The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 320

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• Triggerhappytel 31 Mar 2013 22:41:27 2,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did Alex Kingston ever become a proper companion? I remember how in her first couple of episodes (the one in the library) she was painted as super important and possibly the Doctor's future wife; I know she turned out your be Melody Pond, but has her story arc concluded now?
  • mal 31 Mar 2013 23:07:14 21,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, we've seen her death and the time she first met the Doctor I think (I forget, it's all something of a blur now). There are still a few unanswered questions, like when she learned to fly the tardis. I think in the main that character arc's complete though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• themanfromdelmonte 31 Mar 2013 23:22:51 540 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Clara/JLS is bloody gorgeous though. Did everyone spot the missing years in her age count? 16 and 23 were missing.
    JLS? Yeah, noticed the skipped years. I assume she just didn't update the book in those years, or at least forgot to update her age.
    There are theories that she's a metaphor for the series (entertains children, but also adults, died at 26). So 23 being missing could be a reference to the 80s hiatus year. Can't think what 16 could be refering to, tge closest would be the story Shada not being completed, but that was season 17.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2013 23:36:16
    mal wrote:
    Well, we've seen her death and the time she first met the Doctor I think (I forget, it's all something of a blur now). There are still a few unanswered questions, like when she learned to fly the tardis. I think in the main that character arc's complete though.
    Did it ever get resolved how she was flying the tardis when it blew up? And why it blew up?
  • santashi 1 Apr 2013 00:02:28 4,926 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't think we ever found out who was behind that, did we? I'm not sure if they're actually going to go back to it or not given how long ago it was now and how many arcs have come and gone since.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 22:08:59
    Ugh. The Dr Who episodes set in the present are always the worst gimmicky rubbish. Oh what's new, The Olympics! The Shard!

Would you kindly fuck off?
  • NBZ 1 Apr 2013 22:25:42 2,347 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did anyone else spot James Corden trapped in one of the screens?

(hopefully that means his character is dead...)

Edited by NBZ at 22:26:11 01-04-2013
  • Megapocalypse 1 Apr 2013 22:43:57 5,228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought that was him.
  • RobTheBuilder 1 Apr 2013 22:44:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No! Good spot!
  • Darren 1 Apr 2013 22:51:59 8,312 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Terrible episode in my opinion with an annoyingly chirpy Doctor which drains away any chance of tension or drama. Personally I am really starting to find Matt Smith's portrayal to be completely overacted and the new companion is irritatingly smug too. Where have the sensible stories, serious Doctor and likeable companions gone? Doctor Who now is more like panto than SF... I am starting to really dislike the series. It misses far more than it hits these days...

Edited by Darren at 22:53:09 01-04-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• M83J01P97 1 Apr 2013 22:55:16 6,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    No! Good spot!
    Seeing James Corden on our screens is never a good thing in my opinion.
  • mal 1 Apr 2013 23:50:54 21,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Terrible episode in my opinion with an annoyingly chirpy Doctor which drains away any chance of tension or drama. Personally I am really starting to find Matt Smith's portrayal to be completely overacted and the new companion is irritatingly smug too. Where have the sensible stories, serious Doctor and likeable companions gone? Doctor Who now is more like panto than SF... I am starting to really dislike the series. It misses far more than it hits these days...
    We haven't had a doctor with any edge since Ecclestone, and even then his portrayal was undermined by the ridiculous stories towards the end of his series.

Even in old who it's a long time since the stories have worked as effective thrillers. Certainly for me even when they've written that way, the doctor character has always been too cartoonish for it to work reliably.

• RobTheBuilder 2 Apr 2013 00:13:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think to expect too much tension and seriousness from a character that is 1000 years old and has seen everything a million times is asking for a little unrealism ..!
  • mal 2 Apr 2013 00:40:33 21,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)

• TOOTR 2 Apr 2013 18:55:05 9,473 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What was all that leaf being the first page gubbins?

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• DanB24 2 Apr 2013 19:10:56 1,389 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine we'll find out. :)
  • RobTheBuilder 2 Apr 2013 20:10:30 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TOOTR well, she had a book by Amy, and River I think grew up in a forest, so maybe that.
    The doctor appeared to notice something unusual about it.

Or what was the tree woman in the early RTD series?
  • mal 5 Apr 2013 04:12:25 21,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently, the BBC found this guy doing colourisation of old black and white stuff on Youtube and set about getting him to colourise all the old Doctor Who episodes. Now that he's done that, BBC Worldwide have slapped two copyright infringement claims against his youtube account and basically forced him off the site.

Nice work, BBC.

• X201 5 Apr 2013 06:55:21 14,692 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Apparently, the BBC found this guy doing colourisation of old black and white stuff on Youtube and set about getting him to colourise all the old Doctor Who episodes. Now that he's done that, BBC Worldwide have slapped two copyright infringement claims against his youtube account and basically forced him off the site.

Nice work, BBC.
    Huge company with separate departments that act separately, has a department that acts separately.

Seeing as he works in the same industry its amazing that he didn't have an understanding of copyright. He risks damaging his business with daft failures like that.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 5 Apr 2013 07:51:13 6,999 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mal is there background to this story? What do you mean the BBC "got him to" - did they pay him? Ask him nicely? Did they provide with the original footage?

Would be really interested to know more as his work is really good!
  • mal 5 Apr 2013 18:26:14 21,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, no more background I'm afraid. I only came across this after there was already a twitterstorm about it, so it's very hard to find any unbiased information about what's going on. What I wrote is only as vague as it needs to be.

• Jmek 5 Apr 2013 18:51:33 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dear lord, they're bringing back the Zygons:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61770

Well at least they haven't slapped tits on them I suppose?
  • themanfromdelmonte 5 Apr 2013 19:01:56 540 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The guy is a regular on the Gallifrey Base forum. (from memory) He's recoloured Mind of Evil episode 1 (the only colour episode to have been properly filtered, while being transfered to 16mm black and white film for overseas distribution. Hence, it has no Chromadot data for clour recovery ala other episodes of this story and some from Ambassadors of Death, Planet of the Daleks and Invasion of the Dinosaurs). He's an enthusiast, rather than a pro and has done the work on a voluntary basis, as have the colour recovery guys.

As has been said, different departments of a large corporation. The work he's done is for the Restoration Team, working for 2 entertain, which is part of BBC worldwide. I'd imagine some legal/copyright department deals with Youtube vids which breach the beebs i.p.

I'm pretty sure he'd be aware that there has been a certain ammount of tolerance from the beeb, over the years regarding fan clips and recons in various forms. But it was never set in stone that it would last. It's a shame but nothing to knot your knickers over. His version of Mind of Evil 1, is the definitive version from here on in. He's managed to contribute to the programme and his input will live on far longer than any youtube clips.

I'll see if he's posted on GB when I've time. But now, I'm off to the pub.
  • M83J01P97 5 Apr 2013 19:22:39 6,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jmek wrote:
    Dear lord, they're bringing back the Zygons:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61770

Well at least they haven't slapped tits on them I suppose?
    Cool facelift?

It looks even more like a sex toy now.
  • Folant 6 Apr 2013 20:05:34 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hate when they do this.

Not translating an alien language when in close proximity to the TARDIS.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• M83J01P97 6 Apr 2013 20:51:19 6,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sorry, but when has anyone ever been hit with a leaf in their face and then stumbled into the middle of a road apparently unable to remove said leaf from their face...

Was an alright episode, better than last's week by a long shot.

I'm guessing we are meant to read into the whole "It doesn't like me" remake when she tried to get into the Tardis?
  • Folant 6 Apr 2013 20:58:19 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but when has anyone ever been hit with a leaf in their face and then stumbled into the middle of a road apparently unable to remove said leaf from their face...

Was an alright episode, better than last's week by a long shot.

I'm guessing we are meant to read into the whole "It doesn't like me" remake when she tried to get into the Tardis?
    To be fair, I thought is was to do with the little girl at first. being the time person thing or whatever the fuck she was

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Waffleaber 6 Apr 2013 21:03:07 309 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought this weeks was terrible. Almost nothing of interest, no sense of threat, pace or any entertainment for me.

I really liked last weeks though so what do I know.
  • Chopsen 6 Apr 2013 21:23:30 15,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, same here. Found last week's entertaining enough but this week's was just awful. Absolutely nothing of interest about it.

The one thing I've noticed is that for poorer episodes, the music seems even more irritating and intrusive than it normally is. I don't know if this is because I'm not really getting in to the episode and therefore more likely to notice the music, or if they decide when scoring it they go "god this is awful. Quick! Add in more orchestra!"
  • Page

of 373 First / Last