The Pirate Bay Thread Page 32

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• Fake_Blood 6 May 2012 10:57:11 4,145 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You have been redirected to this stop page because the website you are trying to visit offers content that is considered illegal according to Belgian legislation.
    If you are the owner or administrator of this website and you consider to be wrongly redirected, you can report this by fax at +32(0)2/733.56.16.

That's right, you can join our cybercrime detection unit by fax.
  • Dirtbox 6 May 2012 10:58:59 77,650 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's like some sort of sick, brainless joke.

It's just as well they haven't got a clue what they're doing or they might actually begin to be an annoyance.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• HoriZon 8 May 2012 20:24:59 13,522 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Virgin Media hacked by opponents of The Pirate Bay block.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17998113

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• disusedgenius 8 May 2012 20:35:34 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DDoS counts as hacking now? I was expecting something much better. :(
  • graysonavich 10 May 2012 19:02:07 7,320 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DVDs, Blu-rays will carry two unskippable government warnings
    "Will the two screens be shown back to back? Will each screen last for 10 seconds each? Will each screen be unskippable? Yes, yes, and yes. An ICE spokesman tells me that the two screens will 'come up after the previews, once you hit the main movie/play button on the DVD. At which point the movie rating comes up, followed by the IPR Center screen shot for 10 secs and then the FBI/HSI anti-piracy warning for 10 secs as well. Neither can be skipped/fast forwarded through.'" That'll surely teach the pirates who don't buy DVDs or Blu-rays.
    Remind me who is getting the blame for killing the industry again?
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 23:07:39
    Imbeciles. Why do they always try to piss off their costumers. Whether with shit like this or DRM, it's always their paying customers who suffer.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 23:09:10
    They almost, -almost- had the right idea when instead of security warnings they just included a leaflet in the box saying 'Thanks for buying genuine! You're great!'

That lasted about twenty seconds before they decided to go back to the ads, though.

Edited by meme at 23:10:58 10-05-2012
  • superdelphinus 10 May 2012 23:17:03 8,038 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zm26 wrote:
    Imbeciles. Why do they always try to piss off their costumers. Whether with shit like this or DRM, it's always their paying customers who suffer.
    You don't think the people who necessitated (in the right holders' opinions) such measures deserve any criticism?
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 23:37:59
    superdelphinus wrote:
    zm26 wrote:
    You don't think the people who necessitated (in the right holders' opinions) such measures deserve any criticism?
    No. That's an absurd suggestion.

They're punishing one group of people for the actions of another group of people. People who download Blu-ray rips will never see these messages so they're targeting people who already pay for content warning them not to do something they don't actually do. Nobody is forcing big content to act like complete jackasses.

Does Tesco warn every customer at the checkout not to shop-lift or else?

Edited by zm26 at 23:40:30 10-05-2012

Edited by zm26 at 23:41:46 10-05-2012
  • superdelphinus 10 May 2012 23:44:48 8,038 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, they do
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 23:51:24
    No, they don't.

You don't really get the whole concept of a discussion, do you?

Pirates are irrelevant. They aren't affected. This has no bearing on them at all. They will never see these notices unless they don't pirate.

What is the function of these notices if the only people who see them are legal customers?
  • skuzzbag 11 May 2012 22:35:47 5,638 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So is Pirate Bay supposed to be blocked or not now as it's not been blocked by my ISP (Plusnet).
  • Dirtbox 11 May 2012 22:37:20 77,650 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice work answering your own question.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• superdelphinus 11 May 2012 23:12:48 8,038 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @zm26 so you've never seen the black "shoplifters/thieves will be prosecuted" signs at checkouts then? You think many shoplifters go through the checkouts?

I don't know why they it these messages in to legal copies, and to be honest I don't really care a great deal. It's probably because even pirates watch the odd legal DVD every now and again.

But you're right, I don't even get the concept of what a discussion is (ironic you should say that, given such an excellent example of poor interpersonal skills), so what the hell do I know?
  • kalel 12 May 2012 09:02:25 86,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's just about raising general awareness. It's not rocket science.
  • ResidentKnievel 12 May 2012 09:51:47 6,172 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed, I would have never thought about pirating until I saw it being as cool as stealing a car.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• monkehhh 12 May 2012 10:39:35 3,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always wanted to fund terrorism but I didn't know how.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2012 03:44:48
    Interesting.

So rather than faff about blocking websites, they'll just try to make torrents horribly unreliable. Not that this approach will work either, but it's at least a bit more novel and technologically interesting than just "STOP THE INTERWEBSITES"
  • DFawkes 16 May 2012 09:25:17 22,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That'll be a bit annoying for MMO clients that use peer-to-peer technology to download or update, or stuff like the free bonus material torrent for PC game The Void. As long as there's a way to add legal exceptions I don't have a problem with it, but I really don't think they will (if it's even possible).

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• nickthegun 16 May 2012 09:30:31 59,341 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will be defeated in minutes. As someone said in the article, you need to beat the societal causes of piracy as nerds will always find a way around the technology.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:30:50 16-05-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• urban 16 May 2012 09:33:22 10,938 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It will be defeated in minutes. As someone said in the article, you need to beat the societal causes of piracy as nerds will always find a way around the technology.
    By creating a media platform that costs money and is a viable contender. I don't download music anymore. Just spotify unless its an album i find on there which i really like i'll buy the album.

Do the same for film and you're more than 2/3's home.

Atleast for me as a customer.
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2012 09:45:16 17,411 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm still not totally sold on Spotify. I've used it before and couldn't find a lot of stuff, and the amount musicians get from it seems a bit fucked up to me. It's definitely a step in the right direction though.

Make a system where you can 'rent' albums, do what you want with it for a week (like putting it on your iPod) then you can buy it for a fiver if you like it. Sorted.

Same for films. Get all the studios to sort it out (it's in their best interests, after all), have everything on there for a few quid a pop and instantly streaming.
  • disusedgenius 16 May 2012 09:48:42 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I honestly don't think I could ever see myself paying to stream content per-item. It just doesn't hold enough value in my mind that way.
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2012 09:52:02 17,411 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What if you could stream it whenever you wanted? Or if there was a download option too?

I'm probably being a bit idealist now, mind.
  • nickthegun 16 May 2012 09:55:11 59,341 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldnt do it for music as it has huge repeat value for me but I dont think ive watched any film more than once in the last ten years unless its been broadcast on telly.

ús per use, films represent awful value for me.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 16 May 2012 09:56:36
    I like the iTunes match model, any dodgy downloads I get are essentially legalised by it :D
  • disusedgenius 16 May 2012 09:57:51 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Honestly, the service/subscription is the way of the future, imo. The value of the content has plummeted so it's the service which I'm happy to pay for now. If a film isn't available on Lovefilm, for example, I don't find it via another means, I just don't watch it.

It might be just me though - but mentally with media the 'all-you-can-eat' is just easier to shell out for, even if it ends up being more expensive than getting each thing individuality. Just the typical 'just take my money and make it happen' mentality, really. :)
  • Deleted user 16 May 2012 10:01:29
    @disusedgenius

This is my view too. I have no problem paying for services but I won't pay what the content providers charge for individual digital content. It simply isn't worth it to me.
  • Razz 16 May 2012 10:06:33 60,997 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I wouldnt do it for music as it has huge repeat value for me but I dont think ive watched any film more than once in the last ten years unless its been broadcast on telly.

ús per use, films represent awful value for me.
    I'm the same way, I don't get people that buy Films to keep. TV Series', maybe, but Films? Always a rental for me.

I understand that some people really enjoy a film and want to own it, but that's the mentality I don't get. Why buy it so you can add it to your already 500+ collection of films you've only watched once or twice, it's just clutter. I'm the same now with videogames, unless it's something with a high replay value like RPG's/RTS/Arcade/Indy etc... I just rent it from lovefilm or borrow it from someone that bought it.

Edited by Razz at 10:09:06 16-05-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Page

of 38 First / Last