Super Mario Galaxy Page 124

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• JonFE 5 Dec 2011 18:11:17 1,384 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait until you reach Luigi's Purple Coins!!! ;)
  • Psychotext 5 Dec 2011 18:20:11 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I've heard about them. Should be fun (interesting?).
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2011 16:51:19 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well shit. All this time I was thinking that Luigi's Purple Coins were a set of levels at the end of the game... when instead it's one stupidly difficult level.

I don't get that at all. All of the other levels were relatively easy (some tedious, but nothing massively difficult)... and then you get that thing. WTF.
  • JonFE 6 Dec 2011 17:06:55 1,384 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Told ya! There are a couple of Youtube videos detailing a doable strategy to get them, if you care about it...

The worst part is that you must return to the starting point to get the star, so you must make sure you leave some of the tiles intact.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2011 18:18:35 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I was thinking of going around the outside and then working my way in, but to be honest I'm tempted to just leave it at 119. Can't be dealing with how pissed off that's likely to make me.
  • freakybun 6 Dec 2011 18:27:35 593 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Yeah, I was thinking of going around the outside and then working my way in, but to be honest I'm tempted to just leave it at 119. Can't be dealing with how pissed off that's likely to make me.
    I remember it took me about 2 hours or so of persistence to finish this bastard hard challenge.

The satisfaction is immense. The first time for years I remember shouting 'yes!' and whooping at the fact.

I don't live in that flat anymore, neighbour downstairs thought I was weird....
  • Deleted user 6 December 2011 19:17:57
    Really isn't that hard. At all.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2011 20:08:29 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently not:

[img]
    http://i.imgur.com/TGsJl.jpg[/img]

(So I'm a glutton for punishment)

Edited by Psychotext at 20:10:34 06-12-2011
  • Kay 6 Dec 2011 20:25:41 17,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you managed to get the last 60-odd stars in the past day? O_o
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2011 20:29:01 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, was all so much easier than I expected up until that last one, and that was mostly a case of having to get a strategy down.

Oh, and I'm going to come across as a heretic... but I preferred Sunshine. ;)
  • Kay 6 Dec 2011 20:34:57 17,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sunshine definitely had more of a challenge, but it was nowhere near as refined or inventive as Galaxy. The sequel is even better.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2011 20:44:53 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure I'm going to play it. SMG1 was good, but I started to get quite bored with it toward the end.
  • JonFE 7 Dec 2011 11:36:36 1,384 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like you beat it, Psycho. Kudos!!!

I'd advise to take a break before starting SMG2, but don't skip it altogether. It refines some of the best SMG moments and overall is a better game, IMHO.
    But, I understand that starting it right away would be a bit much...

As for Sunshine, it had its moments that's for sure, but I prefer both Galaxy games over it. It certainly wasn't as bad as some people make it, though...
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2011 11:48:08 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed Sunshine. It was rock hard in places, and usually in a "You suck, try harder" way. Much like Super Meat Boy and N+.
  • monkman76 7 Dec 2011 11:55:36 3,398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, N+... What's next Psychotext?
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2011 11:58:48 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thread will decide. Will update it in a minute.
  • Kay 7 Dec 2011 13:02:06 17,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It wasn't just hard, it was also broken and in places. Still a superb game, just lacked the polish of Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 is tougher, more varied, has better power-ups (especially Yoshi), and cuts out all the filler and story and just gets straight to the action. Consider you managed to get about 60 stars in one day on the first game, I'm sure you can make time to fit the sequel in somewhere. :p
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2011 13:15:37 52,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given there are something like 100 games left in my backlog (and I haven't even added the games I still want to buy... possibly not.
  • RyanDS 22 Mar 2013 22:48:19 8,699 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Genuinely thinking am missing something here. Six hours in and I a trading this is, is is just a bit rubbish.

Controls are waggle shit, with an awful camera, levels are smaller than mario 64 and generally I just feel no charm os fun in the game.

All I can think is with a proper controller that allowed camera views this would be a decent game, but as it is I rate it even lower than sunshine if that is possible. I can see people liking it despite the controls, but the meta critic score is just insane.
  • DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 22:54:21 22,058 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the thing you are missing is the bit where you're allowed to not like things that others do. Just because it received all this critical acclaim and others loves it doesn't mean you have to. Just a difference of opinion, that's all :)

Despite loving Mario games, I've still not played it. Keep meaning to get round to buying it but new shiny stuff distracts me. I'll get it eventually though and see if I agree with you.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• RyanDS 22 Mar 2013 22:57:23 8,699 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I just have no soul.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:01:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RyanDS "all waggle shit"

What on earth are you talking about. One shake move, and the odd bit of pointing. Hardly full of waggle shit..!!
  • mikew1985 22 Mar 2013 23:27:33 12,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is all pointless though and serves to remind you how shit the wii is and how terrible that control scheme is.  It also makes you lament Nintendos awful decision to go with such utter rubbish hardware meaning that the game can't fully exploit the quality of work and art that the developers put in.

It's an excellent game, make no mistake, Unfortunately it's on an abortion of a console.

Edited by mikew1985 at 23:28:43 22-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:35:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mikew1985 so totally wrong. I can't even be bothered to have this argument again. If you are so blinded by hatred for the Wii that you can't enjoy an amazing game there is no hope for you.

Not loving it, fine. Your opinion.
    But to state one of the best games ever has terrible controls is just ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous.

Oh and Galaxy in 480p looks better than most 360 games. Low polys sure but it has all it needs to run fast and fluidly while doing so.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 23:37:07 22-03-2013
  • SuperCoolEskimo 22 Mar 2013 23:55:54 9,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have to agree with mikew. It's an excellent game but controls are awful. The Wiimote ruined this and Metroid Prime 3 for me. Hated that controller.
  • mikew1985 23 Mar 2013 00:00:57 12,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mikew1985 so totally wrong. I can't even be bothered to have this argument again. If you are so blinded by hatred for the Wii that you can't enjoy an amazing game there is no hope for you.

Not loving it, fine. Your opinion.
    But to state one of the best games ever has terrible controls is just ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous.

Oh and Galaxy in 480p looks better than most 360 games. Low polys sure but it has all it needs to run fast and fluidly while doing so.
    I'm completely right on all accounts.

At what point did I say I didn't enjoy the game?

I loved it and galaxy 2, the wii is still the worst console I've ever owned thankfully those two games alone made it worth having.

They worked in spite of the controller, not because of it. Show me someone who claims the wiimote made smg better than it would have been with a proper controller and I'll show you a liar.

That or a particularly deluded Nintendo fan boy.

Edited by mikew1985 at 00:05:36 23-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Mar 2013 00:13:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mikew1985 sorry but you said "terrible control scheme". It is no such thing.
    You can argue it could have been improved a bit without it sure. But terrible suggests broken or significantly damaging the game, which it in no way does.
  • Kay 23 Mar 2013 00:16:37 17,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Genuinely thinking am missing something here. Six hours in and I a trading this is, is is just a bit rubbish.

Controls are waggle shit, with an awful camera, levels are smaller than mario 64 and generally I just feel no charm os fun in the game.

All I can think is with a proper controller that allowed camera views this would be a decent game, but as it is I rate it even lower than sunshine if that is possible. I can see people liking it despite the controls, but the meta critic score is just insane.
    Treat it like a linear 2D platformer that makes use of 3D space, rather than a freeform 3D platformer. You don't need to even touch the camera for the most part, just press the C button to centre it every now and then if you get disoriented.

The whole game is mostly designed like the old-school retro platforming bits in Sunshine (though not as challenging). Took a while for it to click with me, now I consider both games to be up there with the best ever (even with the waggle!).
  • Page

of 126 First / Last