Space Sim appreciation thread Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2012 19:52:20 14,705 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    I don't know. Touchscreen in conjunction with joystick and keyboard could be cool if the game in question had a clickable virtual cockpit.
    I think what is needed is something that is a cross between a flight stick pro, the steel battalion controller and touch screen radars and inventory, power management screens.

And a bag to piss in.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2012 12:03:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Reminds me of my flight sim days. Jerking off to the idea of a full Thrustmaster setup with pedals and throttle.
  • Rusty_M 30 Mar 2012 12:10:41 4,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Reminds me of my flight sim days. Jerking off to the idea of a full Thrustmaster setup with pedals and throttle.
    you just described my setup, although I haven't gone so far as to build a "simpit"

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2012 12:12:01 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lucky. North of 3-400 quid right?
  • Rusty_M 30 Mar 2012 12:25:20 4,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Lucky. North of 3-400 quid right?
    easily. I think the whole range of sim equipment is overpriced, but proportionally so. I mean the TM HOTAS Warthog feels like it should cost 3-4 times as much as an X52 but I think neither are worth their cost. I also know I'm a sucker. I'm not sure how I managed to afford that stuff. There's no way I could now.

Anyway, once it's all setup, it does really change the way it feels to play fligh sims/space games.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Mar 2012 12:54:50 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I, used to play Warbirds, (3-400 player ww2 flight sim). Would have killed for a TM setup.
  • Rusty_M 30 Mar 2012 22:21:27 4,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think we're derailing things here.

Has I-war been mentioned in this thread? I've always been tempted to try it, but wonder how it's aged and if I could handle the difficulty.

• Dirtbox 30 Mar 2012 22:31:48 77,650 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Of course. More than once I think.

The second is still one of the best games of the genre. Shame you didn't buy it the other day from Gog when it was half price.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Rusty_M 30 Mar 2012 22:53:59 4,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure it'll be half price again. This month is a bad month for me buying anything anyway.

• pinebear 30 Mar 2012 23:51:19 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Rusty, you IDIOT.

• barchetta 31 Mar 2012 12:37:10 1,323 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone give a shout for Warhead - golden oldie of the 16-bit era?

Memories are hazy but I ws always struck by the cool interface and 'authentic' feel to the controls.
  • barchetta 31 Mar 2012 12:48:58 1,323 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, now I read the thread properly I see Warhead still has fans!

Always fancied a solar system based game, with options to ply trades, be law enforcement or criminals. Space/atmospheric flight, space stations, cities, carriers - the works. Just a fully functioning system but keep it focused - no aliens.
  • Rusty_M 31 Mar 2012 12:59:55 4,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RACIST!

• Mr-Brett 31 Mar 2012 13:03:10 12,746 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've give my left testicle (or alternatively some kind of legal currency) for a Freelancer 2.

Portable view - Never forget.

• TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2012 21:11:24 14,705 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    Heh, now I read the thread properly I see Warhead still has fans!

Always fancied a solar system based game, with options to ply trades, be law enforcement or criminals. Space/atmospheric flight, space stations, cities, carriers - the works. Just a fully functioning system but keep it focused - no aliens.
    Firefly the Game is what is needed here :-)

• orpheus 1 Apr 2012 14:14:26 1,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I've give my left testicle (or alternatively some kind of legal currency) for a Freelancer 2.
    Wing Commander Saga is probably the closest you'll get for now!

Edited by orpheus at 14:15:07 01-04-2012
  • orpheus 10 Apr 2012 22:31:38 1,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The excellent Lunar Flight is now on Steam and on sale at 20% off, making it just over a fiver. Highly recommended. :)
  • Deleted user 27 April 2012 16:51:36
    Galaxy on Fire 2 HD is on sale and I'm tempted. Anyone know if there's much depth to it, or is another play on the bog game?
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2012 17:37:56 14,705 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw this today - very nerdy :-)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq7py5_heliodemo1-pt1_videogames

• Scimarad 27 Apr 2012 20:43:56 8,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

I'm not sure if that would be much fun to actually play but I'd love to have a fly around in it.
  • THFourteen 27 Apr 2012 21:57:52 33,099 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:
    Galaxy on Fire 2 HD is on sale and I'm tempted. Anyone know if there's much depth to it, or is another play on the bog game?
    more depth than your average ios game

id compare it to freelancer, although the characters are a bit wooden. i have the standard version but will definitely spring for the update at that price!
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2012 21:59:55 14,705 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a lite version so you can give it a try. Personally I thought the controls were awful.

• pauleyc 18 May 2012 07:29:46 4,447 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kinetic Void (Kickstarter link) looks rather impressive. The actual gameplay details are rather hazy but just look at that shipbuilding video...!

Although I'm not sure whether they'll make their fundraising goal - just one-fourth pledged, with 12 days to go.
  • Scimarad 18 May 2012 07:50:39 8,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @pauleyc

I'd certainly buy that, for the ability to build my own ships if nothing else. I even enjoyed Spore, FFS!
  • pauleyc 18 May 2012 07:57:25 4,447 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My thought exactly. Check out some of the examples at the bottom of the page - Mega Maid. :-)
  • Scimarad 18 May 2012 08:21:09 8,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's an interesting looking 4X space game called Endless Space listed on steam at the moment. Lot of bitching in the forums about the combat, though.
  • insolent 4 Jun 2012 16:00:36 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    @pauleyc

I'd certainly buy that, for the ability to build my own ships if nothing else. I even enjoyed Spore, FFS!
    I feel you. For all its faults, the ability to build your own ships made Spore half decent. But what I really wanted was for how well I designed my ship to actually have a real impact on how it functioned.

That's why I am super excited about an indie, blockbuilding, open-world space sim in pre-alpha, called ScrumbleShip. I am a rabid fan of the game (obviously), which is going to be totally unique. It'll eventually be open-world multiplayer, with travel between solar systems similar to Freelancer.

The game will have very realistic combat, with damage modelling on ships and crew down to the individual voxel (each block = thousands of voxels); a heat transfer engine (90% done) that can model when your ship is melting or cooking the crew alive; and a force engine to model when a ship buckles under an impact or its own acceleration. These damage systems will all take into account what material things are made out of, and the materials' physical properties.

The ship's systems will all need power, and you'll need to produce that power with an engine or reactor using fuel you've refined (all the way up from asteroid ore, no less!) or through solar panels. All ship parts must be 3D printed from materials mined and refined from asteroids.

So far the shipbuilding aspect of the game is largely in place. Here's a ship I'm currently working on - she's over 280 meters long, and will have 5 meter thick tungsten hull when complete. It's a dark picture - the flashlight was turned down pretty low:

S.S. Queen Mary Ann

It's hard to make out, but there is a hangar bay on the side of the ship just before the wing starts. I will be able to launch fighters and bombers from it.

Here's the inside of an organic ship. Also showcased is the voxel-level damage (damaged organic material slowly heals voxel-by-voxel, whereas inorganic material does not):

Organic Ship Damage

Here's one of the game's modular factories the player builds to assemble components from raw materials:

Modular Factory

And here's the inside of a ship made out of butter. No, it would not do well in a fight, or even turning on its own engines:

Buttership

Every component you see in these pictures has a gameplay function, from making breathable atmosphere to refining asteroid ore.

If you're looking for a space sim with the scope of the X series or Freelancer, but with depth and detail to match, then look out for ScrumbleShip.

Edited by insolent at 16:36:05 04-06-2012
  • Stickman 4 Jun 2012 16:10:34 29,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit name.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• insolent 4 Jun 2012 16:18:39 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Shit name.
    Just like Stickman. :D

But seriously, I think "ScrumbleShip" is a pretty awesome name. DIYGameragrees. Guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of name.
  • orpheus 4 Jun 2012 17:41:19 1,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    insolent wrote:

But seriously, I think "ScrumbleShip" is a pretty awesome name. DIYGameragrees. Guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of name.
    Naming preferences aside, are you involved with the game at all insolent? Seems odd to register, then write two posts about the same game in a fairly obscure thread.

Not that I'm trying to call you out as an 'astroturfer' or anything like that, just interested. The game looks like it has potential.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last