Tales of Symphonia Page 15

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 16 November 2009 14:27:45
    Yeah I know bizarre, suddenly felt like checking it again having not played in a bit, cheers boabg, PM sent.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 13 Feb 2010 15:12:48 97 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just completed this game last week, so I thought I'd drop in and make a mention of how seriously mindblowingly good this game is. I thought I'd give it a go again since I found a bit of a quiet spell (bought it off my chum late 2008, but never got a chance to play it properly until now because of all the 360 and PS3 games coming out) and it instantly captured my imagination.

To begin with, the storyline and the cast are - whilst a tad familiar - extremely absorbing and really manage to rip the heart out of your chest. Bearing a lot of resemblance to Yuna's pilgrimage in Final Fantasy X, the story (at the start anyway) is a fairly simple affair of 'tour the world, see the sights, get to point x and save humanity', but starting off with a simple concept like that really gives it focus and a sense of progression. Inevitably, it starts to twist and turn and gain layers of complexity after a short while, but that adventurous spirit never ever leaves you from the word go and that's a precious thing. There's also a strong comedial element present throughout the story - mostly by virtue of the frequent 'team-talks', where Lloyd makes an idiotic suggestion or Raine goes on a historian's rant - which really gives it pep and light relief.

The characters themselves are wonderfully varied and unique, and the fantastically humorous interplay (Lloyd always catching stick from Genis for being a dumbass, par examplé) serves to endear them more and more. In addition, the game has countless side-quests along the way which flesh out the characters' histories and help to make the gamer sympathise with their causes.

I'm not really into RPG voice-overs all that much, but ToS certainly flies the flag for the cause very well. Although there are the occasional uncomfortably embarrasing bits of dialogue (mostly involving Colette, overenthusiasm from the voice actor makes her saccharine sweet character a bit cringeworthy), most of the time it was convincing enough for me to take it seriously, or make me laugh out loud.

Combat is often where people find themselves put off by JRPGs, but the absence of random, turn-based battles and the implementation of a pseudo-beat 'em up style fighting system gives it plenty of life and action. Although you find yourself a bit confused by the fast pace of it in the initial parts of the game, after you get to grips with skills and chaining the battlefield can turn into a graceful display of acrobatics and pyrotechnics. It all moves along so beautifully and smooth that it's hard not to stop and admire it sometimes, although some of the boss battles can find you completely devastated if you aren't paying attention.

The game world itself is vibrantly organic, and so superbly detailed at times that I thought some parts were pre-rendered (it's actually all in cel-shaded 3D). The EG reviewer thought the music fell a little flat at times, and, whilst I agree that the score isn't as grandiose as a Final Fantasy composition, a lot of the music (especially in the latter 2/3 of the game, starting from Asgard) was excellent.

Only a couple of niggly things about the game stood out for me - the first of which is that some of the in-engine action cutscenes were badly edited, with long pauses and a few dodgy effects that made me feel confused. Also, I felt that a couple of the characters appeared too late in the game (I'm talking 20-30 hours in, here) and thus suffered on account of me becoming too familiar with the initial set of characters and largely ignoring the latter ones.

Well, this turned into quite the tome, but I really did get enthusiastic about this game. I know it costs a lot of monies these days, as much as a new game almost, but I'd have to say this game justifies it. It did have the effect of pulling me off my PS3 and X360, after all.
  • RetardStrong 17 Feb 2010 14:18:02 3,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I've spent a couple of evenings playing ToS and I'm really disappointed with it. I don't think the graphics are that exceptional, to be honest. The music is irritating. The plot and characters so far are hopelessly generic. And it's a fantastic demonstration of just why strategic turn-based combat is so crucial to JRPG enjoyment. Without enjoyable combat, the whole experience turns into a chore. Combat in ToS is a horrible mess, involving no thought or planning as far as I can see. :(

I'd say it's more like this.

Wait people actually pay money for this turd?

/ebays
  • Tonka 17 Feb 2010 14:22:55 20,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surprised to see that ToS is a marmite game. I loved it personally. Really enjoyed the fighting.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• RetardStrong 17 Feb 2010 14:24:36 3,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You mean maching buttons until you win :-P
  • Tonka 17 Feb 2010 14:27:56 20,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, that would be FFXII.

• Sharks 17 Feb 2010 14:29:38 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's great. Unpretentiously sumptuous, ridiculously fun battles and, I don't care what anyone says, an awesome soundtrack.

But I'd recommend Vesperia over it in every way.
  • RetardStrong 17 Feb 2010 14:32:00 3,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    No, that would be FFXII.

I see what you did there :-P I meant mashing buttons of course.
  • Tonka 17 Feb 2010 15:22:24 20,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My dyslexia let that one through tbh. That said, button mashing would have been a nice addition to FFXII. That would give you something to do instead of staring slack jawed at the biggest waste of assets in video gaming history.

• RetardStrong 17 Feb 2010 16:13:39 3,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well you had to push an analog stick in a direction... which is something I suppose
  • Tetsuo_Shima 17 Feb 2010 21:07:25 97 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I tried that mashing buttons carry on, but it didn't get me very far. Using block to open up chances and then unleashing a furious combo is the way forward. If you really are finding you can mash your way through the game, try switching it to hard mode and let's see how you do.
  • Humperfunk 28 Feb 2014 11:34:24 2,052 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MEGA BUMP

Chronicles HD is out today \o/

Just booted it up, found save date for Graces f and Xillia so gave me a few rewards which was nice.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Tonka 28 Feb 2014 11:46:43 20,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuckit.

I was about to put my GC copy up for sale to fund my LEGo collection. I'm guessing this will send prices down.

• Ror1984 28 Feb 2014 11:51:14 3,010 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Humperfunk What did it give you? Costumes?

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Cappy 28 Feb 2014 11:56:50 11,875 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Fuckit.

I was about to put my GC copy up for sale to fund my LEGo collection. I'm guessing this will send prices down.
    Probably not, the PS3 version is a lousy port of a lousy port that's locked at 30FPS versus the 60FPS of the original Gamecube version.

To further compound what is already a disgrace they've done little to minimal work on low res textures but at the same time taken out cel shading filter effects on the PS3 version so it's not even an improvement graphically.

It's kind of apt since the PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia was a contender for worst port to the PS2 of the entire generation, now it disappoints on the PS3.

Edited by Cappy at 11:57:50 28-02-2014
  • Humperfunk 28 Feb 2014 11:57:07 2,052 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah mate, for those two game saves it gave me costumes for Graces f, Abyss, Vesperia and Xillia 1 & 2

Not that I'll actually use them but still!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Ror1984 28 Feb 2014 12:08:47 3,010 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers. I've seen pics of those and they look a little strange on the more SD-style Symphonia characters. Still, I'll take them!

• Tonka 28 Feb 2014 12:41:36 20,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy YAY!

good news then. Cheers Cappy.

• TheMayorOfJugs 7 Jun 2014 13:59:05 3,290 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finally got round to starting this after finishing Xillia. The HD update isn't really..... Much of an update, graphically, on ps3 anyway. Regardless, it's fun, even though I was expecting the battle system to be a bit more modern. Can't get over the fact that Lloyd's voice actor is Robin from Teen Titans though. I'm a bit younger than the rest of you so you might never make that connection, but it's really jarring and immersion breaking when he speaks. I'm expecting *Titans! GO!* every time he opens his mouth. Only bought the first game, is the sequel really as terrible as is it's made out to be?
  • Ror1984 7 Jun 2014 14:21:38 3,010 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    I'm a bit younger than the rest of you...
    Alright, don't rub it in.

Edited by Ror1984 at 14:22:16 07-06-2014

• TheMayorOfJugs 7 Jun 2014 14:29:59 3,290 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    I'm a bit younger than the rest of you...
    Alright, don't rub it in.
    Not something to be proud of an internet forum :D
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Next