Space Sim appreciation thread Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • orpheus 4 Sep 2012 18:13:22 1,000 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not tried it yet but I'm about to pop the download on, will do a proper write-up when I've looked it over. Only thing that concerns me is the 'episodic' nature really - it could be great, but only if they don't take an absolute age between episodes.

Wing Commander Saga is a corker and absolutely massive, I've still not finished it. The voice acting is a bit cringeworthy at times but that barely registers as it's a fan-game, not a proper studio. Well worth the time setting the joystick up if you're a fan of the old WC games. I have similarly high hopes for this - I'll let you know ;)
  • Whizzo 5 Sep 2012 09:16:02 43,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More FTL last night, I can't stop playing the bloody game, it's absolutely brilliant.

Got my basic tactics down pat now, try to use a combo of weapons to take down shields and weapons then keep attacking the weapons so they can't shoot back.

Obviously this doesn't work as well if they've got a teleporter or drones, being boarded is scary stuff.

This space left intentionally blank.

• RunningMan 5 Sep 2012 09:32:28 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IdleThumbs love FTL, will definitely give this a go.
  • Jetset_UK 13 Sep 2012 22:27:02 3,563 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, wonder what this could be! :)

From The Chairman:

Welcome!

If youíve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, youíre still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of todayís computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If youíve played my games, youíll know thatís what I love to do.

Iím here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope youíll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below youíll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the gameís website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. Itís my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you."

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/
  • Dirtbox 13 Sep 2012 22:32:09 77,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whatever GDC Online is, it'll likely be awesome.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:45:31 13-09-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 13 September 2012 22:35:17
    I never realised he directed the Wing Commander film.
  • Whizzo 21 Nov 2012 13:50:02 43,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks like this chap could teach David Braben a thing or two about pitching a space sim on Kickstarter, he's got my backing.

This space left intentionally blank.

• RunningMan 21 Nov 2012 14:47:15 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    May switch my pledge to this from Elite.
  • spindizzy 21 Nov 2012 22:23:04 6,434 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's damn impressive... what a talented little shit! I might even have to fund that too...
  • pauleyc 21 Nov 2012 22:59:42 4,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I promised myself to take a long break from Kickstarter after Star Citizen got funded. Not going to happen thanks to this guy.
  • spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 18:14:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone played Drox Operative?

I've just read this over at RPS and it's got me hovering over the buy button.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• jellyhead 8 Jan 2013 18:20:29 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Giant Bomb - Drox Operative - Quick Look

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Rusty_M 15 Feb 2013 21:34:48 4,638 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I just reinstalled Freespace2 and Freespace open and a few mods for that. I've basically been playing it all week. It's looking beautiful these days, and I have to say that Diaspora seems pretty spectacular after I had a little trouble persuading it to recognise my joystick. It works beautifully with TrackIR and somehow has 6DOF which the rest of Freespace Open doesn't seem to support.

There may be hardly any space games of it's ilk available to buy, but damn, Freespace has still got it.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Dirtbox 7 Mar 2013 04:01:43 77,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just heard about a new kickstarter for what looks to be a pretty amazing game, sadly I doubt it'll make the money at this stage, but it deserves a look.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Phattso Moderator 7 Mar 2013 05:08:11 13,259 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    300K is a big target for some no-mark developer, but it'd be great to see it get made.
  • spindizzy 5 Apr 2013 18:04:01 6,434 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interview with Notch here:
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/5/4183864/minecraft-scrolls-0x10c-the-past-present-and-future-of-mojang-as-seen

Don't expect 0x10c any time soon (if ever!) :-(
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2013 16:20:45 2,935 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fellow spacecadets,

I've been mucking about with X3 Terran Conflict lately and have been playing around with adding a variety of Sci Fi multiverse ships into the game. None of the ships were made by me, and most of them came from links on the Egosoft forums - if you grab Cycrow's excellent package manager you should see the names of the authors, and you will need this program in order to add the ships to the game. Grab Cycrow's package manager from here.

What I've done is edit the ship files so that the new ships replace existing ones, and I have tried to balance the ships to the vanilla game, as far as possible. I've replaced the vanilla races with the following:

Argon - Battlestar Galactica Colonials, plus ships from Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, and a few Babylon 5 ships

Boron - The Dominion (well, kind of), which features non-Federation ships from Star Trek, such as Klingon, Cardassian, and Romulan ships

Paranid - The Empire from Star Wars, including TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers and stuff

Teladi - The Rebel Alliance from Star Wars, so X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings and that kind of thing

Terran - The Federation from Star Trek

Xenon - The Cylons, so Raiders, Heavy Raiders, and Base Stars (not sure the Base Star is working properly)

Yaki - Random Star Wars ships that I had left over

The ships are all zipped up into individual folders for each race, and are generally clearly labelled, so you can pick and choose which ones you use. You might need to install them in smaller batches, rather than in bulk, but I can confirm that I have tested all of them and they are working with my (Steam) version of X:TC.

I had grand plans for modding the universe, re-naming planets, creating missions, and so on, and I *might* get around to doing that one day, but I thought I would share what I have done so far in case anyone fancies playing around with it. Let me know if you do, and if you have any tips for improving things.

Ships are available here as a rar archive (198MB)

Many thanks to Cycrow, all of the ship creators (Jorkin, Deadly_DA, HawkBS, Tenchin, Arachno, and anyone else I have missed), the community on the Egosoft forums, and Egosoft themselves. One day I will play a proper game of X:TC, rather than just mucking about with modding it!

Edit - added file size of the .rar file to the post

Edited by tincanrocket at 16:27:02 18-04-2013
  • Salaman 2 Jul 2013 09:42:24 18,953 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone want to give this a go?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/253390
  • Mr-Brett 2 Jul 2013 09:54:03 12,746 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It lost me at MOBA but looks shiny :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• spindizzy 9 Aug 2013 07:04:36 6,434 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting!
    http://kotaku.com/holy-pants-this-massive-space-sim-is-looking-good-1071657483?autoplay=1

Edit: damn, pc only. Not for me then. :-(

Edited by spindizzy at 07:08:18 09-08-2013
  • RunningMan 6 Sep 2013 08:52:34 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Browser Wing Commander game under development. Going to be according to the devs. Looks like it could be a lot of fun.
  • PenguinJim 6 Sep 2013 09:15:23 5,810 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Going to be what? Going to be WHAT?! Free? Cheap? Released tomorrow? The best game ever? WHAT?!?! :champ:
  • RunningMan 6 Sep 2013 09:54:38 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love me a bit of free :). You can even fly on planets!
  • orpheus 6 Sep 2013 18:57:05 1,000 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're in a Wing Commander mood, get Wing Commander Saga. It's also free (and really quite good):

http://www.wcsaga.com/

Edited by orpheus at 18:57:24 06-09-2013
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next