Metroid Prime 3 - No Spoilers Page 2

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• BartonFink 16 Apr 2006 13:30:35 34,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Teeth wrote:
    Prime = first, and Metroid Prime is an FPS.
    Must resist urge. Gnnnnnnnnnh
  • silentbob 16 Apr 2006 13:31:38 28,956 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    No true, but after Echoes I don't trust Retro quite as much as I do Nintendo.
    Actually I'm wondering if Ninty were a little less hands-on after the success of MP1. I remember hearing the Shigsy was a regular fixture at their studios during production of the first game. And I know that they scrapped and restarted at least once under his supervision.

Let's hope that regime returns for the 3rd in the series.

Shiggsy seems a real nut-buster dosenīt he? Didnīt he recently do something similiar with Chibi-Robo?
    I don't care. He's one of the few people I would quite freely call a genius. If his managment style produces collaborative work as glorious as Metroid Prime I'd advocate Chinese Water torture as long as I got the chance to play something as good again. ;)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• BartonFink 16 Apr 2006 13:32:38 34,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any chance of a proper save system this time I wonder?
  • silentbob 16 Apr 2006 13:35:00 28,956 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Any chance of a proper save system this time I wonder?
    Ahh - here it comes. Second only to the FPS vs FPS argument was the 'back tracking' fight. :D

Seconds awaaaayy - round 2!!!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• SirScratchalot 16 Apr 2006 13:40:01 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    No true, but after Echoes I don't trust Retro quite as much as I do Nintendo.
    Actually I'm wondering if Ninty were a little less hands-on after the success of MP1. I remember hearing the Shigsy was a regular fixture at their studios during production of the first game. And I know that they scrapped and restarted at least once under his supervision.

Let's hope that regime returns for the 3rd in the series.

Shiggsy seems a real nut-buster dosenīt he? Didnīt he recently do something similiar with Chibi-Robo?
    I don't care. He's one of the few people I would quite freely call a genius. If his managment style produces collaborative work as glorious as Metroid Prime I'd advocate Chinese Water torture as long as I got the chance to play something as good again. ;)

Oh it wasnīt critique, more admiration that he can walk into games as diverse as pikimin and metroid prime and still know exactly what he wants.
  • ProfessorLesser 16 Apr 2006 13:42:10 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember the early screens of Metroid Prime for N64, then the news that it had been canned (t3h n03s!) and then the news that the almighty Shiggsy had waded in and taken the helm, and that this glorious image is what the project was now going for...

/tear

I don't even understand the save points argument. At all.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2006 13:47:15
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Ready does not necessarily equal good.

I would like a GC controller option on MP3 (that is going to be quite a confusing acronym), just in case.

To be honest I think 'ready' does generally mean good in Nintendo's case. I don't think they'd shy away from pulling the title from the show altogether if it wasn't up to scratch.

And I think the chances of GC controller options in the game are slim at best. Nintendo have always had a kinda arrogant attitude to their control systems; how many Nintendo games have you ever played where you had the option to reconfigure the controls?

To be fair they do often get the controls bang on, but in something like DS Mario Kart, where the option to move the buttons about to suit differently-sized hands would've been a godsend, it's just bloody annoying.

So yeah, I expect to only be given the option to use the wand controller, and the game'll sink or swim based on that alone. I don't think they'll make any compromises.
  • ProfessorLesser 16 Apr 2006 13:58:14 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    To be honest I think 'ready' does generally mean good in Nintendo's case.
    Yeah, I know...
    I don't think they'd shy away from pulling the title from the show altogether if it wasn't up to scratch.
    Wouldn't put it past 'em, nope.
    I think the chances of GC controller options in the game are slim at best.
    Oh, if that.
    To be fair they do often get the controls bang on
    So I've noticed, yeah.

Thing is, this is kind of a new step. A really big one, and one that they haven't had experience with before. Not only that, they don't have experience of how consumers will react to anything on the system. In the past, Nintendo have had tried and tested control methods, with minor adjustments, and where they've thought a game was good, it generally was.

Now, though, I see a lot of potential for them to be just completely wrong, because of the large unknown they're stepping into. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of faith, and I couldn't be more excited about a properly executed Metroid with me behind the visor (still keeping that visor in mind, too...), but I think any confidence at this point could be reasonably said to be misplaced - we just don't know yet.

I'm going on the principle that waving this stick around to make stuff happen can only be fun. Trouble is, that's not how we're used to playing Metroid and Zelda. Any new IP for the system I'm sure will be fun for that reason alone - but Metroid and Zelda are established franchises that are already fun for different reasons. So I'm left wondering how fun the end product will be, and can only leave my fingers crossed.
  • Teeth 16 Apr 2006 14:03:35 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The n64 pad was pretty weird at first, IMO.

I expect N have done a fair amount of research on the controller. I reckon they know it works. I also think that the change from 2D to 3D metroid was a pretty big step, and I'd say that using an analogue stick and lock on from a first person perspective is NOT how we're "used" to playing Metroid.
  • ProfessorLesser 16 Apr 2006 14:06:56 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Teeth wrote:
    I reckon they know it works.
    That is privately what I am telling myself.

You're right about Metroid, too. I hadn't thought of that. The only difference was, it was still a joypad we were using, even if the game itself changed.

Now it's more the other way round. As far as we know, that is - the game may have changed a great deal.
  • Teeth 16 Apr 2006 14:09:45 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's true. At the moment I'm assuming that it's going to be similar to MP:H.
  • ProfessorLesser 16 Apr 2006 14:10:47 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tell you what, I fecking hope not.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2006 14:26:44
    I do see the reasoning for being concerned the game will simply be Metroid contorted to fit a new control mechanism but the thing is, like Mario and Zelda, it's such an extensible franchise that they can do this without losing the core tenets of the series. It will still be a beautiful, lonely exploration of an alien planet teeming with weird and wonderful lifeforms, and it'll still be ingeniously designed.

If Nintendo were simply taking an existing game and adding Revolution control (a la Mario 64 DS), then I think you would have a right to be concerned. But as I said above, this is a title that has been developed from the ground up to work with the new controller. And as a result I fully expect the controller to only enhance the gameplay, not hamper it.
  • Chtulie 16 Apr 2006 14:28:28 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Nintendo have stated in the past about Revolution demos that nothing will be shown until it's at a hands on ready stage so that people can experience the game for themselves.

I doubt they'll fall to any of the antics that some of their competitors have shown in the past:
    "Hey look, guys, this really is real-time! Let me pause the action, while you watch me turn the still image about with a previous-gen controller..."
    (That's effectively just a 3d screenshot.)

There would be very little point to show anything if you can't have a hands on experience with revelution games, would there? I mean, it's not like the graphics or sound are the main diffiating/selling point, it's the play experience on which it hopes to outdo the competition. And how is one supposed to convey that in any way other then letting people have a go at it?
    It certainly seems to work well for the DS. Show a ds with a game to people and they might have some interest, let them play and experiment with it, and they'll be hooked and they can't not buy a DS themselves.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 13:58:52
    I was just thinking about the control scheme for Metroid Prime 3, and I thought it might be nice if we built a campfire and started to hypothesise how the controls might be mapped on to the REVmote, (or wand, if that's what we'll be calling it):

/Builds campfire

Analogue Stick - Movement and Strafing (and controlling the morphball);
    Z1 - Jump;
    Z2 - Scan/Lock On;

B - 1ary Fire Button (Main Cannon);
    A - 2ary Fire Button (Missiles etc.);
    D-Pad - Toggle various Visors;
    Wand - Looking + Turning around.

I then reckon that by turning the REVmote over (anti-clockwise about the axis of your arm, assuming you're right-handed, as if you were pouring a cold cuppa tae down the sink) you could cycle through the weapons.

(Also, I vote that the scan visor be used as a weapon this time around. I thought it was cool the way those cunt-bots uploaded viruses in MP2, and I want in on the action).

So, anyone?
    /Pokes fire
    /Gets some marshmallows
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 14:14:13
    Hm, you raise an interesting point; even with the nunchuck attachment, the controller still comes up short with respect to buttons. How do you change weapons, for instance?

An interesting thing I've just thought though is that technically you could actually do movement and looking all on the wand; move it forwards/back/left/right to move, and rotate it to look. I think it'd be nigh-on unusable but it's interesting nonetheless.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 14:20:13
    nekotcha wrote:
    Hm, you raise an interesting point; even with the nunchuck attachment, the controller still comes up short with respect to buttons. How do you change weapons, for instance?

An interesting thing I've just thought though is that technically you could actually do movement and looking all on the wand; move it forwards/back/left/right to move, and rotate it to look. I think it'd be nigh-on unusable but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Actually, I covered that in my post. Moving the wand closer to the screen and further away, and rotating it clockwise and anti-clockwise will have no effect on where the wand is pointing, so in theory they could be used for weapon cycling... or whatever.
  • Teeth 17 Apr 2006 14:21:26 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You won't need a lock on. Could you stop calling it the "REVmote", please? It's intensely annoying.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 14:23:57
    Teeth wrote: You won't need a lock on. Could you stop calling it the "REVmote", please? It's intensely annoying.
    I think I already said I'd stop calling it that, so chill out man. Anyway, you do need a lock-on button since it has to double as a scan button anyway.
    /Ponders
    Although, if there's no lock-on, you might move the wand closer to trhe screen to affect a scan... Interesting...
  • Teeth 17 Apr 2006 14:33:21 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe they'll do away with visors altogether, or link the guns and visors so that selecting a certain weapon also selects a visor. Or maybe lose the secondary fire. However I think about it something has to be dropped, though.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 14:39:41
    Teeth wrote:
    Maybe they'll do away with visors altogether, or link the guns and visors so that selecting a certain weapon also selects a visor. Or maybe lose the secondary fire. However I think about it something has to be dropped, though.
    Think harder... Or read my posts. It's all there in black and white...
  • BartonFink 17 Apr 2006 14:40:28 34,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same here it't very hard to figure out how they would implement weapons cycling with the REVmote. Not very many buttons to work with. That aspect just screams awkwardness. I am sure they sort some scheme with the REVmote though.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 14:41:39
    BartonFink wrote:
    Same here it't very hard to figure out how they would implement weapons cycling with the REVmote. Not very many buttons to work with. That aspect just screams awkwardness. I am sure they sort some scheme with the REVmote though.
    Nice over-usage of the word REVmote there BF... :)
  • BartonFink 17 Apr 2006 14:43:33 34,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad to be of service :D
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 17 Apr 2006 14:52:59 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Couldn't you use the D-Pad for weapon cycling?
  • Teeth 17 Apr 2006 15:18:48 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And visors?
  • Deleted user 17 April 2006 15:25:56
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Couldn't you use the D-Pad for weapon cycling?

But if it doesn't use the intricate 3D space refinement that you will only get from the Revolution! Using a d-pad to cycle weapons. Pah! Not original enough at all.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 17 Apr 2006 15:34:33 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Teeth wrote:
    And visors?
    Push left/right to cycle weapons
    Push up/down to cycle visors
  • Teeth 17 Apr 2006 15:41:53 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WellI thought for a bit you could have a quick menu to select visors and weapons, but it'd just be a pain to use in a pinch. What I mean is press a button to bring up a menu and use the wand to point at what you want to use.

Using the different axes on the d-pad to cycle different things is definitely out, it's never worked in any game I can think of.

Edited by Teeth at 15:42:20 17-04-2006
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 17 Apr 2006 15:52:36 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Teeth wrote:Using the different axes on the d-pad to cycle different things is definitely out, it's never worked in any game I can think of.

Alternatively you could have the four directions as soft-keys and just map whatever visor/weapon you like to one of the four directions.
  • Page

of 75 First / Last