Settlers 2 Remake

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • Hicksy 7 Jul 2006 08:54:52 2,594 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So has anyone managed to play the demo yet? Is it as good as it looks? May try it myself this weekend as I LOVED S2 but as ususal there's so much to play and so little time... :o)
  • Hicksy 7 Jul 2006 13:03:23 2,594 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So not a single person has tried this successfully? o_O
  • Teeth 7 Jul 2006 13:04:35 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haven't had time yet. I'm gonna download it tonight, I expect. We're about to head out of work though so I can't do it now :(
  • Roccus 7 Jul 2006 13:06:55 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    its great just like the original version, but with up to date graphics.

    What they should have done in the first place tbh, instead of all those crappy sequals
  • Mho7276501 7 Jul 2006 13:14:35 383 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i really enjoyed it and i havent played any settlers games since the good ol' amiga days. So i am not a massive fan of the series.
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Jul 2006 14:13:23 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had a quick go, it is just like the original. Had to tweak the settings a bit to get the framerate acceptable. Also, don't alt-tab, it kills the application.

    IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

  • Deleted user 7 July 2006 14:15:02
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Had a quick go, it is just like the original. Had to tweak the settings a bit to get the framerate acceptable.

    What spec are you running?

    Also, don't alt-tab, it kills the application.

    ...crap. That's actually a no-buy for me then. I alt-tab out of pretty much everything. Windowed gaming FTW.
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Jul 2006 14:19:55 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does run in Windowed mode thankfully.


    A64 XP3000; 9600M 128MB; 1GB RAM

    It was the shadow rendering that was killing the framerate, you don't need a huge fps to 'view' the game but navigating is a chore with so little feedback. The great thing is the rendering changes in real-time as you tweak the settings.

    IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

  • Deleted user 7 July 2006 14:23:12
    Hm. I suppose my utterly puny 1.8 celeron won't handle this at all then. Shame. :(

    /plays original in Dosbox
  • symmetry 11 Jul 2006 15:51:26 508 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just thought I would revive this freshly dead thread to let you all know that there is a hack for the demo that removes the time limit. Don't know about you, but 90 minutes just isn't enough - on my first play I didn't even find the enemy in that time!

    So here it is, confirmed working and virus free by yours truly. (The time limit will still count down to 0 but then go into minus numbers).
  • Thornhillboy 21 Jul 2006 12:32:06 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My pc is too sucky to play this properly. I can just aout play it, but with all of the specs turned down. It then just looks silly.
  • Dragul 21 Jul 2006 12:43:15 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    huuum

    I have settlers 2 around some where... And I'm definetly going to get this one :D
  • Khab 21 Jul 2006 13:38:07 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    symmetry wrote:
    Just thought I would revive this freshly dead thread to let you all know that there is a hack for the demo that removes the time limit. Don't know about you, but 90 minutes just isn't enough - on my first play I didn't even find the enemy in that time!

    So here it is, confirmed working and virus free by yours truly. (The time limit will still count down to 0 but then go into minus numbers).

    Most excellent! I've gotten like 80 minutes in and I'm nowhere NEAR even finding the opposition...

    Settlers should be played slowly and deliberately. :)
  • Thornhillboy 21 Jul 2006 21:32:51 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Settlers should be played slowly and deliberately. :)

    Very much agree. Games like Command and Conquer confuse poor old me with its speed.
  • jonahka 24 Jul 2006 13:36:22 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very much looking forward to this new anniversary release of Settlers 2. Settlers 2 was better than 3 or 4.

    Can't play the demo though, I get the message
    D3DERR_INVALID CALL.

    Something to do with the graphics card? Any clues?

    Jonahka
  • Pirotic Moderator 24 Jul 2006 13:38:00 20,648 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What shader model does your graphics card support? I think it has to be 2.0+ for the demo to run.
  • Deleted user 24 July 2006 13:39:36
    So when is this actually out? The game I mean, not the demo.
  • Dragul 24 Jul 2006 14:09:24 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    What shader model does your graphics card support? I think it has to be 2.0+ for the demo to run.

    I have a X700 and it doesn't run the demo... :S
  • thegamesthething 24 Jul 2006 14:29:06 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonahka wrote:
    Very much looking forward to this new anniversary release of Settlers 2. Settlers 2 was better than 3 or 4.

    Can't play the demo though, I get the message
    D3DERR_INVALID CALL.

    Something to do with the graphics card? Any clues?

    Jonahka

    I had to reinstall directx to get it to run, having had a similar but not identical fault - i got "On run, d3dx9_29.dll was not found"

    might be worth a try
  • thegamesthething 24 Jul 2006 14:30:07 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi, last date I saw was September
  • jonahka 25 Jul 2006 17:08:08 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graphics card is a nvidia geforce4
    420. Due for an upgrade if I can find a website. The nvidia website is no help.

    Jonahka
  • Dragul 25 Jul 2006 17:14:32 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    jonahka wrote:
    Very much looking forward to this new anniversary release of Settlers 2. Settlers 2 was better than 3 or 4.

    Can't play the demo though, I get the message
    D3DERR_INVALID CALL.

    Something to do with the graphics card? Any clues?

    Jonahka

    I had to reinstall directx to get it to run, having had a similar but not identical fault - i got "On run, d3dx9_29.dll was not found"

    might be worth a try

    The demo is full of errors of this sort... jesus I can't play it with:

    X700 - 256MB
    1GB Ram
    80 GB HDD
    1.86GHZ Centrino

    WTF?! I can play Prey but I can't play settlers?!
  • Khab 25 Jul 2006 17:24:51 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh. Plays like a dream on my Athlon 64 w/ 1gig RAM and a Radeon 9700. :)
  • Dragul 25 Jul 2006 17:29:17 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khab wrote:
    Heh. Plays like a dream on my Athlon 64 w/ 1gig RAM and a Radeon 9700. :)

    Why... You dirty bas....

    /Is dragged out side by two gorilla type securite guards... ;)
  • Dragul 24 Aug 2007 16:56:35 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry for bumping this... But did anybody play the final version? How good was it?

    I just saw this one for 19 euros and I'm kind of interested...
  • magicpanda 24 Aug 2007 17:02:11 13,420 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks nice, but it's missing so many useful and downright necessary upgrades from settlers 3...

    No pigfarms, bakers, and a few other things. Just feels too basic imho.
  • Roccus 24 Aug 2007 17:21:00 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not played settlers 3, but the remake of 2 had pigfarms bakers and such.
  • Dragul 24 Aug 2007 17:32:42 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And how good as the remake?
  • Roccus 24 Aug 2007 17:34:54 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its settlers 2 with pretty graphics, i enjoyed it. Try the demo.
  • deepmenace 24 Aug 2007 18:24:20 420 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smiled ear to ear while just playing for 30 minutes.
    the music is even like some kinda remix of the original.

    da-da-da-da-da-da-da.

    then google sidebar started infecting the screen and it crashed.

    ran fine but juddered slightly at super zoom.

    1680x1050
    radeon 1950pro
    amd 64 3400 single core
  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply