The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread.

• Page

of 66 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 4 Aug 2006 16:17:29 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know ilmaestro kinda did this the other day, but I just got back from my local and thought I'd come on here and rah rah on comics for a bit. If you have just seen Superman Returns or are still excited from Batman, or you can't wait for Spiderman 3, or Xmen 3 was so lame that you need your faith restored - and you were considering getting into comics, then now couldn't be a better time to start.

Big things going on in both Marvel and DC, can't really speak for Marvel, but all the post Crisis stuff in DC is a pretty good place to start. Even better, Brad Meltzer (crime writer and excellent writer of comics) is now writing the new run of JLA, I just picked up issue zero, and it ain't half bad.

That's not even getting started on the ludicrous amount of wicked stuff coming out of Image at the moment. I'm not so up on Indie stuff really, I just pick up what I like the look of, but I'm sure there is a resident expert.

So do it, go buy comics, read them, love them. Joy.
  • Universal_Hamster 4 Aug 2006 16:29:51 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DMZ ftw, I beleive.
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 16:30:54 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd actually say around 1985 was a great time to get into comics, tbh. Well, Batman anyway.
  • Kay 4 Aug 2006 16:32:59 17,894 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I recently found out that there is going to be a Spidergirl, comeplete with her own comic and maybe even a film. Surely that's not good news?

K

Edited by Kay at 16:33:18 04-08-2006
  • twinbee 4 Aug 2006 16:53:16 442 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I recently found out that there is going to be a Spidergirl, comeplete with her own comic and maybe even a film. Surely that's not good news?

That comic is a relaunch. It's highly unlikely that there be a film version, as I think it's just a cheap publicity stunt.

Spider-girl went for 100 issues and is a very good read. The story is fairly self contained too.

It deals with an alternate future where the Parkers got baby May back, she grew up, got powers, yadda yadda.
  • Universal_Hamster 4 Aug 2006 16:57:21 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As far as I can see, comics are just getting better and better. The writers just seem to have alot more ability these days.
    I mean, I recently read the first ever issue of Spiderman, (on the Marvel site) and it was so bad I thought I would piss, shit and cry blood all at once.
    Compare that to the first issue of, say, Ultimate Spiderman, and its like a baby fighting a rhino.
    I dont mean to be disrespectful of the classics and what they achieved, but comics are just so much more grown-up these days.

Ker-Pow!
  • GuiltySpark 4 Aug 2006 16:59:11 6,387 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "but all the post Crisis stuff in DC is a pretty good place to start."

This may be a stupid question but is it really a good place to start? Would someone with absolutly screw all back knowledge on any DC characters understand any of it???

Get bent.

• kalel 4 Aug 2006 17:00:43 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Golden age is piss but silver and bronze rocks. There's more then one type of old comic. I do like modern comics though, unlike most 'classic fans' I know.
  • kalel 4 Aug 2006 17:01:42 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    "but all the post Crisis stuff in DC is a pretty good place to start."

This may be a stupid question but is it really a good place to start? Would someone with absolutly screw all back knowledge on any DC characters understand any of it???

Better than usual though. The reason being as its been a bit of a slate wiping affair, and all the current stories are new arcs mostly. Some wiki reading up might be a good idea though.
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 17:02:52 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't mind the 'modern' stuff as in, 90's onwards. But the eighties were very, very dark and it suited Batman immensely. It's also the Frank Miller era and DKR and Year One still surpass almost everything I've read since. Batman or no Batman.
  • kalel 4 Aug 2006 17:18:39 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Year one is most definitly modern, not bronze age. I think it's considered the start of the modern age in fact. Pre crisis Batman was not that dark afaik, it was quite camp I think. 'Modern' is basically 86 onwards. Anything post crisis.
  • djchump 4 Aug 2006 17:20:06 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW - what's this "Crisis" thing all about? I've always hated the whole "summer crossover" events where they try to force you to buy shitloads of other comics to try and keep up with the storyline.

Is "Crisis" any good and will there be a collected book of the most important bits?
    Cheers!
  • djchump 4 Aug 2006 17:21:27 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Better than usual though. The reason being as its been a bit of a slate wiping affair, and all the current stories are new arcs mostly. Some wiki reading up might be a good idea though.
    Aha! Soz, I'd forgotten about Wikis and that - they're probably the best way for me to find out/keep track of what's going on with this thing.
  • kalel 4 Aug 2006 17:26:52 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    djchump wrote:
    BTW - what's this "Crisis" thing all about? I've always hated the whole "summer crossover" events where they try to force you to buy shitloads of other comics to try and keep up with the storyline.

Is "Crisis" any good and will there be a collected book of the most important bits?
    Cheers!

In 1986 there was a MASSIVE story in DC called The Crisis on Infinite Earths, that effectively ended the DC universe and started it again. It's seen as an incredibly important event and when talking about most DC charachters and stories you need to specify pre or post Crisis, as they are so different.

Just recently there was a quite big but not as big follow up to that story called the Infinite Crisis, which was also a bit of a slate wiping exercise. They are currently in the aftermath.
  • djchump 4 Aug 2006 17:32:37 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    djchump wrote:

Cheers!

In 1986 there was a MASSIVE story in DC called The Crisis on Infinite Earths, that effectively ended the DC universe and started it again. It's seen as an incredibly important event and when talking about most DC charachters and stories you need to specify pre or post Crisis, as they are so different.

Just recently there was a quite big but not as big follow up to that story called the Infinite Crisis, which was also a bit of a slate wiping exercise. They are currently in the aftermath.
    Cheers dude - I might see if they did a collection of the Infinite Earths thing as it sounds like a pretty big thing then
  • kalel 4 Aug 2006 17:35:10 87,752 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a couple of editions of the first Crisis availble (normal and uber-delux) but I wouldn't bother. It's the most convoluted complicated ridiculous thing ever. Just read the wiki article on it, you might as well, it makes a lot more sence than the comics did.

They wiped the slate clean for a good reason, the DC Universe pre-crisis was an absolute joke.
  • djchump 4 Aug 2006 17:37:21 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah okay - fair play. I did hear the DC universe was all convoluted with "alternate world" storylines and stuff like that before the crisis, prompting the clean up. I'll hit wikipedia and read the super-condensed version :-)
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 17:57:59 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just realised I need another 15 or comics to complete 'Knightfall' :( I've got 90% of KnightsEnd/Quest but Knightfall is the earlier arc so I've still got a stack of comics to eventually read when I can offord 30 on comics.

• ilmaestro 4 Aug 2006 18:46:57 32,456 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /is pleased he has chosen a good time to get into comics.

• Lex_Luthor 4 Aug 2006 19:37:02 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the recent 'Infinite Crisis' story was a bit of a let down myself. It had a lot of promise from all the build up they'd laid down for it in the past year, but the final story was just somehow very unsatisfying. I know they copped out of at least one major plot point during the story, and some of the character deaths were just so "And I should care why?", but that might just be me. Didn't think much of the whole thing really.

The post Crisis stuff has been pretty good from what I've seen so far though, especially the Batman books. Morrison's run is shaping up nicely from the first issue at least(Revisiting a Batman story I thought would never be picked up on again), and Dini's more 'traditional' approach seems okay from the latest issue of Detective. Really enjoying 52 as well, it's a bit of an 'iffy' idea to me('Real time' comic taking place over 52 weeks), but it's so well put together and entertaining I can't really complain.

Oh, and getting away from superhero stuff, I'd strongly advise anyone who likes comics to try out the Dark Horse Conan series. It is, without doubt, my favourite book right now.
  • Khanivor 4 Aug 2006 19:41:13 40,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /looks at Ghost Rider collection

/crosses fingers

/googles Cage's address just in case
  • Derblington 4 Aug 2006 19:47:52 21,640 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally, I think any time is a good time to get into comics, but I do agree that the writers especially are becoming uber talented more and more across the board. Unfortunately good artists are still few and far between. Also, for the most part, Marvel and DC are both rubbish but they have their moments, normally in their various alter-ego imprint books (Knights, Elseworlds, etc). Darkhorse is getting better and better and the newer, non superhero style, Image books are going the same.

It's still a good, and nicely unique, medium - unfortunately still with a huge misunderstanding around it's focus in both content and it's target audience. Hopefully it will go from strength to strength.
  • Retroid Moderator 4 Aug 2006 19:50:50 44,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never been into the superhero comics, but was a big fan of manga, small press and Vertigo for a while.

Haven't read any for ages though....
  • Khab 4 Aug 2006 20:04:27 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Invincible.

Y - the Last Man.

The Walking Dead.

'nuff said.
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:04:48 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:

The post Crisis stuff has been pretty good from what I've seen so far though, especially the Batman books. Morrison's run is shaping up nicely from the first issue at least(Revisiting a Batman story I thought would never be picked up on again)

You mean Year One later?

Edited by morriss at 21:07:26 04-08-2006
  • Lex_Luthor 4 Aug 2006 21:11:25 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, a very underrated graphic novel called Son of the Demon. It was apparently widely held as an 'Elseworlds' story (Despite not being labelled as such) since it was printed way back(I think in the early 90s/late 80s) given how it ended. I for one am glad to see it finally be acknowledged properly in the main continuity at last.
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:34:53 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Nah, a very underrated graphic novel called Son of the Demon. It was apparently widely held as an 'Elseworlds' story (Despite not being labelled as such) since it was printed way back(I think in the early 90s/late 80s) given how it ended. I for one am glad to see it finally be acknowledged properly in the main continuity at last.

I've got that. I still don't follow though.
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:36:48 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah! Maybe it's because my issue 655 hasn't come through the post yet....
  • Lex_Luthor 4 Aug 2006 21:40:17 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Lex_Luthor wrote:

I've got that. I still don't follow though.

You remember how that story ended, yeah?

***Spoilers follow***

Talia Al Ghul had Batman's child after letting him think she'd lost the baby, then seemed to give the kid to a foster family.

Morrison said that his first arc on Batman would follow up on this story, which sort of fits with what seemed to be going on in his first issue.

Edited by Lex_Luthor at 21:40:34 04-08-2006
  • morriss 4 Aug 2006 21:41:22 71,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last

Previous