The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 40

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• morriss 29 Jul 2012 10:05:26 70,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just bought #1 for silly money. But is was pretty good. Just need the rest. Fucking expensive.
  • Arrr9 29 Jul 2012 15:54:08 415 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a little ask really in case anyone happens to be in the know; I've just read through all the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics and was just wondering if anyone had recommendations along the same kind of lines ie. the kind of underground comics from the late 60's / early 70's. I'm going to check out some more of R. Crumbs stuff but any recommendations would be good.
  • Spanky 29 Jul 2012 16:15:54 14,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It take it you've done all of Fat Freddys Cat with that? Not much else lasted in comix form afaik, Zap? Mr Natural? Trashman? I'd move into the 80's if i was you otherwise you'll be hitting the old music hippy mags like Oz, hitting politics or going mainstream with Mad.

Plubs

• Arrr9 29 Jul 2012 16:34:17 415 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, went through all of Fat Freddys Cat as well. Got some Zap on order and have seen a little of Mr Natural and to be honest hitting the old hippy mags has a certain appeal ! It's really that kind of time that has the appeal for me. That and the fact that Alfred E. Neuman has always put me off reading Mad.
  • morriss 6 Aug 2012 18:30:35 70,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Taking comic books seriously. http://www.colgateconnect.org/s/801/scene_inside_2col.aspx?gid=1&pgid=4647&sid=801
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 7 Aug 2012 20:50:58 410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Its shit isn't it? Too many reboots/clean-ups from Marvel in the last seven years.

Started with Disassembled, M-Day, then Civil War, then the Initiative, Secret Invasion, Messiah Complex, One More Day, X-Men vs. Avengers and now this....it never ends. Every 10-12 months there's something new affecting the whole Marvel universe.

Fuck. Off. Indeed.

It just convinces me more and more with each passing day that Marvel didn't have the balls to take Grant Morrison's world forward after he finished New X-Men. They just reset everything to zero. Ugh! If it wasn't for Deadpool I wouldn't be reading Marvel anymore frankly. Is he part of their top selling range of titles now?

Edited by khaz at 00:43:12 18-07-2012
    Just out of interest, which Deadpool series are you reading these days, and are they any good? The Joe Kelly run in the 90s got me into comics, I absolutely loved that character. Took a break from collecting for a while; cut to ten years later and he's bloody everywhere, and Wolverine Origins is shitting on my childhood.

Just recently tried getting back into it, but there's so many series/mini series to catch up on; Deadpool, Cable and Deadpool, X Force, Deadpool Corps, Team Up, Pulp...some of them look pretty patchy. Any tips on which are worthwhile?
  • LockeTribal 7 Aug 2012 22:31:37 4,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I picked up the first TPB of DeadpoolMAX a while back and enjoyed it. Obviously it's outside the main universe's continuity, but it's a fun story and DP's as mad as ever.
  • caligari 7 Aug 2012 23:05:53 17,022 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been enjoying Top 10 and Tom Strong all over again.

I was also foolish enough to pick up A.L.I.E.E.E.N from a charity store. So cute, but oh-so upsetting.
  • azurelas_2 8 Aug 2012 06:42:06 1,111 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anybody read Blacksad yet? Simply amazing.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Aug 2012 08:50:31 23,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Snyder's batman run is great so far. Read the first two issues of I, Vampire and it seems promising too.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• nickthegun 8 Aug 2012 09:10:17 59,416 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I've been enjoying Top 10 and Tom Strong all over again.
    Top Ten is excellent. The run it frustratingly short and the minis after that arent as good (but SMAX is still quite decent), but it is one of my favourite moore series.

Tom Strong is pretty cool too, but I just couldnt get on with Promethea.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:10:52 08-08-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• morriss 8 Aug 2012 19:09:15 70,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up Swamp Thing #53 & #54 today. Got inspired by Walt Flanagan on Fatman on Batman pod. One of his top 10 favourite Batman stories ever.

This week's show is well worth a listen, imo.
  • spamdangled 8 Aug 2012 19:46:55 27,276 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Snyder's batman run is great so far. Read the first two issues of I, Vampire and it seems promising too.
    I'll second the love the Snyder. Utterly brilliant run so far. Capullo's artwork is pretty nice on the eye too. The Court of Owls are one of the best new villains for Batman in years.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 8 August 2012 19:53:59
    I got King City and Orcstain in the post this morning.

Serious art boner right now.
  • morriss 8 Aug 2012 19:59:17 70,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I'll second the love the Snyder. Utterly brilliant run so far. Capullo's artwork is pretty nice on the eye too. The Court of Owls are one of the best new villains for Batman in years.
    Slowly trying to get the first prints of Batman and 'Tec New 52 will getting the last 8-10 comics before volume 1 ended.
  • kalel 8 Aug 2012 20:02:51 86,899 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Picked up Swamp Thing #53 & #54 today. Got inspired by Walt Flanagan on Fatman on Batman pod. One of his top 10 favourite Batman stories ever.

This week's show is well worth a listen, imo.
    For a second there I thought you'd finally actually got a comic that wasn't Batman, but no.
  • morriss 8 Aug 2012 20:05:39 70,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I finally read The Watchmen. And the stuff you lent me. But yeah, that's it.
  • khaz 9 Aug 2012 08:02:13 2,778 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Garlvinlandblueblood wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    Its shit isn't it? Too many reboots/clean-ups from Marvel in the last seven years.

Started with Disassembled, M-Day, then Civil War, then the Initiative, Secret Invasion, Messiah Complex, One More Day, X-Men vs. Avengers and now this....it never ends. Every 10-12 months there's something new affecting the whole Marvel universe.

Fuck. Off. Indeed.

It just convinces me more and more with each passing day that Marvel didn't have the balls to take Grant Morrison's world forward after he finished New X-Men. They just reset everything to zero. Ugh! If it wasn't for Deadpool I wouldn't be reading Marvel anymore frankly. Is he part of their top selling range of titles now?

Edited by khaz at 00:43:12 18-07-2012
    Just out of interest, which Deadpool series are you reading these days, and are they any good? The Joe Kelly run in the 90s got me into comics, I absolutely loved that character. Took a break from collecting for a while; cut to ten years later and he's bloody everywhere, and Wolverine Origins is shitting on my childhood.

Just recently tried getting back into it, but there's so many series/mini series to catch up on; Deadpool, Cable and Deadpool, X Force, Deadpool Corps, Team Up, Pulp...some of them look pretty patchy. Any tips on which are worthwhile?
    Anything I can get my hands on. I've read the original run from the 90s all the way through. So what i'll do is just list everything i've read and put it on order so you can cover the character properly. Deadpool is among Marvel's best written solo titles frankly. He's just as good as Daredevil and Spidey (When Spidey isn't being shat on by continuity bashing editors that is).

Deadpool Vol 1. - Kelly's run till 2002.
    Agent X - 15 issue maxi series, directly follows volume 1. Technically avoidable but is surprisingly a good way to finish of Joe Kelly's take on Wade so if you want some closure get it.
    Cable and Deadpool - Awesome, awesome series. Entire series written by Fabien Nicieza (Co-creator) so its consistent and the artwork is good as well. Monthly series that ran for five years and is one of the funniest mainstream(ish) titles I have ever read. If you're looking for just one series to pick the character up again, its this one. 51 issues of consistent Deadpool at his crazy best.
    Deadpool Vol 4. - still going. Started in 2009 with a Secret Invasion tie-in (Wade takes out a Skrull warship all by his lonesome!). Why its volume 4 i'm not sure but its labelled as Deadpool 1 (Vol 4). They've just done something monumental to Wade in issue 50 but i'm being patient with where its going to go. So far its interesting. Its better than Kelly's run personally so definitely worth getting but I would strongly urge you read Cable&Deadpool first, then start this.

These four are the main continuity runs (As main as Deadpool continuity gets :D). The mini series, side titles etc. are below.

Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth - Hmmm, skippable but worth a look if/when you want. Personally, i'm a fan and Headpool is always a good laugh.
    Prelude to Deadpool Corps and Deadpool Corps - Five, count'em, FIVE Deadpools from alternate dimensions go on an epic space opera quest. This does sound great but it isn't really. I have never like Rob Leifeld's art and the story peters out into pure nonsense. You can avoid prelude and this and you won't miss anything.
    Deadpool Team-Up - fun series, its pure joy and nothing else. Deadpool + Hercules together is just brilliant! Then there's the issue where Wade sells his soul to the Devil's daughter. :D If you like pure nonsense, team-up is worth it otherwise avoid.
    Deadpool: Suicide Kings - Deadpool, Spidey, Punisher, Daredevil, Tombstone and the Wrecking Crew. Mini series of pure AWESOME! Get it!

I have to yet read DeadpoolMAX but i'll get around to it eventually.

tl;dr

Agent X - Optional
    Cable and Deadpool - Get!
    Deadpool Vol. 4 - Get!
    Merc With a Mouth - Optional
    Prelude to Deadpool Corps - Avoid
    Deadpool Corps - Avoid
    Team-Up - Optional
    Suicide Kings - Get!

Edited by khaz at 08:13:34 09-08-2012

Edited by khaz at 08:13:55 09-08-2012
  • GuiltySpark 9 Aug 2012 09:17:55 6,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished The Black Mirror Detective Comics run from Snyder, right before the New 52.

Fuck me, that was good, but disturbing as hell.

Get bent.

• CosmicFuzz 9 Aug 2012 09:50:44 23,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Issue 12 of batman was average. No more filler snyder!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• GuiltySpark 9 Aug 2012 10:06:09 6,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Literally also just read that, and I agree. It got 9.5 from IGN! Though I guess that's the problem... really need another comics website.

I hope this Harper character isn't going to be an ongoing thing.

Get bent.

• CosmicFuzz 9 Aug 2012 12:29:39 23,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know! Just read the 9.5 as well, Christ. I didn't even realise she'd been in it before. Comic book resource always seemed pretty good. Not sure I trust ign's scoring now..!

Also this is fucking hilarious:

http://mitchoconnell.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/sex-in-comic-top-100-strangest.html?spref=tw&m=1

• damagedinc 9 Aug 2012 13:00:50 721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Literally also just read that, and I agree. It got 9.5 from IGN! Though I guess that's the problem... really need another comics website.

I hope this Harper character isn't going to be an ongoing thing.
    My understanding its a one off with cloonan showcasing her art. New arc from #13. Have had batman #0 added to my pull list so hoping the court of owls arc will be put into a volume as havent got 1-12. Didnt want to start half way through.

Black mirror was quality, very much looking forward to the joker in october
  • boo 9 Aug 2012 13:56:47 11,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished reading Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday.

Abso-bloody-lutely fantastic.

Not read any X-Men before, so purists might consider it just an irrelevant sideline by a celeb author, but I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Not cheap but worth every penny.

Edited by boo at 14:05:45 09-08-2012

Just Another Lego Blog

• LockeTribal 9 Aug 2012 14:01:42 4,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @boo It's great isn't it? The dialogue is just perfect and, in my opinion at least, the art is gorgeous.
  • Arrit 9 Aug 2012 15:02:37 414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • khaz 9 Aug 2012 16:38:19 2,778 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Astonishing X-Men is one of the greatest super hero team runs I have ever read. I am also a complete Kitty Pryde fanboy.

In my top five.

Edited by khaz at 16:44:00 09-08-2012
  • spamdangled 9 Aug 2012 17:05:10 27,276 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @khaz

Deadpool is vol4 because he had two miniseries before the Keyllo series.

The first, Deadpool: The Circle chase (vol. 1) was a 4issue mini and was the first gig Joe Mdureira got with Marvel, the second (just called Deadpool, vol. 2), Kelly's run (vol.3), then vol. 4 starting Secret Invasion.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 9 Aug 2012 17:06:06 27,276 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Astonishing X-Men is one of the greatest super hero team runs I have ever read. I am also a complete Kitty Pryde fanboy.

In my top five.
    Same here! Whedon totally nailed it during his run. The first issue (especially the bit where Kitty and Emma take snipes at each other in front of all the students) still makes me laugh.

• Page

of 66 First / Last