Super Mario Galaxy Page 125

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• spamdangled 23 Mar 2013 00:19:45 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    It is all pointless though and serves to remind you how shit the wii is and how terrible that control scheme is.  It also makes you lament Nintendos awful decision to go with such utter rubbish hardware meaning that the game can't fully exploit the quality of work and art that the developers put in.

It's an excellent game, make no mistake, Unfortunately it's on an abortion of a console.
    Utter, utter nonsense.

It controls beautifully with hardly any waggle, some of the levels are massive and they are all beautifully designed.

It's quite possibly one of the best games I have ever played, and I mean that genuinely. It's at least in the top 10.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:22:14 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mikew1985 sorry but you said "terrible control scheme". It is no such thing.
    You can argue it could have been improved a bit without it sure. But terrible suggests broken or significantly damaging the game, which it in no way does.
    I do think the wiimote and nunchuck or any combination of both or either is infinitely inferior to any proper controller for 99% of games. The combo definitely do not help the game.  Fortunately Nintendos development team are talented enough for it not to be a massive problem.

The game would have been more enjoyable with a proper controller which the wiimote nunchuck combo just isn't.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:25:54 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    It is all pointless though and serves to remind you how shit the wii is and how terrible that control scheme is.  It also makes you lament Nintendos awful decision to go with such utter rubbish hardware meaning that the game can't fully exploit the quality of work and art that the developers put in.

It's an excellent game, make no mistake, Unfortunately it's on an abortion of a console.
    Utter, utter nonsense.

It controls beautifully with hardly any waggle, some of the levels are massive and they are all beautifully designed.

It's quite possibly one of the best games I have ever played, and I mean that genuinely. It's at least in the top 10.
    It really isn't nonsense. You all seem to think I'm claiming something that I'm not.  It's a superb game,  I loved THE GAME. The wii is still shit and so is the wiimote and nunchuck. I don't see why you can't separate the two.

Both galaxy games almost excuse the wii but not quite.
  • spamdangled 23 Mar 2013 00:27:22 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wii was one of my favourite consoles... so many genuine hidden gems in the library.

And they look gorgeous running through Dolphin.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:27:48 23-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2013 00:29:39 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Genuinely thinking am missing something here. Six hours in and I a trading this is, is is just a bit rubbish.

Controls are waggle shit, with an awful camera, levels are smaller than mario 64 and generally I just feel no charm os fun in the game.

All I can think is with a proper controller that allowed camera views this would be a decent game, but as it is I rate it even lower than sunshine if that is possible. I can see people liking it despite the controls, but the meta critic score is just insane.
    The metacritic score isn't insane, *most* people find it amazing but not everyone, every raved about game has a group of people it just doesn't click with.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2013 00:30:28 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The Wii was one of my favourite consoles... so many genuine hidden gems in the library.

No, it's the internet so everything is amazing or shit. Wii has waggle, ergo it's shit.

• mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:35:50 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Yeah great I'm fully aware of that,  they look superb running through a pc many times more powerful than a wii with which you can use a 360 controller.

Thanks for proving my point.

Also that is only true of some games, neither of the galaxy games run all that well on dolphin.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:36:46 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

No, it's the internet so everything is amazing or shit. Wii has waggle, ergo it's shit.
    Well done on missing the point and also ignoring the fact that dm proved my point in the very post you quoted.

Honestly.

Edited by mikew1985 at 00:37:27 23-03-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2013 00:37:46 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Utter, utter nonsense.

It really isn't nonsense. You all seem to think I'm claiming something that I'm not.  It's a superb game,  I loved THE GAME. The wii is still shit and so is the wiimote and nunchuck. I don't see why you can't separate the two.

Waggle is usually shit, pointing is fantastic. Such a shame that those awesome controller aren't made more use of.

• RobTheBuilder 23 Mar 2013 00:44:10 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985 Does the higher resolution of Dolphin make any difference whatsoever to the game?

Nope.

Sure the Wii had the power of a solar powered calculator, but that doesn't stop great games being great.
  • treegreen 23 Mar 2013 00:45:27 103 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I really enjoyed Sunshine. It was rock hard in places, and usually in a "You suck, try harder" way. Much like Super Meat Boy and N+.
    I loved that about it too. Probably one of my favourite ever games, despite the lack of polish.
  • spamdangled 23 Mar 2013 00:48:55 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Yeah great I'm fully aware of that,  they look superb running through a pc many times more powerful than a wii with which you can use a 360 controller.

Also that is only true of some games, neither of the galaxy games run all that well on dolphin.
    It looks gorgeous even on the Wii, it just looks even better on Dolphin was the point I was trying to make. The artstyle wins through, as is the case on a lot of Nintendo 1st party games.

• mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:49:16 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Utter, utter nonsense.

Waggle is usually shit, pointing is fantastic. Such a shame that those awesome controller aren't made more use of.
    Pointing is Ok, where required, which wasn't much most of the time and I'd rather have a mouse for that tbh, it was certainly no better than one. Wiimote was satisfying for the likes of boomblox and a couple of others.

I'm sure there were genuine uses that would have been fun but no developer ever really tapped in, even Nintendo. I thereby surmise that it was mostly a very bad idea; at the very least certainly a poorly implemented and never really utilised one.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:54:11 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mikew1985 Does the higher resolution of Dolphin make any difference whatsoever to the game?

Nope.

Sure the Wii had the power of a solar powered calculator, but that doesn't stop great games being great.
    Nope but the decent controller does.

Also galaxy is a worse experience on dolphin as it doesn't really work. Seriously lads, you seem to think I'm trolling you for the fun of it here but I've played the game and actually know what I'm talking about.

To be fair to Nintendo, they know how to ensure a game performs very well, galaxy runs wonderfully on the wii.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:57:30 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

It looks gorgeous even on the Wii, it just looks even better on Dolphin was the point I was trying to make. The artstyle wins through, as is the case on a lot of Nintendo 1st party games.
    Again, read my posts I've said pretty much every thing you've just said,  well before you said it.

It's also actually not better on dolphin. Unless you enjoy playing it without the wonderful sound.

Again doesn't make the wii a good console.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Mar 2013 01:05:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985 I don't know what controller you were using... But at no point in the whole game did the controls ever become even a minor issue for me.

I don't think you're trolling. I just find it hard to understand how you could have possibly found the control bad.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 01:39:34 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mikew1985 I don't know what controller you were using... But at no point in the whole game did the controls ever become even a minor issue for me.

I don't think you're trolling. I just find it hard to understand how you could have possibly found the control bad.
    I said control scheme.  The control scheme was awful. Wiimote plus nunchuck is a control scheme.  Despite that EAD did an Ok job. They still had to implement a poor waggle to wiggle thing that would have been better suited to a button. They also implemented a pointless remote pointing mechanic, which I'd hazard was mandated from above to somehow try to justify the remote.

I never said it controlled poorly, it was Ok, would have been more intuitive and less awkward with a proper non shit controller though.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Mar 2013 02:55:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985 still don't get how you found it bad at all.

After a few levels it was as instinctive and simple as pressing the buttons. No awkward swinging or any of that crap. Just shake or point it.

Your opinion I guess. I just don't see any of the awkwardness you appear to find.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jan 2014 19:18:49 77,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Playing through this with my girlfriend.

The camera is quite probably the worst, most game ruining piece of shit I have ever seen, it's a fucking joke.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Jan 2014 19:21:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    this will go well :D
  • ecureuil 2 Jan 2014 19:33:16 76,495 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember a lot of complaints about the camera when it first came out. Seems pretty divisive over whether it affected the game for certain people, I personally never had an issue with it and it never affected anything I wanted to do in the game.
  • richardiox 2 Jan 2014 19:36:03 5,541 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

The camera is quite probably the worst, most game ruining piece of shit I have ever seen, it's a fucking joke.
    I'm sure that if the Wii had a conventional twin analogue pad then EAD could have put in an adjustable camera. As it stands and working within the limitations of Wiimote they've done a good job.

I actually preferred playing this on a 360 pad.
  • Syrette 2 Jan 2014 22:49:20 43,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox is playing on a console!?

• Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2014 22:58:15 6,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, it's a bit early for April Fools db.
  • ecureuil 3 Jan 2014 01:11:44 76,495 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could be emulating it on PC. It looks miles better than playing it on a Wii/Wii U anyway.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jan 2014 03:39:16 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

No, any post of yours regarding consoles is a forum ruining piece of shit.

• Armoured_Bear 3 Jan 2014 03:39:18 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

No, any post of yours regarding consoles is a forum ruining piece of shit.

• Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 12:32:06 11 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Just finished this. If the quality of games affects one's opinion of a console, then surely the Wii gets some extra points for having the best platformer of all time on it?*

*Own opinion, until I get around to playing Galaxy 2!

Edited by Languedocian at 12:32:24 06-02-2014
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 12:49:28 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good to see a year on I feel exactly the same way about Galaxy.

Great game, one of my favourite of the last gen, lumbered with a terrible controller/console.

DB - how is it running on Dolphin these days?

Would love to play through this and 2 again with out having to use the inferior and shit Wiimote/nunchuck combo.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 12:50:53 12,589 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Languedocian wrote:
    Just finished this. If the quality of games affects one's opinion of a console, then surely the Wii gets some extra points for having the best platformer of all time on it?*

*Own opinion, until I get around to playing Galaxy 2!
    It does.

unfortunately it was at -2,000,000 points so this and Galaxy 2 don't even bring it to break even status.

/waits
  • Page

of 126 First / Last