Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengance)

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • semprini 8 May 2006 09:53:43 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lady Vengeance is out to rent and buy today.
    It's the last in Park Chan-Wook's vengeance trilogy.

Going to put it on my ScreenSelect rental list, as I enjoyed the first two (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Oldboy).

Has anyone seen Lady Vengeance? Is it as good as the others?

Edit: for those interested, IMDB links to the three films:
    Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
    Oldboy
    Lady Vengeance

Edited by semprini at 11:45:38 23-07-2007
  • Dirtbox 8 May 2006 09:57:40 79,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only seen Oldboy, how are the others related?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• semprini 8 May 2006 10:10:37 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    they're not directly related, just that it was the director's three films about revenge.

there's a very nice looking boxset you can get, but only in Japanese at the moment.

hoping they'll release something like that with English subs.
  • ralphwolfenstein 8 May 2006 10:40:06 1,038 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are 'thematically' linked, but there's no narrative thread between the three

Lady Vengeance is not as good as Oldboy, but then hardly anything is

It's still rather special
  • semprini 8 May 2006 10:55:04 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think i preffered Sympathy for Mr Vengeance to be honest. But i need to watch Oldboy again, i think we were drinking and talking while trying to watch it first time (which is never a good idea with a subtitled film).
  • Aretak 8 May 2006 10:56:07 10,376 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is a better film than Oldboy in my opinion. Lady Vengeance is the weakest of three, but still good.
  • semprini 1 Aug 2006 17:01:55 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    they're not directly related, just that it was the director's three films about revenge.

there's a very nice looking boxset you can get, but only in Japanese at the moment.

Not that anyone showed any interest at the time... but for those that enjoyed the trilogy, they are planning to release a box set in the UK after all:

The Vengeance Trilogy Deluxe Edition Box Set

Stupidly overpriced at 56 at the moment, but certainly one i'lll want to get at some point.
  • Tomo 1 Aug 2006 17:05:00 13,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still haven't seen Lady yet. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. Oldboy is a work of genius and Mr isn't far off either. They are terrific films.
  • jellyhead 1 Aug 2006 17:05:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Semprini

Sorry mate, couldn't resist saying it. ;)
    I'll be keeping my eyes on that for a price cut too, cheers.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• semprini 1 Aug 2006 17:11:21 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I still haven't seen Lady yet. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. Oldboy is a work of genius and Mr isn't far off either. They are terrific films.
    Well after finally watching Lady Vengeance a month or so back, I was a bit dissapointed. Still worth a watch, but not as good as the previous two.

Off topic, but I just ordered A Bittersweet Life too. Awesome film!
  • Deleted user 1 August 2006 17:12:17
    I really liked Lady, its very different from the other two with a different emphisis on the whole revenge thing. Probably the least 'commercial' of the trilogy but it still carries great 'weight' if you like your films with a philisophical bent (and if you're a fan of Park then you probably do).
  • semprini 1 Aug 2006 17:15:56 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whitey McCool wrote:
    Intrigued to here what people have to see about Mr, is it really that good? I've had it on my Blockbuster list for ages but still no sign of it.
    I do need to watch Oldboy again, but at the moment I still think Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is the best of the three.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2006 17:19:10
    Yep, Mr is great, but just don't expect another Oldboy, it's got a different (but still very good) style to it. Same goes as expecting Lady to be another Mr.

Edited by disussedgenius at 17:19:27 01-08-2006
  • Tomo 12 Aug 2006 20:11:45 13,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched Lady and really really enjoyed it. Park Chan-wook is a really superb director; he manages to make three completely different films out of one subject, which are all brilliant.

Lady is absolutely gorgeous and it feels much more measured than the other two. The last act with the families is great! At one point I was really straining to watch the children on video, but then in the next I was grinning wickedly.

If I had to plump for my favourite, I'd say Oldboy, but it's extremely close. It's certainly on of thebest trilogies ever.
  • quedex 12 Aug 2006 20:23:05 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems like a good a place as any to say that Virgin have got the Tartan special editions of Oldboy and Sympathy in their 3 for 20 offer at the mo.
  • Aretak 12 Aug 2006 20:36:34 10,376 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also worth mentioning that there's a special trilogy boxset coming out in October, which will contain 2-disc SE's of all three films, with a host of new extras (including the fade to black and white version of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance).
  • Tomo 13 Aug 2006 00:30:23 13,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, there's a link to that up top. But at 60+ from play.com it is absolutely taking the piss. That is the worst priced DVD EVER. Even worse than releasing Lost in two parts over here.

/seethes.
  • Bazlurgan 13 Aug 2006 08:23:44 25 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fantastic film. Oldboy is still my favorite of the three (really wasn't as keen on Mr Vengeance).

Everyone must see these films, they are by far the best films I have seen in recent years.
  • semprini 20 Sep 2006 17:24:36 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    semprini wrote:

Not that anyone showed any interest at the time... but for those that enjoyed the trilogy, they are planning to release a box set in the UK after all:

The Vengeance Trilogy Deluxe Edition Box Set

Stupidly overpriced at 56 at the moment, but certainly one i'lll want to get at some point.
    An update on the Vengeance Trilogy box set.

Now listed at a staggering 64 at Play.com
    And almost a bargain at just 60 at Amazon.co.uk

So, the prices still suck.
    Both sites have some pictures and details now. The sets include newly remastered double disc editions of all three films. But i'm not really liking the giant purple box. I guess it needed to be that big to fit the hammer bottle opener... Still, the gun blueprint is nice :-)

Released 23rd October.
    If they half the price by Christmas maybe it will be on my list.

• Deleted user 20 September 2006 17:26:29
    I want that bottle opener more than anything else at the moment!

And I don't even drink beer.

I disgust myself :(
  • Huntcjna 20 Sep 2006 17:30:40 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this the same set over on import?

30.99 delivered from Playusa.com

I was actually looking at this today but only because I was searching for the Oldboy triple disc US set.

/wants
  • nick303 20 Sep 2006 17:43:32 1,525 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For 40 you can get the non deluxe boxset
  • semprini 20 Sep 2006 17:46:34 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nick303 wrote:
    For 40 you can get the non deluxe boxset
    Oh, nice one, I didn't see that.

40 for 3 movies still ain't great, but it's a bit more like it.

edit: nice find too Huntcjna, looks like the non-deluxe version is cheaper if you import.

Think i'll wait a while anyway. One for the xmas list :-)

Edited by semprini at 17:47:41 20-09-2006
  • semprini 4 Oct 2006 17:00:02 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lady Vengeance is on Film 4 tomorrow night, for anyone who is still waiting to watch this.

Followed by Oldboy on Friday night!

film 4 listings
  • Scurrminator 4 Oct 2006 17:28:09 8,465 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    playusa have been shocking with me lately, two weeks for both my lost set and BSG series one set. lame.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Huntcjna 4 Oct 2006 17:29:48 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thats probably a punishment for buying BSG in the first place. :p

They have been toss with me too though 2 weeks for Veronica Mars and a 9 customs charge. :(

/bookmarks movietyme
  • semprini 5 Oct 2006 14:26:16 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    Lady Vengeance is on Film 4 tomorrow night, for anyone who is still waiting to watch this.

Followed by Oldboy on Friday night!

film 4 listings
    Bumped, to remind you to watch it tonight, at 10:50pm.
  • Mordum 6 Oct 2006 01:21:35 259 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished watching it on Film Four. I have'nt yet seen Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (shame on me I know), but considering it's not exactly a real sequel I figured it would'nt matter watching this one first... and I'm glad I did.

So far Chan-wook Park seems like a bit of a genius to me, this and Old Boy have blown me away. I'm just hoping Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and JSA both live up to my expectations now... can anyone confirm they do?

I loved the scene near the end where all the parents are sat down in 'line of order' each with their own plastic overralls and weapons (second to last with a battle axe!) waiting to go in, but how even the first one in held herself back from straight up killing the guy is beyond me... especially after witnessing those tapes (I know for sure I would have torn him to pieces at that moment). I'm all for vigilante justice like this in these circumstances.

Sorry, but my thoughts are a little messed up at the moment, as I've had a couple of drinks, but don't get the wrong idea, I've got tomorrow off work... I'm not an alcoholic or anything ;)

Edited by Mordum at 01:22:57 06-10-2006
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous