Help me design a DIY home fitness course!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 15 June 2006 16:57:34
    Basically I need to get fit for the summer, get rid of the beer belly and the love handles. It's gone quite bad, as I'm actually quite thin, so it stands out more.
    I don't excercise at all at the moment, and work from home, so I don't even walk that much.

I need your help getting back into shape, knowing that I don't want and can't affor to join a gym, are there any regular exercise that I can do at home? I can think of:
    -running
    -swimming
    -push-ups
    -crunches

Is there anything else you can advise? And how much of the above should I aim for on a daily basis (series of how many, lengths of jogs, etc.).

Any help much appreciated!
  • ecu 15 Jun 2006 17:03:55 77,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Run/cycle/swim a LOT to lose the beer belly. Sit-ups and crunches won't go anything, you have to do cardio. Once the fat drops off, then you can put on a bit of mucsle. You'll really need weights for this, do situps and pushups daily, and weight train about three or four times a week, but don't overdo it. Of course, all this would be pointless if you continue to eat junk and excess on beer. With all that excercise, you'll need to be eating plenty of good food, too.
  • Leela 15 Jun 2006 17:22:04 485 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    as beginner weights (or weights for weaklings like me), use bottles or water, tins of food, etc.

run up and down the stairs (if you have stairs) and do the housework - mowing the lawn and hoovering are good for exercise.

buy a home exercise video - Davina's is good (so I've heard.....)
  • Angel_Treats 15 Jun 2006 18:25:53 11,072 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No exercise burns off as many calories as running does. Get a proper pair of running shoes and aim to run three times a week for say half an hour at a time.

Ecureuil is right in that you need to shift the beer belly by doing cardio. You can't turn flab into muscle, so you need to shift the fat before any muscle you build will show. BUT muscle burns calories more efficiently than fat does and if you are looking to shift weight, then you really should be doing some resistance work with weights in order to build muscle and therefore raise your metabolic rate, and also to strengthen your leg and core muscles so you're less likely to injure yourself running.

I, of course, do not take my own advice...
  • Deleted user 15 June 2006 18:55:17
    Thanks for the tips!
  • ssuellid 15 Jun 2006 20:01:53 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd be careful with running - pretty high impact. I'd never do it knowing the number of people I do with ankle, foot, knee or hip problems bought on by it. Try a stepper or cross trainer first if you have to run to help build up your muscles to support your joints.
  • chopsen 15 Jun 2006 20:15:43 16,290 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fat = energy in - energy out

If you don't use up those calories you eat up, your body stores it as fat.

Exercise alone is impractical.

See?

So running for an hour or so burns up the same amount of energy in a mars bar.

Need to do diet as well as exercise!
  • lucky_jim 15 Jun 2006 21:37:24 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I went from a humiliating 14.5st (I'm naturally quite slight, so I looked horrific) to an acceptable 11st in one summer a couple of years ago, just by cutting out unhealthy snacks and spending half an hour a day working up a sweat. I'm still far from fit, but (speaking from experience) any exercise will make a difference if you're as sloth-like as I previously was. Just don't get disheartened when it takes longer than you'd like for the results to show.

This will probably get laughed at by the fitness freaks, but I find Samba de Amigo on the Dreamcast is a good way to get knackered out- it's so much fun that you don't realise you're actually getting a fair bit of cardio exercise.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next