid or something, and I promise you'll think it's one of, if not the best, thing you've read. I swear you'll love it. I just know. There's no superheros in it, and it's quite dark, but it's also hilarious, like actually laugh out loud hilarious. It's bloody fantastic!
  • Goban 30 Aug 2006 17:26:48 8,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved Preacher, need to re-read it.

EDIT: read it morriss :)

Edited by Goban at 17:27:14 30-08-2006
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:27:36 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah, yeah, ok, I will.

:)

It's my birthday though in six weeks in case you were stuck for an idea...;)
  • Spanky 30 Aug 2006 17:29:44 14,448 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ugh! manga-esc shit
    /strikes off long halloween

See thon preacher and 100 bullets for that matter why do books etc, waterstones n'that only ever stock volumes 3,7 and 5. They're no use to no cu..

Plubs

• kalel 30 Aug 2006 17:31:12 83,882 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have already given you the gift of my wisdom, how dare you ask for more :/

In fact, seeing as you like your dark comics I'm suprised you haven't read more Vertigo stuff, it's all so effing good! I was re-reading Invisibles for the first time in ages last night and it is absolutely effing superb. Grant Morrison really is the muts when he's on point.

Seriously though, Preacher, it's great.
  • kalel 30 Aug 2006 17:33:26 83,882 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    ugh! manga-esc shit
    /strikes off long halloween

See thon preacher and 100 bullets for that matter why do books etc, waterstones n'that only ever stock volumes 3,7 and 5. They're no use to no cu..

YOU haven't read Preacher?? :o

I just assumed that Cassidy was who you modelled yourself on!! :D
  • morriss 30 Aug 2006 17:33:36 70,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I have already given you the gift of my wisdom, how dare you ask for more :/

In fact, seeing as you like your dark comics I'm suprised you haven't read more Vertigo stuff, it's all so effing good! I was re-reading Invisibles for the first time in ages last night and it is absolutely effing superb. Grant Morrison really is the muts when he's on point.

Seriously though, Preacher, it's great.

Yeah. I'll look out for it. Tbh. though mate, I spend so much on Batman I've never been able to justify buying into anything else.

If I see it cheap I'll pick it up. If I'm going to spend £8 on comics I could get a few original Dark Victory's for that money. Or just a few back-catalogue issues I don't yet own. Believe me my EBay 'Watching' list is jam packed at all times.
  • Spanky 30 Aug 2006 17:36:29 14,448 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I just assumed that Cassidy was who you modelled yourself on!! :D
    /googles!

\o/

Plubs

• Page

of 65 First / Last