Super Mario Galaxy Page 126

• Page

of 126 First / Last

Next
  • ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 12:55:15 76,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the remote/nunchuck controls for it. Waggle to spin works great and using the pointer to collect star bits was somehow really enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying I wouldn't even want to play this without the Wiimote.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 12:59:02 12,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really?!

I mean fair enough but the star bits were utterly pointless and surely a proper controller is far more desirable than a mess of a mesh of two ideas.

Like I've said before the devs managed to create the best scheme given their circumstances but if both Galaxy games came out on WiiU tomorrow with gamepad control; I'd be all over it.
  • Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 13:15:20 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Languedocian wrote:
    Just finished this. If the quality of games affects one's opinion of a console, then surely the Wii gets some extra points for having the best platformer of all time on it?*

*Own opinion, until I get around to playing Galaxy 2!
    It does.

unfortunately it was at -2,000,000 points so this and Galaxy 2 don't even bring it to break even status.

/waits
    Reasons for this assertion, please!

Edited by Languedocian at 13:16:25 06-02-2014
  • ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 13:19:49 76,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only thing a normal controller might give you is allowing a second stick to manually adjust the camera. Since I don't require this feature the Wiimote is perfect.

I feel like it'd lose something with a normal controller though. The slight waggle required to fire off to another planet is just great, it's a nice action to perform and the only time I've actually liked waggle. The whole aspect of analog stick, pointer, motion control blends together perfectly for a great gameplay experience.
  • Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 13:20:13 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I love the remote/nunchuck controls for it. Waggle to spin works great and using the pointer to collect star bits was somehow really enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying I wouldn't even want to play this without the Wiimote.
    Agreed. Having the ability to sweep them up as you sped through the levels made it much more enjoyable than manually collecting them. The tedium of other collect-a-thon games was dealt with simply and gracefully.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 13:24:03 12,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But they were pointless! They did not even have any collectathon value.
  • Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 13:25:07 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Really?!

I mean fair enough but the star bits were utterly pointless and surely a proper controller is far more desirable than a mess of a mesh of two ideas.

Like I've said before the devs managed to create the best scheme given their circumstances but if both Galaxy games came out on WiiU tomorrow with gamepad control; I'd be all over it.
    By letting you pick them up with the remote it gives the feeling that they are optional i.e. you don't have to hunt for every single last one. You would also pick them up by accident a lot of the time, which made light of something that would have been a chore if done any other way.

mikew1985 wrote:
    But they were pointless! They did not even have any collectathon value.
    As above, I think it was intentional to make them feel optional, rather than ascribe a collect-a-thon value to them. Maybe that's just me!

Edited by Languedocian at 13:27:54 06-02-2014
  • ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 13:26:01 76,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't you use them for something? I know you could shoot them at enemies.

Even if they did nothing, it was still an enjoyable gameplay aspect to hoover them up with the pointer.

Edited by ecureuil at 18:13:49 06-02-2014
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 13:27:41 12,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I suppose it had a certain charm.

I still would have preferred to play it with a controller. Horses for courses.

The Wii is shit
  • JiveHound 6 Feb 2014 13:30:23 2,472 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They were currency for power ups if I remember correctly.

Most collectables are actually pointless in games other than to fill some quotient for 100%.

At least in Galaxy the collecting was actually fun. There was always little bits in the background when you're running or being shot off to another planetoid to point at and collect. It's just a nice little toy like thing to play around with.

Mario is all about play after all and in that regard it fits perfectly.

I also love the controls the little waggle gives a real tactile sensation to shooting off those launchers.

Edited by JiveHound at 13:31:12 06-02-2014

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 13:30:43 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Even if they did nothing, it was still an enjoyable gameplay aspect to Hoover them up with the pointer.
    Aye, you could fire them at enemies to stun them. I think the mole with the spanner HAD to be defeated by first hitting it with a star bit, but this was the only one.

The expression on the Lumas' face when you were ramming them full of star bits more than justified their existence for me!

Edited by Languedocian at 13:30:58 06-02-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 6 Feb 2014 13:31:19 3,660 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You needed them to open levels too.

I loved the wiimote/nunchuk also.
    SMG, SS, MP, TC all controlled beautifully amd felt Nintendo-y and distinguished the Wii from my other consoles.

Don't understand the hate :'(
  • JiveHound 6 Feb 2014 13:37:30 2,472 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was never overly fond of the Wii but it did have some good stuff.

I was very critical of the motion controls at the time for stuff like Wii Sports. It all just felt really dumb to me.

Things like Zak and Wiki, Galaxy, Resi 4 and Metroid Prime sold the potential to me but too many games resorted to gimmicky, barely working controls.

Didn't help that the console was standard def and as such looked like shite on a HD tv. I think a lot of 'core' gamers felt betrayed by Nintendo seemingly abandoning them for the fickle casual dollar.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 13:46:24 12,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Languedocian wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Even if they did nothing, it was still an enjoyable gameplay aspect to Hoover them up with the pointer.
    Aye, you could fire them at enemies to stun them. I think the mole with the spanner HAD to be defeated by first hitting it with a star bit, but this was the only one.

The expression on the Lumas' face when you were ramming them full of star bits more than justified their existence for me!
    I did admittedly forget about that. It was an entertaining animation.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last

Next