Italian football scandal - Four involving clubs to be relegated?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Obscured 4 Jul 2006 13:01:16 1,187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ouch!
    Can you imagine the transfers possibilities if this goes through? If Juventus are to be stripped of their last two titles and AC Milan too are being punished who gets them instead? Inter Milan?
  • Kay 4 Jul 2006 13:06:42 17,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Old....trial started yesterday and they're hoping for a verdict by July 10.

K
  • thegamesthething 4 Jul 2006 13:10:12 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Obscured wrote:
    Ouch!
    Can you imagine the transfers possibilities if this goes through? If Juventus are to be stripped of their last two titles and AC Milan too are being punished who gets them instead? Inter Milan?

Perhaps they'll have an auction. In which case Chelsea won Serie A for the last 2 years
  • DoleScum 5 Jul 2006 01:55:14 573 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hey! who gets their CL spot ? Maybe they'll give it to spurs :p
  • deem 5 Jul 2006 07:45:38 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • FairgroundTown 5 Jul 2006 08:29:30 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deem wrote:
    [code]Meanwhile, former Juve midfielder Gianluca Pessotto - who is not implicated in the scandal - is recovering in hospital after falling from a second-floor window at the club's headquarters.[/code]

Bloody hell!
    Yer - why do I get this feeling that someone "helped" him out of that window?
  • Pike 5 Jul 2006 08:32:50 13,448 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    deem wrote:
    [code]Meanwhile, former Juve midfielder Gianluca Pessotto - who is not implicated in the scandal - is recovering in hospital after falling from a second-floor window at the club's headquarters.[/code]

Bloody hell!
    Yer - why do I get this feeling that someone "helped" him out of that window?

He "helped" himself, most likley. It seems, from what I've read, as if it was a suicide attempt.
  • Fat-Boy 5 Jul 2006 08:38:09 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    During ITV's coverage of last night's game, they said something along the lines of "The Italians dedicated their win against Ukraine to Gianluca Pessotto, who attempted suicide after the match fixing allegations came out."

First time I'd actually heard anyone from the media call it suicide, even though it was fairly obvious.
  • The-Old-Bill 5 Jul 2006 08:40:06 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Funny how many people develop psychic powers, eh?
  • Kay 5 Jul 2006 10:42:58 17,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not clear, but a lot of media seem to think that it was a suicide attempt because he was found with a rosary in his hand.

Still, he seems to be recovering now.

K
  • Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 01:54:52 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd take a Zambrotta please. Thanks.

And a Gattuso from Milan if they go down too :)

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• IMO 6 Jul 2006 01:56:39 5,572 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    I'd take a Zambrotta please. Thanks.

And a Gattuso from Milan if they go down too :)

Dibs on Kaka.
  • Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 01:58:20 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Gattuso is a must for Man U if he becomes available surely. He'd be absolutely perfect there. Plus I'd love seeing Ecanem squirm with him being there.

Is he not a fan?

Would love to see him in the centre alongside Carrick :)

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 02:06:02 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't he AC Milan too? Or is it Inter? If it's Milan then sod it - Gattuso and Pirlo please!

Does Ecanem prefer his footballers to be clean shaven then?

Edited by Fozzie_bear at 02:05:46 06-07-2006

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 02:07:41 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Otto = The World's Worst Marxist :)

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 02:16:52 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got my fingers crossed that the reason Utd haven't done anything in the transfer market yet is because they're waiting to see what happens in Italy.

Of course, it may just be that they've been frantically trying to buy midfielders for weeks now and that no bugger wants to join them :(

Pirlo or Gattuso would be great. The pair of them? Too much to even hope for.

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 02:20:15 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /hopes that Gattuso and Pirlo get married in a civil ceremony

/and have their hearts set on a nice little cottage in Cheshire

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2006 02:25:01 15,462 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sir Alex: I'll give you 10 million for Pirlo if you chuck in the hairy little fella too.

Juventus Manager: You want BOTH of our central midfielders?

Sir Aelx: Aye.

Juventus Manager: AAAAH! NO! *throws self out of window*

• azurelas_2 6 Jul 2006 23:10:35 1,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Viera back to Arsenal (and Kak, but he seems to be moving to Real Madrid)
  • White_Shadow 6 Jul 2006 23:18:07 2,536 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Sir Alex: I'll give you 10 million for Pirlo if you chuck in the hairy little fella too.

Juventus Manager: You want BOTH of our central midfielders?

Sir Aelx: Aye.

Juventus Manager: AAAAH! NO! *throws self out of window*

well I suppose that would work if either of them played for juventus :)
  • Dougs 7 Jul 2006 09:03:36 66,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Juve relegation looking increasingly likely....

In an extraordinary development in the Italian match-fixing hearing in Rome, the lawyer acting for Juventus said yesterday the club would accept relegation to Serie B next season as punishment, while Milan and Lazio claimed to have no case to answer.

Cesare Zaccone, who is defending Juve, told the judge, Cesare Ruperto: "The acceptable sanction would be that which has been proposed for the other clubs facing the same charges: Serie B with penalty points." He was gently reprimanded by Ruperto: "Don't say 'acceptable' - it sounds like you're bargaining with me."

Zaccone's observation came in response to the draconian punishments requested on Tuesday by Stefano Palazzi, the prosecutor for the Italian Football Federation. Palazzi had called for Juventus to be relegated to the third or fourth division, Serie C1 or C2, with six points deducted, for Fiorentina and Lazio to be sent down to the second division, Serie B, with 15 points deducted, and for Milan to be relegated to the second division with three points deducted. Final verdicts are expected between 20 and 27 July.

Surprise greeted Zaccone's statement. Antonio Di Pietro, a minister in Romano Prodi's government and a former magistrate who made his name during the "Clean Hands" corruption trials in 1992, said that to "pre-announce the acceptance of Serie B with points deducted is a clear admission of guilt".

Until Wednesday, the club had distanced itself from the activities of its former sporting director, Luciano Moggi, who is accused of setting up a network of referees who favoured the club in key matches. The dramatic change of strategy is probably dictated by the fear that relegation to the third or fourth division would bankrupt the club.

Juventus, who can expect an exodus of their best players, are Italy's richest club but are not bankrolled by the wealthy patrons, the Agnelli family, owners of Fiat motors. Around 80 per cent of the club's income comes from television-rights deals and sponsorship.

Juve earn 95m (66m) a season from Rupert Murdoch's Sky Italia pay-television company, have a 187.2m (130m) 12-year kit-supply deal with sports goods manufacturer Nike, and a 102m (71m), five-year sponsorship deal with Libyan oil firm Tamoil. Each deal would be renegotiated if relegation occurs. Going down to Serie B would lead to a significant, but sustainable, reduction in value, but being exiled to the wilderness of the third division would render the contracts virtually worthless.

Gian Michele Gentile, the lawyer for Lazio, said that the Rome club would not be following Juventus in suggesting an acceptable punishment. "We are innocent. We have nothing to admit."

Marco De Luca, a lawyer for Adriano Galliani, vice-president of six-times European champions Milan, conceded during the hearing that his client ought to have denounced what he knew of irregularities - but that was not an offence.
    [The Independent]

Edited by Dougs at 09:03:49 07-07-2006
  • Kay 7 Jul 2006 09:14:33 17,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's going to happen, I think Juve and most of the players themselves have accepted it.

P.S. I don't see Pirlo and Gattuso leaving Italy even if Milan do get relegated. As for Juve, Cannavaro and Del Piero should stay, but Buffon is certain to leave, as well as most of the foreigners.

K
  • kalel 7 Jul 2006 09:18:02 86,019 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah but how good are these players when the match isn't fixed??

Silly point and I'm only joking, but seriously, I think players like Ibrahimovich have big question marks over their integrity now. I don't know if I'd want him.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2006 09:24:52
    kalel wrote:
    Ah but how good are these players when the match isn't fixed??

Silly point and I'm only joking, but seriously, I think players like Ibrahimovich have big question marks over their integrity now. I don't know if I'd want him.

I think there's been a question over Ibrahimovich's ability for a while now. Certainly in my mind.
  • Kay 7 Jul 2006 09:25:38 17,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really the players fault though, was it? They just went out and did their job, it was suits who did all the fixing.

Also, I fully expect Ibrahimovic to get a cut-price move to England if Juve do go down. Come to think of it, he's likely to leave even if they don't.

K
  • kalel 7 Jul 2006 09:27:25 86,019 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not their 'fault' but it sounds like some of them were closely involved. And yeah, I think Zlatan might be very overated anyway. Just right for Chelsea really...who wants a bet?
  • Deleted user 7 July 2006 09:28:17
  • ssuellid 7 Jul 2006 09:29:55 19,141 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gattuso and Marcello Lippi rumoured to be going to Man U.
  • Kay 7 Jul 2006 09:32:01 17,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a feeling Ibrahimovic would join someone like Newcastle or Spurs actually.

And that Lippi to Man United rumour worries me...

K
  • kalel 7 Jul 2006 09:32:14 86,019 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg wrote:

You're on.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous