The Wire Page 51

  • Page

    of 56 First / Last

  • Alastair 30 Jul 2010 11:27:38 15,720 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    See, this is why I need to watch it again, because while that scene rings a bell I can't remember it clearly. :o(

    Not as nice as I used to be

  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Jul 2010 11:28:39 25,825 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2010 11:31:36
    Fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck, fuck?
  • geeza2020 30 Jul 2010 11:37:05 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuuuuuuck!
  • yupyup 30 Jul 2010 11:37:37 3,682 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuckity fuck

    Hands Off Our Penises

  • thedaveeyres 30 Jul 2010 11:46:50 11,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Motherfucker.

    Oh fuck.

    Ooooh fuck.

    Fuck.

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Deleted user 30 July 2010 11:54:48
    otto wrote:
    I've struggled with Series 5, I have the DVD set sitting here but I still haven't got around to watching it all. The whole serial killer plot line seems just too far-fetched.

    It really is worth it in the end.
  • Alastair 30 Jul 2010 11:55:03 15,720 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah yes, it's all come back to me now.

    Not as nice as I used to be

  • Jackface 30 Jul 2010 12:01:05 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    otto wrote:
    My fave scene was the crime scene investigation by Bunk & McNulty in series 1 where there's only one word of dialogue (though oft repeated).
    See I just didn't think that was very realistic at all. It smacked of "too clever for it's own good" to me, having been told it was one of the most realistic and fascinating crime shows ever.

    Just sayin'. Maybe that is in fact a very realistic scene, I don't know that many Baltimore drug squad cops.
  • otto Moderator 30 Jul 2010 12:28:36 49,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course it wasn't realistic, it was clever and funny.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • andywilkie35 30 Jul 2010 12:32:35 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FUCK

    PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

  • Lotos8ter 30 Jul 2010 13:05:03 2,358 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm blaming you lot.

    After a long break from the Wire, I'm revisiting Season 4 - its just superb.
    I'd forgotten about the girl fight in the classroom, when one of them sits down on the floor and Dukwan sits next to her with a battery fan to cool her off. Lovely light touch.

    Fiat Lux

  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Jul 2010 13:36:01 5,832 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You may have not noticed that Dukie repaired the fan after finding it outside the school. And then gave it to her. Just a little thing, but it makes the ending of season 4 even more heartbreaking. Out of the 4 boys, he had the kindest heart. But had the WORST home life. If things were just a little different. Because he also had the smarts to have had a great education.
  • geeza2020 30 Jul 2010 14:21:44 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And then he's back on the corner in series 5 :-(
  • geeza2020 3 Aug 2010 10:51:52 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished the last series of this, it has to be the least good of the series (i dont want to say worst, because it isnt that bad) but the last episode does almost make up for the muddle that was the rest of the series.

    I think the character i feel has gotten the worst treatment in the final series is Omar. His whole story is pointless i felt. He has his old friend killed (the blind man in the bar, can't remember his name) so he decides to go on a revenge spree on Marlo's crew. So he starts picking them off one at a time, and then is randomly killed by the kid that got beaten up for stealing a stash in the fourth series. WTF???. It just made his whole plot thread completely pointless. I felt robbed. Any one else have any views on this; conflicting or otherwise :)

    Other than that i'm not sure why Prez was willing to give Dukwan all that money when he knew (he even drops him off with the junk man) he wasnt spending it on that course?

    Any despite these two issues, it's still the best tv show i have watched since the sopranos, and theres not a single fade to black in sight! The problem i have now is finding another tv show to watch that is anywhere near as good as those two shows. I have been spoiled now i think :-)
  • Trane 3 Aug 2010 11:01:09 4,052 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It could be me writing that final paragraph of yours Geeza, I've just started watching the shield after a few recommendations - I'm 6 eps in to Season 1 and it's very good.

    I'm assuming you've seen Band of Brothers?
  • roz123 3 Aug 2010 11:02:31 7,113 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need to go back and watch the 5th series again because i sprinted through it and probably missed alot of the smaller details. IMO it was the worst one. With Omar though it wasn't a random killing because he had a huge bounty on his head, it did take me completly by surprise and it did feel like a shallow ending for such a great character
  • geeza2020 3 Aug 2010 11:07:42 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trane - yeah i have seen Band of Brothers, awesome show. Is The Pacific any good? I heard its another spielberg/hanks collaboration. Just not sure how it stacks up in comparison with BoB.

    Re: the shield: I've always thought that it was just another cop show. Is it done on an episode by episode basis (like CSI etc) or does it have a story that covers a whole series? I need something i can really get my teeth into.

    roz123 - sure i understand he had the bounty and everything, but a child? The kid looks at the most about 8 or 9 years old, what kid of that age would even think about shooting Omar, a man with a reputation like his doesnt have pot shots taken at him by children. Sure random gangsters with a view to increase their rep or something, but a child? I just don't buy it. But I agree totally on your point that it really does cheapen the character, especially as he was probably my favourite character in the whole show, bar Bunk. "ya happy now bitch?"
  • craigy Staff 3 Aug 2010 11:08:10 7,652 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    I need to go back and watch the 5th series again because i sprinted through it and probably missed alot of the smaller details. IMO it was the worst one. With Omar though it wasn't a random killing because he had a huge bounty on his head, it did take me completly by surprise and it did feel like a shallow ending for such a great character

    Nah, it's not shallow, it's circular. The whole show is a study in the cyclical nature of life. Omar goes, but Michael is there to replace him. Bubbles gets clean, but Dukie is there to take his place.

    The critical scene that gives a hint at what's to come is the scene where Kenard first encounters Omar. Omar is injured after the Marlo crew attack, and is hobbling around on crutches after jumping out the window. Kenard looks him up and down, and says "that's Omar?". Kenard is less than impressed by how Omar appears, what with Omar being known as a legendary, superhuman stickup artist. Kenard being young, fearless and a bit mental, is not scared by Omar. That's why it's so easy for him to do what he does; he doesn't have the same fear of Omar as everyone else who's seen him in his prime.
  • Trane 3 Aug 2010 11:08:50 4,052 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    geeza2020 wrote:
    Re: the shield: I've always thought that it was just another cop show. Is it done on an episode by episode basis (like CSI etc) or does it have a story that covers a whole series? I need something i can really get my teeth into.

    The latter, I hate Monster of the Week too mate.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2010 11:11:03
    roz123 wrote:
    With Omar though it wasn't a random killing

    Kenard is the kid who argues with his friends over who gets to be Omar in one of the earlier seasons, which was an appropriate touch.
  • andywilkie35 3 Aug 2010 11:13:20 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    geeza2020 wrote:
    Re: the shield: I've always thought that it was just another cop show. Is it done on an episode by episode basis (like CSI etc) or does it have a story that covers a whole series? I need something i can really get my teeth into.

    The latter, I hate Monster of the Week too mate.

    The Shield is superb - essentially you have Vic and his team's overall story arc throughout, yet there is pretty much an individual case that Dutch and Wyms work on. Definitely worth getting into I'd say, I nearly bought the boxset for 45 at the weekend (borrowed them off my dad before), for that price it's a steal.

    PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

  • geeza2020 3 Aug 2010 11:20:58 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll have to see if i can watch a single episode of the shield somewhere before i buy the entire box set, im too scared to lay down that much on a show i have never seen :(
  • roz123 3 Aug 2010 11:26:16 7,113 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    I need to go back and watch the 5th series again because i sprinted through it and probably missed alot of the smaller details. IMO it was the worst one. With Omar though it wasn't a random killing because he had a huge bounty on his head, it did take me completly by surprise and it did feel like a shallow ending for such a great character

    Nah, it's not shallow, it's circular. The whole show is a study in the cyclical nature of life. Omar goes, but Michael is there to replace him. Bubbles gets clean, but Dukie is there to take his place.

    The critical scene that gives a hint at what's to come is the scene where Kenard first encounters Omar. Omar is injured after the Marlo crew attack, and is hobbling around on crutches after jumping out the window. Kenard looks him up and down, and says "that's Omar?". Kenard is less than impressed by how Omar appears, what with Omar being known as a legendary, superhuman stickup artist. Kenard being young, fearless and a bit mental, is not scared by Omar. That's why it's so easy for him to do what he does; he doesn't have the same fear of Omar as everyone else who's seen him in his prime.

    I cant remember the bit with Kernard and I guess that it adds to that scene, it just wasn't the heroes ending I expected for such a great character. I'm not complaining though its still probably the best TV series I have ever watched
  • andywilkie35 3 Aug 2010 11:30:22 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    I need to go back and watch the 5th series again because i sprinted through it and probably missed alot of the smaller details. IMO it was the worst one. With Omar though it wasn't a random killing because he had a huge bounty on his head, it did take me completly by surprise and it did feel like a shallow ending for such a great character

    Nah, it's not shallow, it's circular. The whole show is a study in the cyclical nature of life. Omar goes, but Michael is there to replace him. Bubbles gets clean, but Dukie is there to take his place.

    The critical scene that gives a hint at what's to come is the scene where Kenard first encounters Omar. Omar is injured after the Marlo crew attack, and is hobbling around on crutches after jumping out the window. Kenard looks him up and down, and says "that's Omar?". Kenard is less than impressed by how Omar appears, what with Omar being known as a legendary, superhuman stickup artist. Kenard being young, fearless and a bit mental, is not scared by Omar. That's why it's so easy for him to do what he does; he doesn't have the same fear of Omar as everyone else who's seen him in his prime.

    I cant remember the bit with Kernard and I guess that it adds to that scene, it just wasn't the heroes ending I expected for such a great character. I'm not complaining though its still probably the best TV series I have ever watched

    If I remember correctly, the scene is in Season 3, and is what sparks Bunk into tracking Omar down and having that massive rant at him, which for me and I believe a lot of people is one of the most pivotal scenes in the entire show if that helps :)

    PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

  • Deleted user 3 August 2010 11:30:25
  • Page

    of 56 First / Last

Log in or register to reply