• Page

of 56 First / Last

• figgis 3 Aug 2010 11:34:15 7,376 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    I need to go back and watch the 5th series again because i sprinted through it and probably missed alot of the smaller details. IMO it was the worst one. With Omar though it wasn't a random killing because he had a huge bounty on his head, it did take me completly by surprise and it did feel like a shallow ending for such a great character

Nah, it's not shallow, it's circular. The whole show is a study in the cyclical nature of life. Omar goes, but Michael is there to replace him. Bubbles gets clean, but Dukie is there to take his place.

The critical scene that gives a hint at what's to come is the scene where Kenard first encounters Omar. Omar is injured after the Marlo crew attack, and is hobbling around on crutches after jumping out the window. Kenard looks him up and down, and says "that's Omar?". Kenard is less than impressed by how Omar appears, what with Omar being known as a legendary, superhuman stickup artist. Kenard being young, fearless and a bit mental, is not scared by Omar. That's why it's so easy for him to do what he does; he doesn't have the same fear of Omar as everyone else who's seen him in his prime.

I cant remember the bit with Kernard and I guess that it adds to that scene, it just wasn't the heroes ending I expected for such a great character. I'm not complaining though its still probably the best TV series I have ever watched

That's the point though, people like that don't go out in a blaze of glory usually it's some random argument or fight that gets them. It's why at the end of the episode it focuses on Omar's face and you half expect him open his eyes and get up. It's not what we expect to see him dead without fulfilling his revenge.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2010 18:39:07
    Just restarted watching this having got part way into S3 ages ago and stopped for some reason. Anyway, began the series from the beginning and just got through 'Slapstick'. Amazing episode, so much going on I began doubting my memory of it all and had to check I wasn't mixing in bits from the last one.

Loved how the three shootings all had a horrible kind of slapstick to them. Especially shooting the 'crown' on a Sunday :o Also PREZ! /o\ :o My jaw hit the floor!

Think the more political bend to the series is what put me off partly last time but oddly I've found it really enthralling this time round. Really can't see where the Carcetti guy is going to end up and I'm sure the politics story threads can't now be completed by the end of season so much go background in following ones?
  • Alastair 1 Sep 2010 11:23:33 15,709 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Five series boxset currently only 61.99 on Amazon..

/just used that to bargain with workmate to get his copies for 50 all in.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 11 September 2010 21:23:09
    Just finished up the third season this evening. Sterling stuff. Some real lol moments as well such as OMFG is that Rawls in the background in the gay bar?! :D

The guy in the bowtie is like Super Cool and Not to Be Messed With too.
  • HoriZon 13 Sep 2010 09:45:16 13,542 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda wrote:
    Just finished up the third season this evening. Sterling stuff. Some real lol moments as well such as OMFG is that Rawls in the background in the gay bar?! :D

The guy in the bowtie is like Super Cool and Not to Be Messed With too.

Just saw that ep last night and thought the same it cant be though surely?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Deleted user 13 September 2010 09:47:50
    the guy's a homo
  • Venkman90 13 Sep 2010 09:57:17 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's Rawls, it's one of the best things about the Wire, Rawls is gay and no one cares, it's not a plot point as it has nothing to do with his ability to do his job, it's just there for flavour.

As for Omar

Figgis nailed it, no one goes out the way they expect, most of Omar's myth was just that (As seen at the end when the corner boys are talking about his death in exagerated terms), he was just as human as anyone else and it was pure luck he made it as far as he did.

Mouzone

Worst part for me as he DID seem a little bit far fetched, but David Simon backed it up by saying the Nation of Islam did provide protection for dealers and that they were usually ex gang members who cleaned up.
  • cianchristopher 13 Sep 2010 10:30:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    With regards to Rawls being gay, I wouldn't say that no one cares. It's a very, very important facet of his character, not simply a "oh, he's gay, but nevermind" addition.

As John Doman said in interview on one of the dvd extras, it's a real source of self-loathing for Rawls, and goes a long way towards explaing just why he's such an asshole.
  • Venkman90 13 Sep 2010 11:52:18 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What I mean is, it's not like he becomes some swishy stereotype, it's never even mentioned even though I bet half the force knows.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2010 20:16:37
    lorrie moore on the wire
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2010 08:50:17 67,665 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Done and done. 5th season was a bit up and down and I took exception to the main plot but it was a brilliant ending. I genuinely feel sad that it's all over.
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2010 09:08:46 7,650 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    David Simon's original pitch for The Wire.
  • Leeky 7 Oct 2010 09:18:39 48 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The best show ever
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • StixxUK 11 Jan 2011 23:47:09 7,255 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished series 4. Brilliant, but SO depressing...
  • Venkman90 12 Jan 2011 09:02:47 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It gets worse (for some) but for me S3 was the highpoint of the whole show.
  • breedob 20 Jan 2011 21:38:31 470 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Season 3 was my favourite. One of the best shows I've seen!
  • Futaba 22 Jan 2011 01:58:35 3,511 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished watching the last episode last night, loved the whole series. Glad I stuck with it because the beginning of season 1 was a bit too slow in parts and I found it hard to watch. For comparison, the first few eps of season 1 took me almost a month to watch, while the whole seasons of 3, 4 and 5 I watched in less than a month :p

I didn't hate season 2, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as the other seasons. I liked the dock workers more than the newspaper writers, that's for sure. I hated Carcetti to begin with, gradually started to take a liking to him but then ultimately hated him again by the end.

Season 4's version of the intro song was my favourite, season 2 my least liked (funny that, I just read that S2's song is the original version o_O). So all in order; 4 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 2. The Shield and The Wire are my two favourite TV programs by far.

Two great comedic scenes (of many):

Lester and Bunk interview possible witnesses from the ships. (Season 2)

Herc has trouble moving a desk. (Season 1)

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Razz 22 Jan 2011 02:07:47 61,196 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished Season 2, this is a really interesting show. Kima is really complex character, what's going on with her baby hate? Is she jealous of the baby? Or just had her fill of her partner and is staying in the relationship just for the sake of the baby? I dunno... I guess Season 3 will hold answers... I hope so I'm up to Episode 3! That Waitress McNutty bangs after smashing up his car whilst drunk is fucking hot.

Favourite scene, Bunk and McNutty analysing a crime scene, conversing using only variations the word "fuck" :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 22 Jan 2011 02:16:22 61,196 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Found my favourite scene :D

• urban 22 Jan 2011 02:45:24 10,945 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Omar goes out for cereal - My favourite scene of my favourite tv character. No spoilers
  • Venkman90 22 Jan 2011 09:04:00 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    That Waitress McNutty bangs after smashing up his car whilst drunk is fucking hot.

Yes she is, and she is an actual Baltimore resident, they had some kind of online contest to win a role in the show I remember reading, and she won it.

And then Domininc West won the pleasure of having her ride him with her tits out for as many takes as he could squeeze out of it I imagine.

Everybody wins :D
  • Deleted user 22 January 2011 09:05:32
    Dominic did fucking well out of that show for dry humping. The bit with the two prozzies is my all time favourite tv scene I think. What a legend.
  • Razz 30 Jan 2011 01:32:41 61,196 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! Snoop is a 30yo woman?!

Mind = blown

• Page

of 56 First / Last