Space Sim appreciation thread Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• StackMonkey 23 Mar 2012 13:04:56 129 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely,

Elite, Wing Commander, Freespace, Privateer, I-War, I-War2, X-series
    X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, Shuttle, Darkstar one.

And the real nerd stuff Orbiter, Xplane with Spaceship One.

X3 Terran Conflict with all the community mods is pretty bloody good, but I always come back to Elite, the Zaonce-Lave-Leesti run is seared into my brain:-) will have to see what X-Rebirth is like.

I-War 2 EoC had space combat and piracy to a fine art, closest thing to playing B5. Was stunning if you managed to take out a weapons convoy.

FTL looks really cool, reminds me of Infinite Space on the DS.

Stackmonkey

• StackMonkey 23 Mar 2012 13:06:17 129 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @krushing
    Glynn Williams Warhead, wow. Just don't mention the shit remake :-)

Mantis XF5700 Experimental Fighter.

Edited by StackMonkey at 13:08:51 23-03-2012

Stackmonkey

• Dirtbox 23 Mar 2012 13:07:54 77,475 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    Freespace 2 & Warhead. 'Nuff said. Also have fond memories of Starglider 2, even though it wasn't exactly a great game.
    I loved the first Starglider. I still rank it amongst my all time favourite games.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• krushing 23 Mar 2012 13:31:22 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember hearing about Mantis but never got to play it. Seems like it's basically not even a remake, but rather a "remix".
  • LeoliansBro 23 Mar 2012 13:31:47 43,229 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another plug for FTL here, it's fab.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• coastal 23 Mar 2012 13:37:03 5,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Privateer 2 for me.

Malakai is dead?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• StackMonkey 23 Mar 2012 13:55:00 129 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @krushing

I can honestly say it's the worst game I have ever played, broken AI, scripting, game physics etc, and that's without the cringeworthy FMV sequences.

Still remember Warhead though, especially that invincible alien you have to trick into following you. Took me a while to figure that one out:-)

Stackmonkey

• figgis 23 Mar 2012 14:37:09 7,383 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PSI-5 Trading company on the C64 is almost never mentioned nowadays.
  • Bremenacht 23 Mar 2012 14:45:10 17,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    A bit different is FTL.

The game is split into two major parts: exploration and combat. You explore by making faster-than-light jumps over vast distances in space; arriving at locations containing text-based events that have a variety of choices and outcomes. Your crew will improve with experience, while your ship can be upgraded with advanced weaponry and equipment purchased with collected scrap metal. Fighting enemy ships involves real-time management of crew, power distribution and weapons. Check out the video on the front page to see it in action.
    Demo is available, trying to fund the full release via Kickstarter.
    If you liked the FTL demo, you may well like Space Rangers 2:Reboot
  • orpheus 23 Mar 2012 15:06:16 994 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh yay this is my kinda thread :D

Cool stuff:

Lunar Flight
    http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-LUNARFLIGHT/lunar-flight

Just getting from A to B has never been more engaging. Amazing physics modelling, incredibly calming and yet tense at the same time. Wonderfully immersive too with real 'moon radio' clips.

Just got the new Wing Commander, gonna give that a go later.

Also EVE, obviously. In fact I have a 75% off voucher on Steam valid til end April if anyone wants it. EG corp is still going strong.

4x Space Strategy Sword of the Stars 2 is nearing release quality after the horribly botched launch last year.

Pioneer is an Elite clone (free), well worth a look.

@ Metaldog - for a more buildy spacesim get X3: Terran Conflict and mod the arse off it. I had hundreds of stations and owned entire sectors at one point, and hundreds of hours of gameplay in it. Just get Cycrow's cheat mod to start with to get you through the learning curve. Don't bother with Albion Prelude unless you really dig Terran Conflict; new ships are nice but the lack of integration kills it imo.

I also can't miss an opportunity to plug the brand new, dedicated Sci-Fi gaming mag that I'm lucky enough to write for:

http://www.playscifi.com/

It's about 1.50 an issue (Zinio for Ipad/Ios/pc etc) or you can sub for cheaper deals. Comes out every 2 months, has a heavy PC focus, will be doing plenty of retrospectives and most importantly has NO REVIEW SCORES. It's made by the same chaps who make EON (the Eve magazine) and is very professionally done. Have a gander at a free preview:

http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=mps897013&o=ext

Apologies for the shameless plug but we need all the help we can get to spread the word, so hope you guys and the mods don't mind!
  • MetalDog 23 Mar 2012 15:07:32 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would really like to play a space game that wasn't heavily about war/battles.
    Maybe I should just design one and shop it around to bored coders.

@orpheus
    I'll take a gander

Edited by MetalDog at 15:08:38 23-03-2012

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• krushing 23 Mar 2012 15:14:18 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StackMonkey wrote:
    @krushing

I can honestly say it's the worst game I have ever played, broken AI, scripting, game physics etc, and that's without the cringeworthy FMV sequences.

Still remember Warhead though, especially that invincible alien you have to trick into following you. Took me a while to figure that one out:-)
    Yeah, Warhead was awesome. Great use of sound & tension - I especially liked that there were missions in which absolutely nothing happened. Made it infinitely more powerful when something did :)
  • orpheus 23 Mar 2012 15:14:26 994 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MetalDog

Try lunar flight, no combat in that at all. Struggling to think of another non combat one really..

Course you can ignore/avoid most combat in X3 as well and play it solely as a trading/building sim, just don't do some of the story missions. :)

EDIT: yeah and FTL too.

Edited by orpheus at 15:15:13 23-03-2012
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:14:56
    MetalDog wrote:
    I would really like to play a space game that wasn't heavily about war/battles.
    I'd personally just like one that doesn't start 'you are a small ship doing your own thing, you get involved with some minor troubles in the local systems with pirates/bad guys/whatever. Then suddenly after a while A MASSIVELY ADVANCED ALIEN RACE ATTACKS, QUICK, IT'S INTERGALACTIC WAR'. It's the literal template for most modern space sims.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:16:19
    ps - if your mind can handle low-res graphics, the utterly amazing Noctis is worth a look. Procedurally generated exploration sim.

Edited by meme at 15:17:51 23-03-2012
  • Lexx87 23 Mar 2012 15:18:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I miss Earth and Beyond, that old space MMO. Liked bumbling about on that as a simple space trader while everyone else did the space wars stuff.

Speak the truth hussy!

• orpheus 23 Mar 2012 15:19:36 994 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    ps - if your mind can handle low-res graphics, the utterly amazing Noctis is worth a look. Procedurally generated exploration sim.
    Heard really good things about Noctis, but I just can't get past the gfx... I am ashamed :(
  • MetalDog 23 Mar 2012 15:28:49 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Effing EG post eating shenanigins.

Edited by MetalDog at 15:29:32 23-03-2012

• MetalDog 23 Mar 2012 15:29:12 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Noctis sounds like a contender :) I like exploring!
    Lunar flight also looks possibly interesting.

Not so keen on the trade-oriented stuff, but terraform and explore I would like. Hunt around for your idea of a perfect base planet, then once you've shacked up there build it up by exploring and mining other worlds for resources you new home planet doesn't have, deal with environmental challenges, possibly aliens (in a non big space war sense - biohazard vs biobenefit would be quite interesting), I'd love that.
    The space bits of Spore would have been good if it had just been more complex and less space pirate infested - and not the way they took it with Galactic adventures, unfortunately.

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:35:05
    Yeah, I'd love for someone to come up with a cross between Elite and Sim City. You start off with a small craft and a basic prefab hub which you launch at whatever suitable planet you choose. You can drop down and make refinements to the base, then have the choice between improving it via mining and crafting off your own back, or setting up trade networks with other colonized planets. All in a background of peace.
  • Lexx87 23 Mar 2012 15:36:05 20,869 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes please!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:38:40
    On a vaguely related note, the build-a-settlement-on-a-planet game Outpost Kaloki cropped up on a new Indie Royale bundle today - http://www.indieroyale.com/
  • MetalDog 23 Mar 2012 15:41:00 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the only race against time space thing I really liked was that Nasa base thing on Steam (what was it called? You have to fix a bunch of shit on the moon). That sort of thing on a much grander scale would be pretty sweet.

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 16:00:39
    figgis wrote:
    PSI-5 Trading company on the C64 is almost never mentioned nowadays.
    That's because we played it on IBM PC :D
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2012 16:14:07 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Is there any decent space games on iOS?
    Galaxy on fire 2
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that over the weekend.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• spamdangled 23 Mar 2012 16:18:32 27,269 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    FTL is definitely on my must get list.

I'd like something a bit more buildy in space. Most of the games with colonisation and building focus purely on preparation for attack, is there anything else out there with more options than massive space war?
    X3: Reunion should be right up your alley.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 16:26:38
    X3 is possibly the least accessible game ever made. It'll take several hours, if not more, of gameplay to even start building stuff properly. I can't remember if it was X3 or another game that removed the time acceleration as a default option and made it something you have to purchase later, but if it was X3 that just makes it even more intolerable.

But if you're looking for a time-sink, it's a good shout.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Mar 2012 16:42:00 25,425 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Privateer 2 had the sexiest ship designs. They even made up for the inclusion of Clive Owen. Man, I used to love that game. Definitely need a remake, please. With less Clive.

Also a higher resolution version of Space Rangers 2 plz.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2012 18:55:21 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    X3 is possibly the least accessible game ever made. It'll take several hours, if not more, of gameplay to even start building stuff properly. I can't remember if it was X3 or another game that removed the time acceleration as a default option and made it something you have to purchase later, but if it was X3 that just makes it even more intolerable.

But if you're looking for a time-sink, it's a good shout.
    I didn't get on with X3, loved X2, but they ruined the game completly with the follow on.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• spamdangled 23 Mar 2012 19:41:33 27,269 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't played the new expansion for it but I've heard it's meant to be very good.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 6 First / Last