KOTOR Thread

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • BartonFink 15 Sep 2003 02:08:40 34,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Since there seems to be about half a dozen or so threads at the moment related directly or indirectly to KOTOR I thought I would launch another one just for people to discuss the game.

So let the discussions begin......and please if ye can at all leave out the spoilers.

Well so far I have only had the chance to play the game for a couple of hours (felt like a few minutes) and so far it's thoroughly enjoyable.

One thing I am interested to find out is what everbody has chosen as their initial character. I have chosen the wimpy scout, good at a distance but the poor bast gets pummelled if you get too close to the enemy. Finding it better to snipe from a distance and use grenades when things get a little hectic.
  • BartonFink 15 Sep 2003 02:10:30 34,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With that I am off to Lanzarote for a week.

Happy postings guys see you in a week.
  • pjmaybe 15 Sep 2003 10:05:22 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Like a dumb-ass I chose "Female Scoundrel" - Er, not particularly a good choice because she keeps getting killed. It's not a bad game though, graphics aren't bad (weird animations for running/walking though!), it's not too taxing on the ole brain. I just need to get some more kick-ass weaponry though because even the little old man looking after the public toilets can kick my character's arse royally...

Oh, I called her Suki BapsWent btw. Not that you're interested...

Peej
  • Machiavel 15 Sep 2003 12:47:05 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Picked a female scout - and very useless at the moment she is too. Just reached the undercity - hope it gets a lot better real soon.
  • Nemesis 15 Sep 2003 12:50:40 18,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, this was my anniversary weekend so I didn't get a chance to see KOTOR. Got the new setup up and running, so finally get to load it tonight.

\o
    .|\=------

Zmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Rosalind 15 Sep 2003 13:19:56 59 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Managed to clock up 26 hours over the weekend. This game is fantastic. I'm on my 4th planet now so I'm going quite slowly I think.
  • Wretched-Chin 15 Sep 2003 13:30:01 742 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I thought it was Suki Bapsweat?

'Friad not matey. PJ's right. Tho Bapsweat is funnier in a kind of school-yard way ;)
  • Tiitiz 15 Sep 2003 13:54:34 1,128 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    This game truly rocks. I find it quite hard to actually stick with RPG games but this keep calling me back even if I lose a couple of hours play (/curses self for forgetting to save).

Only on the 2nd planet myslf but sooo looking forward to getting home to play it again

/sad ;)
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 14:05:47 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    finished it last night about 1am, only got it saturday :(
  • Rosalind 15 Sep 2003 14:08:15 59 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    how many hours? and was that including all/most of the side quests, or just the main game?
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Sep 2003 14:10:08 39,438 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pirotic its time to do the dark side or light side whicch ever you havent done.

As for me ive only clocked in 13 hours, im on that ocean world thingy looking for the first bit of the star map.

I am hoping however that i will finish the game before the 10 day return thing is up so that i ccan afford soul calibur 2, ah the life of a student is full of hard sacrifices!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• catterz 15 Sep 2003 14:52:39 8,763 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh the darkness. That's my playing angle! Mess with me and die... Or just die anyway so that I become the evilist Jedi that ever existed! Oh baby.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Nemesis 15 Sep 2003 14:56:02 18,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fucking HELL Piro. Did you bother sleeping this weekend?
  • pjmaybe 15 Sep 2003 15:01:23 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I thought it was Suki Bapsweat?

I might make many mistakes Otto but not about The Day Today...!

Every day, the day today...!

Peej
  • lennon 15 Sep 2003 15:12:11 201 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tiitiz wrote:
    This game truly rocks. I find it quite hard to actually stick with RPG games but this keep calling me back even if I lose a couple of hours play (/curses self for forgetting to save).

Only on the 2nd planet myslf but sooo looking forward to getting home to play it again

/sad ;)

You shouldnt ever lose a couple of hours play as there is an autosave function. Which I think activates every 15 minutes when you change areas.
  • pjmaybe 15 Sep 2003 15:14:58 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd definitely recommend saving when you're "doing well" - me at the moment, my autosave has me with a tiny crumb of health, and the last time I properly saved was about an hour or so before that so I'd hate to have to go back and do stuff again...

Great game though, I just don't get long enough on it (double casualty night plus a friend's engagement do at the weekend pretty much put paid to my telly-grabbing!)

Peej
  • Hicksy 15 Sep 2003 15:50:35 2,593 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I try to save every 15-20 minutes incase of a corrupt save although I have only seen one bug so far and that was a character stuttering - other than that no funnies after 7hrs play :)

Edited by Hicksy at 14:51:05 15-09-2003
  • speedjack 15 Sep 2003 16:40:31 628 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got it Friday and played for about three hours - still on the first planet and and have so far lost 50 credits in a card game and had my ass kicked in a dueling match.

Out of interest - how many of you actually read the manaul before diving into this ? I'm not thick, but I'm no RPG veteran, and the thought of reading through the whole thing was too much.

Am I alone ?
  • speedjack 15 Sep 2003 16:40:34 628 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got it Friday and played for about three hours - still on the first planet and and have so far lost 50 credits in a card game and had my ass kicked in a dueling match.

Out of interest - how many of you actually read the manaul before diving into this ? I'm not thick, but I'm no RPG veteran, and the thought of reading through the whole thing was too much.

Am I alone ?
  • lost_soul 15 Sep 2003 16:42:38 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope, I didn't read the manual either. I probably should though.
  • Machiavel 15 Sep 2003 16:44:17 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The built in tutorial/help system seems quite comprehensive - though I usually find myself turning to the manual in RPGs for descriptions of status ailments and the cures. The auto-leveling is a bit shifty though - my scout is useless with a blade and it auto-suggested the twin-bladed penalty reduction. Tried it - she's even more crap!
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 16:49:10 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Fucking HELL Piro. Did you bother sleeping this weekend?

hehe, i got a little sleep - according to my savegame it took me 21 hours. thats with about 50% of the side-quests done.

As for finishing it as the other 'side' i was lucky in that when i arrived at the final planet (the water planet for me) i was 50/50, so i could just revisit that save-game and be a bastard to see the second ending. can't wait to kill my own team-mates who refuse to join the dark side!

*ever so slight spoiler - warning*

My fave part was the Sith Academy - i decide to do it 'properly' and backstabbed and killed both tutors, then had to make my way back thru the academy and kill every single trainee sith there.. was about 25 of the gits all coming at me with light sabres, made short work of them however

the game gets far too easy towards the end, especially if you've managed to collect the rare armour/weapons along the way, i have 2 a team of two jedi (myself and bastilla normally) and that cool evil robot who calls everybody "meat bag".

Edited by Pirotic at 15:52:51 15-09-2003

Edited by Pirotic at 15:54:24 15-09-2003
  • pjmaybe 15 Sep 2003 17:09:55 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't bother with the manual. TBH unless you're a complete RPG noob then there's not that much of a need for the manual.

I find the combat sections more than a bit annoying. I seriously need better firepower/armour as I just can't stop getting killed by everyone. Still, perseverance and all that.

Pissed off that you're not allowed to choose race/species from the outset. I mean it would've been brilliant to be able to choose any subspecies from the star wars universe as your main character...

I can picture it now..
    "Wicket, the sith ewok"

"Oh look, he's got a cute little black hood and everything...! Bless!"

Peej
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 18:09:31 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My advice for combat is make constant use of the pause button (white key) and then spend a while thinking it over.

make sure any droids/jedi players have had the AI script set to "Droid/Jedi" (character menu, then X i think), this will mean they do the jedi powers when the CPU is handling them which makes a big difference.

I tend to pause it as soon as a large fight breaks out, get the people/person at the back to throw concussion grenades to groups of enemys. then just pick off the others.

Its normally always the weak git who just stands in the corner of the room who gives you the most damage overall, as the CPU will ignore him and go for the centre all the time.

Later on in the game you get a 'insanity' dark magic which makes humans a piece of cake to deal with.

the only way to get the best armour is by taking it from the bodys of the main bad-guys you kill thru-out the game, i never once found armour in the shops which was better than armour i had found myself already, plus you can upgrade some armour using the work bench which makes a huge difference (Same with light-sabres, my double bladed had 12-38 damage after i'd souped it up, killed with one hit)

In terms of skill never 'automatic' - as it trys to give every character atleast 4 computer skills which is a waste of time as you only need one computer skilled character.

oh, and Jedi Master Robes kick ass :)

hope thats helpfull,

Edited by Pirotic at 17:12:55 15-09-2003
  • blablabla 15 Sep 2003 18:55:46 1,006 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is a seriously addictive game. I got it saturday afternoon and ive racked up close to 30 hours so far. Dont ask me how. This is the first game thats done that to me in a verrrrrrry long time. (FF and maybe CM2 when i was a wee lad).

I started as a two-sword wielding Soldier and have turned into a double-bladed saber Guardian. Ive done every one of the side quests Ive found and Im a 80-90% rated 'light' Jedi. No dark force powers and only ever choose the 'light' responses in conversation.

No romance storylines for me :(

I cant wait to finish so i can restart and raise my stats and powers properly, and be a right nasty bugger too. :D
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 19:06:43 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i assume you've finished it mate, which is strange as when i finished it i had the option of telling Balista i loved her.. :p

going to start a dark-side game tomorrow and be a total bastard, i assume it lets you have as many games as you want? dont want to create a new game and find all my existing saves become invalid or something

Edited by Pirotic at 18:08:45 15-09-2003
  • blablabla 15 Sep 2003 19:29:17 1,006 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    i assume you've finished it mate, which is strange as when i finished it i had the option of telling Balista i loved her.. :p
    No, i havent yet. I spent a lot of time wandering around, talking to everyone, getting every last quest etc so ive just got back out of the submersible to finish up this area. And the romance thing, Im playing this as a full on lightsider and it keeps hinting that it would swing you to the darkside. Ive had the options to hit on Balista but i played it safe and then she blew me off.
    going to start a dark-side game tomorrow and be a total bastard, i assume it lets you have as many games as you want? dont want to create a new game and find all my existing saves become invalid or something
    Should be fine. I just hope i can delete most of the saves i have, I must have close to 150 at least
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 20:54:09 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dont worry - it lets you delete save-games ingame, sadly it doesn't let you re-arrange them :p
  • blablabla 15 Sep 2003 21:57:38 1,006 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, while I remember, does anyone know how to open the hidden compartment on the ebon hawk?
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Sep 2003 22:00:25 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It contains spice which was ment to be delivered to an alien on one of the planets, if you speak to him and let him know you have the hawk he'll tell you the code for the locker.

you get 1000 (forgot the currency?) for giving him the spice, or you can 'force persuede' him for a little more.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous