The Wire

• Page

of 56 First / Last

Previous
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 13:47:47 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else seen this? Despite my losing battle against getting addicted to TV shows, and having heard many good reports and seeing it cheap in the shops, I got series 1, which I watched and loved to bits. Is series 2 up to the same standard? My pointer is hovering over the add to basket button here. Help me decide!
  • sam_spade 31 May 2006 13:49:31 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's all good! I've seen Season 3 which is ace, and a friend tells me 1 and 2 are great.
  • thehat 31 May 2006 13:50:41 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *hijack*

Hey sam, did you ever get hosting for your user guide?

*end hijack*
  • GingerMagician 31 May 2006 13:53:11 3,012 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At last, a fellow convert. Best thing on TV at the moment, by a country mile.

The characters, script and the language just get better and better.

Season two is absolutely top quality, as is the third, Can't wait for season four in the autumn - assuming FX show it shortly after it airs in the US.

• nick303 31 May 2006 13:53:46 1,525 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Anyone else seen this? Despite my losing battle against getting addicted to TV shows, and having heard many good reports and seeing it cheap in the shops, I got series 1, which I watched and loved to bits. Is series 2 up to the same standard? My pointer is hovering over the add to basket button here. Help me decide!

Season two is very different but jsut as good. I would say def buy it. You wont be sorry.
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 13:55:42 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm dying to know how McNulty gets out of the harbor patrol, (Im assuming he does) and does Greggs recover ok? Ahh, the sort of questions you have to ask but dont really want answered...
  • Huntcjna 31 May 2006 13:56:18 13,877 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Add's 'The Wire - Season 1' to screenselect rental queue priority 1

/clicks 'dispatch in order'

:)
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 13:58:38 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good man.

Is Bubble in series 2?

/Ordered now, woooo!

Edited by Universal Hamster at 14:02:45 31-05-2006
  • DoleScum 31 May 2006 14:05:26 573 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah bubble is in the second series, but of the 3- I found the 2nd series to be the worst mainly because I didnt like the dock worker characters.

That ziggy bloke I just wanted to die immediately.

But series 3 is fantastic so its worth bearing with the 2nd one
    Best cop show on tv I think, did you know Mcnulty and stringer bell are both english actors? You could never tell listening to their accents
  • nick303 31 May 2006 14:05:51 1,525 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Good man.

Is Bubble in series 2?

/Ordered now, woooo!

Edited by Universal Hamster at 14:02:45 31-05-2006

He is indeed
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 14:10:18 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found out McNulty was a while ago, and I still cant beleive it. Stringer too? Mental.
    Good news about Bubs, probably my favorite character.

/Goes fishing for drugs.
  • Deleted user 31 May 2006 14:17:12
    I 'got hold of' the first series about 6 months ago when a mate told me it was addictive as crack which was appropriate as it was about narcotic cops (or something) but I've still not watched more than the first 5 minutes as I got distracted.

It will have to take the place of Lost, Prison Break, Battlestar Galactica and 24 now they've ALL finished :(
  • THFourteen 31 May 2006 14:18:19 33,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    on series 3 at the mo, enjoying it but not finding it awesome or anything. often fall asleep during it if i'm tired.

but then i like the shield so probly explains why.
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 14:20:42 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The tricky thing about the show for me was getting into the police jargon. I've never watched any cop shows before, and the wire doesnt make any concessions to explaining these things, (A good thing undoubtedly, though I'd love a "Queens english" subtitle option sometimes!) so it took me a few episodes to get into. After that, I was hooked.
    Also, how great is the opening music? Who is that?
  • THFourteen 31 May 2006 14:21:46 33,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    The tricky thing about the show for me was getting into the police jargon. I've never watched any cop shows before, and the wire doesnt make any concessions to explaining these things, (A good thing undoubtedly, though I'd love a "Queens english" subtitle option sometimes!) so it took me a few episodes to get into. After that, I was hooked.
    Also, how great is the opening music? Who is that?
    i grew up playing police quest 1-4

:)
  • DoleScum 31 May 2006 14:22:28 573 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you love this then you should see 'the corner'
    another David simon series, essentially more indepth into the drug dealers and the addicts lives. Really amazing
  • Universal_Hamster 31 May 2006 14:27:48 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dont tempt me further!

/Runs away from the monster he created.
  • Universal_Hamster 3 Jun 2006 19:33:41 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok, I need-reassurnce. I have just received my season 2 set, but as I am re-watching series 1, (To keep myself up to speed on whats happening) I wont get to see it for a few days.

On the box, where on the previous season it said "18", this season has a hideous little "15" rating sticker. Please tell me they havent dumbed it down or softened it up. I want swearing enough to make a docker blush, dammit!
  • darkmorgado 3 Jun 2006 21:27:39 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Series 2 was fan-bloody-tastic. Better than the 3rd, i reckoned. Quality ending too.

DoleScum wrote:
    But series 3 is fantastic so its worth bearing with the 2nd one
    Best cop show on tv I think, did you know Mcnulty and stringer bell are both english actors? You could never tell listening to their accents

Really? Blimey. Stringer Bell is one of the best tv bad guys I've seen in a long time.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Universal_Hamster 6 Jun 2006 11:06:25 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im now nearly finished Series 2, I had a day off yesterday and I'm reluctant to say how many episodes I watched :-/

*SPOILERS AVOIDED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BUT THERE ARE SOME*

Just have to say wow, or perhaps fucking wow is more appropriate.
    I honestly didnt think they would even get close to the splendidness of series 1, but its totally a match for it. Its not quite as tight and focussed, but the broader view on the city's criminal activity is equally engrossing. The dock characters do take some adjusting to, they're a far cry from the Barksdale crew thats for sure, but Sobatka is a great character, a real shades of grey type, and superbly acted. Ziggy is indeed an industrial-grade twat, but he's supposed to be. Having said that, he has made me laugh a few times, (The duck, the fight.) and what happens with him towards the end made me leave my seat.
    And the series isnt short of seat-leaving superb moments, its even better than the first in this respect. Omar in court, Prez losing his cool, the tennis-ball bug, McNulty's big night out, his attempt at an english accent, (Its an english actor acting an american acting english! My brain hurts) the raid on the brothel, D'Angelo and Stringer, etc etc. Great googally-moogally I love this show.

Although they ruined the title music. >8-(

Last 2 episodes to go tonight.
    /Counts hours.

Edited by Universal Hamster at 11:37:59 06-06-2006
  • darkmorgado 6 Jun 2006 15:21:13 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup - shame about the music :(

Still - you're in for a treat tonight.... great ending to the series!

And then it's on to Series 3 for a return to the Barksdale gang and a few loose ends being tied up ;)

• Universal_Hamster 6 Jun 2006 15:30:23 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yEEhaw!
    I love how the Barksdale side of the story has been continued alongside the current storyline. I'm looking forward to them tangling with the "Ballmer po-lice" again.

Any clue as to when S3 is out on DVD? (I Hate watching tv)
    Have they changed the music again for series 3? The S2 music really is atrocious.
  • Dougs 6 Jun 2006 15:34:54 68,474 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I endeavour to get into this as soon as the World Cup and 24 has finished
  • darkmorgado 6 Jun 2006 15:36:55 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I spent the first half of S2 waiting for the 2 storylines to tie together... but it's just there to set things up for S3. Barksdale's mob don't just have the Ball-moor police to worry about either in the next one. Prop Joe and a new kid who fancies himself as a gang leader are causing problems too... Great stuff.

Can't find anywhere with a release date for S3 unfortunately :(

And yup - the music has changed again. Still not as good as the original though.

Honestly - you'll love the ending... and i guarantee there'll be a point where you end up shouting "No! Aaaagh! For God's sake man, turn around!" at the telly :D

• GingerMagician 6 Jun 2006 15:45:07 3,012 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love it when this thread pops up on the front page. Always make me remember something from the series and makes me smile.

What an unbelievably good series The Wire is. Loved the way season three bring lots of story elements together, but still leaves you pining for season four.

Season two is probably my favourite in terms of scope and ambition though. It's feels really angry about the situation the characters find themselves in, particularly when it's their economic circumstance that has put them there.

"Shit is fucked" - Bunk
  • Universal_Hamster 6 Jun 2006 15:51:24 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Honestly - you'll love the ending... and i guarantee there'll be a point where you end up shouting "No! Aaaagh! For God's sake man, turn around!" at the telly :D
    You have now officially said too much!
    /Tries to forget.

AAAAGGHHH! Jesus Christ! Does someone die? Dont tell me!

Edited by Universal Hamster at 15:54:37 06-06-2006
  • darkmorgado 6 Jun 2006 15:59:05 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    You have now officially said too much!
    /Tries to forget.

AAAAGGHHH! Jesus Christ! Does someone die? Dont tell me!

Edited by Universal Hamster at 15:54:37 06-06-2006

Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

Can still taunt you for a whole hour! :D

• Universal_Hamster 6 Jun 2006 16:04:40 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You so evil...
    That "muscle" that Avon brings in towards the end of S2, (Cant remember the name though, its "Brother" something) how freakishly weird is he? He's like something out of a movie. Superb though.
  • GingerMagician 6 Jun 2006 16:08:00 3,012 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    You so evil...
    That "muscle" that Avon brings in towards the end of S2, (Cant remember the name though, its "Brother" something) how freakishly weird is he? He's like something out of a movie. Superb though.
    *UNSURPRISING VERY MINOR SPOILER*

That's not the last you'll see of him......
  • GingerMagician 6 Jun 2006 16:18:10 3,012 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    You so evil...
    He's called Brother Mouzone, btw. Nation of Islam hitmen ftw!
  • Page

of 56 First / Last

Previous