Recommend a graphical showcase for the 360, preferably with some gameplay ;)

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 21 June 2006 09:55:50
    So now I've got my Packard Bell 19 inch widescreen LCD, and my eyes have bled while playing Battlefield and Need For Speed, and to a certain extent Oblivion, I'm looking for a new game to try that looks the business in Hi-Def.

Some don't look that much better - Tomb Raider, for example, looked pretty much the same.
  • banjoted 21 Jun 2006 09:59:18 1,500 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fight Night FTW
  • pjmaybe 21 Jun 2006 09:59:33 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lost Planet demo...!

Peej
  • Tiger_Walts 21 Jun 2006 10:03:12 16,586 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Condemned - Still has the best graphical touches of all the games so far.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Deleted user 21 June 2006 10:19:56
    Furbs wrote:
    Fight Night or PGR or GRAW.

But you need those 3 titles anyway.
    Hmm...

I tried the Fight Night demo but I thought I probably wouldn't enjoy it for the same reason I don't like Table Tennis or Tekken-style games - too many combos to learn and the one-on-one nature means you HAVE to be excellent at it - no hiding or using teamwork. And I never usually am. I don't think my brain's wired up like that! It did look gorgeous on the CRT though so I'll try the demo again :)

PGR I stayed away from just coz I felt like it was more of the same and while the game is fun, it's a bit too dry for my Burnout/Need For Speed-tainted tastes. When I finish NFS I might pick it up cheap, cheers!

GRAW: again, I have the demo but I went for Battlefield over that in the end, for the multiplayer. I've done the main quest on TOmb Raider now and not that bothered about finding the extras so I might pick it up on a trade or something.

• reality_cheque 21 Jun 2006 10:21:36 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    GRAW: again, I have the demo but I went for Battlefield over that in the end, for the multiplayer. I've done the main quest on TOmb Raider now and not that bothered about finding the extras so I might pick it up on a trade or something.
    I'd say GR:AW was superior to BF, but then I plan on getting BF too - you can never have too many opportunities to drive tanks :D

*is the worst chopper pilot in the world*
  • Deleted user 21 June 2006 10:22:26
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I played the demo the other night and was scared shitless -not to mention quite frustrated by the whole 'lashing around with a piece of wood' thing. But mostly scared shitless... Looked good visually though. I suspected it might be a tiny bit shallow and the review backs this up but it did look pretty entertaining. Felt a LOT like playing an interactive movie. Does it get samey after a while? Is it just 'search for evidence, find evidence, get chased through derelict houses, escape, rinse, repeat'?
  • Deleted user 21 June 2006 10:23:51
    reality_cheque wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    I'd say GR:AW was superior to BF, but then I plan on getting BF too - you can never have too many opportunities to drive tanks :D

*is the worst chopper pilot in the world*
    Interesting - but I never play the single player on Battlefield - find it really limiting and too arcadey for that kind of game. The multiplayer is the reason I splashed out on it again after already having bought the Xbox flavour. What do you prefer about GRAW?

Edited by Owen-B at 10:26:21 21-06-2006
  • Xerx3s 21 Jun 2006 18:45:10 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo \0/
  • morriss 21 Jun 2006 18:53:23 70,928 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kameo made my jaw drop on many an occaision.
  • morriss 21 Jun 2006 19:08:32 70,928 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FN3 does w1n however.
  • kalel 21 Jun 2006 19:09:56 86,879 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shit game, but PDZ probably has the best moments, even if it's not consistent.

FN3 looks a lot better in HD as well, you can'y see the sweat droplets and blood fly off in SD at all I don't think.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2006 19:14:10
    FN3 I will give another bash, but for me the gameplay was not made up for by the graphics. Not to say it's not clearly a superb game, but I can tell that, as with Soul Calibur before it, once I get any deeper than being able to win with obvious, basic skills, and have to start learning them, I will start to be really beaten down by it.

I'll go on a downloading frenzy tonight :)
  • Xerx3s 21 Jun 2006 22:27:12 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The large MP levels with lots of players running around is some nice eyecandy imo.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2006 22:41:50
    Okay, well I've downloaded, played, and decided against:

Burnout (been there, done that, and anyway it's just TOO fast now!);
    PGR3 (been there, done that, and still a bit too dry for me)
    Condemned (demo certainly looked lovely and was dripping in tension, and it's a superb idea on the face of it, but I hated the 'running' mechanic, the messily innacurate combat, the level design and the idea that it would get very repetitive soon, plus the two reviews on EG put the boot in somewhat).

So, at the moment, based on demo alone, I'm wavering between either:

Fight Night (because I did actually quite enjoy the demo when I played it for the third time - but was that because it was set to Super Ridiculously Easy, though? Does it actually suddenly leap up in difficulty on a par with Table Fucking Tennis? I'm still concerned it could be quite a lonely experience as it's very much a one-on-one game online)

or

GR:AW (because it's got guns, it looks pretty, there's an element of tactics, there's apparently a nice online element)

Is Far Cry any good?

Are there any other online games that aren't one-on-one?

Am I suddenly discovering the fabled '360-owner-running-out-of-decent-games-to-play-real-quick' syndrome?
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Jun 2006 23:02:52 44,505 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worth pointing out that GR:AW has two engines, one for offline and the other for multiplayer. The latter is very pretty indeed (and full screen on my 1280x1024 monitor) but the real beauty is the single player campaign. It really had me gawping at points, like the start of the second mission where you're being flown into Mexico City and your chopper comes under fire from the roof tops.

Yet to be bettered graphically, that :)

Plus - so good I played it through twice! \o/
  • jozz 21 Jun 2006 23:04:44 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the xbox version was BC I'd recommend getting that, as the MP predator mode is great and the single player is solid too. It's a shame Ubi seemed to have fucked up the controls on the 360 mind :/

Fwiw, FN and GRAW are probably the best looking titles out there atm. GRAW would get my money as it does have more depth to it than FN. The multiplayer is certainly different to BF, but I personally prefer playing BF online really. Bigger maps, classes and vehicles are what swayed me really.

The single player game on Ghost Recon is by far and away much better though.

Edited by jozz at 23:09:00 21-06-2006
  • Razz 21 Jun 2006 23:07:19 61,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

Thank you. Why does no one else see this? ;_;

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 21 June 2006 23:47:05
    Jim Bob wrote:
    Thirded...
    Yeah but like I say, I can see it (Condemned, right?) getting really tiresome after a while. I did really like the LOOK of the demo (graphically, stylistically, etc).
  • Bidermaier 21 Jun 2006 23:50:16 31 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lost Planet demo
  • BartonFink 21 Jun 2006 23:53:15 34,853 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bidermaier wrote:
    Lost Planet demo
    +1
  • Deleted user 22 June 2006 00:38:34
    Well, the whole point of this thread is about me having got my 360 churning out pixels in HD on my new monitor, and how previously 'quite nice, nothing special' games such as Need For Speed and Battlefield were now looking so ridiculously sexy that it felt like I was playing a different game...

So it's perfectly possible that Condemned looks a bit 'meh' on a non-HD screen but 'teh awesome' when ramped up to the max...
  • Deleted user 22 June 2006 00:55:41
    Yeah I know! :)

It's just, it's like walking into a thread that's about What flavours of hot milk should I try? and saying "I wouldn't know - I only drink cold milk".

Or something.

Um...

Anyway, yeah. Not many good games on the ol' 360 yet, are there?

/runs

Edited by Owen-B at 00:55:54 22-06-2006
  • IronGiant 22 Jun 2006 01:48:16 4,486 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • IronGiant 22 Jun 2006 01:49:53 4,486 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quezcatol wrote:
    Says you.

Graw,Oblivion,condemned,table tennis,pgr3,kameo,Fn3,motogp 06,top spin2 and call of duty2 is games i would considered to be great.

Says you.. couple of excellent and a few above average games there.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2006 01:55:12
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous