Dead 360

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Kotano 24 May 2006 11:40:05 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My 360 passed away on Monday morning, after an increasingly annoying bout of crashes both in game and finally on the desktop.
    Then came the dreaded flashing red lights surrounding the power button, and it was game over.

The point of this thread is to say that I have just returned from Game with a new premium pack, WITH my original hard drive (thank god!).

Should your machine fail you too, and you bought it from Game, it appears they have changed their procedure regarding swapping hard drives with premium packs. Either that, or I had a very helpful store manager who was prepared to fight my corner. It's a hell of a lot quicker than returning it to Microsoft by mail.

Let us pray you never see red...
  • Satan 24 May 2006 12:04:37 137 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool.

I've seen the red once, but it was okay after a boot.
  • Kotano 24 May 2006 12:08:45 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully that'll be it. My machine was crashing quite a lot running up to the End, I guess whatever the problem it got progressivley worse, so keep an eye out...
  • Whizzo 24 May 2006 12:44:11 43,275 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good to see you're up and running again, up for some GRAW this evening?

This space left intentionally blank.

• Retroid Moderator 24 May 2006 13:00:55 45,284 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    \o/ (to both!)
  • Kotano 24 May 2006 13:53:01 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EuroTV wrote:
    How long did your xbox work before it died?

I'm worried because I saw one red light today, and something saying contact microsft. I turned it off and on and it's working fine, so hopefully just a small glitch. Been playing it a hell of a lot over the past two months, and has given me very little grief so far. My precious achievement points and save! I can't lose them.

Glad everything has worked out for you though.

I only got the red lights at the very end, when it wouldn't even load the start up 360 logo without freezing and pixelating. I had been playing a lot of Oblivion lately and it's been crashing quite a lot during that.
    I was praying that my saves and downloads would still be there too - not sure i could face ploughing all those hours back into Oblivion again!

Fingers crossed yours is fine.
  • Kotano 24 May 2006 13:55:57 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

Cheers Whizzo! I'm glad too, but alas, won't be around for GRAW for a couple of days as we've got guests staying with us - don't think the sounds of war from the front room will go down to well with all concerned!

I'll keep a look out for you all when I'm free again, possibly Sunday/Monday...
  • KingOfSpain 24 May 2006 17:01:15 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    glad to see you didnt get fuck about too much. I had heard some very good things about MS customer service, That is till my 360 showed the 3 red lights of doom.

For those who cant be arsed to read 3 pages... it took over 3 week for them to even pick the bastard thing up. However, once they did i had it back in 3 days.

Edited by KingOfSpain at 17:02:04 24-05-2006
  • Xerx3s 24 May 2006 17:06:12 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, did you notice any differences? Noise and such?
  • MrSensible 24 May 2006 17:38:20 25,298 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kotano wrote:
    Either that, or I had a very helpful store manager

I'd say this is most likely. We were told not to swap them, but I'm sure most places will as it's bloody harsh not to!
  • Raid 24 May 2006 17:42:57 980 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 360 has been slowly dying over the past few weeks, and it finally passed on a few days back. Called customer services today, and they've given me a UPS label to return it. Hopefully they'll keep to their 14 day return policy, then everything shall be peachy.
  • BlackSentoki 24 May 2006 18:15:48 917 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a 360 on launch, which died the following day. The replacement died within 40 minutes of receiving it, then the next replacement worked fine until last week, when it died too.

So I'm on my fourth XBox 360. They're great consoles, but good lord I've had some bad luck with them.
  • mr_steve100 24 May 2006 18:30:40 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it policy for the retailers not to let you keep your old HDD? What about your saved games and other stuff that might be on there?

Is it possible to get them to copy the important stuff over for you? Maybe using a memory stick?

• Xerx3s 24 May 2006 18:38:17 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BlackSentoki wrote:
    I bought a 360 on launch, which died the following day. The replacement died within 40 minutes of receiving it, then the next replacement worked fine until last week, when it died too.

So I'm on my fourth XBox 360. They're great consoles, but good lord I've had some bad luck with them.

0_o

Wow, talk about a losing streak. :\
  • espadachin 22 Jun 2006 08:47:31 2,210 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    well, now my 360 is fucked..... :(
    turn on, play for 10 minutes, crash. rinse, repeat....
    luckily i bought mine at the same place as kotano and the manager of game is swapping mine for new on monday and im keeping my old hard drive, which is handy!
    how many have died now? it must be quite a few of us on here

Edited by espadachin at 08:50:03 22-06-2006
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Jun 2006 09:35:13 45,284 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :(
  • mingster 22 Jun 2006 10:03:00 3,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anybody who has bought an xbox NOT have their machine replaced?

From what i've seen in Eurogamer forum it seem s a very high percentage of you have replaced your consoles.

Does any one else find this a bit disturbing?

Also have they sorted out the fan noise on the newer models yet?
  • [maven] 22 Jun 2006 10:04:22 5,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    espadachin, it senses the imminent arrival of the GRAW pack... ;)

Mine's still working, picket up at launch...
    /knock on wood.
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Jun 2006 10:08:52 45,284 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine's still fine and I got it in january :)
    [maven] wrote:
    /knock on wood.
    BAN THIS SICK FILTH
  • espadachin 22 Jun 2006 10:21:04 2,210 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    i know, i know, its messing with me, bloody thing!
  • Inquisitor Moderator 22 Jun 2006 11:41:54 14,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was thinking of getting a 360 for my birthday, but all these horror stories have put me right off.
  • pjmaybe 22 Jun 2006 11:43:31 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    to balance things out (rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot, touching wood, cuddling four leaf clover and throwing a black cat back and forth across the road) mine's been fine since I purchased it back in march or whenever it was. So don't be put off on the basis of a few failures...

It's still a superb machine.

/rubs lucky heather, beats old crone to death with crutch

Peej
  • morriss 22 Jun 2006 11:43:56 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    to balance things out (rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot, touching wood, cuddling four leaf clover and throwing a black cat back and forth across the road) mine's been fine since I purchased it back in march or whenever it was. So don't be put off on the basis of a few failures...

It's still a superb machine.

/rubs lucky heather, beats old crone to death with crutch

Peej

Douses peej
  • ZRLeigh 22 Jun 2006 11:48:42 24 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive had my 360 since lauch day and havent had any problems with it at all, you dont hear about the majority of people who havent had any probs because they are on them and not complaining.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 22 Jun 2006 12:05:23 14,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Of course I know you can just pick a replacement up, its just the annoyance factor. If I get a next gen machine it'll definitaly be the 360, its just a matter of when. My xbox is on its last legs, so I'm secretly hoping it'll just give up now so I have an excuse to get the 360 :)
  • reality_cheque 22 Jun 2006 13:13:34 7,487 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mingster wrote:
    Has anybody who has bought an xbox NOT have their machine replaced?
    Mine is fine, as is the machine of everyone I know IRL with one (that's 3 people)
  • moggsy 22 Jun 2006 13:34:18 3,860 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought my 360 in March and it's been 100% fine - got 2 other mates who have also had no problems whatsoever.

Just in case of a problem however I use a memory card for my Xbox Live account info and my game saves so I wouldn't be overly bothered about losing the hard drive (except losing all of the stuff I've downloaded of course but this is generally re-downloadable).
  • funkstar 22 Jun 2006 21:08:56 1,194 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i had the dreaded 3 red lights....
    sent it off, back within a week... 'cept they forgot to send the power supply back. DOH!

so now i've got a nice shiny fixed 360 with no brick :(

and table tennis arrived in the post today too

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• [maven] 26 Jun 2006 21:25:29 5,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    [maven] wrote:

Mine's still working, picket up at launch...
    /knock on wood.

I should not have posted this. As of this evening, it freezes with strange graphical errors while the metal X "ball" is spinning into view on boot. No red lights, though.
    The heat in Germany is not only fucking with the English football team, it's fucking with my Xbox as well...

:(
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous