***Official*** Mass Effect Thread Page 97

• Page

of 101 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Sep 2009 16:15:37 24,564 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only the main story missions will take you to other big areas.

All the little side missions you get from landing on random planets are fairly similar.
  • Aretak 8 Sep 2009 16:24:11 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I just started getting into this over the weekend (even though I've owned it since the day it was released!).
    Hmm... I started playing it again the other day too. The last time I played it before then was December 2007 according to my save, and I only got 5 hours or so in before abandoning it. Sorry I did, as it's absoloutely fantastic. Completed it once in a few days, and have now started on a second play through with a new character on Hardcore (because I wanted the bonus talent you can get for unlocking achievements first time through).

The side missions are pretty boring and incredibly samey, but the main story missions are uniformly fantastic -- Feros and Virmire being the real stand-outs IMO. The combat is pretty sloppy early on, but it becomes much more fun once you get your hands on some better equipment.

/edit/ I also bought the Bring Down the Sky DLC, which was a bit disappointing. The final battle of it is pretty awesome though. I've heard the Pinnacle Station DLC is even worse, so I probably won't bother with that.
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 16:29:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't had any issues with the combat. Enjoying it, though, I wish I knew how to use everything that's at my disposal better...such as biotic powers. As it is, I just stand there shooting my arse off, and hope for the best.

I'll have to do more of the story, but I haven't minded the side missions at all. It seems like I'm alone in this, but I actually like driving the Mako around! :)

• Aretak 8 Sep 2009 16:36:24 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The side missions are alright for a while, but they're literally all the same (the ones involving combat anyway). There are only 4 different interior maps I think -- a warehouse, a bunker, an excavation site and a freighter. So you end up visiting what might as well be the same building 20 times, despite each one technically being in a different solar system.

I didn't really have a problem with the Mako itself either, save for the fact you can't upgrade its weapons. I find it easier to kill things by getting out of it.
  • glaeken 8 Sep 2009 16:41:52 10,977 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the Mako is fine once you understand the stupid control scheme they decided to use on it. Also once you realise you use the jump jets to dodge incoming fire rather than try and drive out of the way it all becomes much more manageable.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 16:42:52
    Aretak wrote:I didn't really have a problem with the Mako itself either, save for the fact you can't upgrade its weapons. I find it easier to kill things by getting out of it.

I read somewhere that you get more XP for killing things out of the Mako. Not sure if this is correct or not though.
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 16:54:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I think the Mako is fine once you understand the stupid control scheme they decided to use on it. Also once you realise you use the jump jets to dodge incoming fire rather than try and drive out of the way it all becomes much more manageable.

Good tip about the jump jets!

I found combat to be relatively easy with the Mako. Especially enemy troops, who you can just run over. :)
  • Aretak 8 Sep 2009 16:58:21 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    Aretak wrote:I didn't really have a problem with the Mako itself either, save for the fact you can't upgrade its weapons. I find it easier to kill things by getting out of it.
    I read somewhere that you get more XP for killing things out of the Mako. Not sure if this is correct or not though.
    Yeah, 'tis. I wrecked the Mako during the trench run on Virmire, which meant I had to take down the Geth Colossus you meet there on foot. Loads and loads of XP for doing that. :)
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 17:31:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I seem to have 1 or 2 missing slot(s) for party members. I hope you're not supposed to pick them all up at the Citadel? Though, I suppose I could always go back...
  • Aretak 8 Sep 2009 17:41:08 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of your party members is picked up during one of the initial three story missions you're given, in the Artemis Tau cluster. You can do Feros and Noveria (and possibly the one that pops up next) before getting them, but you do have to go there eventually since it's a main mission. There are three party members you can get on the Citadel, two of which are optional I believe. I don't think you can miss Tali, as the ambassador forces you to take her if you say no.

Not sure if you can go back and recruit them later, as I got them at the first opportunity both times. :)
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Sep 2009 17:53:38 16,257 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Not sure if you can go back and recruit them later, as I got them at the first opportunity both times. :)

If one completes the Chora's Den related missions I think you get either one or two. If you need more info on where and when ronuds then let us know and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. Which numbers of the 6 are you missing?

You are a factory of sadness.

• ronuds 8 Sep 2009 18:05:56 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm missing the 2 that appear in the middle when you're viewing them all in your menu. I can't really remember the names of all those I have now...I don't pay close enough attention. :(
  • Aretak 8 Sep 2009 18:17:40 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're missing Liara and Wrex. Liara is the one I mentioned before in the Artemus Tau cluster. Wrex's location was mentioned when you spoke to Garrus in the Med Clinic, but you don't have to go and get him to progress (obviously). Apparently you can go back and get him at any time -- he'll be in C-Sec.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 18:18:12
    Go and get Werx, pronto.
  • Jeepers 8 Sep 2009 18:23:19 13,170 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Go and get Werx, pronto.

And then go and get Liara for some blue-skinned drinking from the furry cup.
  • GiarcYekrub 8 Sep 2009 18:32:12 3,583 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't till my second playthrough did I realise the Mako had a cannon I'd been using sodding machine gun all the way through and let me tell you those Thresher Maws take ages to kill that way
  • GiarcYekrub 8 Sep 2009 18:33:01 3,583 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    Go and get Werx, pronto.

Don't forget the consort (I like to do it with her with Liara and Ashley watching)
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 19:15:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    Go and get Werx, pronto.

Don't forget the consort (I like to do it with her with Liara and Ashley watching)

I have Wrex already! It's the two from the left of him I don't have...or maybe it's only 1 now.

/confused
  • Aretak 8 Sep 2009 19:24:46 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You definetly have one of the two left from him, as one of them's Kaidan who you get right at the start. Liara is the one directly left of him, so perhaps it's just her you're missing. Of the rest, Tali and Ashley are compulsory, whilst Garrus would be hard to miss unless you wanted to.
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 19:30:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, must be Liara only then - because I haven't been to that cluster you mentioned before.

Now that I hope there's more hope for the main missions (not that the side were so bad), I can't wait to boot this up later!
  • ronuds 8 Sep 2009 19:30:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, must be Liara only then - because I haven't been to that cluster you mentioned before.

Now that I hope there's more hope for the main missions (not that the side were so bad), I can't wait to boot this up later!
  • TechnoHippy 14 Oct 2009 22:38:48 14,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Just played the first 30 mins of this and it's feeling a bit bloody good, even gf was watching.... :D

It's an excellent game, I wish the new one would hurry up and feed itself into my 360 :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• StarchildHypocrethes 14 Oct 2009 22:54:09 24,564 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite game of this gen.

Absolutely awesome throughout and actually has a climax/ending that lives up to everything that's built up to it.
  • RedSparrows 14 Oct 2009 23:01:44 20,756 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye. The end sequence is film drama to the max, but with an excellent game to play to see it.

If the sequel nails it, it'll be one of my favourite games ever.
  • andyc1980 14 Oct 2009 23:10:39 1,054 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just bought it again can't get enough of it.
  • triarii 14 Oct 2009 23:11:51 295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone know which retail version is the most complete?

This one?

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/9351470/-/Product.html?P36=GMJPP6

(I have no idea how to do fancy links)
  • Restart 14 Oct 2009 23:18:37 4,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the most complete one you'll get, yeah. The only thing it's missing is Pinnacle Station, which is rather crappy anyway. But if you desperately wanted it, I believe it's only around 400 points extra.
  • RedSparrows 14 Oct 2009 23:19:51 20,756 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It sucks, ignore it.

The game is wonderful. The side planet fatigue, graphical bugs and loading times all pale into insignificance alongside the greatness of the rest of it.
  • triarii 14 Oct 2009 23:21:42 295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well considering the insults thrown at me last night I didn't think I had a choice whether to buy it or not :-P
  • Page

of 101 First / Last