Metroid Prime, OMFG!

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • SirScratchalot 1 Jun 2006 20:23:54 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay, so after being bullied into it by a nameless member of this forum I finally beat gaming apathy and removed the plastic from my copy of Metroid Prime.
    And god damn am I glad I did! As in broad smile all across my face and spending the day thinking of how I can get the girlfriend away from the TV when I get home.
    The game is just wow, from the first entrance into a disaster ridden Space Station with huge dead creatures still on fire from earlier battles and half dead space pirates still attempting to finish of what I now know is an old feud with our brave bounty hunter. Which brings me on to something I love: The scan visor, I am the kind of guy whose most anticipated feature of Bioshock is audio logs. I love snooping around for story. And the scan visor transforms everything in the game into possible story elements, it's just ace how the world comes alive when you can snoop around it like some metal clad cast member out of CSI. I'm just saddened by how un-scannable MP:Hunters now seems in comparison and how simple it's prose is compared to the gems to be found here. My favourite so far: The technical log of space pirate attempts to recreate the Morph ball. Hilarious, and written completely in style with the rest of the game. And then the lock on. I hate lock on with a passion, metroid prime has sort of worn me down though simply because it utilises a style of play that actually works with it. It makes possible gunfights that are full of dodging, weaving and jumping whereas most other games I've played usually feel like pushing people over with bullets at some point. /Glares at Liberty City Stories. Put a bloody dodge button in there already!

Anyway, back to that desolate space station where I now have to fight one of the gargantuan Bio-weapons that have been lying dead around the station. Then it's time to get out before the station disintegrates, thousands of pannicked smaller weaponized creatures swarm in panick, I share a silent moment with a metal dragon whom I recognise from the MP3 playthrough from E3 this year bfore escaping and landing on a planet. Which brings me on to my final points: The environment is beautiful. Rain runs down my visor. There still hasn't been any dialougue yet I feel completely at home with the story. The game makes me feel like I'm actually in a metal armored suit. Jumping is precise, in a first person game. Impossible as it seems.
    Anyway, I explore, notice that the rain is not reaching the ground in a few places and find a set of invisible platforms only visible because the rain splashes across them. I am rewarded with a missile tank.
    I reach the Phaendra drifts, beatiful music kicks in, the snow seems to glisten. It is a good day.
    I do however long for a savepoint. I just beat that boss and found an energy tank! Please let me saaave, the girlfriend wants to watch "You are what you eat".

Still, this game is a gem. I don't think I can even think of a similiar experience bar the 2d castlevanias(the ones that got me to play the metroids in the first place!) and metroids. But the sheer beauty and craftsmanship in this game has blown me away, despite actually having a bloody lock on system.
    It is not often these days that on is floored by a game simply because you didn't know what to expect and because you receive so much more than you could ever hope for.
    This is pure gaming love.

Edited by SirScratchalot at 20:28:33 01-06-2006
  • Chtulie 1 Jun 2006 20:29:17 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't forget that your ship also counts as a save point.
    Check your map for doors or passegeways you've might've missed because they're placed a little out of sight or in a part of the room you haven't looked in.
    With the exception of the first part of the Phazon Mines, you're usually only a few rooms (and maybe an elevator ride) away from a save point.
  • ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:36:00 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/

You reached Phendrana already? Oh God I want to play it again now. The best game on the cube, by an astonishing distance.

The dragon you saw isn't quite the same as the one you saw in the MP3 trailer, either, I don't think... not that that's very important. Don't let anyone convince you that the showdown with said dragon in Prime is anything to be put off by... it is an absolutely excellent battle.

Beaten Thardus yet? Exactly how far have you gotten? Your post makes it a bit unclear.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 20:37:37 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SirScratchalot, that was beautiful man. ;_;

I have to complete this game now.

I'm up to some hardbarsted bit in the game where I have work my way through some long section while fighting off loads of baby metroids and negotiating complex jumping puzzles.

After reading your post, man.... I have to complete this game now. Well, just as soon as I pick up my memory card from a fellow eger's house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:38:58 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz, you... haven't finished it?!
  • Chtulie 1 Jun 2006 20:39:30 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    \o/

You reached Phendrana already? Oh God I want to play it again now. The best game on the cube, by an astonishing distance.

The dragon you saw isn't quite the same as the one you saw in the MP3 trailer, either, I don't think... not that that's very important. Don't let anyone convince you that the showdown with said dragon in Prime is anything to be put off by... it is an absolutely excellent battle.

Beaten Thardus yet? Exactly how far have you gotten? Your post makes it a bit unclear.

Don't forget that Prime 1's level progression and structure is very subtle compared to Prime 2 (in Prime 2, temple grounds functions clearly as a hub, in Prime 1 magmoor caverns functions kinda like a hub, but is often described as 'the spine' of the game). You pay a quick visit to Phenandra pretty early before coming back again later on to go through it proper.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 20:40:47 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

;_;

*no*

/runs away in tears of embarrasment

• ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:41:26 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chtulie wrote:
    Don't forget that Prime 1's level progression and structure is very subtle compared to Prime 2 (in Prime 2, temple grounds functions clearly as a hub, in Prime 1 magmoor caverns functions kinda like a hub, but is often described as 'the spine' of the game). You pay a quick visit to Phenandra pretty early before coming back again later on to go through it proper.
    Psssssh, I know that! I've been through it a good 4 times. I just got the impression somehow from Scratchy's post that he'd only just started.

Time for the 5th run. That 3rd art gallery will be mine!

Edited by ProfessorLesser at 20:42:10 01-06-2006
  • ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:44:15 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and er... there are no baby metroids in this game, man :-/

Do you mean just the bog-standard metroids?

RECORDED IN LOG BOOK
  • SirScratchalot 1 Jun 2006 20:45:41 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    \o/

It's all bits and pieces of the what I remember from the game but focusing on the first partsas to not add too many spoilers. I just feel passionate about those parts. I've really been eating it up and gone to bed waaay too late each night. I think my last boss-fight was with a large guy who went invisible until you changed visors, after that I've been gathering artifacts but there are still three I haven't found. Gamefaqs next I think!

But not today, I have to be up at 4 so I'll attempt to finish it this weekend.

Edit@Razz: As I said, it makes me feel passionat it somehow manages to lt you draw your own conclusions and still drive a narrative. Without any dialouge!

Edited by SirScratchalot at 20:47:24 01-06-2006
  • ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:48:00 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No! Resist the urge to gamefaq it! It is entirely completable without help, you'll feel much better for it.

And the big rock man you just killed was Thardus. Spider-ball ftw! :-D
  • effinjamie 1 Jun 2006 20:48:16 882 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    really wanted to like this game , but I just couldn't get to grips with the controls .

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:50:01 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never has a game used such a sublime control system ever. More revolutionary than anything the Wii remote will bring us. Not that it's started any trends, but it bucked quite a few, and there is no other way I'd rather play it.

And that includes with a remote. Retro, if you're reading: GC controller option, or die.
  • BartonFink 1 Jun 2006 20:50:31 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

;_;

*no*

/runs away in tears of embarrasment
    Neither did I
    /runs away in tears of frustration.

/mumbles
    stupid fucking bastard save mechanics. if I never see another....
  • ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 20:55:50 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have to say, when I saw 'Last Post 4m ago by BartonFink', I feared the worst... but actually that wasn't too bad ;-D
  • BartonFink 1 Jun 2006 21:00:53 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And what the heck is that supposed to mean Prof? :)

I loved the game up to a point Prof. Then I got to a point in the game that just frustrated the crap out of me having to re-do a very large section of the game. Anything I have read about that section seems to indicate it was the only place in the game that it happens. But I just had to give up or risk smashing my Cube.

Pity really it was a brilliant game up to that. :(

Edited by BartonFink at 21:01:01 01-06-2006
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 21:02:02 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Oh, and er... there are no baby metroids in this game, man :-/

Do you mean just the bog-standard metroids?

RECORDED IN LOG BOOK

I thought that they grew and became more complex as the game went on, which is why I refer to them as "baby" metroids. But yeah, "bog-standard" metroids.

• Razz 1 Jun 2006 21:02:34 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    And what the heck is that supposed to mean Prof? :)

I loved the game up to a point Prof. Then I got to a point in the game that just frustrated the crap out of me having to re-do a very large section of the game. Anything I have read about that section seems to indicate it was the only place in the game that it happens. But I just had to give up or risk smashing my Cube.

Pity really it was a brilliant game up to that. :(

Edited by BartonFink at 21:01:01 01-06-2006

Sounds like the same part I gave up on :)

• BartonFink 1 Jun 2006 21:04:55 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Prolly - just way too frustrating I must have tried it at least 30 times and just before the save point killed in that large outdoor bit on the way back. Wavebird never worked again after that.
  • StixxUK 1 Jun 2006 21:06:38 7,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still can't believe I never noticed the save point in between Meta-Ridley and Metroid Prime :(

Don't make the same mistake I did!
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 21:08:15 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait a minute! Is that bit before the mines section? Where you first encounter the pirates that are only vunerale to certain beams? I almost gave up on that bit too.That's a hard bastard section.

But the section I'm talking about is further down the line.

• StixxUK 1 Jun 2006 21:13:37 7,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, yeah, mild spoilers.

Right after you kill Ridley, in the room you drop into.

I managed to kill that bastard about 5 times (then get pwned by Prime) before I noticed it.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 21:17:11 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• ProfessorLesser 1 Jun 2006 21:17:29 19,356 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Naw Razz Stixx isn't talking about your part :-(

Unfortunately you are just down a save station.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 21:17:36 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    aha, I'm not that far yet, but I've seen my mate complete it already.

• StixxUK 1 Jun 2006 21:57:18 7,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Err hasn't a post that made my answer make more sense been deleted?

Anyhoo, I want everyone to know about that save point so you don't need to go through what I did. Wouldn't wish it on anyone :D
  • BartonFink 1 Jun 2006 21:59:30 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Wait a minute! Is that bit before the mines section? Where you first encounter the pirates that are only vunerale to certain beams? I almost gave up on that bit too.That's a hard bastard section.

But the section I'm talking about is further down the line.
    That's the one.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 22:00:36 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeh. Fucking hard as nails. But stick with it man! The save point is in one huge room with loads of "white beam" pirates.

• BartonFink 1 Jun 2006 22:07:53 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Yeh. Fucking hard as nails. But stick with it man! The save point is in one huge room with loads of "white beam" pirates.
    Can't unfortunately sold me Cube before Christmas. I might pick it up cheapish when Wii starts to flow though.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2006 22:08:48 61,003 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *groan*

:)

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous