Space Sim appreciation thread Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• insolent 4 Jun 2012 18:03:21 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @orpheus

I suppose it is a bit odd, you're right. :) No, I'm not involved with development, I've just been following it very closely for a couple months now. It'd be fair to say I'm obsessed with the game - I think you could do worse for a game to be obsessed with. You're right, it's loaded with potential, and will likely be the most realistic and fun space sim to date.
  • orpheus 4 Jun 2012 18:41:22 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @insolent

Fair enough! :D
  • spindizzy 4 Jun 2012 22:41:05 6,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm. As a (massive) fan of mine craft, I feel a bit bad saying that the graphics look rubbish, but they really do. I hope it turns out well - the ideas are really interesting, but having read those links I'm a bit dubious that it can be pulled off.

I'd have said exactly the same about minecraft though so I look forward to being proven wrong. ;-)
  • Dirtbox 4 Jun 2012 23:11:29 77,474 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most obvious shill ever, but all spacey stuff is good in my book. It does need a whopping great big hand with it's looks though, I thought the first screenshot I saw was corrupted somehow. Fairly typical when a programmer tries to take on design work.

Edited by Dirtbox at 23:19:40 04-06-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Bremenacht 5 Jun 2012 00:17:03 17,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FTL (the, err, spacesim rogue-like..?) draws closer to completion.

Star-fox like sector progressions!
    Stealth!
    Mantis intruders!
    Awesum wehpons!
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Jun 2012 00:59:45 231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nobody's mentioned Startopia yet?

*Shakes head and tisks*

http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_startopia.htm

Made by Mucky Foot. A british developer sadly gone out of business, but not before creating this humorous gem of a game.

Think sims in space meets tropico, theme hospital and dungeon keeper.

Antfarm, tabletop empire building game about a donut shaped space station, consisting out of a utility, entertainment and biodome level. You need to pop down buildings on each, to entertain and maintain a steady stream of alien visitors, who can be hired to perform special jobs on your station. Healthcare, garbage disposal, sex & love, farming, crime & security, commerce, religion and tourism.

Build colorful promenades, watch hundreds of them visit concubines, perform malpractice, get arrested, turn to religion, meandar through your biodome meadows only to get eaten by a massive space monster. See them chat eachother up, goof off, take so much time at the loo others bang on the door, go out for lunch and splurge on trinkets your own industry build. Deal with epedemics, armed takeovers from competitors and infectious kittens called meemus.

The game has lost support and it's a bit buggy A.I. wise, but it's worth it for the incredible detail and humor.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jun 2012 02:16:52 77,474 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's great, but it's not nearly in the same genre.

• insolent 5 Jun 2012 03:28:41 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dirtbox

I can assure you I'm not a "shill," and I'm sorry that my enthusiasm to spread the word about the game made you think so. I'm simply a rabid fan who's been following the game for the past couple months. Dirkson isn't the kind of guy who'd employ a shill - take me at my word on that.

Anyway, the graphics theme is purposely retro; however, that first screenshot you mentioned as seeming "corrupt" is likely due to the way the game currently doesn't texture blocks at middle distances: keep in mind the game is in pre-alpha. It will handle graphics rendering considerably better at the final release.

EDIT: Having looked at the pic again, I'll also say the lighting system is being revamped, and a new raycaster being written. Right now the lighting does look pretty flat.

Edited by insolent at 04:08:01 05-06-2012
  • insolent 5 Jun 2012 03:43:28 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's great, but it's not nearly in the same genre.
    I've got to agree - Startopia has looked interesting to me since I was a kid (though I never played it), but it's not a space sim. More like a city builder in space.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jun 2012 06:22:06 77,474 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keep your trousers on, I wasn't having a dig. I don't care one way or the other.

I hadn't heard of it before so it's nice to add something to the list.

• orpheus 10 Jun 2012 19:45:48 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Posting on the off chance really as very few people seem to play it, but the crew of new sci-fi mag & blog PlaySF will be playing zero-g FPS Shattered Horizon tonight at 8pmm and any EG space-heads are very welcome to join us.

We'll be the only server with players, should be easy to spot! :D
  • monkehhh 10 Jun 2012 20:11:47 3,269 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @orpheus Is there no official servers or anything for this now? I start it up but I just get a "searching" message and it never finds any servers..

Balls to it - kept crashing, no servers, etc - used to be fun :/

Edited by monkehhh at 20:31:19 10-06-2012
  • orpheus 10 Jun 2012 22:37:54 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkehhh

Yeah servers seem a bit flaky, I get 10 or so maybe but have to wait a while before it refreshes sometimes. There's one called 'bunny's mixed paradise' or something along those lines, we were in that.

Join the PlaySF steam group if you want to tag along on the next one, maybe we can get it working!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PlaySF
  • orpheus 12 Jun 2012 21:13:14 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkehhh and others, another impromptu night of SH is on right now - we're in Lego Bunny's Mixed Paradise server. Join the PlaySF steam group and hop in group chat if anyone has problems joining!
  • monkehhh 12 Jun 2012 21:40:16 3,269 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @orpheus Will definitely give it a shot one night soon, used to have some serious zero G fun with SH. Currently swamped in assignment-writing hell \o/
  • orpheus 13 Jun 2012 00:24:25 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkehhh

I hear that, just finished all that myself! No probs, keep an eye on the steam group for games :)
  • monkehhh 17 Jun 2012 22:22:27 3,269 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @orpheus Got it working finally anyway (with a weird config line to skip intro videos).. found some servers.. all bots!
  • orpheus 17 Jun 2012 23:25:24 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkehhh

nice one, will shout up when the next game's on!
  • Razz 24 Jul 2012 12:17:48 60,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    There's an interesting looking 4X space game called Endless Space listed on steam at the moment. Lot of bitching in the forums about the combat, though.
    HAs anyone played endless space here? It's looks like something I might like

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• WrongShui 24 Jul 2012 12:19:41 6,601 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit bland but well executed.
  • TheRealBadabing 24 Jul 2012 13:34:01 1,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Put a couple of day's worth of play into Endless Space, I really enjoy it (obviously).

Doesn't have the depth of Gal Civ 2, especially with regards to diplomacy, but it is a lot more user-friendly. Definitely milks the one-more-turn gland.
  • orpheus 24 Jul 2012 13:40:23 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Razz

Yep, it's brilliant, especially in the multiplayer.
  • shamblemonkee 24 Jul 2012 13:45:41 14,273 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The AI is brutal
  • Bremenacht 31 Aug 2012 16:18:56 17,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two more weeks until FTL is released. \o/

Edited by Bremenacht at 16:19:26 31-08-2012
  • Dirtbox 31 Aug 2012 16:35:26 77,474 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Almost completely forgot about that game, really looking forward to it again now.

0x10c was another that I'd nearly forgotten about, no idea what's going on there, doesn't seem to have budged much since the large info spew early in the year.

• spindizzy 31 Aug 2012 17:38:38 6,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. Notch has basically stopped talking about it.
  • Whizzo 3 Sep 2012 20:52:42 43,036 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blimey FTL is very good indeed, it's also very fucking hard! Great old school stuff that really reminds me of pouring over space ship deck plans when I used to play the excellent Traveller P&P RPG.

Very happy with my $10 contribution to the Kickstarter.

This space left intentionally blank.

• orpheus 4 Sep 2012 17:34:13 994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New episodic BSG space-shooter in the Freespace 2 engine, out today:

http://www.blog.playscifi.com/diaspora-shattered-armistice-released/
  • Rusty_M 4 Sep 2012 17:57:02 4,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Impressions?

I forgot to play that Wing Commander one. Need to map the controls to my joystick.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 6 First / Last