Tales of Symphonia Page 2

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Scimarad 30 Jun 2004 16:25:08 8,547 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's even worse than that with me - My Cube is plugged in, I just haven't bothered to switch it on in ages...
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jun 2004 16:27:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not alone!

\o/
  • Hicksy 8 Jul 2004 10:32:56 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    seems that this is getting a nice spread of positive reviews over at gamerankings.

with a little luch i will be posting my freeloader enabled opinions of the game next week : ) (or possibly the one following depending on shipping)

• Hicksy 27 Jul 2004 11:58:08 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    good news!

have been playing this for 3hrs last night using Freeloader with no problems : )

and infact, it's rather good! the battle system is a lot of fun, the graphics ae great, it's quirky in a good kind of way and the game seems highly polished. the only bad thing was that interactivity with the environment seems very limited.

i shall let you know how i get on with it as i think this will be getting a lot of hours play this week / weekend. feels great to have found a reason to enjoy the cube again after so long!

:D
  • Decoded 27 Jul 2004 12:04:18 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice one! The family are off to Florida next week, will have to put this on my "missing out on holiday sympathy list".

/dusts off Cube
  • Hicksy 27 Jul 2004 12:12:42 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    it's a very charming game

in fact i find myself at work looking forward to playing it again which is always a good sign!

Paper Mario 2 also looks superb so pre-ordered that last night

nice to see the cube getting a few quality games again which are cube only releases

i think the closest game tales reminds me of is a modern secret of mana...
  • yegon 27 Jul 2004 12:21:59 5,269 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Please tell me its realtime. Well?
  • Hicksy 27 Jul 2004 12:38:17 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is realtime with an option to freeze-time to issue commands etc. It plays out very well in combat and i find it more interesting than FF-type combat. It's a nice mix of trying to be responsive to enemy movement and the AI assisting in a reasonable way. You also end up considering area effect - i've leave the long-range and magic combat to the ai and focus on the close combat as it seems the fastest way to dispatch enemies. Battles are not random and are indicated on maps by moving tokens which can rush you which represent an enemy group. it's all quite groovy :)
  • Hicksy 27 Jul 2004 12:40:26 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    so far it's all seemed quite linear with limited exploring but then i am still in very early stages... shall report on how things pan out more towards the ned of the week : )

and it's not particularly twitchy - for close combat it's timed button mashing and pattern movement : )
  • yegon 27 Jul 2004 12:40:46 5,269 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent. Looks like I'll pick it up some time then. I've got a Jap/US Cube so importing isn;t a problem.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Jul 2004 13:12:09 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool. Looking forward to this one!

/gets out duster
    /tries to find Cube in 'cupboard of doom'
  • Hicksy 2 Aug 2004 12:54:51 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now 8hrs in and still going strong. It's SUCH a good game - Secret of Mana meets Final Fantasy 7 (semi-random battles) meet Nintendoesque charm = GREAT game.

Still enjoying the combat - characters are levelling well and story is coming along nicely : )
  • Hicksy 9 Aug 2004 11:26:20 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    14hrs in now and still loving it to bits : )

character development is great! battles are getting extremely interesting, especially the boss battles - actually died a few times *_*

still extremely impressed by the graphics and sound and... well it's just great ok :D
  • Blerk Moderator 9 Aug 2004 11:32:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey, I'm trying to leave here - don't go posting about JRPGs!

:-)
  • Decoded 9 Aug 2004 11:34:28 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Symphonia got a nice review at ntsc-uk over the weekend, which makes me even more anxious to play it. I've got my RPG love back in full flow again after sinking 34 hours into the brilliant Suikoden III since I started that on Wednesday.

It's going to be a great Q4 for RPGs with this, Shadow Hearts 2 and Star Ocean 3 \o/
  • Hicksy 9 Aug 2004 11:37:19 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I honestly think it's the most charming game of this type I have played since Secret of Mana

Can't help but get caught up in a cute kids against the world story!
  • itamae 9 Aug 2004 11:55:57 9,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    Symphonia got a nice review at ntsc-uk over the weekend, which makes me even more anxious to play it. I've got my RPG love back in full flow again after sinking 34 hours into the brilliant Suikoden III since I started that on Wednesday.

It's going to be a great Q4 for RPGs with this, Shadow Hearts 2 and Star Ocean 3 \o/

\o/ indeed.

The story-telling in Suikoden III is brilliant, isn't it? Shame though that they completely messed up the ending.

I've just read the IGN (I know I know) review of Star Ocean III and now I'm drooling with anticipation.

Anyway, Tales of Symphonia... is there a PAL release date yet? I'm afraid I'm such a lazy bastard that I won't bother using a boot disc.

Mmh, I sound like a badly written telegram today.

Need to focus.

/melts
  • Decoded 9 Aug 2004 12:37:36 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    "The story-telling in Suikoden III is brilliant, isn't it? Shame though that they completely messed up the ending."

Oh it's superb and the characters are just fantastic. The trinity sight system works a treat too. I just love it, I haven't been so engrossed and immersed in a videogame since...ever, maybe. Haven't finished it yet but now I know not to await the ending with any degree of anticipation ;-)

"I've just read the IGN (I know I know) review of Star Ocean III and now I'm drooling with anticipation."

/looks

"Anyway, Tales of Symphonia... is there a PAL release date yet?"

Not sure. I think it was reported earlier this year that there would be a PAL release in late 2004, but I have my doubts. If my sister can't pick me up a copy in the US then I may wait. Perhaps.

Edited by Decoded at 11:40:44 09-08-2004
  • itamae 9 Aug 2004 15:30:03 9,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decoded wrote:

"Anyway, Tales of Symphonia... is there a PAL release date yet?"

Not sure. I think it was reported earlier this year that there would be a PAL release in late 2004, but I have my doubts. If my sister can't pick me up a copy in the US then I may wait. Perhaps.

Ah yes thanks, I've just checked the Nintendo homepage and they say Q4 2004 too, along with Paper Mario 2 by the way.
    I've just preordered Star Ocean 3, the games draught is really remarkable right now, I've actually managed to get right of my whole "unplayed games" pile and finished Final Fantasy X-2 for the second time. Although right now it's ice tea and GBA time anyway.
  • Decoded 10 Aug 2004 11:02:36 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tales of Symphonia scored 9/10 on Game Central this morning (UK Channel 4, Teletext page 378) and they stated the PAL release was due November. Let's hope they're correct \o/
  • Neverness 10 Aug 2004 11:14:31 1,186 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heres my standard link to the NTSC-UK review.

Little bro has been raving over this for ages now, and the only RPG he has ever played is FF7. It seems to be one of those games that steals the week away from you (if you have the time), and at approximatly 80 hours game time is too short would you believe. Good review as well.

Edited by Neverness at 10:14:53 10-08-2004
  • Hicksy 18 Aug 2004 11:38:26 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    just went past the 30hr mark last night and STILL not onto the 2nd disk! O_o

i'm still clocking up around 2hrs a night and not getting bored which is praise enough - the plot keeps twisting and turning - the fighting is still not stale - the graphics continue to impress me - especially new towns and locations

the interplay between characters has at times also made me laugh outloud, tears have welled (seriously!) and i've become quite attached to most of them :)

the best rpg released since KOTR?

a resounding YES!

getit getit getit!
  • Epitaph 18 Aug 2004 13:27:39 860 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And for those Freeloader-less plebs (incl me) Cube Europe has the European release date on it's site.

God November's gonna be a killer. Paper Mario, ToS and Metroid Prime 2...me poor wallet
  • Decoded 18 Aug 2004 14:00:34 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    The PAL version will almost certainly be 50hz and therefore add around 1/5th to your playing time. I hadn't really considered this before, but it all adds up over several games and I don't have the time to waste.

/waits for Freeloader to arrive
  • Decoded 22 Aug 2004 12:30:23 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Decoded 22 Aug 2004 21:20:43 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Question for Hicksy (if he's around) or anyone else currently playing: What's the deal with cooking? Can you only prepare food after battle and what purpose does it serve?

Anyway, enjoying the game very much so far, although not at all comfortable with the button-bashing confuse-fest that is the fighting. I'm set in my ways with the more standard turn-based combat, but unlike .hack this game is interesting enough to encourage perseverance with it. Still, I hate not getting things :-)
  • Hicksy 23 Aug 2004 10:59:46 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The cooking is a bit odd. Basically from most of the monsters (especially those you find in the 'field') you will get various ingredients. As you play keep an eye out for funny objects in the fixed environments (towns etc.) - some objects when activated will turn into the mast chef - he will teach you new recipes. You can then cook either at the end of a battle (if you have the correct ingredients) to refresh characters by a certain amount of HP / TP or you can cook through the menu system at any time to do the same.

The combat takes a bit of getting used to. Depending on what character you choose to play. I tend to let the AI deal with spell casters and long-range attackers. I then use Lloyd for maximum damage and area effect - i.e. if there are opposition spell casters i will target them to destroy, else i will target the centre of a group of enemies and make him the target for enemy damage and use area effect attacks like spin attack to hit multiple enemies surrounding him. It seems to be the quickets way to dispatch groups. Also use the formation options in the menu system to assign certain characters preferences to back off or wade in with the AI.

Hope the tips help and enjoy the story as it unfolds :D
  • Hicksy 23 Aug 2004 14:13:17 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bumpage for decoded :)
  • Decoded 23 Aug 2004 14:41:11 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the bump - didn't see this thread at all when I posted earlier.

Anyway, I looked around the in-game menus bit and discovered that currently my sandwich only heals 9% of HP and 5% of TP. Seems pretty poor considering the cost of the food used to make it - probably better off using a gel at this point.

The fighting is okay, looks nice and feels very slick but I'm just used to turn-based combat and controlling the entire party. I found it strange how the game threw you into a few tough battles early on without any tutorial and scant healing items. Made it without dying though \o/

Looking forward to playing some more. Cheers for the help :-)
  • Hicksy 23 Aug 2004 18:01:49 2,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    enjoy :)

don't worry too much about cooking because you will get party members with healing abilities so it will not be too much of an issue ^_^
  • Page

of 15 First / Last