All Couriers Must Die Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Stickman 13 Jul 2006 14:20:11 29,394 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that's bright then! I can live without a bank statement or gas bill until I get home, but I'd rather get a package delivered when I'm actually there.

Why can't they just swap them round?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Ste 13 Jul 2006 14:33:08 116 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These guys are quite handy if you are in Manchester City center, plus they bring food, booze and cigs. What more could you want.
  • zErOb_cOOl 13 Jul 2006 14:56:09 3,237 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the main problem with courier services (and a lot of services really) is their working hours. They are exactly the same as everybody else's who works!

Now some people, like myself, are lucky enough that they can have things delivered to their work, but those of us who aren't have a problem, as they miss their delivery all week, no matter how many days its delivered to their house, so they are forced to drive miles to the depot to pick up their package, kinda defeating the purpose of a courier service.

But its not just courier services. I am currently moving house, and Telewest had to come round to pick up my digibox and broadband modem, but they don't pick up at weekends, and I'm at work all week. It left me no other option but to take the morning off work. However, the one guy who picks equipment in the area (Steve) was busy that morning, so they had to make the pick up in the afternoon. So because Steve was a bit busy, I had to take another half day off work. I was threatened with a 250 fine if I didn't return the stuff 48 hours after I was cut off too, so I also had no choice.....but time off work simply isn't an option for some people!! The whole situation is outrageous.

I simply think courier services, and a lot of other services like Telewest, even fecking shops, should change their opening hours, or at least put on extra evening staff (ok some shops do already). It really is needed for a society that works the longest hours in Europe (that should be my catchphrase) and a population that seem increasingly overworked at a rate that shows no sign of decreasing.

Oh my god, I've wrote an essay.
  • DodgyPast 13 Jul 2006 15:23:05 8,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    I simply think courier services, and a lot of other services like Telewest, even fecking shops, should change their opening hours, or at least put on extra evening staff (ok some shops do already). It really is needed for a society that works the longest hours in Europe (that should be my catchphrase) and a population that seem increasingly overworked at a rate that shows no sign of decreasing.

God I remember this cr*p.

็Had both my cable and my ADSL delivered and installed in the evening.

Of course it's one nice thing of living in an appartment building, when they deliver anything and your out sevurity will look after it till you get home.

Most of the rest of the world operates like this, but for some reason the UK doesn't.

Of course it does have an upside....

Before the days of online tracking blaming a courier for messing up was a great way to cover up the fact you hadn't managed to get stock of something you sold on the condition of a specific delivery date.
    We had lots of quality bullshit stories in my office and we'd roll a die to decide which one to use.
  • Messiac 17 Jul 2006 12:02:12 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    I think the main problem with courier services (and a lot of services really) is their working hours. They are exactly the same as everybody else's who works!

Now some people, like myself, are lucky enough that they can have things delivered to their work, but those of us who aren't have a problem, as they miss their delivery all week, no matter how many days its delivered to their house, so they are forced to drive miles to the depot to pick up their package, kinda defeating the purpose of a courier service.

But its not just courier services. I am currently moving house, and Telewest had to come round to pick up my digibox and broadband modem, but they don't pick up at weekends, and I'm at work all week. It left me no other option but to take the morning off work. However, the one guy who picks equipment in the area (Steve) was busy that morning, so they had to make the pick up in the afternoon. So because Steve was a bit busy, I had to take another half day off work. I was threatened with a 250 fine if I didn't return the stuff 48 hours after I was cut off too, so I also had no choice.....but time off work simply isn't an option for some people!! The whole situation is outrageous.

Sometimes an essay is needed. I have been assured that my PC will now arrive this Friday. When I phoned this morning they hadnt yet received it back from the wrong delivery address but said that they were expecting it today.

I so annoyed with the whole thing and now have another week of stressing about if someone can read or not. If they mess up this time, the next van of theirs that drives through my area will never leave, ever.

Edited by Messiac at 12:01:49 17-07-2006
  • The.Kimbers 17 Jul 2006 13:42:41 1,004 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh.....!..

• DaM 17 Jul 2006 13:52:08 12,603 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:

Not when they are delivering stuff to businesses! I have had customers complain that they haven't received their goods, I check the tracking and find that the courier tried to deliver to an office at 6.30pm on a Friday....

To be fair, I speak to the DHL, Fedex, UPS and ParcelForce drivers we get, they all seem quite overworked. They keep getting given even more stuff to deliver in the same time, and they all talk about getting out to do something less stressful!
  • Xensor 17 Jul 2006 14:17:49 1,051 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some horror stories to relate:

I live in a small block of flats which has one communal entrance that opens onto a flight of stairs. Being the ONLY fire exit it has to stay clear at all times. I ordered a widescreen telly that got delivered by Amtrak. One blokey jumps out and asks me to give him a hand. Fine i do and we carry it up to the entrance where he unceremoniusly drops it, tells me carrying up the flight of stairs is more than his jobs worth and promptly fucks off, ignoring my shocked arguments that its blocking the only fire escape. Cue me spend half an hour pushing the box that barely fits on the staircase up to the first landing to get it out the way!

I ordered a new monitor and paid 20 for a saturday delivery guaranteed between 9am-12pm by Initial Shittylink - actually this was on the day of the first england match in the world cup. Up at 8.30am, staring out the window until gone 1pm and the fuckers never showed forcing to book the monday off annual leave for a fucking redelivery!

In both cases i got my delivery charge refunded :)
  • Twinkle 17 Jul 2006 14:39:07 542 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I ordered a telly a few months ago and wasn't happy when I realised it was going to be delivered by City Link. I paid extra for Saturday delivery, and guess what, they attempt delivery the next working day (Thursday).

Cue me trying to sort out a re-delivery for Saturday, but according to City Link they didn't know it was for a Saturday so I'd have to get permission from the company I bought the telly from to get it delivered on Saturday. So I rung the company & told them to send City Link an email confirming that, and I ring City Link & tell them to expect an email.

Then later in the afternoon I get a phonecall from home saying that the telly has now arrived, the driver had decided to try delivering it again before taking it to the depot, so then I had to ring the telly company and City Link again to tell them it had arrived and get a refund for the Saturday delivery.

Edited by Twinkle at 14:38:50 17-07-2006
  • Fozzie_bear 17 Jul 2006 14:40:12 15,310 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't speak for couriers generally, but I think the problem with City Link is that they're a pack of hopeless twats.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• zErOb_cOOl 17 Jul 2006 15:01:08 3,237 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:

Not when they are delivering stuff to businesses! I have had customers complain that they haven't received their goods, I check the tracking and find that the courier tried to deliver to an office at 6.30pm on a Friday....

To be fair, I speak to the DHL, Fedex, UPS and ParcelForce drivers we get, they all seem quite overworked. They keep getting given even more stuff to deliver in the same time, and they all talk about getting out to do something less stressful!
    Workers being overworked is really an issue with the management of the business, and the quantity of work they take on.

My point is simply that if 15% of parcels were delivered during the day, when 15% of the population are actually in their house (that was a guess-timation) and the other 85% after 5:30pm, more people would get their parcels first time, there would be less re-deliveries, and less workload for the couriers!

Of course this totally relies on workers agreeing to work evenings.
  • zErOb_cOOl 17 Jul 2006 15:26:22 3,237 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Can't speak for couriers generally, but I think the problem with City Link is that they're a pack of hopeless twats.
    Yes, in general it seems that:

Businesses love City Link because they're cheap.

Customers have to put up with whatever courier service the business they have ordered from chooses (City Link.)

City Link take on too much work.

City Link's eventual customers (us people who order) end up disappointed.

The business you have ordered from aren't affected.

City Link still take all their service charges, even though they can't meet demand, and become even richer.

It's simple. People ordering goods from businesses who use bad courier services are the only losers in this game. I'm tired of businesses operating like this, hiding behind call centre staff, hiding behind legislation, procedure and loopholes in the law, hiding behind courier services, and apssing any problem to the customer, where the customer is on the losing side from the start.
  • caligari 31 Jul 2012 17:04:48 16,832 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know whether to be more peeved with Yodel, or the moron who packed my parcel.

I bought an Ercol footstool via eBay - the guy was really friendly, and offered to pack it up etc and send it via courier, even though I wasn't too sure about it getting to me in one piece.

Low and behold, it was dropped off at my neighbour's place today, with a leg snapped clean off.

I've put in a compensation claim via Parcel2Go, but I can understand if they turn around and say that it was a moronic thing to post - and that wrapping a few jiffy bags around each leg is not suitable protection.
  • gang_of_bitches 31 Jul 2012 17:13:11 4,931 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a very shady experience with Yodel last week;

Housemate was expecting a delivery so I was in, in a room right above the front door. Just before 9AM heard something small coming through the door. Was too early for post so didn't rush down straight away and assumed it was just junk mail. I did go down less than 5 minutes later only to discover a failed delivery card from Yodel. There was absolutely no way I wouldn't have heard the doorbell or a knock at the door. I called the number straight away to see if they could get the driver back and was told that they had a record of it having being left in the porch. First we don't have a porch and second it wasn't there. Asked them to call back to clarify and nothing happened until the next day when the supposedly already delivered parcel was delivered.

I can only imagine the driver was a thieving twat.
  • spamdangled 31 Jul 2012 17:17:28 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In my experience, the worst couriers of the lot are fucking DPD. Utterly useless dickheads who like to just card the door without ringing the doorbell, or just leave shit in a communal hallway without even bothering to get a signature, and make you jump through stupid hoops to try and arrange a redelivery... only to then just card you again.

Royal Mail aren't much better.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• gang_of_bitches 31 Jul 2012 17:28:42 4,931 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It just boggles the mind. Surely drivers should be insentivised to make the delivery first time, yet as you say it clearly makes sense for them not to even bother trying to deliver.
  • spamdangled 31 Jul 2012 18:00:25 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it comes from the fact that they work to targets - they need to make X amount of deliveries per hour (there was a panorama last year that exposed this in Royal Mail, the same could easily apply to other companies). So it is easier (read: quicker) for them to meet their targets if they just card you (or dump it in a hallway or on the doorstep) instead of waiting for you to answer the door and wait for you to sign for it.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 31 Jul 2012 18:01:46 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DPD are why I no longer use Play.com and have gone back to Amazon for non-game stuff.

• nickthegun 31 Jul 2012 18:08:17 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    It just boggles the mind. Surely drivers should be insentivised to make the delivery first time, yet as you say it clearly makes sense for them not to even bother trying to deliver.
    They are by workload. You get, for example, 20 drops to do in a day and get paid per drop. You get paid once per drop so there is literally no way you would fake a delivery on purpose because you are costing yourself time and money.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Load_2.0 31 Jul 2012 18:18:01 18,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yodel are without exception the worst couriers ever.

They simply lie to your face about delivery.
  • Megapocalypse 31 Jul 2012 18:34:27 5,228 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't stand Yodel. Last two experiences; parcel left with 'neighbour' (7/8 doors down) and not recorded which house they left it at correctly, and then parcel left in bin room (150 monitor) but didn't leave any note. It sat there for over a day before I found it and that was only due to putting the bins out.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2012 19:02:15
    Biggest problem is that too many of the couriers are now totally at the mercy of various online retailers for too much of their business. The same online retailers slashing each other to bits to try and keep delivery costs next to non-existent despite the fact that everything associated with deliveries is going up; packing materials, petrol, maintenance etc

Royal Mail and Parcelforce operated at a massive loss last financial year. I do not imagine that the business to customer side of most couriers are doing much more than floating or being bouyed up by business to business.

Leaving most courier companies to try hire people who want to drive around all day on the UK's roads, be bollocked if they have an accident, and attempt to delivery various items to a time limit to a myriad of addresses all with numerous access methods. WTF would anyone WANT to do it who can work in any other minimum wage job eh?

My personal experience currently stands that only UPS International are yet to screw me over when it comes to delivery.
  • caligari 14 Aug 2012 12:09:24 16,832 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I don't know whether to be more peeved with Yodel, or the moron who packed my parcel.

I bought an Ercol footstool via eBay - the guy was really friendly, and offered to pack it up etc and send it via courier, even though I wasn't too sure about it getting to me in one piece.

Low and behold, it was dropped off at my neighbour's place today, with a leg snapped clean off.

I've put in a compensation claim via Parcel2Go, but I can understand if they turn around and say that it was a moronic thing to post - and that wrapping a few jiffy bags around each leg is not suitable protection.
    Well, after a fairly long wait, I have to say that I'm very impressed with Parcel2Go's service.

They've 'approved' my case, and offered me a full refund via a cheque, or Pre Pay (no idea what that is).

The moral of the story? Don't buy footstools online, kids.
  • President_Weasel 14 Aug 2012 12:25:59 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Yodel are without exception the worst couriers ever.

They simply lie to your face about delivery.
    City Link did that to me too. They lied about coming round and leaving the note with the lie about trying to deliver my item. This was maybe 3 or 4 years ago but I am never using the fuckers again.

I mean, don't bother trying to deliver my item. Fair enough, we expect that from couriers. But at least turn up and put a lying note through my door that pretends you tried - make the effort, for god's sake.
    Points for bare faced lying about it when I phoned their customer 'service' though, at least someone was making an effort there.
  • skuzzbag 14 Aug 2012 12:30:51 5,482 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Came back home yesterday to find a huge box behind the hedge with a big hole in it. The box contained cat litter bags (which were ok) but also shoulfd have contained other cat related goods. The other goods were actually strewn about the path.

Quite shocking considering that my wife was in all day and in the front room.
  • THFourteen 14 Aug 2012 12:37:14 31,781 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agree, shocking behaviour.

if i were you i would have your wife beaten for not waiting at the door until the expected deliveries arrived
  • El_MUERkO 14 Aug 2012 13:13:02 16,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For games I don't get digitally I order 80% from Amazon & 20% from Shopto and always get them delivered by Royal Mail. Couriers have fucked up a lot of orders for me in the past.
  • faux_carnation 14 Aug 2012 17:13:43 8,463 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a delivery from Amazon via DPD this week. It was absolutely fucking amazing.

They texted me in advance to check what day I wanted it delivering, then again on the morning of the delivery to give me a one hour delivery window, and it turned up perfectly within the window.

If they can do it, why can't everyone else?

Waiting on a UPS delivery tomorrow. Online tracking is nice and specific so seems like this might have a happy ending too :-)
  • Zomoniac 16 Aug 2012 11:40:12 7,402 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As far as sending stuff goes, Parcel2Go are ace. Just ordered a collection this morning, chose the wrong day (tomorrow instead of this morning). Went to the Livechat on their help page, took less than 30 seconds from explaining to the girl on the other end for her to cancel it, rebook it and email me the new label. I always use them with the TNT next day service as it's a) the cheapest 24 hour and b) can book up to about midday for same day collection. Used them tons of times without any problems.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last