Why are hardcore gamers so damn elitist?

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 30 May 2006 12:44:29
    The new Superman movie isn't a remake.

There've always been crappy film adaptations. I'd argue that they're better than they were in the old Ocean/Domark(?) days though.
  • sam_spade 30 May 2006 12:45:00 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't hang around with hardcore music and film fans do you?
  • Dirtbox 30 May 2006 12:47:26 78,154 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You've stumbled on the most elitest forum on the internet.Guarenteed if there's a form of media or way of transmitting/playng it, someone here will know more than you.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:47:43 30-05-2006

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Pike 30 May 2006 12:48:37 13,446 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You've stumbled on the most elitest forum on the internet.

Visited RPGCodex lately?
  • sam_spade 30 May 2006 12:51:50 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    albundy wrote:
    sam_spade wrote:
    What do you mean by that? That they make the same complaints?

No, they are just a divisive about their medium as gamers are. They just complain about different things, whether something is Too Hollywood, or Too Mainstream or Too Niche or Too Arty.
  • Dirtbox 30 May 2006 12:52:03 78,154 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're RPG elitest, we're multil33t.

• marilena 30 May 2006 12:53:14 8,203 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hardcore people, in any area, have the same behavior. Hardcore readers (although nobody calles them that) and hardcore moviegoers (or whatever they are called) are exactly like hardcore gamers. It's a matter of being more knowledgeable and picky.

I consider myself to be pretty hardcore in my reading, film watching and gaming, but completely casual when it comes to music. I try to understand casual gamers, but that doesn't mean I enjoy playing the same things as them.
  • MetalDog 30 May 2006 12:53:49 23,697 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    People want different things out of their games. I'm really not that fussed about the graphical and physics leaps - they're nice, but they're not why I play. I tend to set more store by increases in flexibility of playstyle, new stories and characters with depth. Other people want other things.

Unless a game satisfies what everyone wants (nigh impossible) you'll always have detractors and there are no detractors quite so vocal as geeks and nerds. There's also the problem of people wanting to recapture the feelings they had the first time they played X - these feelings will get rarer the more you play, because you're not encountering everything with that first time wow-factor.

Lastly, game design is like writing novels, running the country and directing movies - almost everyone thinks they can do it, which makes them more critical than they would be of something they know they can't do.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• York 30 May 2006 12:54:42 8,667 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pike 30 May 2006 12:55:21 13,446 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    They're RPG elitest, we're multil33t.

Ok, I'll give you that.

Also you couldn't accuse the RPGCodex inhabitants of demanding continous gaming revolutions.
  • Freek 30 May 2006 12:57:53 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    albundy wrote:
    sam_spade wrote:
    What do you mean by that? That they make the same complaints?

Smashed the head of the nail.
    You see reports on lazy remakes and shitty sequals all the time on movie sites. They even have the even more horrible straight to DVD or straight to TV sequal.
    And lets not ignore the endless moaning about sell out bands and mainstream hip hop that music fans hate so much.

Everybody is the same; if you are pasionate about something you demand quality. Quality that is often overlooked in the rush to cash in on the masses.

But as with game fans if the sequal or remake is actaully good, then there are no complaints. It just that isn't the case verry often.
    Superman Returns, Resident Evil Remake NGC, good bring it on.
    American Pie 5, Italian Job remake, Driver 3, no thanks.

Edited by Freek at 12:59:41 30-05-2006
  • Huntcjna 30 May 2006 12:58:27 13,876 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How is it you are even posting here? Haven't you been banned umpteen times already or am I mixing you up with another bundy.
  • Dirtbox 30 May 2006 12:59:50 78,154 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    How is it you are even posting here? Haven't you been banned umpteen times already or am I mixing you up with another bundy.
    Not the same person. And Bunda wasn't banned, he asked to be GI'd to get on with his studying.

• The_Aardvark 30 May 2006 13:01:58 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Although mainstream movies and mainstream music, like mainstream games, are dominated by the same old shit, they at least have a vibrant, innovative underground which constantly feeds new ideas into tired formulas.

Underground gaming, by comparison, is a tiny, shrivelled little nubbin where talented, passionate digital artists go to die from lack of public interested.
  • BartonFink 30 May 2006 13:03:33 34,912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /awaits inevitable influx of Nintendites claiming that ninty games are the h4rd3s+ of the c0r3.
  • MetalDog 30 May 2006 13:06:09 23,697 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ninty have done their fair share of dead-horse flogging rehashes. Who hasn't?

• Pike 30 May 2006 13:07:45 13,446 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Ninty have done their fair share of dead-horse flogging rehashes.

Understatement of the year?

I think it's a contender.
  • MetalDog 30 May 2006 13:14:09 23,697 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EuroTV wrote:
    albundy wrote:
    Do you not realise that there are only so many ideas that can be created?

WRONG. And we probably ask more from video games because they are evolving in a much faster and more exciting way than the film or music industry.

Actually he's right. There /are/ only so many ideas around, the same as there only a limited number of plots when you boil everything right down to basics. What makes the difference is the execution of those ideas.

• Load_2.0 30 May 2006 13:14:14 19,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dude throw some of that commision this way. Its like a one man 360 advertising campaign.
  • The_Aardvark 30 May 2006 13:20:05 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Actually he's right. There /are/ only so many ideas around, the same as there only a limited number of plots when you boil everything right down to basics. What makes the difference is the execution of those ideas.

With music though new technologies - the electric guitar, the synthesizer, the sampler - have enabled whole new genres to be created.

There's only so many plots, true, but games are primarily an interactive not a story-telling medium and new technologies continued to open up completely new ways to play.
  • The_Aardvark 30 May 2006 13:22:45 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    albundy wrote:
    Exactly. I give you the Pokemon > Pikmin [snip] legacy.

You think?

Maybe lemmings>pikmin

or even

super mario 64 + Dune 2 > Pikmin

Edited by The_Aardvark at 13:23:10 30-05-2006
  • Load_2.0 30 May 2006 13:35:11 19,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    5 Max. We have "been here, done this" enough.
  • kalel 30 May 2006 13:36:02 87,627 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I predict the word 'cunt' will be used within one page, and a comparison with Nazi Germany before the day is out.
  • The_Aardvark 30 May 2006 13:36:39 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    albundy wrote:
    You know what I think of the Wii. Fad. People talk about Nintendo's legacy of influencing controller designs? Nah. The D-Pad, granted, I'll give them that. But the analogue stick? Nope. That was done already (and very, very badly) on an Atari machine that I can't remember. And anyway, the analogue stick is just a mini version of those joysticks people used to use in the 80's. And then people go on about face buttons and shoulder buttons? Hello! That's just called 'adding more stuff = more functionality'. Gamepads already had buttons. Nintendo simply had the 'brainwave' of saying "if we build more into the controller, then we can program our characters to pull off more moves!". Hardly Einstein. It's no more 'revolutionary' than the guy ho decided that the Xbox 360 controller should have a 'nipple' that lets you go straight to the dashboard. In short, the ability for the Wiimote to influence game direction is vastly overstated, in my opinion.

Dead inside.
  • Freek 30 May 2006 13:37:32 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People comming back from E3 having played with the thing paint a vastly different picture. The Wii is has vast amounts of potential as it focusses on how games are played and interacted with.
    A little bitt more then just a hotlink button.

Plus they've also made it a simpel machine to program for. By not having it be the mega uber bleeding edge machine in terms of proccesing power you create an enviroment that is cheaper and easier to develope for.
    Means it's a low risk enviroment to bring games with new ideas to.

Edited by Freek at 13:40:27 30-05-2006
  • kalel 30 May 2006 13:38:11 87,627 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completely agree with him as it goes Aadvark...cunt.
  • The_Aardvark 30 May 2006 13:38:47 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I completely agree with him as it goes Aadvark...cunt.

You, sir, are worse than Hitler.
  • kalel 30 May 2006 13:39:14 87,627 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/
  • Load_2.0 30 May 2006 13:40:30 19,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Self-fulfilling prophecy FTW!
  • Tonka 30 May 2006 13:42:21 20,411 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey Al, read this. I think you will like it. It's on hardcore gaming and Nintendo innovation.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous