• Page

of 101 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Collymilad 21 Jan 2011 18:38:18 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Urgh. Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths but is it just me or are the ally achievements broken to hell?
  • Deleted user 21 January 2011 19:23:46
    Nope, or at least they never used to be - struggling with the Asari one by any chance?
  • Collymilad 21 Jan 2011 19:29:51 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be honest I'm struggling with all of them except the two I got when the game first came out (krogan and quarian)

The most frustrating thing is I kinda want the game over with now (achievement wise) so I'm trying to do as little as possible but there are loads of conflicting reports of how many missions/side quests it takes to get the achievements. At the moment I'm going for Ashley (soldier) and Garrus (turian) Some people say they did about 8 main missions and 30 sidequests and they got the achievement, some did 15 main missions and 50+ sidequests and never got any. I'm currently at 17 main missions and 39 sidequests and I'm at Ilos and it doesn't look like they're going to pop but who knows.

It just seems like there's no set amount of stuff you have to do to unlock them, that's what's annoying me the most. Don't get me wrong I love the game but you can only fight through so many identikit bases before it starts to get tiring hehe.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2011 19:56:45
    I'm assuming you are keeping them all in your squad as soon as you recruit them? The Asari one is the toughest as you need to make a bee-line to her without doing any side-quests on the Citadel and then go back mopping up all the early side-quests

Personally I played the full game through 5/6 times (each time including the vast majority of the side-quests) to pick them all up - once was just for the Asari

It's a bit random insofar as you have no way to really track how they are progressing and the achievement a really long slog - this site might help:

http://www.trueachievements.com/Mass-Effect-xbox-360.htm
  • Collymilad 21 Jan 2011 20:23:23 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool I'll give that a look, cheers mate.
  • Paulie_P 17 Feb 2011 14:23:10 415 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    I just finished the first game, first time through it, ever. I did basically everything, including the vast majority of the sidequests. Enough to get the Completionist achievement and up to level 50. I played "asshole Shepard", the Sentinel class, upgraded to Biotic. Ashley and Wrex were my mainstays. If I could have named my team, it would have been TEAM MACGUYVER.

Random thoughts:

-I love being an asshole in this game. It's good that you're not exactly "evil", but that you are more than willing to punch people to get the message across. I wanted more options to punch people, frankly. Betraying that woman on Noveria was delicious, also.

-I don't love the identikit planets. Apart from the story ones, the only variation is in the colour of the ground, height of the mountains, and various weather effects that don't really... affect anything. Not once did I ever feel threatened by a "level 2 hazard"

-Interiors were a bit samey, too, as were many of the quests

-Loved biotic powers, especially Lift. And Throw, when you could throw people off mountains :D

-Combat was fairly poor, though. The AI was ordinary, and doesn't seem to improve on higher difficulties

-I wanted something more to use omnigel for. Apart from the occasional Mako repair, it didn't get much use. Also, it would be nice to make money a little harder to come by. It seemed like anything I did in the mid to late game earned me 10,000 credits or so, to say nothing of all the useless upgrades I had to sell. I was easily up to the max amount of money by the end, with nothing really to spend it on.

I hope some of the bad stuff is improved in the sequel. I'm definitely going to play it at some point, importing my character. After I'm done with Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2 and New Vegas, that is. :)

I just finished this game (bought this and Mass Effect 2 in January - its sitting there in its wrapping calling to me) and was about to post something similar to this.

- I thought the game didn't explain itself well. I tried one of the side missions as soon as I left the citadel and was not aware that I could exit the Mako, I kept getting killed by a Thrasher Maw (was that the right name) eventually killed it and I was wondering how to investigate the dead bodies around the ship.

- I would've liked a warning from the game to tell me if I completed mission x, I would not be able to complete sidemission y.

- I didn't like the equipment menus. I would've preferred something like say Secret of Mana/ later Final Fantasy where when you received an item, you would have an icon to say who could equip it and show if it is better than something you have equipped. I found a lot of junk through the game and ended up reducing most of it to omni-gel in the later.

Just a bit of nitpicking, it's an excellent game - the lackluster side missions stop me from giving it a 9 but a solid 8 for me. Loved the story and can't wait to get started on the second game!
  • Deleted user 23 March 2011 11:53:27
    I usually had Garrus or Wrex with a biotic, its normally a good combo imo.
  • pauleyc 23 Mar 2011 12:02:50 4,462 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tali is a great companion, her tech skills are invaluable for a soldier. I usually went with Ashley as second companion but Wrex or Garrus should also be good.
  • DUFFKING 11 Apr 2011 12:56:44 7,259 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I finished this, bloody brilliant.
    However, I chose to go after Sovereign letting the council die
    I don't like the result of this, Humans taking over leader ship.
    Is it worth redoing or does it make little difference in Me2?

A few people are less friendly and bitchy as hell toward you if you let the council die. There's no benefit to killing them off and no real punishment either. Just go with what you like more.

• oceanmotion 11 Apr 2011 13:08:33 15,951 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did that too but reloaded a previous save for the other option.

I'm not sure how deep your choices go like all those side quest choices for example or just the big moments like you said and wrex and his species, who sets off the bomb etc.

Problem I've got is I did a playthrough on another profile that I can't transfer to my current one. Maybe I'll just play through twice.

• Gaol 11 Apr 2011 13:30:32 2,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reloading kills immersion. I was a bit surprised how quickly the Wrex situation got out of hand, leading to his death but better to live with the consequences.
  • dutchspeededup 2 May 2011 20:48:10 4,393 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm 15 hours into this and loving it. I'm at level 40 having done around 40 side missions and a bunch of the main ones (pretty much all the planets now, I think).

Are the DLC missions worth bothering with?
  • GloatingSwine 3 May 2011 11:42:21 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dutchspeededup wrote:

Bring down the Sky is. Pinnacle Station is less worth it, only get it if you're a proper completist or really love the combat.
  • dutchspeededup 3 May 2011 14:04:52 4,393 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    dutchspeededup wrote:

Bring down the Sky is. Pinnacle Station is less worth it, only get it if you're a proper completist or really love the combat.

That's helpful, thanks. Are they the only two? (I can't seem to find others...)

• Aretak 3 May 2011 14:25:28 10,354 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are just the two, yes. I think they're both rubbish, but BDtS is certainly less rubbish than PS, which has no redeeming features whatsoever.
  • dutchspeededup 3 May 2011 14:29:17 4,393 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For 50 points I may give BDtS a shot.
  • anon_ 10 Jun 2012 12:38:53 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just finished my second run-through of this. Compared to Mass Effect 2 and 3, found the gameplay lacking in some respects: combat was unwieldy, worlds were a bit samey, and production values are considerably less polished.

That said, it's made up for (in the end, game starts a bit slow) by a well-told and immersive narrative, that strikes a pitch-perfect space odyssey note.

All-in-all, I reckon ME3>ME2>ME1
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 14:31:31
    So Anyone pick this up for the ps3. Just started it, and enjoying it. Played the 2nd one, but not the third yet, so going to do a playthrough of all 3.

Controls seem a bit ungainly atm, not used to them at all, and can't remember what buttons do what. Just got to the becon and back on the ship, but had a couple of my sqaud die already. will get used to it. I saw an option to reset tutorials so might go through them again.

Enjoying the conversation options though.
  • Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 14:53:44 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope your are, because the next hour or so will be just that!

Not sure about the controls, my ME experience has purely been KB&M... although I am going to try it on the TV downstairs with a 360 pad plugged in.

I could understand how they'd be clunky, thanks to the big pause menu of options. I always found mouse a boon with the menus.

I didn't ever play the DLC on this, apparently it is a pain to get authorised by EA.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• RedSparrows 6 Dec 2012 15:22:55 22,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plus it's crap.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 13:32:17
    Getting to grips with it now. Become a spectre and now at ferros.

Have to say the game is buggy as fudge. I had to reset once because of my squad firing at rocks and not allowing me to progress to the next objective. I had a few enemies dissapear and the transistions to cut scenes etc are choppy as fuck.

Was it originally a buggy mess?
  • GiarcYekrub 26 Dec 2012 16:32:21 3,772 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get the bitterness, ME2 & 3 removed the broken bits of ME1
  • Widge Moderator 26 Dec 2012 16:46:19 13,593 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mass Effect is a third person action rpg series with talking between the shooting bits. All of them. The first is not excluded from this.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 101 First / Last

Next