The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 321

• Page

of 407 First / Last

• Whizzo 6 Apr 2013 21:39:38 43,351 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was so awful I thought RTD had come back.

Agreed on the music part too, FUCKING LET US HEAR THE DIALOGUE (sorry had to shout otherwise yet another Murray Gold composition would have made it impossible to hear) even if it is rubbish.

This space left intentionally blank.

• RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 21:41:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It seemed like an interesting idea that was spoiled by terrible pacing.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 21:41:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On a positive note I love the sound of the bass on this version of the theme.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 21:57:29
    The only thing that would have made that episode worse was if it had special guest appearances by Noel Clarke and James Corden.
  • RobAnybody 6 Apr 2013 22:06:00 945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes indeed, more shit from Who under Moffat.

WHY do I keep watching this crap? Simply because, just occasionally, there's a really good episode. Unfortunately these days it's akin to looking for a diamond in a cesspit.

Edited by RobAnybody at 22:06:34 06-04-2013
  • faux-C 6 Apr 2013 22:10:16 9,633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was all a bit twee, but then found myself properly welling up towards the end. Perfectly acceptable but unremarkable episode imho.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 22:17:16
    Slow, tedious, dull, may have featured three dovahkin. It was a fus-rho-dah away from a lawsuit if you ask me.

Clara despite her 'mystery' is a dull and tedious companion who brings nothing to the screen other than gawping like a wide-mouthed frog at everything from the absolutely mundane to the universe shattering.
  • faux-C 6 Apr 2013 22:21:03 9,633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All the companions start off quite wobbly. Until we see them actually face something proper, we can't measure their mettle.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 22:22:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HurbleBurble That's a bit harsh given it's only her second episode. You can't expect the character to be a worldly explorer in 3 days now.
  • Psychotext 6 Apr 2013 23:04:01 55,032 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah well, thought that was shit. No matter, can't really have it all I guess.
  • RobAnybody 6 Apr 2013 23:32:20 945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @HurbleBurble That's a bit harsh given it's only her second episode. You can't expect the character to be a worldly explorer in 3 days now.
    Third - or did you miss the Xmas special?

Fourth if you count the rubbish Dalek episode last series.
  • themanfromdelmonte 7 Apr 2013 13:43:30 595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobAnybody

But from this Clara's POV it's her 2nd story.
  • M83J01P97 7 Apr 2013 13:46:42 6,710 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else get the feeling she is aware of her 'past lives' or whatever they are? She seems to be a little defensive and tries to change the subject when the Doctor basically ask's who she is.

It might actually be refreshing to see an assistant who is fully aware of their 'importance' for once.
  • MatMan562 7 Apr 2013 14:40:26 2,602 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has everyone noticed the couple refrences to the Doctor being 1000 years old whereas in at least one of the last lot of episodes he said he was 1200 years old? It could just be rounding up or it means we're not seeing things in the same order as the Doctor.

And, for what it's worth, I really enjoyed last nights episode but thought the previous weeks' was a bit boring.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• BinaryBob101 7 Apr 2013 17:34:54 24,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    She's gonna be Susan. I'm calling it now.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• TOOTR 7 Apr 2013 18:36:57 9,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leaf it out bob!

Just because the word 'Grandfather' was mentioned you go running off with your wild theories!

;)

Well, I know that I really shouldn't have enjoyed that - far too much turbo screwdriving and SINGING but.... I did!

Nothing made me wince horrifically and the time passed by nicely enough.

I thought the production values were 'ahem' off the planet for a Doctor Who ep.

I like the new assistant! I love Matt Smith as the Doctor.

It's not going to change the world but it's like a comfort blanket to settle into each week for me.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Scimarad 7 Apr 2013 18:49:41 8,633 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed it. Really liked all the aliens near the beginning.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Apr 2013 19:38:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm wondering if she is actually supposed to have a negative role based on the tardis dislike.

Also the doctor implied he had children.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Apr 2013 20:22:27 24,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Susan was locked out of the TARDIS in her final episode.

Coincidence TOOTR?!? I think not!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Daryoon 7 Apr 2013 20:55:59 4,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Christ, the Doctor just blew up fecking Azathoth WITH A LEAF. There's just no pleasing some people...
  • Daryoon 7 Apr 2013 21:00:17 4,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And with the whole Great Intelligence thing going on, it's only a matter of time before he shares a jammy dodger with Cthulhu.

*EDIT* WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME.

Edited by Daryoon at 21:00:37 07-04-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Apr 2013 21:21:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Daryoon Actually that wasn't him.
  • themanfromdelmonte 7 Apr 2013 21:25:26 595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Either 9 or 10 state specifically that The Doctor had been a father. You've got to assume that Susan was his actual Grandaughter from this (RTD said as much in one of the Confidentials). Does make 5's reaction to meeting Susan again after at least 300 years very muted though.
  • Daryoon 7 Apr 2013 21:26:47 4,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Old God" kept sleeping by song? For all intents and purposes, it may have well been! It wouldn't be the first time Who has recycled a Lovecraftian monstrosity in all but name.
  • Daryoon 7 Apr 2013 21:33:37 4,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also: 'Akhaten' a little bit too similar to Akhenaten to be coincidence. Especially since they featured Nefertiti earlier this series...
  • mal 7 Apr 2013 22:24:56 22,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just seen the ep. Rather enjoyed it, but then I do enjoy the soppy ones.

Sound mix was a bit off though - had to turn the volume up to hear the dialogue, then when the 'next ep' trailer came on had to dive for the remote to turn it down again. And the interlacing was off on the titles. Suspect it might have rushed through post production or something.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Darren 8 Apr 2013 14:29:46 9,076 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This week's episode had some lovely visuals but the story itself was woeful IMO and unevenly paced with a weak, rushed ending (you never even saw the Doctor and Clara say farewell to that young girl). The dialogue was dire except for the odd line and the Doctor and Clara both act so jovially that there is no suspense or sense of danger at all. Doctor Who has become a cartoon really; there's nothing remotely believable about the universe the series is set in. Hell, I think the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who produced more impressive stories and drama than anything I've seen in this series for the last three years.

I think Moffat is entirely to blame. Russell Davies might not have been great either but Moffat takes the silliness to new extremes and since he has taken over as producer all the tension and drama has disappeared to be replaced by a smarmy, self-important Doctor and even more overconfident and chirpy companions. I think Moffat should definitely stick to writing - Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace were superb epiosdes for example - and leave the producing to someone else.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 8 Apr 2013 14:38:04 9,076 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Yes indeed, more shit from Who under Moffat.

WHY do I keep watching this crap? Simply because, just occasionally, there's a really good episode. Unfortunately these days it's akin to looking for a diamond in a cesspit.
    I keep watching it in the hope that I'll see a more serious Matt Smith portrayed Doctor Who and some genuine drama, emotions and suspense like Blink or The Girl in the Fireplace. Watch old Classic Who's like Robots of Death or Genesis of the Daleks and you see just how low this series has sunk IMO. Production values and special effects are now vastly superior but everything else is just... bleurgh! Such a criminal waste really. Doctor Who used to be a family show which adults watched with their kids (who hid behind the sofa) but now it's a goofy comedy with silly aliens aimed solely at kids and has little to offer adults (unless you like pretty girls).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• mal 8 Apr 2013 15:42:01 22,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought JLC expressed a fair degree of panic and desperation in this one. And I did believe the Doctor was in a spot of bother when facing up to the big boss near the end, even if it did turn out nice again rather neatly rather quickly in the end.

If I do have a complaint about the dialogue it was at the start where both of them were coming out with cocky slightly left field lines which could have been pretty interchangeable. But once they alighted I found it all jolly entertaining.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 15:46:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darren Problem is its difficult to build tension when you know the doctor will be ok and win through.

I like how Moffat create puzzles through the series to add something. Also, we all spent years complaining that all they did was run away from everything, and now we complain that they are too confident... there's no pleasing us.
  • Page

of 407 First / Last