The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 330

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• GrandpaUlrira 12 May 2013 21:15:30 3,751 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have the Cybermen always been like the Borg?
  • DFawkes 12 May 2013 21:28:15 22,059 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not so overtly, I don't think. Not that I think it's such a bad idea, given how much of a threat the Borg are. Or were before Voyager ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• spamdangled 12 May 2013 21:48:17 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @darkmorgado stupid nostalgic nonsense
    What is?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 12 May 2013 21:49:33 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    Have the Cybermen always been like the Borg?
    It would be more accurate to say that the Borg are like the Cybermen.

But yeah, it's only in the new series where they have been so overt over the whole "assimilation" thing.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 12 May 2013 21:50:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado the people you wrote about looking back at the rtd era with crazy nostalgia glasses
  • spamdangled 12 May 2013 21:52:18 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    Its Hugh. They've just been spelling it wrong. Dr Hugh
    That immediately made me think of House :)

• spamdangled 12 May 2013 21:54:06 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @darkmorgado the people you wrote about looking back at the rtd era with crazy nostalgia glasses
    Ah ok, I thought it was an insult directed at me!

It's bizarre though, how many people who derided Dr Who during his tenure who now scream that Moffat is "ruining" the series. Especially considering Moffat wrote a hell of a lot of the RTD era episodes.

• RobTheBuilder 12 May 2013 22:03:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado he basically wrote most of the good ones! Some people are just never happy, I notice a huge similarity with some F1 fans..!
  • spamdangled 12 May 2013 22:10:22 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's the same with any fanbase in any medium. They all whine that they want something different, then when you give them something different they whine that you've changed things. There's no pleasing idiots like that.

• DFawkes 12 May 2013 22:18:52 22,059 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I'm not convinced - adapting to weapons, collective conciousness and the new style of almost viral assimilation are very Borg, certainly more Borg than the Cybermen have even been before. Not that it's a bad thing, and the Borg certainly took their origins from something similar to the Cybermen. But as far as abilities go, the Cybermen of Nightmare in Silver do seem to have a few new Borg-like characteristics.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• MatMan562 12 May 2013 22:22:30 1,906 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I think my major problem with the Cybers is they still don't seem to DO anything. They just sort of wander around and stand to attention a lot. And given that first one was so fast, why did the others take so long getting into the castle?
    I just had a thought about this. I don't think this was given as a reason but it would make sense if it was because it had more processing power as they were only powering the one cyberman at that time. It would be a good way of being able to make 1 cyberman almost as much of a threat as 5 million anyway.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• spamdangled 12 May 2013 22:36:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I'm not convinced - adapting to weapons, collective conciousness and the new style of almost viral assimilation are very Borg, certainly more Borg than the Cybermen have even been before. Not that it's a bad thing, and the Borg certainly took their origins from something similar to the Cybermen. But as far as abilities go, the Cybermen of Nightmare in Silver do seem to have a few new Borg-like characteristics.
    They've assimilated like that since the 80's - hence the line this week "not even cybermats anymore, now you're cybermites"

I see where you're coming from (the "upgrade in progress" thing was very much like Borg adaptive tech), but to be honest Borg and Cybermen are pretty distinct. Even in NiS (when has a Borg ever moved at super-speed?)

The way I see it, the Borg are just Trek's version of zombies - slow moving and only a real threat in numbers. Plus they're not sentient in the traditional sense. The Cybermen are.

Edited by darkmorgado at 22:41:59 12-05-2013

• Whizzo 12 May 2013 22:52:38 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Cybermen were not only responsible for the death of the dinosaurs but of Adric, at the same time, therefore the cyborgs who really hate gold will always be better than the Borg.

This space left intentionally blank.

• GiarcYekrub 13 May 2013 00:55:00 3,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first episode of Star Trek to feature the Borg was Q Who

Personally I love Doctor Who under Moffet, I was just saying to my Dad that under RTD I felt like I was always having to make allowances for cringe inducing scenes. I did prefer S7a to S7b but I think its got stronger as it gone on. So yeah I'm a content fan ATM
  • Scimarad 13 May 2013 07:25:02 8,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:...under RTD I felt like I was always having to make allowances for cringe inducing scenes...
    I still do that but not half as much. It's kind of going in that direction again, though.
  • spamdangled 13 May 2013 07:34:34 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Using the sonic screwdriver as magical maguffin certainly doesn't fucking help in that regard. The old series barely gave the damn thing a look-in, now it seems to get pulled out in every single scene.

Edited by darkmorgado at 07:35:36 13-05-2013

• King_Edward 13 May 2013 07:43:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It's the same with any fanbase in any medium. They all whine that they want something different, then when you give them something different they whine that you've changed things. There's no pleasing idiots like that.
    This nonsense is a far too common of an opinion. The people whinging about one, are rarely the same people whinging about the other.
  • spamdangled 13 May 2013 09:05:59 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rubbish. You see it all the time. People moan about DLC then shell out 12 quid a time for map packs, moan about COD but buy every installment, whinge about Eastenders but watch it avidly every episode, complain about piracy but think nothing of downloading music, etc.

Hypocrisy isn't rare, it's the norm, particularly among fanbases.

• nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:11:07 55,849 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The sonic screwdriver isnt really a macguffin and, even if it were, its so well established that its the go-to plot crutch, it shouldnt really be a surprise when he uses it anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Whizzo 13 May 2013 09:14:37 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unfortunately the sonic screwdriver is his magic wand now, I suppose it beats him fiddling about with stuff spouting technobabble but it would be nice if it got toned down a bit.

• Blerk Moderator 13 May 2013 09:18:37 48,224 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, for a screwdriver it's remarkably versatile. Even back in the day they rarely used it for anything other than breaking stuff, now it seems to serve whatever purpose it needs to in order to get them out of the situation.

I think it's the 'scanning stuff' function that narks me the most. It doesn't even have a display!
  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:24:26 55,849 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has been somewhat toned down from the RTD era.

Its weird. In this day and age, he needs a gizmo of sorts. The enemies are so different from the ones he used to face and the way he got out of danger would be laughable now.

Its just for the sake of the plot, really. Like when he told the kids to take a nap in the museum of horrors, rather than locking them in the tardis.

If it were not for the screwdriver, he wouldnt be able to get into any mild peril without the outcome being properly laughable.

He totally called it

• Whizzo 13 May 2013 09:27:58 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Doctor's gizmo was always his brain, he didn't need a green glowing stick (unless it was dark) to get out of tricky situations.

• nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:34:50 55,849 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And while that is admirable, it doesnt really work in the era of the welsh chase music orchestra.

He totally called it

• Spectral 13 May 2013 09:40:43 4,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Blerk Silly or not it has said in past eps it has a telepathic interface. point and think.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 May 2013 09:51:18 48,224 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    @Blerk Silly or not it has said in past eps it has a telepathic interface. point and think.
    I guess that's the only thing that makes any sense. And I guess I can accept that given that he also has the psychic business card. :)

In theory I guess the screwdriver serves the same purpose as the Star Trek: TNG 'particle' - it's a convenient way to resolve a problem within the last ten minutes of a 43 minute show. I still wish the Doctor could outsmart more of the baddies than just rely on a magic stick and/or "the power of love" though.

Edited by Blerk at 09:51:35 13-05-2013
  • Chopsen 13 May 2013 09:58:08 15,176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing that really irritated me about it this episode is that it was completely redundant. He could have just slapped himself in the face with the glove and that'd could have worked. Using the screwdriver to "boost" it was unnecessary.

It's almost as if they're using it on purpose just to drive up merch sales of toy sonic screwdrivers or something.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2013 10:31:56
    Think it was mentioned in the Let's Kill Hitler episode that it now has a psychic interface. Which means it will do whatever he's thinking it to do. It's a bit of a con to be honest as it's now the get out for almost every episode as it can do whatever he wants it to. It's less about this amazing ancient being with super intelligence and how he can figure his way out of situations to "wacky man with a magic stick".

It's all becoming rather tiresome to be honest. Can we not have at least one episode away from men in rubber suits / silly masks as well????
  • TOOTR 13 May 2013 10:52:11 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

I think it's the 'scanning stuff' function that narks me the most. It doesn't even have a display!
    GLOL

and i heartily agree!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 13 May 2013 10:54:06 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In the land before wonky eyes :

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Page

of 373 First / Last