Things you don't miss from the olden days of gaming

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Jun 2006 09:27:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This week's lunchtime retro game has been Booty on the Speccy, which was (iirc) the official 'first ever budget game'.

Basically you run around a ship collecting treasure and avoiding pirates. It's a bit rubbish, but I can't stop playing it. Worse than it being a bit rubbish, however, is the fact that it is fundamentally flawed on many, many levels.

Like these:
    1. The collision detection is arse. Approach an object from the left and you collect it as soon as you touch it. Approach from the right and you don't collect it until you've walked through it.

2. Random beasties appear which you absolutely cannot avoid unless you just-so-happen to be in the right place.

3. When you die, you return to the first room - regardless of how far you have progressed.

4. If a pirate kills you in front of a door, you can never get through that door ever again because their positions don't reset when you die and they don't move when you're not in the room.

Classic examples of game design gone wrong, and (collision detection aside) things which we've left behind us.

8-bit games were great, but they were also rubbish. What else don't you miss from the olden days?
  • MetalDog 29 Jun 2006 09:29:23 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't miss the fact that many of them had no endings, they just became impossible.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Murbal 29 Jun 2006 09:29:45 21,920 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Firebird iirc, they had a hole load of appalling games (Booty was the only one my poclet money stretched to) in that initial range of titles. Run Baby Run was another... Awful.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2006 09:29:52 14,698 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't do retro games, I always find my memory of them exceeds the reality of playing them again. The only exceptions are games like Harpoon which don't have a modern equivalent.

Back on topic the one thing I don't miss is the constatnt reliance on hammering the fire button as fast as you can.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• MetalDog 29 Jun 2006 09:30:53 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't firebird publish the first Sentinal though? They got it right at least once =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ssuellid 29 Jun 2006 09:31:32 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Loading times, lack of saves, iffy saves, dodgy joystick adapter, iffy power adapters, lack of QA, copy protection systems - coloured paper, lenslock etc
  • Pike 29 Jun 2006 09:31:39 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really don't miss anything, except my higher tolerance for crap games. Modern games have spoiled me.
  • itamae 29 Jun 2006 09:32:54 9,858 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You forgot the most obvious thing: atrocious load times! Silent Service from tape anyone?

/waits 20 minutes
    /'click'

Noooooooo!
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Jun 2006 09:33:58 44,503 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Multiloads from tape :(

/Strokes 1541 drive
  • pjmaybe 29 Jun 2006 09:36:17 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    loading times. I seriously get fucking annoyed with people who carp on about the loading times on modern stuff. I know, most of 'em don't remember the "joys" of loading stuff in from tape to a BBC Micro only to have it throw a block error at you right at the last moment, but sheesh you are SPOILT these days.

The other thing I don't miss, the general shonkiness of some releases. Hell, you think you have bugs and tearing and other stuff now, back in the day you'd be lucky if a game didn't crash just as you reached the final screen. Bug testing just didn't exist.

Now you kids GET OFF MY LAWN! I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE AND WHO YOUR PARENTS ARE!

Peej
  • ssuellid 29 Jun 2006 09:36:48 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reminds me - that iffy Commodore floppy drive that took just as long as a Spectrum tape to load.
  • Load_2.0 29 Jun 2006 09:37:43 18,831 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't miss my incandescent rage, or launching Quickfire II joystick's toward the floor at mach 6.

/Glares at Airborne Ranger.
  • Murbal 29 Jun 2006 09:38:29 21,920 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Sherlock Holmes adventure on the Speccy came on a C15 tape, and took a full side - i.e. 7 and a half minutes - to load.

Only ever played it the once too.
  • ChocNut 29 Jun 2006 09:39:40 2,184 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup. Loading times were a nightmare in the old days. Flickering coloured screens of epilepsy that went on for eternity.

Joysticks that stopped working with minimal usage, the games that required another tape load to get to level two (meaning you had to reload the entire thing if you died), not to mention insanely elite level objectives.

The price of games was fantastic though.
  • itamae 29 Jun 2006 09:40:05 9,858 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Two more things I don't really miss: parents telling me that today's 'no computer' day and having to share the C64 with two brothers.
  • kcorb 29 Jun 2006 09:41:32 2,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't miss the annoying sound effects. And the same character for every game.
    /despises blocks
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2006 09:41:36 14,698 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The sound, those horrible beeps!

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Ginger 29 Jun 2006 09:42:17 6,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    I don't miss......

Colour clash!
    But that was used well on R-Type - I remember seeing the mass of colourful explosions on that - ah, fond memories

London open taekwondo champion

• PES_Fanboy 29 Jun 2006 09:42:33 13,297 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't miss a microswitch going on my joystick just as I was about to score a goal.

I don't miss the guilty feeling of returning from school with a bagful of snide disks (felt sure someone would break down my door at any point!).

I don't miss the loading times (but I do miss the squealy sounds the tape loading made).
  • ssuellid 29 Jun 2006 09:44:18 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shoddy leaf switches in joysticks which were then replaced by exceptionally loud microswitches. Joysticks that shattered in your hands leaving you to pick out plastic spinters from your hand.
  • pjmaybe 29 Jun 2006 09:46:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do miss my Cherno-ball. A huge suncom ball-like controller (not a trackball though, just a sort of ball-shaped thing that looked like the chernobyl power station - never EVER seen one anywhere since).

I don't miss those stupid quickshot IIs. They were useless for just about every game EXCEPT the microswitched ones were fantastic for track and field because you could just hold the base of the stick, and waggle the stick back and forth and get stupidly fast times

Peej
  • PES_Fanboy 29 Jun 2006 09:55:48 13,297 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I do miss my Cherno-ball. A huge suncom ball-like controller (not a trackball though, just a sort of ball-shaped thing that looked like the chernobyl power station - never EVER seen one anywhere since).

I don't miss those stupid quickshot IIs. They were useless for just about every game EXCEPT the microswitched ones were fantastic for track and field because you could just hold the base of the stick, and waggle the stick back and forth and get stupidly fast times

Peej

We used to hold the stick, upside down, and shake it back and forth, the weight of the base would mean it would go super fast.

I think I know why so many microswitches broke....
  • jellyhead 29 Jun 2006 10:02:32 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    reminds me - that iffy Commodore floppy drive that took just as long as a Spectrum tape to load.
    I think that was because it was a Serial drive, it had parallel capabilities but they were disabled.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 29 Jun 2006 10:04:08 10,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    copy protection systems
    Dunno why but I look back through rose-tinted specs on old copy protection systems (the pirate wheel in MI, the grail diary in Last Crusade, icons at the bottom corners of numbered pages). It was all so innocent back then... *sigh*
  • pjmaybe 29 Jun 2006 10:07:48 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lenslock ftw!!!

Never actually did figure that out. I used to love the old LucasArse "manual" protection. Just kept typing in "the" until it worked :)

Peej
  • kcorb 29 Jun 2006 10:08:06 2,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So innocent, and so easy.
    Just the way I like them.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2006 10:08:41
    These crazy sounds.

edit: I'm reliably informed Mastertronic had budget games out before Booty.

Edited by boabg at 10:10:40 29-06-2006
  • Teeth 29 Jun 2006 10:12:26 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Number 4 is a bug, rather than bad game design.
    Actually, so are 1 and 2 if I'm reading right.

Edited by Teeth at 10:12:24 29-06-2006
  • kcorb 29 Jun 2006 10:15:00 2,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    These crazy sounds.
    It made my dog cry. Me too.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous