Soul Calibur 2 Thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Sep 2003 21:16:53 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arggggggggg me soul still burns arrrrrrgh it does!

Anyway...

In anticipation of the on coming SC2 discussions i have taken the liberty of creating a thread which shall contain all the soul burning you require.

Tu Vous drais on review pour la Soul Calibur 2, well then here you go, its from (gah) gamesradar.com and its of the ninty gamecube version...

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?subsectionid=168&articleid=65935&pagetype=2

They say 92%..

Oh and for you curious folk who are wondering why a student isnt in a pub at this time, all i have to say is, WHY the FU*K does sussex uni start so late all me fellow drinkers have gone off to there foul drinking spots (universities) around the country or indeed the globe and me is left to write this.

Now thats what i call going off on a tangent!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Pirotic Moderator 19 Sep 2003 23:03:05 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dont want to piss on your bonfire, but the PAL version has had its AI 'tweaked' to make the CPU into a constantly blocking lame-ass, because they changed the Weapon Master mode to make it easier for the US then couldn't be arsed to "undo" the changes for our release.
  • binky Moderator 20 Sep 2003 00:49:16 9,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ive been playing it at home on xbox this week, and i must say the ai in one player is fairly inconsistent.

fighters are 2 player affairs tho, lets be fair!
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Sep 2003 00:53:15 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    arggggggggh me getting angry that they screw with such a wonderful game...(checks time) only 20 more mins of this pirate nonsense!

Oh and pirotic your dicks gonna burn if my bonfires too hot
    :p

ah ha a new slogan for soul calibur

My dick still burns errrrrrrm maybe not

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 23:54:56 19-09-2003

• Khab 20 Sep 2003 03:13:38 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Anyway...

In anticipation of the on coming SC2 discussions i have taken the liberty of creating a thread which shall contain all the soul burning you require.

*snip*

*cough* *hack*.

/couldn't resist/
  • Gurgy 20 Sep 2003 09:16:13 2,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any of you guys with the import version managed to unlock all of the 85 extras yet (well allowing for the ones you can't get in the import that is) ?

I think I've still got one to go and would like to compare notes. Careful not to post spoilers for the Pal brigade though. Poor souls !
  • binky Moderator 20 Sep 2003 11:16:52 9,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mines not an import version :p
  • Gurgy 20 Sep 2003 11:43:47 2,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And how are you getting on with the unlock's then Binky ?
  • binky Moderator 20 Sep 2003 12:03:05 9,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just unlocked extra practice mode LOL.

only just pressed GO on the story mode. will have a crack at it this weekend.
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Sep 2003 13:33:29 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khab wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Anyway...

*snip*

*cough* *hack*.

/couldn't resist/

But those are various SC2 threads this is a general one :p

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Sep 2003 21:09:15 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And how long does that take then ahab ?

• WoodenSpoon 19 Oct 2003 22:36:01 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im feeling the need to revive this thread.

After my memory card kindly decided to wipe SCII completely from itself i've started again at weapon master, mainly using Kilik (and reverting back to Nightmare very occasionally when the going gets tough).

I've done everything except the evil one in Mizar (i think), its called (..once again i think) something like Monrope Monastry.

The one where you have to knock everyone out of the ring in a tight time limit.

So how did everyone get past it?
    With whom etc...

Is anyone still stuck there?

• WoodenSpoon 19 Oct 2003 22:41:04 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dumb luck eh?

Being unlucky that seems just my luck..
    Well nevermind,

Try and try again....
  • BartonFink 20 Oct 2003 00:55:24 35,007 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    After my memory card kindly decided to wipe SCII completely from itself i've started again at weapon master, mainly using Kilik (and reverting back to Nightmare very occasionally when the going gets tough).
    Ah the joys of memory cards. /strokes Xbox.
  • BartonFink 20 Oct 2003 01:00:30 35,007 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally managed to get a go of the GC version of SCII playing with Link. First off the controls take a bit of getting used to. The analogue stick is fine but the buttons are another matter. However got used to it after a few goes. Link ain't too shabby at all and the ability to throw bombs, shoot arrows, and throw the boomerang are nice additions to the game. I still think Link looks out of place with the rest of the characters.
  • striker 23 Oct 2003 10:22:43 2,603 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just a quick question: I tried the Xbox version for a few moments and I'm considering buying this for my GC.

but: The Xbox pad has more buttons than the GC one, doesn't it? Not to mention the PS2 pad... So? How is it played?
  • shinomori1986 23 Oct 2003 10:35:03 11 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hmmm.. whenever I play against Astaroth an image of Arnold Swarzenegger...for some wierd obscure reason...comes to mind.... Arnold with a big axe declaring, "I will slash the Ca-li-for-nia tax deficit!".... *sighs* the joys of being Californian...
  • Killerbee 22 Jan 2004 16:51:02 5,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bit late to the party for this one I know, but I just picked up the Cube version cheap on Monday.

Seems pretty good so far. Only problem is I'm just a bit bewildered by the sheer number of moves available that all seem to differ for each character. The Practice mode is moderately helpful, but I can't see myself ever beeing able to learn it all... Any special moves I do seem to be just fluked. Also I find the way that multiple button presses are mapped to the four directions of the C-stick a bit confusing.

I assume it gets easier with practice?

Anyway, I've manged to complete the Arcade mode once on Normal difficulty (with Link) and done a bit of messing about with some other stuff. Will start the Weapon Master mode thing properly next time I play.

Cube controller feels pretty good - no worries using the analogue stick because the notches the Cube controller has seem to help with direction accuracy. Only annoying thing is the way that "B" in the manual and game translates to the "Y" button (and "K" to "X" and "G" to "B") messes with my head.

First impressions are generally positive and I've not played a fighter since Mortal Kombat III as they're not usually my thing. The sheer range of things to unlock has a lot more appeal to the kleptomaniac RPG gamer in me though. :)
  • WoodenSpoon 22 Jan 2004 16:56:29 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It gets easier with time,
    I wouldn't have thought that you would be using all of the moves, most likely you will find a few that work for you, and use them alot.

But like you said, the more you play the better you get, and you will pick it up in time.
  • FWB 22 Jan 2004 17:06:06 44,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:

Liar. Its damn right impossible, especially for someone like me who sucks at consoles. I have to resort to annoying the person I'm playing by pulling on their joypad.
  • WoodenSpoon 22 Jan 2004 17:10:46 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh!

Well...Maybe it gets easier for some* people

*The ones that aren't retarded. :p
  • oddheadshape 22 Jan 2004 17:10:51 953 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i just picked this up myself. shame that there isnt much change from the dreamcast version, im getting deja vu all the time.
  • Shivoa 22 Jan 2004 17:13:44 5,677 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    > I have to resort to annoying the person I'm playing by pulling on their joypad.

You know there are a few characters who can be mastered simply by pressing buttons very, very quickly and randomly wiggling the thumbstick, kinda like you were having a seizure or something. At least that's the only way I found to complete with vastly more experienced players.
  • Killerbee 22 Jan 2004 17:14:32 5,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought that you would be using all of the moves, most likely you will find a few that work for you, and use them alot.

But like you said, the more you play the better you get, and you will pick it up in time.

My past experience with MKIII was that in playing through an arcade mode game, the CPU gradually learnt your playing style and responded accordingly, basically forcing you to change characters or your play in order to win. I was never any good at this, so didn't really like the single player game.

SCII obviously has a lot more going for it in terms of single player game ideas, but so far I like the fighting style and AI a lot better than MKIII.
  • WoodenSpoon 22 Jan 2004 17:20:31 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never played MK so I cant really compare.
    Shivoa is right though, just mash the pad with Talim and you should do pretty well.

Now Virtua Fighter, that takes skill!
  • mal 22 Jan 2004 18:15:21 22,710 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    The Practice mode is moderately helpful, but I can't see myself ever beeing able to learn it all... Any special moves I do seem to be just fluked. Also I find the way that multiple button presses are mapped to the four directions of the C-stick a bit confusing.
    Training modes in fighters are generally pretty dire. VF4 does the best job, but it's still pretty primitive. The best way to learn fighters, like football games, is two-player.

I'd advise avoiding the c-stick entirely unless you find you need to use it to get a particular move. It's just too much complexity for not enough gain.

Cube controller feels pretty good - no worries using the analogue stick because the notches the Cube controller has seem to help with direction accuracy. Only annoying thing is the way that "B" in the manual and game translates to the "Y" button (and "K" to "X" and "G" to "B") messes with my head.
    That's the standard in fight game manuals. Since I almost invariable redefine the controls on every fighter I've bought since VF3tb, this suits me fine. Just read 'K' as kick and 'G' as 'Guard'. Not sure what 'B' is, unless it's a misspelled 'P' (Punch). By the time you've played a couple of bouts it'll be second nature what button is kick and what is guard.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• WoodenSpoon 22 Jan 2004 19:24:15 12,291 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What Ahab said, however I feel that combos have a much smaller part in SC then in most other Fighters.

However that is probably just because I never bothered to learn any of them...
  • Killerbee 23 Jan 2004 09:56:50 5,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    Only annoying thing is the way that "B" in the manual and game translates to the "Y" button (and "K" to "X" and "G" to "B") messes with my head.
    That's the standard in fight game manuals. Since I almost invariable redefine the controls on every fighter I've bought since VF3tb, this suits me fine. Just read 'K' as kick and 'G' as 'Guard'. Not sure what 'B' is, unless it's a misspelled 'P' (Punch). By the time you've played a couple of bouts it'll be second nature what button is kick and what is guard.
    I think I'm getting the hang of it now, just experimenting with different combinations of buttons, holding, tapping and everything. As long as I don't think about what buttons I'm pressing it does feel sort of natural to guard with R and attack with A, X and Y. There's maybe a bit too much button mashing still going on, but hopefully I'll grow out of that. :)
  • Steve_Perry 11 Oct 2013 10:55:03 4,572 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apologies for the thread necro (I couldn't find a thread for it in the forum search), just interested to see if anyone is getting the HD XBLA/PSN versions?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous